/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA/miners buying all RX570s)
>1070 - if on heavy sale-ish
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity/scratch disk/VMs
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Nv8LXH
pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/d92TWZ
pcpartpicker.co/list/dhZNHN
pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/YxmvK8
pcpartpicker.com/list/TwYVQV
pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2401/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Analysis/
legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259
pcworld.com/article/3180511/
eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll ask again from the last thread
I currently have most of the components for a Skylake build, all I need is the RAM, and am planning on buying a 16GB kit for about $150 (AUD), and then could add a new graphics card to it.
I know of a guy on gumtree (Aus' version of craigslist, essentially) that's selling an old LGA1366 system It'd be about $250 for the computer, hopefully upgrading its' CPU to a 6 core Xeon X5650 (+$80), upgrade to 24GB (+$80 from what I already have), and maybe adding a new graphics card.
I'd like to go for one or the other, to try and maximise what I get from it.
Currently out of a job, and have managed to keep aside about $500 from my last pay prior to being fired.
Would anyone mind sparing their opinions on it?
Cheers for reading this mess lads.

>first freesync 2 screens released
>27", 32" and monstrous 49"
>takeallmymoney.jpg
>none are 4k

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK sake samsung. A 4k freesync 2 screen is one of the two remaining parts I need to enter meme territory with a ryzen, freesync 2 and ful lfat vega system.

If you are dropping thw money on a 4K freesync 2 screen as soon as they come out, why not get Threadripper?

Don't need that sort of cpu horsepower - for my needs my 1700 is overkill but it was either that or a 7700k. Honestly the monitor is my biggest hurdle as I plan to keep it for a long time so I need a good one.

Are there any modern games that can't run smoothly at 1440p 60hz on a 1070, assuming very high settings but no bullshit settings that have extreme diminishing returns in regards to visual quality?

I didn't have much room in my budget for a monitor, so I bought a BenQ GL2460HM. Did I fuck up? Gpu is only a 1060 6gb.

Best CPU cooler under $30 (barring the 212)? Looking to get one for AM4 not sure if the availability of the mounting hardware is still hit or miss.

Many as cpu is a factor too.

You need a good CPU and 16GiB too.

I've got a i5 6600k and I'm planning to get 8 more gigs of RAM even if it would be useless for gaming

8 GB is fine for 1080p but if you want stable framerates at high resolutions then you'll need 16.

Doom. Probably.
I run it at 115fps on the highest settings possible (excluding megatextures, since 4GB VRAM) at 1080p.

I'm on a RX 570Nitro+ (no OC) and R7 [email protected]

yeah, I'm getting 8 more so I'll have 16

and how important is vram for my 1070?
I only have a 60hz monitor though, but since a 1080p monitor has like 56% the pixel count of a 1440p, would 100 fps 1080p be equivalent to 56 fps 1440p, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm building a R5 1600 rig. Got a couple questions:

>Is MSI B350 PC Mate a good choice for a motherboard? It's the cheapest and I'm not seeing negative opinions about it.
>Does it matter what RAM I get? I read there's problems with overclocking RAM for more than 2666MHz or whatever, so I guess I'm not buying anything with higher frequencies. Are there any manufacturers I should stay away from? I'm aiming for 2x8GB.
>Which GTX1060 is the best?
>How much watt PSU for the stuff above?

Is it desperate to pretend a 600$ configuration which can more productive than a 600$ laptop? What would you suggest?

that's not how you greentext, please stop using it.

Yes, the b350 PC mate is a great board.
The RAM overclocking should get fixed soon, a lot of bios updates have rolled out in the past few days for it and the PC mate will receive one in the following days.
You don't need high frequency for gaming though, unless 144hz gaming. It does benefit productivity stuff a lot.
500 - 550w is fine

Unless you absolutely need the portability, get the desktop. A laptop is useful as hell in many situations but in raw performance the desktop takes the lead.

He was asking if a $600 desktop > $600 laptop in term of hardware

This

is there any actual difference between displayport and dvi-d for image quality? all these newfangled gpus seem to only have one dvi-d output

Bandwidth baby.

Gonna upgrade soon, figured I probably needed cpu/mobo most. But how hard is it to get win10 over to the new system? I have no idea where my win7 key is.

in favor of which one? my monitor can handle both

Nigger you're fine.

What should I trust, when Aida64 says this RAM is better than that RAM, etc., whereas some actual video game and the 7Zip benchmark says there difference in memory is negligible?

I'm building a few Ryzen systems soon, but I've been out of the loop. Can anyone give me the rundown on Ryzen and memory before I pull the trigger? How much does memory speed really matter? What's the sweet spot?

pic unrelated

I bought a Zotac 1060 amp because other 1060s were out of stock. Waiting for it to arrive. Apparently it runs pretty hot. Did I fuck up?

user, Baltimore, Detroit and St. Louis are in the top 50 most murderous cities because of their demographics, not because they have the 2nd amendment.

You're asking the wrong question. On every front displayport is superior because it has more bandwidth which allows for more colour depth, more resolution and higher framerates (as naturally higher framerates = more data sent across the connection). There is a reason why dvi is a legacy connection.

Ryzen does get a good buff in performance, comparable to a light OC. There are several youtube videos regarding so.

From what I've heard 3000mhz seems to be the sweetspot in return for the money.

Building for 4K Gaming, and general use.

Waiting for Vega & Threadripper, 28 hundred budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Nv8LXH

I agree
Thanks, do you happen to have any graphs? Can't find much.

Doesn't the Threadripper have integrated graphics?

If it does, you could technically just get the system without the graphics card first, then the graphics card later.

>tfw the only reason I upgrade my computer is Civilization
This game is costing me $200 / year on average
It's the only game I play

I haven't read anything like that, but if it does I'll probably just wait for both to come out either way. It's easier for me.

>Doesn't the Threadripper have integrated graphics?

Nope. Only the R3 (aka raven ridge) chips will have an igpu. In fact in a broad sense AMD will only be building two chips - the 1800x and whatever the top R3 binning is. Everything else is either a gimped 1800x or multiple 1800x's on a single die or cut down R3.

The first game I played on my shiny new 1700 (paired with my trusty 290x) was Need for Speed II SE - a game from 1997.

>Only the R3 (aka raven ridge) chips will have an igpu.
I guess that's a really good decision.

Since they want the Ryzen 7 chip to be super scalable, they will get better yields by dropping the igp and making it leaner and meaner.

I wanna join the big bois, I have a budget of around 1100$ what are the best parts I can get?

so that motherfucker at the tech store had no idea what he was talking about

Should I bother to overclock my r7-1700X? It boosts to 3.5ghz on all 16 threads out of the box at stock voltage. Highest voltage I've seen is 1.35v on an Asus X370 ROG board. With my cooler the CPU only hits 57C under prime95 loads.

Is it worth the trouble of OC'ing?

delusional would be thinking the US gov would use air strikes and heavy military weapons on their own cities

IF that were the last processor on earth it might not look so damaged to you.

R3 is NOT Raven Ridge. The R3 is based on Ryzen, which has two CCXes. Raven Ridge will have a single CCX, and vary from dual-cores to quad-cores with SMT, but will only have up to 6MB of L3 cache compared to Ryzen's 16MB and the R3's 8MB.

Pretty much - there is a reason why dvi is generally dual link these days, it is to overcome the bandwidth limitations. The only connections that matter if you are building a non potato system in 2017 are HDMI and displayport. Generally displayport is the best of the two but there are some scenarios where HDMI is more preferable.

>The R3 is based on Ryzen, which has two CCXes.

Given quad core ryzens exist having two CCX's on R3 makes zero sense as the only way to scale down any further is by having a 1+1 config which with the huge yields AMD are getting such chips would simply be chucked in the bin.

R7 1700 has been reduced to 300 dollars flat.
With cooler and everything.

I'm going to change my plan and get the R7 1700 instead of the R5 1600.

pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/d92TWZ

I'm trying to build my first gaming PC but I don't know what the hell I'm doing, please help me finish this list!

So, should I get DDR4-2666 or DDR4-3000 for my budget Ryzen 5 build?

That's not a bad idea. I mean it's still around $80 more than the r5-1600, but still a sound investment.

I have a 3GB 1060 from the same manufacturer. Temps should be similar I guess. Mine does around 35C on idle and gets to around 75C on full load playing Witcher 3. What should be noted is that I live in a tropical country with ambient at around 38-40C and my case has only 1 fan, which is an exhaust one.

2666mhz is the highest ryzen officially supports - anything higher is down to your motherboard.

There was an user in the last thread who couldn't get his PC to boot. He replaced all parts but it still wouldn't budge. I had the same problem and the PSU was the culprit in my case. I checked it using the paperclip method and it was unable to pick up any load whatsoever. He did say that he replaced the PSU, but you can check, just to be sure I guess. I hope you see this user

Last check before I pull the trigger on this bad boy.

Any fuckups in sight?

overkill GPU for such res but looks good otherwise

hello Sup Forumsuys what's your thoughts/recommendations on my pc build ? I'm gonna buy it the next couple days

pcpartpicker.co/list/dhZNHN

Three weeks, 9 boards, $1000, and 4 trips to a computer repair store and in the end I am posting here. I don't frequent /g, but Sup Forums has never failed to help me before.

My build won't start, period. No flash, no lights, no anything. It's as if it isn't getting any power. Yet the paperclip test says my power supply is fine. This is the build:

>EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-1000-X1

>HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16)

>MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON Amd Ryzen X370 Ddr4 Vr Ready Hdmi Usb 3 Atx Gaming Motherboard

>AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler (YD1700BBAEBOX)

>Thermaltake LEVEL 10 GT Super Gaming Modular Full Tower Computer Case - VN10006W2N Snow Edition

Help.

Pls help finish my build, I feel lost! Here is where I am at so far.
I think I should get a 1080p 144hz monitor

Are you the same user who posted a video in the previous thread?

You didn't list a Motherboard. Which one will you use?

No, this is my first post related to this.

The thing is I'm not done with the build. this is just what I chose so far and now Im struggling to pick the rest. This is overwhelming me for.
I'm a novice

Stupid suggestion, but did you try to start the PC using the manual way, i.e. using a screwdriver to short? Might be that the connection from the case is screwed somewhere

Anything wrong with Crucial MX300 line of SSDs?

Pick a Motherboard and you're pretty much done. I am not familiar with the case, so check how many fans it has, and buy some if you need them

Let me know your budget and see what I can do

$1,300-1,500!

No. However I remember hearing the ADATA ultimate SU800 series has '''3d NAND''' like Samsung does, so may be worth looking at if it's not too expensive.

you need a mainboard and ram

the boxed version of the R5 1600 comes with a cooler, you may want to try it first instead of buying an aftermarket cooler (tray versions are obviously without cooler, and with limited warranty).

I overclocked my i5-4670k and a friend of mine is saying overclocking will significantly reduce cpu lifespan, is this true?

I clocked it at 4.0ghz with a 1.2 voltage, it was at 3.4ghz and auto voltage. My temps have increased slightly. I'm at ~40 idle, 60 avg under full load, max 69 under full load. This is my first time overclocking.

9 fucking boards? Tell me you tried changing brands at some point

Actually it's more delusional to believe that the US military which has sworn to protect the US and US citizens will magically be a-ok with mass slaughter of US civilians.

The govt has conducted many studies on this and the numbers do not look good for the military. It aint just the outright defectors thats a problem, it's the ones that stay in and leak information to the outside. Also, retired military is a huge portion of the civilian population, and some of the more well funded ones have MORE access to things like range time.

Vietnam & Afghanistan proved a few fuckers with ARs can fuck up your shit.

ok here is where i am at
may you also suggest a good 144hz monitor?

i'd get 3000mhz ram unless it's much more expensive. the rest is good.

change mobo to asrock pro4. gigabyte is not recommended. ViewSonic XG2401 is a great 144hz monitor, but you can choose cheaper AOC.

that case is WAY too expensive. and you don't need a full tower unless you're going to pack shitloads hard drives in there. just pick a good mid tower for overclocking will significantly reduce cpu lifespan
absolutely not true unless you feed it crazy voltage. 2500k still run to this day. if you have a good cooler you can easily try pushing it harder with 1.3 voltage.

>significantly

maybe if it runs at 100C constantly

pcpartpicker.com/list/TwYVQV

Plus a 1t hhd (50$)

You can spend the rest of your budget on peripherals

There you are,

Alright cool thanks, I thought so. Current temps while playing The Witcher 3 are averaging at about 55c. I have a cooler master hyper 212 evo and I think I'm comfortable at 4.0ghz with these temps. I could probably push it more but my gpu is a 770 and would probably bottleneck and I wont be upgrading anytime soon.

good build but that monitor is fucking garbage, especially for that price.

I'm not sure what you've done on your own except replace boards and I dunno quality of comp repair store.

In my experience, bring it down to basics. Plug in your PSU, mobo, CPU, CPU Fan, a HD and your GPU. Make sure the back of the mobo is free from any metallic surface so it won't short itself. Honestly you don't even need that much, basically just psu/mobo/cpu/cpufan. Work up from there.

Put your build in your case (make sure it's got stand offs so it's not touching). Connect additional pieces.

It could be something is shorting in your build so it won't start so take off as much as you can. At 9 boards you should start looking more at your PSU than the board (make sure all connections are well plugged in)

I had an interesting experience around a month ago after turning my PC back into power after a couple months where I got nothing at all (no change from it working beforehand except being off) with no post or anything, I kept it plugged in and tried messing around with the power, giving different rest times from flipping the PSU switch etc. and it finally started working again after which I haven't had a single problem since.

Im the guy asking for help building the PC. Im on my friends PC right now and i'm using his monitor which is the same one you say is garbage,
seems to work well to me but pls tell me why its gargabe. and what else you'd recommend?

nothing

Your going out of budget if you go with 27inch 144hz ips monitor, plus you have to get atleast a 1080gpu for full advantance of your gpu

Boards as in websites, not motherboards. I did switch from asus to msi though.

What is the cheapest and most reliable ATX board to pair with ryzen?

Sorry, I should have said websites not boards. I've already trashed one though.

priority list:
#1 ssd
#2 new gpu
#3 cpu/mobo
#4 memory

just replace the whole thing honestly

Anything from Asus, MSI and ASRock

it was a good pick few years ago but since then many better monitors were released. for example it has worse colors compared to other panels and uses led pwm dimming which may give you headaches.
ViewSonic XG2401 is MUCH newer and has better colors. there's absolutely no reason for VG248QE to be more expensive than ViewSonic.
read review here: pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-xg2401/

How much overclock can I expect to get out of a bog standard stick of 2133 DDR4? I plan to upgrade my old Nehalem setup to a Ryzen 3, and I understand that Ryzen gets a huge performance boost from fast RAM. But fast RAM is absurdly expensive in my country.

Took it out of the case and manually started it a few times. Every time the PCU shorted out. Thanks for the feedback.

>i'd get 3000mhz ram
how does 3000mhz compare to 3200 with Ryzen? is there a real difference?

Seems fine, mate. But would you really need those 16gb? It's an useless expense if you are not.

How badly is going Win 7 over 10 going to cripple me?

I have a Ryzen 5 1600, is 2800mhz of ram ok? Seems like everyone is recommending 3000+ these days.

Silicon lottery. Expect 2400.

if i get the view sonic shouldnt i get a amd video card ? also thank you so much for this info. I would've gotten this monitor too since my friend has it.

no DirectX12

I know that. I mean like hardware compatiability.

sorry, I was away.
I found this articles

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Analysis/

legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-amd-am4-platform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259

pcworld.com/article/3180511/

eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/