What exactly is Google trying to accomplish with Fuchsia?

What exactly is Google trying to accomplish with Fuchsia?
pic unrelated

Botnet OS for all devices

It is under bsd/mit/apache2.0 so -unlike Linux which is GPLd- they can distribute binaries of the system/kernel without making the exact source code public and make unpublished changes.

GPL violating proprietary wifi/gsm/video acceleration modules in the kernels of smartphones/tablets/ARM mini PCs are bad enough, now Google makes sure that these will be 100% legal and A-OK.

>LOT is a subscription-based service which distributes a basic set of clothing, footwear, essential self-care products, accessories, and media content. The clothes are dispensable: as they wear out they can be bundled and returned, eliminating clutter.
What the fuck is this shit?

c-can you please translate all that to normlish? I didn't understand a word of it.

It's exactly what it sounds like. It's a subscription-based service which distributes a basic set of clothing. And by "basic," I mean everything is black. All of it.
They also mail you some other stuff like a hair bleach kit, phone charging cables, soap, deodorant, and a tattoo gun, all of which are black.
www.gq.com/story/lot-2046-vadik-marmeladov

Oh, and an 'identification bracelet,' the purpose of which is currently unknown.

Honestly it sounds like a (pseudo-)cult.

It probably is but I signed up anyway because I like the aesthetic.
It's probably just an art project, though.

There's definitely room for a new operating system. Almost everything we do with computers these days has soft real-time constraints, including anything with video, animation, audio or direct manipulation (so all touch interfaces.) Modern consumer operating systems for PCs and phones are all pretty awful at real-time computation because they weren't designed for it, so it kind of makes sense to design a new operating system from scratch.

Also, modern operating systems are generally pretty awful at capability-based security. It has to be hacked in on top of an existing security model that grants access to objects based on the user running a process, rather than a capability that the process holds. Examples of these hacks are Windows' AppContainers and Android's user-per-process model. This is also a good reason to start from scratch.

Getting rid of GPLv2 Linux definitely seems like a ulterior motive though. I bet that even if the developers behind Fuchsia had noble goals, the project itself is getting funded because it represents a non-GPL alternative to Android. This could be bad for anyone who enjoys the freedom to install alternative operating systems to their Android handsets. Because of the GPL, Android vendors who normally wouldn't give a shit are compelled to release their source, which makes projects like LineageOS possible. With Fuchsia, I doubt we'd see many devices with open-source kernels because the vendors who don't give a shit will go back to not giving a shit.

>It's probably just an art project, though.
Bingo. An interactive art project.

It's a great idea.

It's like Soylent except you can wear it.

Creating an iOS-like walled garden OS.

It's actually a business, one of many, according to those behind it.

They want to get rid of linux kernel because it's shit

I hope so. I want to see that happen.
Android is too fragmented to function and Chrome OS doesn't really communicate with Android devices very well.

Android fragmentation is a meme created by fanboy iOS developers and you shouldn't fall for it. The PC platform is way more ""fragmented"" than Android, but it's still pretty successful. You can even, god forbid, build your own PC out of components you choose. PC developers don't test their apps on every possible permutation of PC components. Android developers shouldn't have to test on more than a handful of devices either.

>Vadik Marmeladov
toppest kek. this guy is a meme beyond belief. literally a trendy millenial version of art.lebedev pushing mediocre products in pretty packaging for insane prices.

So you're saying Android is fine the way it is?
Why is Google having so much trouble updating all teh things if the fragmentation isn't an issue?

Just don't buy shit phones. That burden is on the consumer. If you're an app developer, don't target shit phones, definitely nothing below Lollipop (maybe even nothing below Marshmallow.) Android's model isn't perfect, but I'd much rather have a model where vendors are free to innovate than one where everything is under the control of a single company.

>it's successful therefore it has no problems
Yes, it's not like the majority of IT workforce is there to support insane amounts of compatibility and legacy problems anywhere from enterprise to your local community council doing accounting in MS Access 2000 on top of proprietary Excel tables.

>your software is a mess
>just buy new hardware plemb lmao @ u
I'm not very fond of teenage platform flame wars, but this was too rich to pass up.

they want to free themselfs from the garbage that is their linux originated kernel. (and maybe push out java for low power. high perf apps while they are at it).

>>just buy new hardware plemb lmao @ u
I said good, not new. If you get a mid-to-high-end device from Google, LG, Motorola, OnePlus or similar, you can expect it to be a good phone for as long as you feel like using it for. If you get a low-end Samshit or domestic carrier-branded chinkphone, it might not get updates and developers should not have to go out of their way to support you.

When iOS devs port to Android and complain about the "fragmentation," they always add low-end no-name phones and (often sub-$100) budget phones and tablets to the list of devices they "have" to "support." But they don't have to support them.

>Just don't buy shit phones. That burden is on the consumer.
Great logic.

>If you're an app developer, don't target shit phones, definitely nothing below Lollipop (maybe even nothing below Marshmallow.)
user...pretty much everyone in India has a cheapshit Android phone. You ignore cheapshit Android phones, you ignore India. That's a lot of money to lose because 'lol poorfags'.

>Android's model isn't perfect, but I'd much rather have a model where vendors are free to innovate than one where everything is under the control of a single company.
Apple has too much control over iOS. I get it.
The problem is that Google has no fucking control at all over their own goddamned platform.
They are the polar extremes.

The solution is a model like Windows Phone. Unmodified software on customized hardware.

>The solution is a model like Windows Phone. Unmodified software on customized hardware.
It really isn't. If the software can't be modified, projects like LineageOS, CopperheadOS, etc. wouldn't exist. Also, some vendors really do make nice customized software, like Motorola's various addons and MIUI.

>Google has no fucking control at all over their own goddamned platform.
And here's how I know you're not an Android user (or you're not a very advanced one.) Google has actually been reducing software fragmentation by moving functionally into the open-source support libraries (good) and the closed-source Google Play Frameworks (bad.) The former is shipped with the app and the latter is required for access to the Play Store, so all vendors are forced to use it. A lot of Android users are getting upset about the latter because it reduces the control they have over their own phones. An ideal phone platform would actually be less controlled than Android.

>mfw this entire thread is just an obvious attempt at shilling this Lot bullshit, and OP doesn't actually give a shit about Google Fuchsia.

It's an interesting concept but it looks awful.

>What exactly is Google trying to accomplish with Fuchsia?
KILL LINUX
(on android at least)

Don't forget that you have a lot more manufacturers for mobile hardware than PC. And as it is a rapidly evolving market most manufacturers never bother to update drivers, wich renders any device non updatable after some time. Thats why you can pick up a 10 yo pc, install the latest OS and everything works, but you cant install the latest android on a 2 yo phone. This problem can only be solved if the vendors open source their drivers or hardware stagnates enough that drivers dont change as much. Fuscia on phones will only make this problem worse.

>mfw
>no image attached
please explain yourself

I just uploaded the last image I downloaded. That's all.

>a hair bleach kit, phone charging cables, soap, deodorant, and a tattoo gun
one of these things is not like the others