*BSD General

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, HardenedBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

IRC:
#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd,#openbsd,#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

Web:
freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs
hardenedbsd.org

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers... maybe.
Try to ignore obvious trolls.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/licenses/bsd.en.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
netbsd.org/ports/history.html
libertybsd.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Which BSD would you fug

Whoa that puffers packin

BSDs the best

I'm really fixated on the logistics of the weaponry puffers has. Firstly, the magazines for the guns he's holding don't even look like they fit in right; it looks like they've just been appended on. Also, I don't understand why puffers is holding the trigger of the gun in his left hand the way he is. How does he pull the trigger? Furthermore, what's with all the superlative indentations at the base and barrel of the gun. How does puffers align the sight at the edge of the barrel of the two guns? The more I look at this picture, the more I wonder if the artists was taking his/her job as seriously as one should expect.

I dunno. Honestly, I feel like OpenBSD would be the wildest in bed. Well, either super sadistic/dominating or a turbo dyke. Either way, it would be good doujin fodder if the Japs ever gave a shit about BSD. Which they don't. NetBSD would be a good second. I would imagine NetBSD as being passive, eager-to-please megune loli. She would make those obnoxious slurping sounds like in my JAVs that my mommy tells me not to watch.

FreeBSD would be prude and loyal to her boyfriend, but her twin sister, HardenedBSD--which I like to imagine is her twin sister because HardenedBSD is basically just FreeBSD with a bunch of superficial, worthless tweaks to make large corporations feel a tiny bit better about deploying it--would coax FreeBSD into some kind of threesome + lots of loli/yuri early-age-sexual-exploration-type shit.

Are you being sarcastic?

Is there a libre BSD OS?

How do I install OpenBSD? It has bunch of files under its download directory. Am I supposed to merge them into an iso?

>hardenedbsd
Actually safestack & cfi would be really neat, PaX mprotect & noexec basically is great because it hardens userland.
Safestack is way better than SSP.
It doesn't have all the backing OpenBSD has because its is only 2 main developers but still great stuff.

Well, if you consider libre to be GPL-licensing or GPL-compliant licensing, then I should just point out that BSD stands for Berkeley Style Distribution. If that doesn't give you an idea as to the stance BSDs take towards libre software, then I don't know what will.

get the install61.iso file and install from that

have you considered reading the FAQ in the OP?

I mean like FSF approved

I'm not denying the merit of that, but what I'm saying is that HardenedBSD suffers a similar, more fundamental problem: 20 years of poor coding practices. The fact that the HBSD had to fork at all despite very negligible discrepancies (negligible in a more long-term sense) is just a testament to the shitty state of FBSD.

I'm just gonna post this here and let you figure that out by yourself

gnu.org/licenses/bsd.en.html

openbsd is made by a m-mongrel?

>Berkeley Style Distribution
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution

My bad, thanks though.
I thougt maybe there is a modified Version of BSD without binary blobs like linux-libre.

Sure, but in some cases HardenedBSD is better too use.

that's not theo

tfw i love theo now

t. never wrote a line of code and talking about programming an operating system

What's so great about BSD compared to say plan 9 or solaris.

Linux user here. What are the pros/cons of each BSD? also: having looked into it, it seems like FreeBSD is the only one that keeps its port up with emacs releases. Is that accurate?

I hope you mean the projects that continue since solaris is ded and plan9 is now basically 9front because the plan fell off.
I would say newer hardware support, focused on security ( OpenBSD, HardenedBSD).
But as always you should pick the right tool for the job, there is no best *BSD or best OS in general.

friendly bump

FreeBSD has native ZFS and MP networking (which is why Netflix uses it). It's basically awful for anything other than servers.
OpenBSD is simple, super-well documented and comfy as heck.
NetBSD is a toy.

NetBSD has features FreeBSD & OpenBSD don't have and the other way around.
This is what people say about using the right tool for the job.

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

NetBSD has nothing special to offer unless you use weird hardware.

>really old* hardware
It hasn't been ported to a new platform in years: netbsd.org/ports/history.html and it's far behind Linux in term of platform and architectures supported. Basically, there's not point in NetBSD now.

Yes there is variation of OpenBSD. OpenBSD by default only has binary firmware - reasoning is that it does not run in kernel thus is not security issue.

LibertyBSD is fork that focused on deblobbing OpenBSD, in any other area follows upstream. From website it is said to be just install script since newest version? Never tested by myself. libertybsd.net/

It has some cool things, kauth, veriexec, pax stuff, easy to write drivers for it and so on.
It is being used in PS Vita afaik.

>OpenBSD by default only has binary firmware
>reasoning is that it does not run in kernel thus is not security issue.

Not only does it not run in the kernel, but it doesn't even run on your CPU. The firmware (usually for wifi cards) runs on the device itself. Some vendors include the firmware on the cards while others don't. There is no difference between the two.

shoutout to the #baot boys

>irc
What is this, 2002?

IRC is very comfy.

Let me guess: you use Discord on Windows and like taking it in the ass.

BSD Bump

this user based af

even rms acknowledges the difference between firmware images and other forms of proprietary software. With firmware images the reason he's against them is basically he believes if the end user *can* theoretically modify software they should be able to. He concedes that if the firmware were written to read only memory and stored on the device then he wouldn't care whether the software was proprietary or not because the ROM would essentially be no different from a discrete component like a transistor at that point.

irc and Usenet will never die

Under what circumstances would you use a BSD image on the desktop besides FreeBSD and OpenBSD? Barring, of course, TrueOS, Midnight, other images specialized for a desktop environment. Is anyone here using an alternative BSD for the desktop?

Is there any BSD distro I can install on logical partition?
I can't make any more primaries.

friendly bump for the *BSD gods

I would always either use OpenBSD or HardenedBSD for desktop.
NetBSD isn't really an option for desktop use.

Posting from a freebsd PC, but this is undeniable.

>execs out of pledge sandbox.

why aren't you using GPT?
you know you can use GPT on non-UEFI machines, right?

And you do this from a program that has pledged not to exec, how exactly?

just a meme.
HardenedBSD has better defaults and other goodies if you want to use FreeBSD.
I use OpenBSD & HardenedBSD for different things.

FreeBSD or TrueOS for Gnome 3 desktop?

TrueOS if you want something that works out of the box.

FreeBSD's gnome port is outdated and partially unmaintained. OpenBSD has the latest and also has a gnome committer maintaining it.