/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. Formerly known as /flt/.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2
linuxfromscratch.org/
grymoire.com/magic.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI
git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/grub&id=f232691e4d49e0073e4c0807fcc41cb242c1e595
bugs.archlinux.org/task/33393
xwinman.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Need help understanding Linux permissions:

>cool_dir is owned by root:cool_group
>cool_dir has 770 permissions
>user is a member of cool_group
>user can't access cool_dir

why

Halp, why cant I login my user on debian? Everytime I login the login screen just restart

not cool enough

Reminder that dynamic windows managers are perfect and stacking and tiling windows managers are inferior.

It's most likely that Xorg is failing to start for some reason. Might be related to graphics drivers, might be related to the Xorg configuration.

what did she mean by this

How can I fix this only by the terminal? I'm kinda new on Linux, and I asking here because I dont want to fuck shit up

Install Mozilla?

?what's the best book for gitting gud at linux? i've used it for years, but the places i'm applying to want you to have in-depth knowledge of it?

Run this in the terminal and see what kind of garbage ends up in the startx.log file (pro tip: it'll all look like garbage, but the error will be at the very end):
startx > $HOME/startx.log 2>&1

But it's true, it can do both floating and tiling without limitations.

Arch wiki=>Xorg.

hello how do I install a new kernel in gentoo?
the wiki don't make no gotdamn sense

I ran genkernel but I'm still using the same kernel that I compile when I made the gentoo, how do i get the new kernel

I am currently reading this. It's huge and covers a fuckton of commands and things.

What's a dynamic wm?

>fourth edition
>20th anniversary edition
MAKE UP YOUR MINDS DAMN IT

The Linux Command Line by William Shots

And you're probably gonna want the Red Hat Study guide for when you get your certs. You are planning on getting Red Hat certs, aren't you?

Window managers that can dynamically switch between tiling or floating window layout. Awesome and dwm are two very well known ones.

Just got it on gen.lib.rus.ec
Thank you senpai.

grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2
linuxfromscratch.org/

Is there any character, unicode or otherwise, that when pasted will mess up the formatting of a tty or pty?

I want to poison the "bad password" string on a web application to make it difficult to enter into hydra.

Any ideas?

>grymoire

Did user remember to log out and back in after adding himself to cool_group?

Thanks bro, I figured out what can I do now

Complete relogin? I reconnected to the ssh, is that no enough?

How can I resize Linux partitions on Windows without losing any data?

Yes, any time you add or remove yourself from groups you must log out and log back in for changes to take effect.

nvm, apparently binary files will do the trick

That should be enough. Anyway run "groups", if it's in the output you're good.

Check permissions for parent directories too. It's not enough to have permissions on /install/gentoo if you don't have them on /install.

grymoire.com/magic.html

[232158.464344] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
[232158.464443] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
Everytime I unplug my external drive it shows this.

Basically the problem revolves around linux write cache. If I disable writecache with sdparm/hdparm this error wouldn't show up.
Linux defaults "write cache:on" for external drives. Some drives without write cache won't show this error.

What am I missing here?

>Anyway run "groups", if it's in the output you're good.
It's in there.

>Check permissions for parent directories too.
I own and am currently in the parent directory.

I dunno, it's too late for this shit. I'll come back to this tomorrow.
Good night.

Nothing.You unplugged it,it cant write the cache back

>smgl
>smug
>smug linux
cool
>only GPL
are there non-free repos?

Isn't it harmful?

Not if he has a can of condensed air....

Is wayland usable?

Yes,are you not unmounting it before hand?

man sync

Maybe in 20 years

the z-rejected grimoire

How to install something to root of a usb stick if it doesn't auto-mount?

If I plug it in, and mount /dev/sdb1 (drive is called /dev/sdb and has a "partition (?) /dev/sdb1 as I can see after plugging in, using lsblk) to /mnt and then install files to /dev/sdb1, will those files be in the root-directory?

(Usually drives will automount and show up along task-bar, and in file-manager, but this one doesn't)

># qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 /dev/sda
MIND McFUCKING BLOWN!!!

now you know how to install distros without a USB or CD

Error would still appear even if I have'nt mounted the drive.
I'm tired of doing sdparm --set WCE=0 /dev/sdx and IIRC it's quite dangerous if I ran the command while the drive is mounted.

No, it wouldnt because nothing would be writing to it because you unmounted that partition.Meaning there would be no write cache because it has already been flushed when you unmounted

Or just use chroot and bind mounts like a sane person.

yeah

why do I always see fagget when glancing at the title
is it just me?

Like I said the error is still there unless I turn WCE off. Turning WCE off while the drive is mounted can kill the drive.

sync before unplugging. Basically "safely remove" drive

Maybe your drive reports wrong things to the kernel. It happened to me once.
Try setting the cache to write through:
echo 'temporary write through' | sudo tee /sys/class/block/sdb/device/scsi_disk//cache_type

I think it can be automated through udev rules but I never got around to do it and I don't have the offending drive anymore either.

in the default image viewer for LXDE, when browsing through photos within that image viewer, is there a way for it to sort by date?

anime girl for attention

>external hdd drive parks its head after being idle
Load_Cycle_Count = 40983
Spin_Up_Time = 2605 hours

How do I unfuck this?
linux sucs

I also think the culprit here is USB autosuspend.

Okay Sup Forums,

I'm an sysadmin that's currently still stuck on botnetOS 10, I know the basics of Linux but whenever I'm using Linux I keep distrohopping. I'm mostly just virtualising test labs writing essays and using RDP/VNC what distro do you guys advise me? (VM support is very important!)

Also, what kind of programs should I use for virtualising and writing essays on Linux?

Please show me the ways of gnu/linux.

-

youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI

Probably OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Fedora.
They both have recent packages (Tumbleweed is rolling) which means you get the most recent KVM improvements first.
I used both as my daily driver (also a sysadmin) and I never had any problem with them.
Fedora is slightly more stable but OpenSUSE has great integration with BTRFS snapshots so you can always boot from a stable one if update fucks up.

>OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Fedora
no

Does Broadcom wifi have good support in Linux?
I need to buy a half mini pcie wifi card with bluetooth 4.0 and would rather stay away from the intel kikes.

I'm using mate desktop with paper icons because I like how they look for the most part. But I don't like the paper icons for the notification icons in the mate panel, such as volume, battery, network connections, etc. Is there a way to force just these to use the icons from the numix icon pack, which I prefer?

can makemkv-libaacs decode newer blurays?

To the guys that answered me previously.
Vim is kinda neat, I'm already starting to like it.

Broadcom is absolutely the worst choice you can make when it comes to wlan cards.

Your best bet is Qualcomm Atheros made chips.
Ath9k driver is free as in freedom and is one of the things recommended to change in your newly purchased GNU/Linux chinkpad.

>Broadcom is absolutely the worst choice you can make when it comes to wlan cards.
this.
their drivers are neither free (like atheros) nor work properly (like intel and atheros)

Wooo thanks guys you saved me.
I was about to pull the trigger since Broadcom was so cheap.

I'm relatively new in linux
I'd recommend you atheros too
My 4352 onboard not too bad but those conflicts with any other wireless drivers pissing me off
And when I was even noober than now I had problems with wicd\network-manager on debian :( Disconnects every ~4 hours for no reason
Now I'm using gentoo and wpa supplicant with no disconnections but there is no monitor mod and loading ath9k for 722n still pretty annoying

I've been using Arch as my first distro for about 3 months now, but I'm thinking of switching to BunsenLabs or regular Debian. As it stands my Arch setup is pretty hacked together and I don't know exactly what I'm doing. Is it going to be a huge pain in the ass updating and installing things like mpv, etc on a non rolling release distribution? -Syu is so simple and convenient.

Google the model number + linux and Bing,you got your answer

>mpv, etc on a non rolling release distribution
Yes,expect to have multi years old packages in your main repo

Just use arch.

Install gentoo
Rly

I know that, I mean how hard is it to install things that aren't in the main repo, or even compile? If I use Arch, all my software is up to date, but I have to spend weeks setting everything up. If I use Debian, the software isn't up to date and I have to set it up but the base operating system itself is all taken care of from the start.

>the base operating system
pacstrap base
Done.
You'd do the same amount of editing on either side,they all have the standard config given to them by upstream.

>I have to spend weeks setting everything up
the fuck

I'm trying to get a nice chromebook to either use crouton or just debian with. Anyone know if the Dell Chromebook 11 or 13 has a replaceable SSD? And would you recommend crouton or pure linux?

>eplaceable SSD?
google

>pure linux
thats gonna be hard to work with

I think I need Sup Forums's help
Why the fuck can't I resize my root partition? Gparted simply shows that there are no free space, when there is

>gparted
-_\

>GNU
nothing that couldn't be patched away

git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/grub&id=f232691e4d49e0073e4c0807fcc41cb242c1e595

bugs.archlinux.org/task/33393

inane

What's the best wm?

fluxbox

What do you want on a wm? Check xwinman.org

I use is Ratpoison myself, no frills, no bloat, all practical.

arch linux

cross posting from /sqt/ since I think this thread might be more helpful:

Is there any hardware/firmware difference between the XPS 13 Developer Edition and the non Developer Edition? I found a good deal on the non dev edition, but I want to be able to install Ubuntu on it without running into any weird problems that linux tends to have on laptops that don't have 100% linux compatible parts.

I don't know C, but a program I want to use is only 50 lines of code. How long would it take me to quickly get the gist of C so I could verify it was not malicious?

If you already know how to program, maybe a few months. If you don't know how to program, a few years.

can you post the source here?

Update the grub config

I think it's
>mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.conf

/* TinyWM is written by Nick Welch in 2005 & 2011.
* This software is in the public domain
* and is provided AS IS, with NO WARRANTY. */

#include

#define MAX(a, b) ((a) > (b) ? (a) : (b))

int main(void)
{
Display * dpy;
XWindowAttributes attr;
XButtonEvent start;
XEvent ev;

if(!(dpy = XOpenDisplay(0x0))) return 1;

XGrabKey(dpy, XKeysymToKeycode(dpy, XStringToKeysym("F1")), Mod1Mask,
DefaultRootWindow(dpy), True, GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync);
XGrabButton(dpy, 1, Mod1Mask, DefaultRootWindow(dpy), True,
ButtonPressMask|ButtonReleaseMask|PointerMotionMask, GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync, None, None);
XGrabButton(dpy, 3, Mod1Mask, DefaultRootWindow(dpy), True,
ButtonPressMask|ButtonReleaseMask|PointerMotionMask, GrabModeAsync, GrabModeAsync, None, None);

start.subwindow = None;
for(;;)
{
XNextEvent(dpy, &ev);
if(ev.type == KeyPress && ev.xkey.subwindow != None)
XRaiseWindow(dpy, ev.xkey.subwindow);
else if(ev.type == ButtonPress && ev.xbutton.subwindow != None)
{
XGetWindowAttributes(dpy, ev.xbutton.subwindow, &attr);
start = ev.xbutton;
}
else if(ev.type == MotionNotify && start.subwindow != None)
{
int xdiff = ev.xbutton.x_root - start.x_root;
int ydiff = ev.xbutton.y_root - start.y_root;
XMoveResizeWindow(dpy, start.subwindow,
attr.x + (start.button==1 ? xdiff : 0),
attr.y + (start.button==1 ? ydiff : 0),
MAX(1, attr.width + (start.button==3 ? xdiff : 0)),
MAX(1, attr.height + (start.button==3 ? ydiff : 0)));
}
else if(ev.type == ButtonRelease)
start.subwindow = None;
}