WHY THE HATE?

Why do people talk shit on Mint so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Sonya
github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/data/packages.xml#L162-L209
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they are dumb.

Arch users

I thought that mint was gnome.

Gnome is a DE.

Summer fag everywhere.

Because it's mainstream.

Sup Forums likes only obscure shit.

Because Gentoo and Arch fags can't fathom that anyone would want an easy to use, ready out of the box Linux distro.

Cause they do some really un-linux things with their packages and take some serious shortcuts with security. Also, in my experiance, system uses resources less efficiently then Ubuntu.

Jealousy. Cinnamon's the best DE for Linux by far. GNOME a shit, Xfce is antiquated and KDE is crash-friendly.

Thoughts on Mint 18.2 BETA?

>Cinnamon
>best

Because it's the downstream of a downstream. It's literally Ubuntu but repackaged shoddily and with a green coat applied. There is no reason to use it over Ubuntu or better yet Debian.

>using DE
>good thing

>using GUI

>literally Ubuntu but repackaged
The Mint team develops a DE as well.

because some people like security

>implying that every distro is not easy to use
>un-linux and apt-get is linux
stupidest statement I have ever read

because it was a terrible idea to make yet another distro just because of a new DE. they break package dependencies with the official ubuntu and debian repositories, they have a shit ton of bugs which aren't sorted out and they have had multiple break ins.

mint is just another distro that wants to be different but doesn't even remotely manages to be consistent with their shit, it's a failure and cinnamons development has been slowing down so much, while some core components like nemo still face software childhood diseases like memory leaks.

it is just fucking bad

mint is unnessary. Just install cinnamon on ubuntu or debian.

And we see your faggot tripcode everyday.

mdm
Provides: x-display-manager
Priority: optional
I don't care what package debian chose to call mdm.
I'm not using debian.
I'll let the distro maintainers worry about that.

This is all 100% true, but ironically enough it just werkz. My mint laptop and desktop are the only machines that just stay working. My fedora boxes have all bricked themselves over minor updates and stuff like arch takes too long to get working how you want. Even debian is like that really. Ubuntu was botnet and unity was trash so I just ignored them. The rest of the distros are just shit as well. You've got aboslutely broken garbage that doesnt even succeed at what it was trying to do in the first place (ie elementary) Then all thats left is enterprise server OS's like centos/rhel which i'm not going to use at home unless its being utilized as a server, and shit like hannah montana linux and gentoo.

its an uglier version of ubuntu, if you're not using Cinnamon its useless

OP screenshot is mate.
Cinnamon is quite nice.

A DE you can also easily install on Ubuntu and Debian.

mate dark theme pleb checking in

cinnamon on ubuntu is uneccesary, just install cinnamon mint.
It's not %100 true at all. mint is like a good ubuntu as ubuntu is like a good debian.
I probably won't install ubuntu or debian ever again.

Dubs of truth

Because they're literally kikes

ever since i moved back to gentoo, i have had only had an minor issue with a perl upgrade, which took like 5 minutes to resolve. development cycle of fedora is to slow for me and i hate reinstalling systems just because of a major release. debian simply can't handle clean upgrade procedures and i also don't like any deb related distrbution. their configuration styles are horrible, their user base is clueless and unhelpful and you barely find any resolution to an issue without cutting an entire forum down to every single thread containing your distribution name.

centos can be a decent desktop, you can use rpmforge or epel for software that is not delivered by default and you can configure it to the same extend as any rhel/fedora, with the downside that with a major release you have to do it fresh.

if you want a decent desktop, go for ubuntu, (open)suse or fedora, anything else is unreliable garbage.

Doesn't have a valid argument so claims your right if you have dubs

>It's not %100 true at all. mint is like a good ubuntu as ubuntu is like a good debian.
I probably won't install ubuntu or debian ever again.

how is mint a good ubuntu if you break dependencies with upstream by reversioning everything because you want to be a special snowflake? you don't know what the fuck you are talking about kid

It was a factual post. Dubs only enhance the factuality

see

>I like having Amazon ads pop up whenever I try to do anything with my computer

Yeah I love being on an OS with broken packages and security and on top of that I have to deal with the ugliest looking DE

>special snowflake
>single most popular distro.
OK kid.

your own fault for using unity

Then you should switch to Mint :^)

just because you don't care doesn't make it good or even better. in fact it does the exact opposite, if you trust your distribution to provide stable and up to date packages, you would think that this provides sufficient security. well if you break dependencies on purpose because of mixing multiple repositories together you create nothing but inconsistent and insecure garbage.

see
given that the distribution is intended for the typical clueless marketing victim fa/g/got i get your point, but you could spend 5 minutes on googling how to change it in a number of ways so it doesn't happen, same as with windows 10 and their explorer ads

Haven't had that happen yet.

One linux mint repo and a bunch of ubuntu repos.
No confilcts yet.

because something is popular doesn't mean it's a ripoff? look at justin biebers career, his music is garbage but he was popular and he remade popular tracks by other artist which still doesn't make his style of music any better

literally don't know how to argue, classic fa/g/got

I love that logic so much its popular so it must be good

That's why I don't like ubuntu.
Linux mint is actually quite nice, though.

yeah dude no security and broken packages for the win

>Ripoff
Open source software based on other open source software makes it a fork not a ripoff

software based on software based on software and the end result is broken packages = good distro

security updates come from security.ubuntu.com

>see the direct reply to the post
0/10

On third version of linux mint.
No broken packages yet.
No problems whatsoever yet.
The only distro I've ever broke on an update was ubuntu, and I used Arch for 3 years or so.

think im talking about that kind of security if you are that dumb mint is perfect for you

but not from mint .... really makes you think

most forks intend to have a goal that makes sense, distros that don't have clear goals usually die within a couple of years. the only goal mint initially had was to maintain a ubuntu fork managed by the community instead of by a company, then along came cinnamon. in the end half of the community goals turned out to be mostly related to cinnamon, while other things were neglected. but they continued to split the project even further, to the point were they wanted to split package just for cinnamon and ubuntu and things turn out to look like this packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Sonya

Oh, you must mean the sense of security you feel by complying with all Sup Forums distro memes.

being ignorant and stupid sure helps growing as a person, i wish you all the best in nowhere in your life :)

sure is secure that you add beta packages to your stable upstream. you sure told him :^)

I dont have arch or gentoo because I dont follow these gay Sup Forums memes

Now you've got me genuinely concerned.
Or are you talking about wallpapers-extra.deb

>posts to link a reply of a post to the post again
>calls other people stupid
ok kid

sure it's a Sup Forums-meme but if you configured it once it will continue to do its job for a very very long time without the issues you encounter on most distros.

that implies you actually know what the fuck you are doing, how to use the cli and don't just use linux to pretend to be some cewl haxor while you actually just riced your shitty desktop with a tilling window manager

I'm not that much of a tard my OS is slackware

how about grub

grub is the biggest piece of shit evermade

never touched slack, always heard you have to pick your packages by hand because there is no real package manager, have to link stuff yourself and basically write automation for everything full time. that really doesn't sound appealing

that is your argument that grub is the biggest shit ever made? be it as it is, grub is by default used with the mint installation, so shit's even shittier

Quads of truth

that used to be the case but now there's sbotools that uses slackbuilds.org which is a website where you can download the source of programs and get a .SlackBuild file that compiles it for Slackware by source then use installpkg to install it but with sbotools it auto downloads and runs and does so for all if its dependencies 2

Mint itself is okay, but their only good work is the cinnamon DE, which is much better on arch

speaking the truth here

>using a screen with a pixel matrix instead of a character based split-flap display, like it's been intended by the TUI gods

hm, don't see much of a benefit using slackware, except if you do some embedded stuff maybe

You can compile 99% of everything on it(even other package managers) so its super neutral, you know exactly what your installing at all times, super stable because they dont rush there updates, really complete out of box. Well anyway those are the reasons I use it

I'm using the same version ubuntu-live, kubuntu-live, edubuntu-live, xubuntu-live, mythbuntu-live, lubuntu-live, ubuntustudio-live, ubuntustudio-dvd-live, ubuntu-gnome-live, ubuntukylin-live, ubuntu-mate-core, ubuntu-mate-desktop, ubuntu-mate-cloudtop do.

Mint looks really ugly, regardless of its desktop environment.

$ dconf dump /org/cinnamon/desktop/keybindings/ | grep screenshot
screenshot-clip=['Print']
area-screenshot-clip=['Print']
screenshot=['Print']
window-screenshot-clip=['Print']
window-screenshot=['Print']
area-screenshot=['Print']

$ pacman -Q obs-studio gnome-screenshot
obs-studio 19.0.2-1
gnome-screenshot 3.22.0+42+g8472361-1

Unity has not done that since Ubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu is on 17.04 now. Stop spreading misinformation.

So does your Mom.
Nice trips.

out of the box.

NSA/systemd

its existance has no purpose
just stop being a special snowflake and use an ubuntu flavor like everyone else

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Nothing against cinnamon but i must wholeheartedly disagree about the claim regarding KDE fampai.

>using a distro based on a distro based on another distro

On Antergos, it works OOTB:
github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/blob/master/data/packages.xml#L162-L209

ctrl-alt-shift r desktop screen recording webm?
(cinnamon-record)

you can stop saying snowflake now

>everybody else.
Wait, mint makes iso's with other de's?
Wait. Ubuntu makes a cinnamon iso?

Yes, does work...
$ dconf dump /org/cinnamon/desktop/keybindings/wm/ | grep recording
toggle-recording=['r']
$ ffprobe -v error -show_format -show_streams ~/cinnamon-20170610-1.webm | grep codec_name
codec_name=vp8

oke special snowflake

Because it's a lazy half-assed buggy reskinned version of Ubuntu. Incompetent devs can't maintain it properly. Much like Manjaro. Don't trust any distro based on other distros, have green logos, and start with an M.

It's not buggy at all. You'd know if you'd ever tried it.
Nice.

sure lad, that's why nemo continues to consume a shit ton of ram while you actually have no more sessions open. or cinnamon still throws exceptions because it's actually not supporting kernel bpo and causing your DE to freeze.

it's literally garbage and yall mint fags are in denial. you were in denial when it got breached the first time, the second time, when the post about the horror of dependencies and shit development was posted on lwn.net, same as you were in denial when arch got package signing after 10 years.

you are just another clueless fa/g/got

t. too stupid to get arch working

Retards can't handle the fact it's friendly to Windows users

thats what I meant precisely. Cinnamon is best on its native developers OS, MATE is also developed by the Mint team innit? but MATE is shit IMO

The average Arch user

MATE for life, nigga.

bad DE for life, nigga