pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

keyboard-layout-editor.com/,
builder.swillkb.com/
keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/samples/pkb.json
iandoug.com/?cat=12
aliexpress.com/item/DIY-key-cap-Retro-steam-punk-typewriter-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-108-104-87-keys-for-gaming/32802113849.html
kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9W13T94457
aliexpress.com/item/Mechanical-keyboard-pbt-keyboarded-a-large-black-keyboard-keyboarded/32740037614.html
aliexpress.com/item/87-keys-mechanical-keyboard-TKL-tenkeyless-gaming-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-brown-blue-red-87-compact/32285359058.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How hard is it to modify an ergodox?

I have had it with my Razer Orbweaver and it's crappy quality and construction.

Basically I want to wire a four way switch that recognizes 8 directions and control what the 8 inputs do with the software.

And if you don't know, where should I ask?

I have a ducky shine 3 and wanted an aftermarket aluminum case for it. I never got around to it due to the warranty, but it's like 3-4 years old now so I doubt the warranty is there anymore. It was also pretty expensive last I remember..

Are there any cheap aluminum housing available for it?

Install. Gentoo

I like keyboards

Thank you
So nice
Nice board

I want more keyboards

I recommend Gentoo

How long does it take tp get used to a 60% keyboard? Will be getting my pok3r today coming from a g710+.

just get a pro micro clone from china and set it up to send whatever inputs you want

couple days to get used to where the Fn layer mappings are. Couple weeks to get it to become second nature

should I get the noppo Lolita?

recc me a keeb that has a dip switch to swap ctrl and capslock. I only know the HHKB and KUL ES

I went from a fullsize blackwidow to a Pok3r and I don't think I'll ever go back to fullsize keyboards again.

You could get a Pok3r and just use a new layer.

Does it have to be a dip switch specifically or will a fully programmable TADA68 work

I've got a hardon for dip switches

Can someone describe the difference in typing with OEM profile vs Cherry profile keycaps?

Magicfore 68 or the 82

Is 60% good for productivity? I kind of dismissed them in favour of 75% at first but I've been reconsidering lately.

Mainly going to be used for gaming, programming and shitposting. I have been trying to use vim more so maybe I can make do without all the usual cursor control keys, but having to press two keys just for function keys seems annoying.

How does one go about creating their own keyboard? Getting the frame right seems like the biggest issue to me.

Everything is closer together, but the function layers will become second nature. It even saves milliseconds where you would be moving your hand around the keyboard and looking for the keys.

First ask your self. Do you want plate mount or PCB mount. If you go with plate mount, then you don't need a PCB so you can handwire the whole thing together. After picking the switches you get a controler, or if you went with PCB mount many of those already have the controler built in. Now you get a case. You can just get a piece of wood and shape it how you want, or go to a place that has a CNC and have them cut you an acrylic case.

Huh, so just a matter of getting used to it then.

And recommendations? I'd prefer something with programmable layers if possible (I have no idea if this is widespread or very niche), and not too expensive. Britbong if it matters.

>Do you want plate mount or PCB mount. If you go with plate mount, then you don't need a PCB so you can handwire the whole thing together.
Do you just glue the switches to an aluminium plate or something then? Or what do you do?

>Now you get a case. You can just get a piece of wood and shape it how you want, or go to a place that has a CNC and have them cut you an acrylic case.
How do you get it to the right spacing and shit though? I haven't found any standard sizings for these, while there definitely are standards for them.

>Do you just glue the switches to an aluminium plate or something then? Or what do you do?
No its a plate that the switches snap into
>How do you get it to the right spacing and shit though? I haven't found any standard sizings for these, while there definitely are standards for them.
Its a case, so just measure the size of the PCB or plate and build something that will fit it. There are standard parts, unless you want something custom.

The new poker 2 on amazon has a dip switch that does that

Oh okay, now I get it. Thanks for the info, that looks pretty doable then as long as I can find a decent 75% plate and controller.

Cherry profile is much shorter, so you don't need to hold your fingers up as high. It's actually really noticeable, they feel like half the height. I'd highly recommend cherry profile, having used OEM most of the time before getting some enjoypbt caps.

Why do people use numpads? I've literally never touched mine, ever.

Is it just for spreadsheet data entry?

I prefer it for most number entries above 3 or so numbers, and I really like it if I need to calculate something really quick. It's just something I grew accustomed to though.

Fair enough. Personally I would probably never move my hand away from the main keyboard just for something like that.

I'm going through building one myself, user, so I can answer these questions:

>Getting the frame right seems like the biggest issue to me
It's not that bad in practice. Here's what to do:

1. Go to keyboard-layout-editor.com/, choose a preset, and start removing, adding, or moving around keys.

2. When you like the layout, click on the "Raw data" tab

3. Copy the raw data and paste it in the "Case layout" field at the top of builder.swillkb.com/

4. builder.swillkb.com will have several adjustment options, but has great explanations for all of them if you click on the little question marks

5. When you're done, click on "draw my cad". It will give you a bunch of .svg or .dwg files that you can send to a company that cuts metal or acrylic

6. Take the .svg or .dwg files and send them to a company that does custom metal or acrylic cutting, and they'll make a perfect plate for you. (There's a link to lasergist.com, for example, on builder.swillkb). If you're lucky and have access to a laser cutter or 3d printer, you can even make the case yourself and save tons of money.

7. Alternatively, just buy a pre-made empty case, plate, and PCB, but then your options will be much more limited to things like the ergodox or 40% meme shit like the planck KB.

>>Do you want plate mount or PCB mount. If you go with plate mount, then you don't need a PCB so you can handwire the whole thing together.
>Do you just glue the switches to an aluminium plate or something then? Or what do you do?

The question about plate or PCB mount is kind of misleading. There's no difference, "PCB mount" switches still have the small clips that let them snap into a 1.5mm plate. The only difference is that PCB-mount switches have a couple extra plastic nubs on the bottom that you can safely and easily snip off if they're in your way.

If your plate is thicker than 1.5mm you'll probably need to glue them down or, (much better than glue) solder them to a PCB.

try doing anything that requires a lot of numbers and you'll see why you'd want a numpad

This. I can't stand using keyboards without them

Where in the hell does that thing you're making go in a keyboard?

On another note, I always wondered why solidworks ended up with so much market share when inventor was far easier to use.

I fully believe you could learn to be fast enough with the regular number row to be able to input numbers like that without issue.

Sure you could be "fast enough", but it's never going to match the speed and ergonomics of actually typing on the numpad. See, look at how fast I can type this:

I'll also add that using the numpad is great for applications like 3D modeling where heavy mouse usage is essential--it's generally much easier to move one hand between the mouse and the numpad than it is between the mouse and the number row.

Also, the numpad makes a great secondary set of directional buttons. Blender 3D, for all the faults with its terrible UI, does a great job utilizing the numpad to control the 3D view.

Okay, that is actually a use case for one handed input. I already considered it (miles) better if you only could use one hand, but I could only think of being lazy.

>Where in the hell does that thing you're making go in a keyboard?
Nowhere, it's not for a keyboard

pic related, it's the first iteration of it after some stress testing

Thanks a lot. I was hoping for an easy to use tool like this, but I assumed it just wasn't available.

Nani?!? H-He's fast!

So these threads are just about being consumer whores? Good to know you all are fucking cunts.

you must be blind

>it's generally much easier to move one hand between the mouse and the numpad than it is between the mouse and the number row.
Why not get an MMO mouse with a numpad?

>b-but muh GAYming shit!
They're not going to bite you. They generally have good build quality and sensors, and come in a variety of shapes for your favourite meme grip.
I personally am not a fan but then I don't use a numpad at all. I have a friend who swears by them though.

That sounds like a terrible way to input numbers mate.

With autocad software having full number pad is much easier to work with then whatever janky solution your friend swears by.

Holy shit, are we back to debating this?
Is it SO hard to understand that some job require inputting a lot of numbers and some jobs barely ever require you to do that?
Same as how a 60% board just doesn't make sense for a non-programmer.
It al boils down to picking the best tools for your specific needs.
Can we move on already?

I don't think we were debating that. We were debating if a number pad is faster. Personally, I still don't think it's faster if you have two hands on the keyboard.
How does a 60% even help a programmer? Only real benefit I see for a smaller form-factor is easier mouse access, something a programmer needs even less.

>He doesn't know
For programming the smaller the keyboard the better your code is.

>How does a 60% even help a programmer?
It's not that it helps a programmer so much as a programmer has an easier time adapting to a 60% board with little reduction in productivity.
I mean, I tried vim and emacs before. With those, you only need the home row.
Plus, despite how much Sup Forums hates Apple. most programmers LOVE minimalism.

We have good jobs.
We make good money.
So we use that money to make ourselves happy in a healthy way.
Fuck off, poorfags.

Do you buy your plates for mounting switches or do you print those as well?

THIS 100%
I hate it when poorfags think their onions matter.
I bought pic related with the tips I made from working as a gas station attendant in just one day.

kek

But my onions are cool man.

I'd probably have to get something laser-cut, or have a ton of support, if I wanted to make something larger, but the numpad plate is 3D printed. Works pretty well, it's handwired and the case is so compact that there's literally no flex whatsoever.

What's wrong with Apple isn't minimalism, it's the lack of customisation.

Bloat is heresy, and minimalistic ganoo+linux is all the rage

I love it how people use money to invalidate other people's arguments. News flash - wasting silly amounts of money on a product you don't need doesnt make you an all knowing being.

Man it must really suck being so poor. You can never enjoy the fine things life has to offer.

>wasting silly amounts of money on a product you don't need doesnt make you an all knowing being.
please stop you're making me feel uncomfortable

If I were constantly typing 1-digit numbers, then sure an mouse with a numpad may be helpful. But honestly apart from that, I have no idea how typing multi-digit numbers using only your thumb can possibly be faster than even using a 40% memeboard.

Also, the numpad isn't just numbers. Having the -, ., and enter all make it fast to input equations or dimensions.

The resident australia cunt consistently shows himself to be the only tripfag with OK taste (for now)

I got those love life figurines from crane games I swear

I'm not strayan though

>having to press two keys just for function keys seems annoying
this

when you have both hands on your keyboard it's alright i guess but if you use a mouse it's nice to have dedicated keys and a 75% board only takes up an extra row and column of space

you can get a decent entry-level mechanical keyboard for $40 or less. and one with top tier keycaps for $75-100.

Huh, for some reason I got the wrong impression you were strayan (maybe complaining about shipping or something). You're still a cunt, though, in the australian sense.

Where can I find keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/samples/pkb.json ? Searching for "programmer's keyboard" is not very helpful

you too user-kun

Guys they are selling jamesdonkey gateron keyboards(TKL) for around 40 usd right now on gearbest. GoGoGo.

No, but honestly these keyboards are amazing for the price. Front plate is metal, but the backplate is plastic. Cable is detachable and a micro usb cable not a mini. There are basic color functionalities and only one color. No clattering at all when I tested. Overall still, an excellent price for a gateron keyboard.

There is my review go.

Looks disgusting.

Well the keycaps do desu. I really like this combination I did with different keycaps.

My brother got one, and complained that the back of the case wasn't quite level, so it wobbled. Any problems like that with yours?

Even if it's wobbly, it still seems like a great deal to me, honestly.

I never had anything like that. I just wish it was a bit more elevated but when I compared my turtle beaches cherry mx keyboard with it, it was around the same height.

maltron is a bit similar

iandoug.com/?cat=12

tell him to put it flat on the desk without the feet flipped out

if it's still wobbly, make sure it's the keyboard and not the desk, place it on a kitchen counter or something and see if it's still wobbly

could try bending the keyboard gently

Shame, no new posts in a long while

So which keycap is the thiccest
Gateron > Vortex > NPKC> Taihao?

How is a mech keyboard with an aesthetic that's primo hipster bait only end up at 100 bucks? Something is fucky. Did anyone ever get this?

Those keycaps are only around 30 bucks dude... They are not that expensive. Plus they are probably not selling specifically to the american market yet.

the keycaps suck and the keyboard looks like some generic cheap chink board

you can get just the keycaps if you want

aliexpress.com/item/DIY-key-cap-Retro-steam-punk-typewriter-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-108-104-87-keys-for-gaming/32802113849.html

Fair enough. I don't know that much about mechanical keyboard, I mean I'm still using a corsair from before I knew wtf I was doing. I'm prob due for an update soon.

Go exploring, but only look for gateron or cherry switches specifically. The others are all just terrible.

how would you rate that mouse.
its been tempting me a lot lately

g502?
It is good for gaming.... I mean it kinda depends on if you like it in your palm or not. All of them are different. I prefer a zowie mouse since it is the closes thing to the old microsoft mouse that is on the market.

Not that user but it's pretty good. Sensor is one of the best, can't complain about the shape either.
I came from a G700s and I prefer the latter's shape, but I know a lot of people don't. I also prefer the G700s's scroll wheel. But the G502 is a lot lighter.

If you don't need buttons though consider G403

these have a good bang for the buck depending on what you're looking for and your budget

kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils

or

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9W13T94457
aliexpress.com/item/Mechanical-keyboard-pbt-keyboarded-a-large-black-keyboard-keyboarded/32740037614.html

I wouldn't get the 2 keyboards you recommended just because the keycaps for those layouts are an absolute bitch to find. just get a tkl like the james donkey that some user recommended. They are amazing for 40 bucks.

I'll look around, will probably post again once I narrow it down some.

Are there cheapo (~$50) keyboard with cherry clears out there?

craigslist? No that is asking for too little desu. Cherries are premium expensive and top of it all you want clears, one of the rare switches. That is going to be though to find.

>WTF.png
No you didn't.

aliexpress.com/item/87-keys-mechanical-keyboard-TKL-tenkeyless-gaming-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-brown-blue-red-87-compact/32285359058.html

Regarding these keyboards with programmable keys or RGB lightning (iKBC, Pok3r, Ducky, ...) do the settings persist when you unplug the keyboard or do they only have volatile memory?

the cheapest ones (james donkey etc) don't have persistent memory but the ones you mentioned do have it