Digital contact lenses

How does Sup Forums feel
mashable.com/2017/06/08/smart-contact-lenses-record-video/?utm_cid=sv-nextup-right#nB3tDxwCwuqQ

Other urls found in this thread:

track3.mixtape.moe/iefciu.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=u8C8BJ3hB8w
researchgate.net/profile/Harri_Lipsanen/publication/231063723_A_Single-Pixel_Wireless_Contact_Lens_Display/links/56d93a8d08aebe4638b94546.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

AR lenses when?

black mirror/10

How do you power it

I think putting shit on your eyes is disgusting. I'll keep wearing glasses.

what a shitty, uninformative video.

This

nice botnet

isn't recording someone without consent illegal

not if it's in public

i wonder how long it'll be until you'll be able to physically block someone with them like in black mirror. would be pretty fuckin scary

>google
yeah we're done here

>How does Sup Forums feel
science fiction.
are you gonna implant the battery into your eye? kek

hahaha check out the kissless virgins over here

Sounds cool but i don't like the idea of it breaking and getting tiny bits of metal in my eyes or getting shocked in the eye, or battery acid leaking into my eyes.

Body heat, something that small could passively use body heat to work indefinitely.

how much would this even cost

>come expecting some progress or news regarding contact lenses, at least a rudimentary prototype
>considering how many years this is hyped
>wow its fucking nothing

Why are these websites allowed to exist.

Haha, holy crap, these people are insane if they think this is something you'll be seeing in the next 50 years. They can't even get a massive headset weighing multiple pounds to provide a satisfactory AR experience yet, and they're pretending that AR contact lenses are right around the corner?

Fuck, I'm not sure if it the lens physics even works out. Can you even overlay images like that on a lens as thin as contacts, so that the popups appear to be at a specific depth and you can focus on them? The lenses in VR headsets are pretty bulky. Maybe you can fake it somehow if the lens itself is emitting the light, I don't really know...

I'm also questioning the power supply for this. I really don't think you'd be able to generate enough of a charge from "body heat" alone to power even the display, let alone the wifi transceiver. And if it had some kind of futuristic battery involved, well, considering the shit that happens with cell phones I think I'd be hesitant about strapping a potential chemical explosive to my eye.

Honestly, some kind of optical or neural implant is probably more realistic, and that's saying something.

Dystopian future is dystopian present, more scary when it's not fiction

nanogenerator

Nanomachines, son.

Nano atomic reactor

Wireless Electricity.

You're pointing at the wrong direction, they are HERE

Microwaves.

wifi cable

Depends on the state.

im not gonna click on the link but what might happen and be more permanent and expendable would by hijacking the Eyes input to the brain and overlaying your own Data.

scientists have already been able to decipher brain signals and produce a picture of what animals were looking at or remembering.

so we can go 1 step further and edit the signals our brain receives in real time. This way you dont need to put anything on the eye, you can build hardware into the rest of the body. (less fragile)

this way you dont need a vr headset or vr contacts, just plug a thing into your neck to hijack your brain signals and your mind can see the vr world.

Wouldn't want that in my eyes

If there were contact lenses that lasts months, I'd try it.

Wireless activity goes through your eyes all the time. If the contact lenses can harvest these tiny waves, it would be possible.

>remembering

Those studies were thoroughly debunked. The technology in that direction is is virtually non-existent at this point.

The optical nerves are a little different because those can be painstakingly mapped on a case by case basis, but even the extremely limited cybernetic eye type devices they've experimented with are nothing like what you're imagining.

You really think there's enough power in ambient wifi waves to power an UHD display with enough brightness to be visible in broad daylight, a wifi transceiver, and all the components required for the operation of such a device?

You're really banking on some crazy futuristic advancements in power efficiency here.

tl;dr they're saying you can capture photos and send them to your phone by blinking

And some google shit that shows what you're looking at like storefronts etc

never too close to see

I'll wait for the cybernetic eye implant

track3.mixtape.moe/iefciu.webm

Doesn't make sense. You blink all the time. What, are you supposed to blink in a specific way? Sounds pretty fucking retarded. For any tech like this to work they're going to have to develop at least some kind of primitive neural input suitable for mainstream use, even if it's just a single "mental hotkey".

that article was extremely uninformative. Just because google and samsung have patents for digital contacts doesn't mean they have the tech to make them. We're still pretty far from making contact lenses capable of displaying video. Sure we could probably make contact lenses capable of taking video as we do have cameras small enough, but for the foreseeable future that video's gonna be absolute shit:
youtube.com/watch?v=u8C8BJ3hB8w

Would you rather have a battery in your eyes?
You wouldn't use ambient wifi to power such a device, you'd beam power to it from say a wearable computer on your collar.

>>UHD display with enough brightness to be visible in broad daylight
You don't need that much power. Try this, find a small LED light and hold up close to your eye, notice how it seems to get brighter?

>>wifi transceiver
the way to do this is make a retroreflector. Instead of emitting radiowaves, modify the radio waves used to power the thing, just like RFID.

>>at least some kind of primitive neural input suitable for mainstream use
No. So the way you could do it would be to capture images all the time and only save them once we detect that the user has blinked.

>antenna

So what happens if you pass through an intense EM field, like an induction stovetop

>save them once we detect that the user has blinked

People blink constantly. Why would you want thousands of pictures of whatever you were randomly looking at every time you blinked every single day? At that point you might as well just save video of everything all the time like a dashcam.

And just how many times a day do you put your eyes right up to an induction stove?
You can look at how long the blink was or measure pressure to see if the user is blinking hard

That's fucking retarded. Do you even know how wireless power transmission works?
At any respectable distance, you are using microwaves. You don't want microwaves in your eyes.

>walk around with portable EM generator
>make everyone wearing these go blind

microwave powered contact lenses have been tested in rabbits and found to be safe.
researchgate.net/profile/Harri_Lipsanen/publication/231063723_A_Single-Pixel_Wireless_Contact_Lens_Display/links/56d93a8d08aebe4638b94546.pdf

>transmission distance and wavelength changes with application of saline
gonna need a box on the side of your head to make these work

Or more power, or lenseless glasses. But seriously, how else are you gonna power the damn things? No way you are putting batteries in them

"These futuristic contact lenses could record video in a blink of an eye"

get back to us when they say "These futuristic contact lenses CAN record video in a blink of an eye". i am so fucking sick of diegetic prototypes being pushed as if they were real achievements.

>free market cant even produce glasses that have a camera / AR lense and battery all within the normal confines of a slim line pair of glasses

even google glass (which failed) was bulky af

>he trusts the same market to produce the same requirements in the confines of a contact

have fun with your eye cancer

>"found to be safe"
>rabbits

humans arent rabbits and "found to be safe" can never be trusted without long term testing of a bigger sample size

you need atleast a decade of daily testing on a new technology that has no previous health concerns

you cant just test for a single year and expect to know what the health concerns are

Easy, solar power.

You can calibrate the device to the optical nerve by using a standard image, you make the patient watch a monoscope and then change the color pattern to read the signals, I don't think our nerves are running sophisticated encryption methods

blinking power

Is looking at my penis while I pee an automatic dickpic or a livestream?

you just need to look directly into the sun for 5 minutes to get a whole day of power!

>Can you even overlay images like that on a lens as thin as contacts, so that the popups appear to be at a specific depth and you can focus on them?
3D vision is thanks to two 2D pictures from your eyes being processed by the brain

Neurons