BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

IRC:
#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd,#openbsd,#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

Web:
freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Linux user curious about what makes *BSD cool? Ask questions, get answers, ignore obvious bait.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Fuck off to

>use OpenBSD for two days
>get used to it
>switch back to my main PC (Linux)
>do something
>doesn't work
>ok no worries, let's fix it
>manpages suck
>documentation sucks
>source code of non-working utility is bloated to hell
>no mailing list for this topic

I think it's time to go full-openbsd

Do it. I made the switch about a year ago. Don't think I'll ever look back to Linux land.

man pages on openbsd are really something

How the heck do you make a bootable usb to install this openbsd?

Use dd to write install61.fs to your flash drive.

I'll first try to install OpenBSD on a Raspberry Pi board as my MPD media center. Is it ok?

no it's wrong

but yes mpd works fine on openbsd

Tell me why I should switch to OpenBSD over Fedora Linux which is already prettty damn secure but with the Linux software availability.

>Fedora Linux
>which is already prettty damn secure
???

Look at the total number of CVEs for the Linux kernel, OpenSSL, or any GNU software. Fedora includes all three. That new Vixie Cron privesc exploit? Fedora affected, OpenBSD not. Just one example among many.

"Secure" is a very broad term that means very little unless you define specifics. Most people on Sup Forums will just have knee-jerk reactions to it without actually knowing what they're talking about.

If you are actually interested, read over some of the relevant presentations on openbsd.org/papers

What the fuck even is OpenBSD.

>FB_IMG_1496839045215.jpg

Probably not something for you, friend.

This was taken from the old "trollaxor" satire blog, but I suppose showing that domain name would give it away, huh.

>ignore obvious bait

Can I see what it looks like? Is it pleasant to the eye? Easier to read?

>satire blog
>calling "bait"to everything it hurts your feelings
kys

Any good resources to read or watch for people that use linux but want to migrate to BSD?

Something like, BSD for linux users?

How do you get each NIC to act as a VLAN span? Without custom kernel neutering.

Exactly. For the very narrow definition of security, OpenBSD is perfect. Too bad it's a very narrow and useless definition the moment you consider third party software that you can't restrict in any way whatsoever (and no, chroot and pledge don't do shit)

What the fuck even is Google?

You may be right.

Try installing one (or more) BSD and see if it meets your needs. There are plenty of conference talk recordings if you're interested, but each project has pretty good documentation, OpenBSD's FAQ is wonderful, FreeBSD's handbook is good. The best way to learn is to try!

I did install one, but I was never able to use it. Now that I'm comfy using tty mode, I might try it again.

Does it have tmux or screen? (Can you instal XFCE on it?)

>the moment you consider third party software that you can't restrict in any way whatsoever
A growing number of ports have been pledged. A large number with server components (voice chat servers, IRC daemons, webservers, etc.) run in chroots as unprivileged users by default. Firefox has W^X, Chromium is pledged. These are all steps in the right direction, and OpenBSD's built-in mitigations will also help protect against certain classes of attacks that would otherwise work on Linux or FreeBSD. Even just OpenBSD's strict malloc catches many bugs that would otherwise go unnoticed. It's an ecosystem built to be hostile (to software that acts badly). The whole "once you install anything from ports, the security is gone!" meme is a funny one with little truth to it. BTW, saying mitigations "don't do shit" doesn't make it true either.

tmux comes with OpenBSD. It's an OpenBSD project.

screen can be installed. XFCE can be installed. Most of what you'd use on Linux can be installed.

openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

daily reminder

What about HardenedBSD?