DIY builders struggle to meet price with fewer features

you fags sure got told....

appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/09/imac-pro-cost-blows-away-similar-lenovo-workstation-diy-builders-struggle-to-meet-price-with-fewer-features

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dLcWTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/LkDgcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/h8jfgL
appleinsider
pcpartpicker.com/list/vzpy2R
blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio
144hzmonitors.com/best-photo-editing-monitor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>A $120 retail Windows 10 license Tax isn't included with the PC Gamer piece, nor is any consideration for the "cost" of the user's labor to assemble the computer.

Fuck that noise. I can do better for $5000, the literal price for this turd.

prove it, spec out the build

>AMD is raping Jewtel
>Apple makes a computer bang for the buck (with possible thermal issues thanks to Intel Housefire Xeons
>Trump is mining salt as crazy
Best timeline ever.

he can't

More like I'm not going to waste my time. Repeat after me:
FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS

>he can't

This isn't completly accurate, though. Apple in the past did some other computers that where bang for the buck in their times, but Apple went lazy and then became overpriced machines relatively quickly (I'm watching you, Mac Pro 6,1)

fuck off retard

>a 1300W power supply listed as 92 percent taxed
that's not what that means, the max consumption as specced is probably well under 500W.
E5-2620v4 is 85W, the M5000 is 150W.

>guys i totally can do a skateboard flip i just don't feel like it right now
>also my dad works for nintendo

Not him, but if I can get a list of the crapple specs, I'll give it a shot

> For $4999, users get an undeclared 8-core Xeon processor, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, a single 10-Gig Ethernet port, 1TB of SSD storage, 32Gb of 2666 MHz ECC RAM, and as-yet unreleased Vega graphics

bullshit
pcpartpicker.com/list/dLcWTH
under $3500 for equal or better parts, only thing missing is the thunderbolt expandability, since intel sucks at moving their own tech on desktops.

No OS, no 10GbE, monitor is discontinued

apple's OS is "free"
there isn't any consumer boards with 10GbE until x299 launches
the LG 5k monitor still doesn't take it over-budget.

OS is always free

Some idiot on reddit make stupid comparation.

I also pulled up the exact same configuration and got it $400 cheaper.

There are some things to note here.

You are getting a dual CPU motherboard with 16 available DIMM slots.
You are getting a workstation graphics card valued around $1800 to $2000.
You are getting a much better monitor than the Apple monitor.
You are getting 3 Years ON-SITE support.
1300W power supply listed as 92 percent

Basically they're incomparable.

>apple's OS is "free"
AKA baked in to the cost
> there isn't any consumer boards with 10GbE until x299 launches
That may be, but you're still not matching specs, so thunderbolt isn't the only thing missing (and it's still missing in a big way if you only have one port)
If you hit the pcpartpicker link from pcgamer it shows the total as $3349.52, cheaper than their article says ($4686.71):
pcpartpicker.com/list/LkDgcc

>You are getting a workstation graphics card
iMac pro is supposed to have a workstation card as well, although nobody knows until it ships.
>You are getting a much better monitor than the Apple monitor.
$5400 for the lenovo doesn't include any monitor. Post a screenshot of your config that's cheaper?

where can i find the specs for the imac pro ?

Mac graphics are rebrand gaming Radeon.
Nvidia workstation graphics had support for dozens design,3D and Engineers software.

Mac lack support for software, Apple trick is compare gaming card price to workstation graphics, making thousand of dollar on side apple.

X299 begin platform Apple are based iMac pro.

what the fuck am i reading

pcpartpicker.com/list/h8jfgL
I upped everything to the most expensive equivalent options and added the 10GbE card, still under $5000,

This article is full of shit, DIY people are not having problems outspeccing the imac pro at that price, integraters might because they don't have the strings to pull like apple does, and rightfully don't want to cut their profit margins.

>I don't know the specs but I'm sure that I'm right because muh Windows muh gaymes muh /r/pcmastuurrrrayce

>LE OVERPRICED HARDWARE MAYMAY XD I CAN BILLED MY OWN UGLY LOUD BLOATED SPACE HEATER FOR CHEAPER
Sup Forums BTFO

it's getting radeon vega, did you wach the presentation? Pricing isn't official yet, but there's no way it'll exceed GTX titan pricing.

Is that really all you get? Jesus fuck, you can do that for 3 grand tops on Windows.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/h8jfgL
You've still got fewer features, your one and only thunderbolt3 port will be used up driving the 5k monitor (and that at a lower res), and the NIC doesn't support Nbase-T (2.5 and 5Gbps).
So while you may be close (and probably good enough for the usage of the purchaser), you're still not meeting or beating the iMac pro in every spec.

> This article is full of shit, DIY people are not having problems outspeccing the imac pro at that price, integraters might because they don't have the strings to pull like apple does, and rightfully don't want to cut their profit margins.
Totally agree, article is crap, but the kinds of people that would buy the iMac pro aren't going to be building it themselves. The comparison with the Lenovo workstation is still valid IMO.

>Windows
you're obviously downgrading.

You can install OSuX on it if you like, won't change the price.

Not with the superior aplel display

Display doesn't cost 2 grand alone.

>Builders can't spec out a comparable build using undeclared and unreleased parts.
>APPLEL IS WINRAR!!!!!!!!

>8bit trash

> no way it'll exceed GTX titan pricing
How much is the titan? Most of the lists in this thread are using the GTX980Ti, seems like it'd be more than that at least.

The graphics card that will come with the mac is going to be more like $2000

>bang for the buck
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Neither of those shitposting machines are bang for buck tier
they are "im a huge faggot raep my face" tier

>imac starting at 5k
>assuming it will have all the parts listed as "up to"

I don't think it's fair to part together a computer and try to say it's less money.

You need to find one that comes put together and warrantied to work together as a unit and is shipped that way. That would be the competition

not a bunch of cobbled together parts

You're fucking retarded.

why is it a requirement to pick the same components?

for 5k you can build a superior machine with like three 4k displays and a fuckton of I/O

actually the thunderbolt coudln't be used for the display, since it's not linked to the graphics adapter.

the 1080Ti and the titan Xp support DP1.4 which can drive 5k 60Hz.

>appleinsider

Hold on a second, how do they already know the performance necessary to beat the iMac? Especially that Vega?
Also
>downgrades the power supply to 1000W which might be too low for reliability

What?

All the builds are using this, which takes DP input from the GPU.
You still can't drive the LG ultrafine 5k at full resolution since that requires apple special sauce to run dual DP over TB3.
If you don't have TB3 you can't drive the LG ultrafine 5k at any resolution since it doesn't have DP in.

>I don't think it's fair to part together a computer and try to say it's less money.
>You need to find one that comes put together and warrantied to work together as a unit and is shipped that way. That would be the competition
>not a bunch of cobbled together parts

he's right you know

5k is retarded and useless at 27".

ASRock has X370 consumer boards with 10G.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>downgrades the power supply to 1000W which might be too low for reliability
see they think the workstation is using 92% of 1300W, which is pants on head retarded.

DELET

I rounded it up.
I could not effectively match the specifications, so you get more, but pay more.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vzpy2R

>os
Linux bitch

That's exactly my point. That must draw 600-650w at the absolute most.
But still the kicker is we don't know what kind of parts the iMac has, for all we know it could be a chink type psu. Also since all they did with the MBP was grab a consumer gpu and call it a "pro", I'll refrain from comparing it to quadros for now.

All in one desktops are retarded. It has all the disadvantages of a laptop AND a desktop.

>Worse thermals
>No user replaceable parts
>No (internal) expansion Possibilities
>Can't take it with you

>>No user replaceable parts
except for the hard drive, ram and processor

>Even the DIY crowd can't meet the iMac Pro price
There you have it folks, Apple's shill squad thinks that Lenovo is a DIY group that competes with Apple's price point.

Or does AppleInsider only hire homosexuals that can't English?

>get more
Ok, but you still lack TB3, 2.5/5GbE, and a 5k display
You might not need them but it's hardly better if you're doing any kind of work that needs them.
Got a link? The only ones I see have 2.5 and 5GbE.
Totally agree, but I suspect this is targeted at business users who will never upgrade or replace parts at the component level.
Basically people who buy iMacs now and can't justify a full Mac Pro setup can get this (meaning, they can request it from their IT department)
It's not for people like me and you.

1) nobody will buy an iMac pro
2) people who have enough money will rather spend just on the monitor $3k for an EIZO or even more on a Sony OLED
3) if the old McTrashcan overheated what will happen to this?

Overall I give around 3 points out of 10

>what is reading comprehension

>What is basic exposition in the English language

Do people not realize that $5000 is the STARTING price? The fully specced price will be much higher.

Those aren't user replaceable, as they are hard to get to and void warranty if you open it up. Except for ram, I had no idea the imac had a ram door.

>TB3, 2.5/5GbE
He has PCI and displayport so no need for TB, and he has 10gbit Ethernet.

>implying

>what is pirating

TB3 is useless and relatively unavailable.
>2.5/5gbE
What. It has a 10gbE card. Who needs slower shit.
I did not see a 5k monitor in the specs I got.

Regardless, the point is that the Mac is hard to build to because it's using junk. I went with a 12 core because they don't make 8 cores that crack 3ghz for any benefit in price.
I went with 64gb of ram because it is the smarter choice.
I originally planned for a 2tb ssd because 1 is not enough, but the fucking p5000 is so expensive. Speaking of, it is a notable gpu. A true enterprise gpu that isn't some cut down mobile chip like they will use in the mac.

>10gbit Ethernet
>implying this is even useful

don't even want it

Wow.
Even my 5 year old EIZO can do native 10 bit (and 3D LUT which I'm assuming the iMac lacks) and 93% DCI which was pretty good at the time (probably only the HP LP2480zx had better coverage with its full RGB backlight)

Maybe in 6 months when this thing actually comes out the parts going into it will be a little cheaper

prices of computer parts tend to go down over time

What you are not factoring in is when some normie has an issue with his imac pro, he can just take the whole thing to a store in his town and they will fix it for free under warranty.

if you build your own you have to trouble shoot driver issues and cooling issues and who knows what and firmware updates and make sure everything works together then if anything breaks narrow down what is broken yourself and deal with that specific manufacturer over the phone and through the mail

that service of the whole device being under one warranty with intown repair is worth a lot to a normie

Lenovo use x99, iMac pro would use x299, x299 add Ethernet 10Gbps, still x299 need to be release.

Do you not realize that everyone is trying to meet the base specs?
> no need for TB
Debatable, but as far as a line item it's still missing
(also SD card reader but that's more minor)
> has 10gbit Ethernet
10GbE isn't always backwards compatible, 2.5 and 5 are actually newer than 10Gb.
Again, likely not a deal killer but still something the iMac Pro has that your build does not.
> 3ghz
Nobody said the 8-core is over 3GHz.
If you don't use TB3 that's fine, but this is geared towards people who use things like this:
blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

Anything under 3ghz in 2017 is fucking pathetic.
Someone posted earlier a solution for thunderbolt

MACTODDLERS COOKED AGAIN

Even if you buy all the necessary components to match iMac Pro's specs, you'll still end up with SHIT user experience. And your resale value will be 50% less too.

Going against iMac Pro is a LOSE-LOSE proposition.

Apple wins again. Apple poojeet haters on a suicide watch!

>Anything under 3ghz in 2017 is fucking pathetic.
Few xeons have a base clock of 3GHz or higher
>Someone posted earlier a solution for thunderbolt
Yeah, the ThunderboltEX 3 is single port and ASUS only. Won't work with your EVGA board.

>match iMac Pro's specs
A shitty 8bit monitor from 1995?

>dat butthurt
stay mad POOJEET!

So pick the Asus. I only went with the board I had because it was like $10 cheaper
>most aren't 3ghz
Still doesn't mean they aren't pathetic.

ITODDLERS

PERPETUALLY

CONTINUALLY

CONSTANTLY

INCESSANTLY

EVERLASTINGLY

UNREMITTINGLY

INTERMINABLY

PERMANENTLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

>macfags think apple uses pro cards

Hahahahaha

I for one think the new imac computer is great

The 5k display is going to push monitor makers to step it the fuck up, and they fucking need to. I'm sick of every year getting a rehash of 27" 1080p 60hz screens. What in the flying fuck are these companies even doing?

Where's my 4k/5k 32" 10-bit HDR ultrawide with low input lag and 120-144hz refresh rate and adaptive sync?

Why is it taking so long to get this out on the market? They were showing all this tech off 3 fucking years ago, and instead of actually fucking making it they just dump another 1080p screen on the market instead.

>A shitty 8bit 5k display with an applel sticker is going to push monitor makers to step it the fuck up

Something that 13 year olds do. Something that I haven't done in over 15 years, and I still haven't spent more than 50 bucks in software in that time.

can you get any more stupid?
the new iMac Pro doesn't ship until December

you can't try to compare prices with a machine already in the market, 6 months in advance

in December, you are paying the Apple tax BIG TIME, lad

Let me know when your """"""""great""""""" display can do true 10-bit instead of just faking it.
144hzmonitors.com/best-photo-editing-monitor/

>18-core processor and high end video card cooled by 2 tiny laptop fans
Man, this thing is going to thermal throttle like a bitch.

>drop monitor
>instead of losing $800 max you lose $5000
How is no one afraid of this? It's bound to happen to some.

What did he mean by this?

I'm not defending apple but dude, you're putting the imac pro price tag on the regular imac.
The 5K iMac Pro does have a 10bit screen.

MACTODDLERS

PERPETUALLY

CONTINUALLY

CONSTANTLY

INCESSANTLY

EVERLASTINGLY

UNREMITTINGLY

INTERMINABLY

PERMANENTLY

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

UNTIL THE END OF TIME

>t. mactoddler

>lol windows is expensive, people pretend it's not a tax
>I don't pirate, you can't pirate, it's cheap anyways

Pick one faggot

>it's easy just break the law lol

not an argument

How will mactoddlers EVER recover?

Why no Ryzen build? Easily shaves off $1000+ over a Xeon.

you get what you pay for