Why is Windows so bad? I'm on Win 10 pro and want to try Linux but I don't know which version to get...

Why is Windows so bad? I'm on Win 10 pro and want to try Linux but I don't know which version to get. Any recommendations?

windows ltsb/enterprise, the reason windows is actually shit (not privacy related) is updates that break shit. ltsb only gets security updates

Just try any Linux distro that catches your interest and that is desktop-oriented.

It doesn't generally cost much to just try it from a live USB, in a VM, or even install it to your SSD and boot it.

ubuntu 16.04

yeah the updates have caused me a lot of problems ahaha

Ubuntu is the best if you just want a Windows replacement. I suggest you get the version that has the Gnome or Cinammon desktop environment instead of Unity. If you don't know what a desktop environment is, it's basically like how Android lets you install different launchers.

Windows is perfect for its intended use. For those who wish for more control obviously they'll pick Linux. Most of the hate Windows receives by people like those from Sup Forums is unfounded and basically just trend followers following a trend of disliking/hating a product.

Full control would be great

I like the look of Ubuntu Cinnamon, I just want more control, a nice GUI and no bloatware

Looks like I'm going for ubuntu

Thank you

is that... egoraptor?

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

Yes it is...

See image

Install Ubuntu MATE

I do like Windows 10 but if Linux gives me more control I'll take that over a nicer user interface, couldn't I install a windows 10 UI on Ubuntu? I still use a nokia 222 and I've never tried a windows phone and I hated all the samsungs that I had, I loved the iPhone user interface and the smooth touch screen but that thing over heated, got smashed up from one small drop and the battery decided to commit every time it hit 20%

>On windows though, you feel like a god.

You probally want ubuntu. Once you have installed ubuntu get cinnamon.

Is there a good free anti virus for Ubuntu?

Ubuntu, mint or fedora are the most userfriendly distros for newcomers imho
Be careful of mint though as the founder is an antisemite

You don't really need one but clam av is there I guess.

I don't think I'm Jewish

Oh also mint is awful and insecure don't install it.

Thank you, I sometimes run into dodgy programs when trying to mod games and well I'm shit at cyber security ahahahah

Thanks

Do I get LTS or the normal release?

I'll go LTS it's cool it's more stable

> You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember.
Heh, nice bait, but seriously for the benefit of OP:
Windows will take 30-40 minutes and then maybe even 2h to update the basic installation.

Linux can easily be done installing in 15 minutes and then another 10 minutes of updates to get all the most current stuff (fast computer and internet connection for either of the two OS').

Installing your typically used programs also is much faster by about a factor of 10 or something vs finding downloads for windows installers and clicking "next" buttons until done, you can just name programs all at once and it'll download and install them faster than you could have.

Sweet

sounds like PEBKAC to me, Linux isn't going to be any easier for you. Better just buy a mac.

>On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up.

What the fuck are you saying Pajeet

Windows = God powerful
Linux = Caveman

>Hey I'm Sup Forumsrump
>I'm not so Sup Forumsrump
>And we are the Sup Forums-Grumps

Just get whatever and have fun learning. Don't be scared of the terminal. Seriously, this is important. Do not avoid the terminal. As long as you can remember that, even Ubuntu should be fine. I got too used to being babied and it took me trying something more unique like crunchbang before I really started to wake up and learn a bit. These days I am running things like arch or nixos.

Never stop learning. Look up what desktop environments and window managers are, try a few. Learn vim, learn emacs, learn ssh, learn tmux. You're going to have a lot of fun as long as you do not give up.

unity is a dead project now...

this, plus also manjaro has the same issues

generally newer packages means less headaches as a normal user. you rarely actually want 'stability'. despite what it may seem to imply, most distros are stable, even arch is extremely stable. stable essentially means 'old as hell' and also going from 1% instability to 0%.

Now I want something like game grumps for but GNU/Linux stuff. GNU Grumps? Maybe that'd start some drama for the similar name, though.

>what is bryan lunduke

>Linux Sucks / Window is awesome meme man
can't remember if I ever actually watched either video, but I do not like this sort of humor where you shit on things you use and enjoy

He had done them yearly and they are actually really good and in support of linux. He has a podcast on youtube call "The Lunduke Hour - Linux Thursdays", and it's all really cool linux news and has a ton of cool guests (Including stallman!!).

Hm. Okay. I will check out some of his stuff then. Thanks.