/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

yo im getting mixed answers on google on whether a vga to dvi adapter will add latency or fuck with the quality, anyone that can help me with this and while you're at it can you link me some amazon links for active adapters or something like that? my monitor only has vga and im thinking about buying a gpu

I wanna play videos on MPC, what i need to do?

yeah, you dont want to go that way
depending on your use
get gpu that has analog output, like gtx750ti
they should be pretty cheap on ebay or even new

or start to calculate price of a new monitor in to your budget for gpu upgrade

active converter costs ya like $30 and there is degradation in quality and of course some added latency

I have a empty un-formatted space on my boot drive and can't use it
I found it while I was installing my new backup drive

the space is just blank and doesn't give me any options(new simple volume etc) to do anything about it when I right click it
>inb4 install linux
I have arch on a separate drive
this one is just for gaymen

Why don't you just boot into Arch and format it using (g)parted?

Would an HDMI splitter/switch work with sound as well as the display?

what's the best software to burn isos to discs?

how do I lock files in sense that system refuses access to them because they are opened.

I wrote script that backs up stuff, we run it on one machine and it skipped opened database filese and shit

so now during weekend I am home, I want to test some shit, and the fucking script works when I have just opened files in notepad or paint or whatever... these fucks dont lock access to files... so any program comes to mind that might?
as I said its just for testing

I was hoping to fix it without losing the rest of the stuff on the drive its like 350g of extra space but it's out of a 4TB drive that's got quite a bit on it

am I doing this right, Sup Forums?

how large?

I want to convert a video to WebM with VP9.
I want to use FFMpeg but it seems I have to compile it first with vpx enabled or something like that but I can't compile and so is there a build with vpx enabled I can download?

my keyboard is sensitive as fuck
how do I fix it?

If its just a simple cable-cable adapter, there is no reason for the quality to degrade, you just will be bottle necked by the abilities of vga.

Wat
why would you loose the other partitions?
Its seperate

Why would you need to format the whole drive in order to create a partition in that empty space?

350someting gigs on a 4TB drive
I can see the space that I use and then the windows backup partition and then there is blank space to the right of that

The files that are locked are system files currently in use
Boot in to a liveusb so the system isnt running

ok I'll try that
I'm still really new to linux

u sure its not 350MB?
I think win8.1 used 350MB system reserved partition

hey Sup Forums, what laptop can i get that contains an i7 around 500 US dollars? can be new or refurbished.

backlit keyboard would be nice, as it's going to be a gift for someone who likes this function a lot.

>but I can't compile
Yes,yes you can

no it says 358g it's just like a hole in the drive

helpl me pleasae
maaded this posts without correctiing the misstaakes so you cacn see whats going onn

nope
the files that the script refused to copy were databases used by some accounting software

I need to simulate that with something, I thought that even word when it had files opened would lock files but I guess I was wrong

Now I am thinking that maybe if I had a file opened through network on another PC it might lock it better, since that how that accounting software database works...

also I can see the little slice that is running windows system on the menu this is something else

If only there were websites that allowed you to enter search criteria,and it would give you a result based on this criteria

someone know how the magnet link to daz window loader?

search ebay for thinkpad X1

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:37041ba60196e8eff7050a801ebe73cedb8c0748&dn=Windows%20Loader%20v2.2.2&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.zer0day.to%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexplodie.org%3a6969

thanks friend!

What kind of keyboard do you have? Some keyboards have special keys/key combinations
to change sensitivity. Maybe you did that accidentally.

a generic-chink one from noga
nkb-300

I'm using Windows 7.
I want to batch rename files following two rules: the files should be named the same as the folder they're in and with incrementing numbering.
i.e:
Folder_A contains files a, b, c
They should be renamed as
Folder_A1, Folder_A2, Folder_A3

Is there any program that can do this?

I want to buy a white keyboard (something like the masterkeys pro s) but with black keycaps...
Do you guy of anything like this?

google what you just type and then download it
there are a fuck ton of programs that will do exactly this,but you need to look for them your self first

buy black keycaps

What are some good (free) places to host my code?

github and x10hosting are good but I am worried about plagiarism and would like maybe 2 or 3 other places to upload things to

>masterkeys pro s
you know you can just buy keycaps separately right?

I am a newbie hacker but recently I discovered a vulnerability in Crunchyroll payment system that grants its possessor infinite amount (as in time) of premium account subscription. Do they have a bounty programs for such cases or should I enjoy my free anime?

oh yeah, thats definitly the kind of question for this thread

mactype download mirror? site is down.

yeah there is a bounty program send me the hack and will deposit 50$ on your account. my email: [email protected]

test

sent

If i wanted to casually browse deepweb, should i use whonix or tails?

Mainly for lurking intel exchange

Also, how is whonix on virtualbox? Google says both good and bad, so idfk

qubes host with whonix host and guest within it

HOW THE FUCK DO I GET MY DAMN TV TO REGISTER CHANNELS WITH MY HDTV ANTENNA??!?!?

I plugged it in and scanned for channels and the damn tv didn't find shit WTF am I doing wrong??!?!?

Please help

Seems like a lot of work for just lurking

Use your base install then, if its "too much work"

Is anyone else having trouble uploading images? I'm trying to post some webms on /wsg/ but I keep getting errors. I've tried on chrome, firefox, and my phone.

I seem to be randomly unable to post pictures on Sup Forums, sys.Sup Forums.com always gives a 'secure connection failed' message after a long period of looking up and waiting.

Its not you
Check for words that may be trigers or filtered.Thats normally what happens

here

It was just a normal post on /vg/, I have idea what might be filtered.

>have old as fuck AOC 177S-1 Monitor
>Windows is fresh and still hasn't all the drivers
>I force 1600x1200 resolution for the lulz
>mfw actually the display shows the resolution perfectly
>the only issue is a OSD crying "Out of range"
>that display is supossed to do only 1240x1024
What the fuck is happening there?
Can I modify something to use 1600x1200 without that annoying OSD?
This explains why this monitor looks like shit in his native resolution.

I'm trying to replace a couple of harddrives in my computer but before I do, I want to move all the information to the new one.

The problem is my bays are all full and I don't know which bay is which drive (C, E, G, etc).

Will I cause any damage if I pull the SATA connection or power on the harddrives while the computer is running so I can figure out which drive is which?

For what it's worth, I do know which harddrive contains my OS but that's the only one I know of.

Yes

write down their serial numbers and use crystal disk info to match them up?

im on windows 10 finally. i used to use sound blaster cinema 2 to control audio levels. shit doesnt work on w10. any similar programs that allow me to adjust volumes for windows 10?

Find one of various hardware info programs and find the sata point they are connected on then follow the sata cable to the header

I thought cables are easy to understand but apparently I'm too stupid for that so I need some explanation to 2 questions Sup Forums

1. Top[ Picture : I have this 3 in 1 charging cable directly connected to my power bar (it has a USB 5v output). It charges all my devices fine, BUT when I put a converter in to charge my PS3 controller, it doesn't charge.

The same converter I use when I use a standard micro usb cable connected to my PC's USB port and it charges the controller fine. Why?

2. Bottom picture : I have a Mini-B Micro USB OTG cable I use to connect the same PS3 controller on my S4. Works fine

Now I have an S8 which is USB-C, and I have this micro USB to USB-C converter but it won't work. Why?

Thanks anons

I don't know if I should ask here or PCBG, but fuck it I'll start here.
Which should I buy of these 2 options?
R9 290 4GB for $130 (USD)?
or HD 7970 3GB for $90 (USD)?
Both used, both come with a 6 month warranty, and 30 day money back guarantee.
Coming from a GTX 660

Win10 newbie here, got lent a laptop from my brother with the condition that i dont remove windows 10
how to i disable vissual effects in win10?
How do i make windows 10 less shit and use as less resources as possible?

I had to recompose some browser settings and ended up disabling some 4chanX settings. I reenabled most of the ones I wanted except the "download file" button that's usually next to the filename instead of a drop down menu. Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't find the option to put that button back on the UI. Where is this setting in the 4chanX menu?

I have a file and a MD5 file hash with it.
What's the file has for? Is it for file verification or am I meant to do something with it?

if the file hash of the file is not the same as the MD5 hash of the known original, you have a potential malware or virus waiting for you to click on it

Explain to me simply?
Why would they supply me the MD5 hash to check it if they are giving me a virus?
Is a hash a checksum?

In C++, does :: basically mean the right side is part of the left side?
like:
class test {
void someFunction() {}
}
test :: somefunction();

Is that how it works?

where do I download a safe windows 7 iso?

how hard its to make a compiler from scratch?

corenoc digital river mirror

You check the MD5 of the file and compare it with the MD5 you were given. If both match, you're safe. If you stick the MD5 in google it should also give you results.
It's a way to verify file integrity on your own without having to resort to trusting the word of the provider alone.

pls respond

should I use microsoft toolkit to activate windows or is there another better choice?
>inb4 buying it

OK just it's been to days since I started building this God damn pc and now that it turns on fine and I I can't see shit on the screen, when I connect the hdmi cable the monitor doesn't show me anything. The specs are
Gtx 1060 turbo
Ryzen 1600
Corsair vs550
MSI b350 mortar
16 gb of ram
I already searched everyone on the Internet but I still can't make it work, you guys are my last chance before I take it to a pc repair shop.

windows 7? use windows loader
windows 8.1 or 10? toolkit

Jesus I'm terrible at typing on my phone

hdmi cable must be through the graphics card not the mobo ports

Got it, it's a checksum for you to verify the data yourself.

Man you are my savior, thank you really

ask terry davis

Where's that batch file that can find and delete all the bad telemetry/win10 updates out of my windows 7 install?

thanks! sending u a hug

Linux user here, how well does macOS/OSX handle memory? does it shit the bed like Windows when the RAM usage is high?

from experience yes, but not as bad as Windows
but then again I was on a 4GB macbook pro, that 4GB wasn't enough

macOS has a compression memory feature by default enabled in the kernel. Also, it caches the applications in ram, but also periodically purges the ram if the application hasn't been used.
In my experience, the high ram usage isn't problematic as Windows.

How can I stop my fucked up Xiaomeme IEMs from randomly deciding the volume on my android phone must go up or down for no reason at all? Headset Blocker is appearently not compatiable with my phone (Samsung Note 4), WizDroid does absolutely nothing, and Headset Button Controller only disables the play/pause button.

No, if your hardware has no control for it then no software can help. If you have any 3.5mm female to male jack (splitter, extender, anything) the command will get lost in there though.

Are Israelis white?
Asking for a friend XD

Is an uninterrupted power supply something that's useable or practical for a powerful gaming PC?

If so, what's a solid one to invest in? Superficial searching on Amazon turns up several with pretty mixed reviews and not much referring to whether they're suitable for a beefy PC.

Found out after a month in new apartment that it had been wired stupidly and both bedrooms are on the same circuit. It's not frequently a problem so far but I just lost an 8+ hour Everspace save to the power shitting itself and am wondering if this is something I could head off in the future.

1060 or RX 570?

They're about the same price where I live, though I don't think there's a single 570 in stock at the moment. Fucking miners.

Cyberpower's CP1500PFCLCD is your best bet for a

Getting 509 errors with megatools, and see it's related to MEGA patching the 5GB bypass. Can anyone else confirm this?

1060 if you're upgrading again soon enough (next gen) that the lack of async compute and the bleeding edge circa 2009 192-bit bus won't matter much.
Or if you need goysync, goyworks, CUDA...goy, obviously.
570 if you are a patient man, because the ETH meme shows no signs of crashing just yet. I'd try asking a local store to hold one for you, maybe give a blue shirt a handjob or some fiscal incentive.

Alright, thanks, I'll try starting there.

If I have a VM and block the right commands, am I immune to viruses and dodgy sites?