/wdg/ Web Development General

Noone cares about making new threads

>old thread
>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

devopscube.com/pluralsight-free-subscription/
fossbytes.com/getting-pluralsight-subscription-for-free-for-6-months/
github.com/Booom3/image-webserver
stackoverflow.com/a/27591304
stackoverflow.com/questions/1411114/servletcontext-getrequestdispatcher-vs-servletrequest-getrequestdispatcher
softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/40564/how-can-i-debug-a-jsp
gen.lib.rus.ec/
caniuse.com/#search=flex
chanstats.info/
github.com/Sup
a.4cdn.org/g/thread/60852501.json
github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides/blob/master/cs-wd.md
stackoverflow.com/questions/10826916/how-to-set-dom-breakpoints-in-chrome
localhost:5000/image
localhost:5000/image/
webmasters.googleblog.com/2010/04/to-slash-or-not-to-slash.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why are web push notifications used so rarely? That stuff is pretty damn awesome once you get through the pain setting it up.

Friendly reminder:

Try out Pluralsight, they have tons of videos on countless topics. All free for the first 3 months, then when your time is up, go claim another free trial. Here's how to do it:

>devopscube.com/pluralsight-free-subscription/
>fossbytes.com/getting-pluralsight-subscription-for-free-for-6-months/

The article claims to give 6 months free, but it seems like it's been cut back to 3. Still, p. good.

Which tutorial did you use?

Can you just register notifications and have the client poll a page or is there actually a "push" element to it?

What unit test library are you using for JS?

Because they are annoying as fuck, and I as well as many other users will go out of our way to uninstall an app or cease usage of a service that makes my phone beep or vibrate unless I explicitly want it to.

Hey guys I'm trying to learn node js. What should I build?

this. Like, once in a while it's fine, for certain apps. But if a stupid game I wanted just to kill some time keeps beeping at me every 30 minutes, I'll uninstall the shit out of that motherfucker. Difference between use and abuse

Web noob here. I recently jumped into a project with a guy making an inventory system on a LAMPP stack to get my feet wet. Long story short I'm basically using javascript to handle 99% of the crap I need to do before sending it to server-side. It seems like an effective way to get the job done quick, but I feel like this is a very bad practice to be teaching myself. Is it normal to have heavy JS use in the field today?

Also, I come from more of a C++/C# background so I was wondering if ASP.NET is worth looking into after this project.

Make something that measures areolae from user submitted images to let women know if they have pepperoni nipples. Get some tit pics for your effort.

>Make something that measures areolae from user submitted images to let women know if they have pepperoni nipples. Get some tit pics for your effort.
lol no

Are these decent charges for a freelance web developer's services to small businesses?

>Design and set up website: £70 (single fee)
>Host and continually maintain website: £120/month

No freelance experience here yet but I can tell you that the design/develop fee should be way WAY more (and the host/maintain fee should be less, though it depends if you expect to do a lot of work or include a certain amount of hours in it already).

How does maintaining websites work as a freelance? Do you agree on an amount of time that you will maintain the website or do you pass it off to someone else?

if you have no idea what to price, estimate the number of hours it'll take you, and charge your hourly rate. But also, dude, $70 is a joke. Depending on the complexity, you could charge $200-$1000. And your monthly maintenance fee seems a bit high to me, just saying.

By maintaining you should clarify to mean "keep it running the way it is", because for any changes the client wants once the project is finished you should be charging extra.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Note that I used £ as the currency, not $. But I do have no idea of the value of web development services. So is it quite reasonable to approach a small business, literally a small shop which is independently run, and propose to the owner that I can build a simple website for them (HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery) for £300? And then say that I can also host the website and look after it for...£70/month?

I know, I don't have £ on my keyboard but we understand each other. So yeah, £300 and £70 sounds more reasonable. Bear in mind I've never done freelance work, I'm just a noob trying to break Neetdom here as well. What you could do is go to upwork.com and those other freelancing sites and see what they are charging, just to get an idea. Don't look at what the pakis and indians are charging, rather look at people from your own country.

Also, how good are you at negotiating? Because maybe you should start asking for 500 and 100, so that you can then negotiate it down to 300 + 70.

I followed the "Adding Push Notifications to a Web App" tutorial from Google.

There's actually "push" to it. You install a serviceworker on the device (which is some cached JS script, not more). Once a user enables push notifications, you get an endpoint which you then call from your server. You send your notification data there, and that endpoint then pushes the data to the user which in turn is received and displayed by the serviceworker.

The whole thing is quite easy in theory, but the server side library is a pain because its dependency tree results in like 500 files and some quirks I already forgot.

Hell, I had to develop the whole thing live because you need SSL for serviceworkers. But the pain was worth it once my smarthome was able to notify me about shit.

Web push notifications are opt-in, so you don't have to enable them and can use the website just fine without them. Just add a button that allows your visitors to enable or disable the whole thing to make the stuff more convenient.

Rate my little webserver project.

github.com/Booom3/image-webserver

Your negotiating idea sounds good. I can practice at that. I'm not really a NEET as such, more of a student post-university with high-functioning autism who doesn't particularly have any other options besides freelance work.

Hello webdevs, what am I doing wrong?

I want to give the List from the Servlet to the Jsp and there iterate over the list and generate html elements for them. but it tries to do some bean-related stuff on it?

Do I have to convert the List to JSON or something before?

Hope you can help me.

Disclaimer: Never done java or jsp.

But here stackoverflow.com/a/27591304 they use getServletContext() instead of using the request, does that change anything?

Can you set a breakpoint on line 13/14 of your searchresults.jsp and check its type and properties?

Fuck me why does Java make everything look so complicated?

Hey, thanks for the answer.

The RequestDispatcher shouldn't be the issue here: stackoverflow.com/questions/1411114/servletcontext-getrequestdispatcher-vs-servletrequest-getrequestdispatcher

I think the problem is related to the Objects.

I cannot set breakpoints to JSP because it is not Code, but will be compiled into a servlet.
I will try some of the hints here to debug it: softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/40564/how-can-i-debug-a-jsp

Me again: The answer to this is that Java Expression Language is based on the Bean specification and thus tries to access the properties with Getters, even though the properties themselves are public.

crud todo app

it's going to be summer soon, anyone here has a good list of project ideas to work on?

Hello there, newcomer getting into webdev.

Right now I'm using websites like codeacademy for starting.

Right now my plan of action is:

Starting with more hand-holding websites, then moving to books
Getting a strong base of HTML, CSS and JS
Making some websites for practices, so far I can grasp the concepts just fine
Move to more advanced stuff.

Also on a side way:

Getting better at english, not my 1st language
Basic learning of some languages, note sure if Python, Java or something else
Learn to use Linux for work/daily use, as I've been said it's usually a plus for landing a job.

Any suggestions? Seems solid?

Hey you, what are you doing right now? In school, working in another industry?

The plan's solid, not sure if you need Linux, for many jobs you don't. However knowing more has never hurt anyone.

That is a looong path and I wish you luck. Also python is a good choice for starting.

What is this editor?

Seems based.

Working on another industry.

Currently working on a lab, doesn't pay much but is an easy job, but I just can't take it anymore, I think I'll develop downs if I don't put my head into some use.

Thanks.

I'll keep working for now, maybe drop it in the future if I see this going somewhere, I have enough savings to pass without working for a couple of years.

One more thing, check the courses at edx.org, if you don't already, they have some really good ones there.

Are the Udemy and Lynda.com courses as good?

Yeah, already on my to do list after I check the basics on codeacademy.

ASP.NET MVC is very solid choice and usually has a lot jobs available.

Is there anyone who is good at wordpress ?
This is want i want to achieve:
I want to post short sentences/sayings that would be able to share/like. And in one page.
BUT: Creating a post for a short sentence seems quite ridiculous, it requires a title, has dates, author (obv i can remove this) but overall this process would take too long to put all the sentences moreover they all would have their own url which I don't need.

pic related

Anyone have an idea how i can achieve this? Maybe there is some plugin names, etc

I posted in the last thread before it died, but does anyone know why my DOM breakpoints in Chrome dev tools might not be getting hit? I can literally see the content change, yet no breakpoint is hit.

do you guys recommend reading a book or just googling stuff I want to learn to be the best way to learn webdev? I

link to past threads appreciated.

Try another browser then.

whatever works for you, buddy. I hate videos, so I look for books that have you learning while doing projects. Like, books where you take one language and build one big (or several medium-sized) project from beginning to end. I need the motivation of completing chapter after chapter.

solid plan. Check out CS50x from harvard at edx, it's a solid intro to computer science. The first weeks are all C, but don't get discouraged, try to learn the concepts and don't worry too much if you can't get your code to work. Then on week 6 or so you switch to Python and it gets a lot more fun. There's also HTML, CSS, JS, etc. The last couple of assignments have you building cool websites like a twitter sentiment analysis webapp and a portfolio manager. Check it out!

what books do you recommend?

lol depends on what you're studying. Go here

>gen.lib.rus.ec/

and look for the languag/framework you want, then click on year to sort by year, then choose a recent title that interests you. Give the book a try, if it doesn't suit you, drop it and rinse and repeat.

I really enjoy the pack 'Web Design with HTML, CSS, Javascript and jQuery' by Jon Duckett. Two books in one order. Both are fantastic, with step-by-step explanations of how to code various features as well as laid-out examples of sites with different layouts and functionalities. Solid duo of books.

forgot to say, the O'Reilly books in general are more than solid for an intro into different topics. There might be some exceptions, but they can usually be trusted.

whis is flexbox so fucking good. it literally makes aligning things so fucking easy. who made this shit? i wanna suck thier dick

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definetly check that.

If I were to create a web application using Ruby on Rails, like a forum, would it be easy to develop an iOS/Android app that would have the same functionality as using it in-browser?

I want to make a mobile forum app with nice looking GUI, but I have no idea where to start.

I know C, C#, C++, and Java, but I don't really know any webdev languages. Is learning Ruby on Rails a good choice? And can it be ported to mobile easily?

if you keep your endpoint and frontend separate.
as in, make an API and then talk to it with an ios/android/web app to it.

Yes and yes.

Do you guys recommend me to loook for templates and then start tweaking what i dont like to save time?

Slow down there you fairy. Flex is great, I agree, but its downside is compatibility with older browsers.

Anyone here ever sold themes or templates on Envato/Themeforest?
I'm creating one now because I need to make some cash but I am skeptical about how profitable it could be.

Eventually I want to start doing this as well. At what point did you decide you were confident and skilled enough to start doing this?

What is your experience and skillset pls

honestly it's ok to use it now

caniuse.com/#search=flex

Opinions on freecodecamp?

I made a thing with React and socket.io
(First time React. I normally use Vue)

chanstats.info/

Apparently Sup Forums has the lowest image to post ratio of some of the "well known" boards.
also not as active as I thought apparently
Sup Forums posts per minute are inflated because of E3 stream

now I am finally ready to impress some employers, r-right ??

Eclipse with dark theme i think i reconginze the console

it's nice if you come from very basic html/css/js courses and want to get a bit more specific, but still on a basic level.

once you get your portfolio done it's best to move on to your framework / language of choice though.

That actually looks really neat.

I'm working with socket.io as well.

I'm trying to send some info from my server to a certain client. I know how to send/emit but I'm not sure how to send something to just one specific client. Stackoverflow mentioned getting the client socket id but I'm not sure how to do that. Do I need to send the socket ID from the client to the server or can I somehow request it from the server side?

>I'm using Flask-Socketio

how do you parse all the stats?

thanks. i'll look into those. :)

hm, I don't use it regularly.
Only from time to time and then have to relearn it all over again.
io.on('connection', function(socket) {
socket.on('auth', function(authInfo){
//check if authInfo is valid
//if valid, then this is the socket you want and you can send to it
})
})

no idea if this even remotely works, but I guess this is how I would try to single out a certain socket

you mean, how I get the data?

all the info is from the Sup Forums api
github.com/Sup Forums/4chan-API

First getting the json of the catalog and calculate the average across all the threads.
Some info is only exposed directly from the thread api, like the amount of unique IPs, so I limit it to the first 3 pages for each board, otherwise it would take way too long without going over the limit they set in the rules.

Wordpress is overkill for this, you could just have a static page you update manually by copy-pasting. If you wanted to learn a bit of webdev you could write a dead simple (password protected) backend page where with one text field which gets stored in a database, and then a public page which pulls all the quotes from the db and has some AJAX calls to update the 'linked' count in the database.

Wait a minute, do the api list and track posts/per user?

the thread API gives you the number of unique IPs
not different than the numbers in the bottom right

so it's just (postsCount / uniqueIPs) to get the average of posts per user for a specific thread

a.4cdn.org/g/thread/60852501.json
posts[0]

C# and Java are webdev languages.

cool site, but I'm just wondering, do you really want your employer to know you're a Sup Forums regular? Specially now with all the attention we're getting due to the "alt-right" and pepe and all that shit. Some companies might not care at all, but others might see it as a red flag...

ha, not really.
Didn't intend to put it in a public repo.
But might tinker with it some more for fun and learning purposes in the future nonetheless.

Is thread dead?

I have a question about Tampermonkey. How can I get the unread post counter from Sup Forums X (specifically ccd0's fork) and use it in another script running on the same page?

novice here, learned some basic html and css first, do i focus on javascript next? that seems to be the general consensus

Watch the video in OP if you haven't already, then pick a language. But yes, JS is usually what follows.

What's the best MVC framework for windows besides ASP.NET?

how basic are we talking?

WHY DOES EVERY TUTORIAL THAT TEACHES BACKEND SHIT USE PHP

I've never seen job listings in my country (eastern european shithole) that require node.js, they're all php (laravel) and mysql.
Should I settle for php or go the node.js way because it's the "future"

What degree do you guys have?

Go with PHP for now, it's a mature language with functionalities for nearly everything you need.
While Node.js is certainly being hyped up, it's still a gigantic mess of code like old JSP.

NEET degree

following the learncode.academy channel's videos. Just finished the second javascript one.

Reminder if you are a neet and aren't spending at least 5 hours a day following this

github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides/blob/master/cs-wd.md

then you're completely fucked

Fug

is electron allowed here

Anons will probably laugh at you.

Sure, why not

are you kidding bro? you can land on a job without doing all that. it's a nice guide but there isn't much focus.

I agree, Cryptography I and II, Compilers, AI, Computer Graphics, wtf. Most CS students graduate without ever having taken a compilers course. That might be a good guide to learn about programming, but fuck man, if your goal is just to land your first webdev job, half of that list is bullshit. I mean, UX Design for Mobile Developers, are you fucking kidding me?

Hey guys. Has anyone here gone from a normal job like Fast food, retail, factory or any other entry level normie job to a web development job?

What was the transition like? What was the pay difference like? Could you ever see yourself go back to that?

Just asking because I've worked in fast food, factories, landscaping and other mundane odd jobs and this is the year that I break out and get a web dev job. Not saying that a web dev job doesn't have it's own bullshit either but this is the year I actually make more than $9 or $11 a hour and it can ONLY get better from there.

Can't that other script take it?

Learn to search.

Not excactly that, but I started by getting an education as an electrician, now I have a master in engineering.
The electrician job was good, they pay was decent but I felt I wasn't really getting challenged.
The work was 7-16 which I thought meant a full days work.

When I started to be a student, I found that I needed to spend a lot more time on this. A typical day would be two 4 hour lectures and then 4-5 hours of homework.
At first, I was really spent, but I found that I should just treat it like a hobby.
Obviously there wasn't time to do something else after all this, so I should just find things within the homework that made me want to do it.

The pay is a lot better.
I am not american, so don't worry that the wages don't match, it is not in dollars.
As an electrician, I was paid on a 14 day basis. I was paid hourly (175 for regular hours, 300 for overtime).
So about 340k / year but it varied a bit.
Now, I am getting paid monthly and I make 460k / year.

I just finished my degree and this is my first fulltime job, so I don't know how it will change going forward, but as I have lived as a student for the past 6 years and any income makes me feel like a rich person.

This may be useful
stackoverflow.com/questions/10826916/how-to-set-dom-breakpoints-in-chrome

What type of web dev certificates (like A+, Security+, Networking+, etc) are easy to obtain, useful or add significant value to a resume?

There is a cushy job nearby at a call center for web devs but the only way in is some sort of degree, certificate or 2-3 years sucking cock and simultaneously having my soul sucked out. I'm not answering calls again.

Servlet/JSP expert here. What you're doing is incorrect. You have to create a Java Bean since the EL can only interpret objects in that format. To do that, just make a class called Treffer, have the attributes just as you have them in your extended Object, and in addition you have to add getter methods for every attribute you want to access via EL. For instance, if you want ${t.recipeName} to work, your Treffer class has to have a method called 'public void getRecipeName()'. JSPs are compiled on first run into actual Java Servlet code so following Java naming conventions is necessary.

Alternatively, if you don't want to have to create a Java Bean for every entity type that the EL must read, you can use maps. Create a map called 'Map treffer' in your servlet, add each attribute object and their corresponding key names.
For example:
Map treffer = new TreeMap();
treffer.put("authorID", rs.getLong("authorid"));
Then call the map with EL and print the attribute: ${t.authorID}

On a different note, your 'Object treffer' in the search method, although syntactically correct, is logically incorrect. You created an anonymous inner class by extending the base Object class, but all the rest of your program sees is an object of type Object. Attributes and methods of anonymous class types cannot be referred to directly from code outside of said class unless you override an existing public or protected method from the parent class. So even if your JSP code could refer to the public attributes of some object, your code would still fail because the Object type doesn't have the attributes you're trying to refer to.

because you're a dumb frogposter that can't even google properly

>MVC framework for windows
what do you mean? developing on windows? hosting on windows? virtually every web framework supports both. the best ones are:
>spring boot
>phoenix
>rails
>django
>express

in my eastern european shithole there are about as much spring and asp.net listings as php ones, so it's not like you're doomed to go with php

yes

what is the difference between

localhost:5000/image

and

localhost:5000/image/

I should also mention that beans need to extend Serializable, but since you've instantiated the object and set it as a request attribute in another servlet and not in the actual JSP page, this is unnecessary and you don't actually need beans in the strict sense (but you do need the getters for EL still).

webmasters.googleblog.com/2010/04/to-slash-or-not-to-slash.html

Er du norsk?

I don't use Java shit but you are using an Object like it were a hashmap. How are you suppose to access a property of type Object? It is essentially type erased