/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, AND W/HP SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13147804/r
sprunge.us/HaHW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

NEETbooks suck

moar like NEATbooks, get rekt fag

what a surprise, T430 faggot still shitposting in every single /tpg/.
First try to understand how turbo clocks work in intel cpus, because you forgot to add your 4.2GHz overclock is on one core (lmao!). Secondly enjoy your eye cancer from looking at the disgusting 1600x900 screen.

where does the EPP discount code come from? why do we have access to it? does it expire?

daily reminder: QC 2570p is at least 200% faster than x230. If you can live with new type of keyboard you should get 2570p instead.
>inb4 stupid t430 shitposter starts comparing it to 14" virginpad
ayy

don't ask questions you are not prepared to face the truth

strawpoll.me/13147804/r

>buying a lelnovo chinkpad
>not resurrected elder god T70

Has anyone here compiled their own linux kernel to cut all the generic non-thinkpad related modules and driver support?

seriously though, why does Sup Forums have an enterprise code

>T440p
>1080p IPS screen
>T450 trackpad
>16GB 1600Mhz ram
>i7 4700MQ
>256GB 42mm M.2 SSD
>1TB SSD
>9cell battery

Anything else I should add to it? Also 1600Mhz fastest it will accept?

So I had to give my w510 to my lil brother because the shit needed a pc.
I loved it. But for my next thinkpad I was thinking same size but lower temperatures
I want a boxy laptop. Should I go with something brand new or just get a w520 or something

2133 is the fastest
have you considered e6440 instead?

Already bought a T440p. Got it brand new for $300 but doesn't have dGPU but I'm not into gaming on it so that's fine.

then what's the point of maxing out the config?

Adobe premiere and photoshop.

>not combining it with a T60+BOE-hydis display.

Is there something I'm not noticing?
Why is the 440p cheaper than the 440s by a significant margin?

Looks good.

I'm OP. I think it's because of it's size and weight. The T440P seems a lot heavier and thicker. I think I snatched mine up for a bargain though, the shop that had it had been trying to get rid of it for a year. It's manufacture refurbished by lenovo but it's in immaculate condition, storage only had like 7 power on's and the battery only had 1 cycle count. Not a single dent or scratch anywhere on it.

but I want that god tier x220 keyboard so I use an x230 with a 1440p mod kthxbai xD

you'd benefit from a dgpu

AFFS/X200 user, if you're lurking, I need your help.

my panel arrived earlier today and I just swapped it. terrible bleeding on the right side. I noticed pressure worsens the problem.

I also noticed the inverter gets hot, considerably so. did this happen to either of yours?

but I'm guessing the screen is the problem since a stuck red pixel just showed up. wasn't there the first time around.

I bought a genuine BOE-Hydis like yours (no digitizer though) but I'm thinking about trying one of the cheaper, 'compatible' ones since these are 10 years old.

4:3 ratio is much more comfortable than 16:9. 16:9 screens are the worst.

So a bunch of colleagues at work play this boring game called Overwatch and they have been trying to get me on this game but I don't have a proper desktop and nor do I even want one, since I live in a very cramped apartment.

My old T60 can't run this game so was thinking what thinkpad could run this silly game without melting?

Stop acting like you're better than them, you're asking what computer is good enough to play their silly game.

I am not better than them, I am just an old fart that have no idea about this game.
Games I used to play were on ataris

ow is demanding because it is played competitively, buy a desktop PC and a good mouse and make sure your fps don't drop below 120

.. you do have a 120 Hz monitor right?
and get one of those gaming chairs

I'm actually glad I overcame my overwatch addiction (played more than 1400 hours)

are your co workers 12 or what
overwatch is kiddie shit

I don't have room for a desktop and I don't want to put much money into such things. I am working constantly at various locations. So a better thinkpad than my current t60 would be ideal.
no they're around early 20 to early 30s I am sadly at early 40s :-/

igpu in current models will work at low detail, older models with dedicated gpu (w520+) will do better

elitebook 2570p with a 750 ti, external monitor mouse and keyboard.

>person in tech job is antisocial
wow huge surprise there, buddy

(You)

it's true tho. 16:9 is trash.

I agree. 16:10 is best.

true.

So I'm going to buy X131e for sub $90. Is there anything I should be aware of? Like bios password etc.?

for (You), agian.
Different people got different need and taste.

16:9 is objectively trash.

this is a fact

It's good for muh anime and that kind of stuff

>objectively
Now you're starting to shitpost.

anime is garbage

you wish

Can you guys share your battle-tested X220 thinkfan.conf?

X201T here, sprunge.us/HaHW

I guess the levels are quite different. Level >1 is a pain when just browsing with the X220.

>x250 1080p ips
>fly to the us
>take my ssd out and put a tamper evident sticker on the laptop
>"if they ask me to decrypt anything at least they won't take my laptop because there's no disk in it"
>cbp: decrypt your shit
>no
>they take my ssd, phone, but also my x250 and everything else electronic
>only kept my watch because it was mechanical
>this was 6 months ago
>now live in a country where the only x250s I can find are 768p
>no sign of my laptop ever being returned, or if the tamper evident sticker will be broken or not
>I may never own the perfect laptop ever again

i'll paypal anyone here $20 to come shoot me in the fucking face

>trusting the burning trainwreck that is american airport """""security"""""

You did this to yourself

Aren't all business grade laptop really neat?
Like my friend started having heavy glitching all over """gaymen""" consumer grade shit while our beasts keep chugging.

>flying to the US with electronics

> And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
> O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Looking at this T430, there seems to be no optical drive and it's covered with a plastic blank cover. Is this thing gonna have the sata connector in there though? If I want to upgrade storage or something with the caddy that goes in there.

topkeku

How loud is the x220? Will I be the loudest kid in class if I buy a refurbished one?

it could be silent or loud, it's up to you

I recently got an X200 with libreboot, it's pretty epic

Explain.

if you leave an HDD in it and run the fan at full blast then yeah it's a little noisy

if it has an SSD and the fan is at idle then it'll be silent

What models run at hotter than normal temps at higher than i2?

What's the state of hackintosh on HP 2570p / X220?

When did X220 fall to X230?
And why is 2570p is being shilled in /tpg/?
Is the hardware of second gen Core i have became obsolete?

You're watching shit anime then. Good anime is in 4:3

you're shit.
stop posting already

AHEM

ok, i created a walkthrough list when shopping for a used Thinkpad:

>look over the laptop for any signs of physical damage and cum under the keyboard. slightly shake it and listen for any loose components.
>ask if you can take off the lid to look at the internals(memory, cpu, hdd/ssd, wifi)
>turn on the laptop and let it boot to OS. listen for any unusual noises
>look at the screen for any dead/stuck pixels and etc
>reboot laptop into BIOS/UEFI and check to make sure: no supervisor password, computrace is disabled, check cpu and memory specs
>on lenovo website check the service tag for stock specs and warranty
>restart and boot into OS, open a notepad app and test all the keyboard keys
>check with speccy for temperatures
>open web browser go to YouTube and play a vid in 1080p at full volume(no meme vids, don't make the seller uncomfortable, something normie like the "wrecking ball" song will do)
>test wifi and wifi button
>test all ports
>test power adapter and check battery info via preinstalled lenovo battery app(if it isn't installed punch seller in the face then continue)
>if circumstances allow form it, download and play a ranked match of Heroes Of The Storm on low-med settings

what else would you add?

Just because it runs, doesn't mean it works.

My T430 runs it at 30 fps at 720 on very low. A W model or new T should have a bit better luck. Just don't get anything older than the w520

Imo the game isn't that fun anymore so I wouldn't go with something too expensive either

>120 hz monitor
>gaymen chair
Summer fag go home

Disregard this fag btw

>slightly shake it and listen for any loose components
This.
I got T420 that will lose sound output unless shaken.
>take off the lid
That's why you bring a USB flash drive with puppy to test it.
>look at the screen for any dead/stuck pixels and etc
And try wiping the small smudges, sometimes it can't be removed.
Also try displaying grey image and look at the screen from different angles.

>open web browser go to YouTube and play a vid in 1080p at full volume
Why?

>what else would you add?
Check the thinklight and Windows Activation key.

>getting butthurt over shitty anime taste and shitty aspect ratio

Is there an Intel security flaw on thinkpads? If so how do I fix it?

Yeah, Intel ME

I'm not butthurt. I just told you you're shit.
Why so aggressive?

Thanks.
>Why?
That's because what I'm planning to use it mainly for.

>That's why you bring a USB flash drive with puppy to test it.
Test can take a while. Just open the lid, look at internals and make sure they don't smell like coffee, turn on the laptop and if it goes through POST then everything should be fine.

>Also try displaying grey image and look at the screen from different angles.
that's a good one. thanks!

run the firmware update

I'm not aggressive

yet you're shit :^)

Just buy from ebay.
If something doesn't work, you can complain to the seller and they will bend over backwards to fix it because they know that you can complain to ebay and ebay will force a total refund if the customer is dissatisfied.
And you'll even get to keep the thinkpad.

How do I know you're not shit though? What if you're a piece of shit calling people shit

Well, when USB 3.0 was widely used and made 2.0 unusable for some.

Because of the main reason shills happen to anything: desire for attention, aka bait.

It isn't that old, but in regards of iGPU it gets it's ass kicked by Ivy Bridge.

Libreboot will disable the Intel ME on the Core 2 Duo CPU's

I might be a piece of shit, but it doesn't make you less shitty.

Are there models of T420 without Bluetooth?

pretty sure it was optional so yes

but you can also just disable it in the BIOS or remove the bluetooth module itself

then you should use mpv for that.
Save RAM and better playback.
>Test can take a while
Not really.
HWinfo will check if the hardware match what's advertised
HDD short test takes 2 minutes, and you can see the S.M.A.R.T. data, run small CPU stress test

what does /tpg/ think of my new little elitebook?

specs:
i7-640LM (1st gen)
integrated GPU
8 GB DDR3
3G modem with GPS
no HDD yet
i bought it from a flea market for $75 (i'm in eastern europe). i found it very weird that it only takes 1.8" HDDs and it didn't come with one, or with a charger, but it's in very good condition.

i already ordered a 2.5" SATA drive adapter for the DVD drive bay.

forgot to mention the fucking model. it's a 2540p.

This is mid-2000s HP design right?
What an ugly fucking mess.

the 2540p is from 2010-2011 but i don't mind the design. the lid is all brushed aluminium which looks pretty good

the palmrest is also aluminium, which i've never seen in a laptop before and i like it since the palmrest is the first area that usually becomes shiny in any other laptop

why does entering UEFI depend on Windows?

Pressing F1 (or Fn+F1) during boot doesn't work. The only way is to do the following in Winblows 10:

> Settings -> Updates & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings -> restart

This is retarded! There is a prompt during boot to press F1, but pressing it does nothing.

You press ESC before post, dummie.

Asking again

just get 2570p dude, it's better

I appreciate the fact HP can take a quad core cpu and all that, but damn do they look butt fucking ugly.

This one can't. 2570p can

I have a Intel 7265 m.2 wifi card. Can i use it on my T440p and would it have any benefit over the standard 7260 card?