Moving to France

Ok Frenchfags I need some advice

On sunday I'm moving to Vienne in the Rhone-Alpes with my girlfriend who is from the area and I only speak very basic french, like asking for bread at the bakers sort of shit. Later in the summer I can work in the vine yards picking grapes but i have no work lined up until then. Do you think it would be easy for someone who speaks very limited France to find work? Also is there anything else I should know about living in France? Any advice would be appreciated

first, profit the jazz festival, it's amazing
then, never ever go to Givors, shithole desu

you need to learn the language if you want to work, Vienne is not a touristy place, you may wanna try Lyon, it's less than 30min on train.

The the main idea is that working in France would help me to learn the language. I've tried looking online for work in Lyon but can't find anything, I think i'll try just going to bars and restaurants in person and offer to clean dishes, clean tables, ect

>Givors
I wish they would carpet-bomb the place already

Whats it like in Givors?

givors not takors amirite

First of all, welcome bro.

And maybe you should try to work on some irish/english pub, or on some hostels, you don't need to know french langage a lot on thoses places.

Cheers senpai

Think that might be good shout actually, another option I have is this summer camp in Ardech but I hate the idea of working with kids and we have a nice place lined up in Vienne

if we leave the EU will you have to come back

Won't a lot of things takes ages to take affect? We're only living there for about 3 months so if I need to i'll just get a visa

>like asking for bread at the bakers

Looks like you know everything necessary

Hollande said "If UK decide to leave the European Union, all British nationals on the French soil will be executed and drowned into the Channel."

Come on, the Channel is brown enough.

Just some shitty industrial city full of arabs.

Bordeaux would have been a better choice. Sorry mate.

Lyon > Dunkerque > Bordeaux

Bordeaux is very nice but it doesn't have muh mountains nearby

>Also is there anything else I should know about living in France?
I think that it's kinda similar to the UK. Also try to get a car, it's always easier to find a job if you have one.

I think it's too late to find a job for summer, except if you're lucky. I started searching one month ago and it was already too late.

It's not too late for vine yards picking grapes jobs. Also they don't care if you don't speak french. Try to start near Vienne with the Rhone wine (must be in early september), then you could do the Beaujolais and finally the Burgundy wines. The more north the vineyards are, the latest the harvest happens.

I'm from south England, mountains are amazing to me

Yeah, but the grapes picking starts in September in Provence, University starts at the same moment.

What about fine sand beaches? Are they amazing to you too? :^)

Well Vienne is stuck right between the Massif Central in the west and the Alps in the east so you should enjoy it. If you have the occasion go see both, they are very different mountain ranges

Yes I was thinking for OP. But sometimes, when there was a hot year, some winemakers start their harvest in late august, or on the first days of september.

Yeah thats what my plan was except i'm a moron and thought i could do it all summer long, i guess i would have to wait until then and in the mean time i'll look for work in the city

Good luck. Try finding a waiter job in a touristic place. Everything else is pretty much dead in the summer.

You can pick fruits in the rhone valley until then

Perhaps you should try in youth hostels ? There's a lot in Lyon and it's not so far from Vienne. Also they don't mind if you don't speak french for some jobs.

Have you seen English beaches? They're depressing as fuck, when I fist went to Lyon with my girlfriend i thought "oh we'll drive to the beach for a day, it's only a little bit south"

I loved the views around the area, we stayed at her sisters place just out side Chambery as well and the mountains just blow my mind

Yeah I've seen them, fucking rocks m8. I live on the north coast of France.
>Only a little bit south
Still a 3 hour drive

Cheers, i think thats what i'll have to do

I could try youth hostels, i think i'll write down every possible bar/restaurant and youth hostel in lyon and visit them all in one day, with like 50 CV's and hand them out

Holy shit ! I can't wait for the Brexit to happen !

Yeah i never realised, from Lyon to the med it's about the same as Sheffield to Portsmouth (About half way across my country) so about a 4 hour drive

You have some beautiful beaches but it's like Brittany, they look great but forget about swimming it's cold as fuck

I guess you can always take a swim at Annecy lake, it's got mountains and clear water and it's not too far

More like 2h30-3h if you take the freeway

>Implying you don't want us living there with you

wow is that actually real?

You can swim pretty easily in southern brittany beaches during the summer. Like those around Quiberon.

One of the cleanest lake in Europe lad, and the city of Annecy is nicknamed the Venice of the Alps

I've just always wished to kill a brit once.
I believe we've had so many years of war because it's one of the most pleasant things to kill each other. So I basically just want to test out my theory.

Yeah, beautiful place. Very touristic though.

I've been to lac du Bourget a couple times, even walked up one of the mountains up there, pic related

My dad did that back in the 70s after graduating college. Restored old as fuck castles for several months. Was hard work but he became fluent in French and got to travel the country. No idea how he got into it. Also, that was 40 years ago.

are you a ginge and why is your girlfriend standing like the hunchback lad

Maybe we could meet up and fight 1v1 irl

I live in Calais, it's not that bad. Migrants speak english and they're friendly. They stay in the "jungle", they're not looking for trouble.

Have never been called ginger before and she is quite clearly licking my nipple

>Also, that was 40 years ago.
this. Today, you'll either end up speaking fluent Polish or Portuguese desu.

It'd be a honour to kill you, rosbif.

Yeah that's a good one too

>UK/France lake thread

Is this real

We have the lake district and some nice ones in Wales and Scotland but other then that I think France wins when it comes to lakes

No, environmental protection agencies were opposed to the drownings

OP here
Thanks for the advice lads, i've gota go bulk buy a load of tea bags and marmite to take with me, might post a bit later if the thread hasn't 404'd

Speaking of Scotland I saw a documentary last night from Arte, the Franco/German channel, about them. Fuck I was astonished, I was already aware it's a beautiful place but it went beyond my expectations, incredible even though there aren't any "true" mountains (as in +3000m for instance)

Hah, mes vieux se sont installés là pour leur retraite.

Le café/clope du matin au balcon est plutôt classe.

comfy, would visit.

I hear Poland can be nice. Portuguese is useful in the US, as long as you learn Spanish instead.

Kek, I know you're joking but reminds me of the expression we have here for "Lost Dutchmen." Basically a bad driver who seems not to know where they are going is a lost Dutchman.

t. Anglo-Dutchman heritagefag

Je vais à Paris avec ma femme pendant 4 jours -- quoi devrais-je faire, mes gars?

>Do you think it would be easy for someone who speaks very limited France to find work?

No, good luck lad

do NOT go on the champs elysée, you'll get robbed by angry niggers/arabs/romanians

Well, we're staying in the 6th arrondissement and I want to see Houellebecq's exhibit at le Palais de Tokyo near the Bois de Boulogne. Is the Bois de Boulogne really that bad? The femme wants to see the Louvre and Notre Dame. I'm not sure if we'll do the Champs-Elysées but I've heard stories about drug dealers by the Eiffel Tower, which is at the end, isn't it? It seems too out of the way for what we really want to see and it seems to be visible throughout the city anyway.

>Do you think it would be easy for someone who speaks very limited France to find work?
No, since French are arrogant cunts who wont speak with you in english even if the know the language

>Is the Bois de Boulogne really that bad?
Yeah, you'll get arrested and have to pay a fine if you buy local goods there.

Surprisingly, not so many french people know english all that well. Even among youngs, I was suprised when I took programmation classes in english that 80% of my class whined about the course not being in french.
If he wants to work he needs to find an employer that actually speaks english a bit, not just had his high school courses because unless they were watching films in english at the time, every didn't care about thoses.

Musée de l'Armée with the Napoleon shrine (both at Invalides) is a must-see if you are into military/history things.

Louvre is really awesome. The place is huge so you require a lot of time to visit it.

Well, you can stroll trhough during the day without anything happening to you, you might just glimpse weird things.
Nightime though, weirder things happens. And with that, the weirdoes get defensive.

Don't get fooled by the meme, in almost every store there is at least 1 person who speak basic English and can help you.

It depends on what you're looking for. You can go to temporary workers agency specifying in your CV that you speak very few french and they will find you work where your boss is ok with that

lol Champs Elysée is the only safe place in Paris since there're cops every 2 meters

>only

>only

Marathon the Duolingo French tree so you at least have the basics of French down.

This, it's not even that hard if you're english to begin with. Like the other way around, it's better to speak butchered french than no french at all.

>it's better to speak butchered french than no french at all

This, i can't imagine someone criticize you for speaking a bad french. If you encounter someone like that, just spit at his face.

Why did you get the only fat french girl user?

Kek, I think I know what you are talking about.

The Louvre is already on the list but I'll make a note of the stuff at Invalides -- I'd appreciate that a lot. I read a hell of a lot about the Revolution in university.

I see, sounds pretty screwy.

So it's basically like Central Park? And the Eiffel Tower is like Times Square?

I've never been to central park but from what i've heard that's a good comparison.
Expect whores and tranny whores.