/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings for sodomite faggot atheists:
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_Omb4Sf9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=HTdQ7dGENUI

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_2J5phyd9J4
amazon.com/CUCOL-Nylon-Watch-Replacement-orange/dp/B01CZXERVM/ref=sr_1_38?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1497294368&sr=1-38&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=nato+strap+22mm&th=1
good-stuffs.com/Beijing-Hong-Ru-Y-automatic-wrist-watch-_p_244.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=_2J5phyd9J4

on vintage watches i commonly see the indices/hands are all scratched up. why is this? the hands only get removed every few years for servicing and the indices should never be touched. how do they get so scratched?

scratched, or corroded?

Just received my first decent watch as a father's day gift. The first one I've owned that wasn't $10 at Walmart. Plus it's special because I was born in Pensacola. Ideas for nato strap color? I was thinking a navy blue with the yellow stitching or accents but can't find that combo anywhere for sale. Thanks Sup Forums!

Probably just the crystal

>decent

Don't yuck my yum dude! Was a very thoughtful gift and I dig it

My shitter again

I want your watch; You have excellent taste.

Thanks friend. Plenty of seamaster cosmics easy to find on ebay if you can live without the numerals.

how many mm? ill help you find one

22mm thanks!

something like this or where you thinking of something different.

> The first one I've owned that wasn't $10 at Walmart.
So what's that one, $20 at Target?

College student just spent my watch budget putting the shitter together. Omega would have been a better buy but i wanted to learn more about watches. Next watch is going to be a vintage seamaster of some sort.

amazon.com/CUCOL-Nylon-Watch-Replacement-orange/dp/B01CZXERVM/ref=sr_1_38?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1497294368&sr=1-38&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=nato+strap+22mm&th=1

I gotta run atm but in case that works for you here is a link. There are a bunch of sellers with the same band you can try to find a better price or check ali express if you can wait for shipping.

Are you still looking at replacing that long hand? I say don't. Leave it the way it is as a characterful mark of the watch you assembled yourself. On that, did you do the TZ watchcourse thingy or something? Or just fucking around online?

why is the "in light of the bible" memes pushed so hard in these threads?
He is not especially insightful, he is not especially funny and he has nothing to do with watches.

austism on Sup Forums - who knew.

I watched a couple of his videos in order to know what he is about and I just don't see any value in his videos.
I don't really understand why he is linked to in every other thread.

>implying he'd wanna do the surgery

Not you, the troll (OP) poster.

Probably because the one person who makes the threads decides to link them.

1984 vs. 2017

Incredible

this deserves a 60 fps webm

That's perfect! Thanks!

Post some pics from the old catalogue.

who /instagram/ here

>instagram
You have to be 18 or older to be on Sup Forums, kiddo.

how do you get a catalog? ask nicely at an ad?

My buddy picked one up at an AD when he brought his sub in for service. Not sure where the guy in this thread got his but i am curious as well.

I probably will; Thank you. I just looked at stuff online never took a course. Anything that is not designing and manufacturing your own movement is actually pretty easy to do. Hardest thing Ive done was probably oiling.

The real reason i left them on so long to begin with was that i had to return my hand press/puller and i ordered a better set from overseas so i am still waiting on that to arrive.

For the case of Rolex, there's no other way but to visit an AD. I personally went there, tried on a few models, asked a few rather technical questions... and came back home with it.

Currently have 40+ catalogs... and miserably failed to get the ones from AP and PP.

I emailed them in the snobbiest possible way and am hoping to hear back but i doubt they'll respond.

I don't mean any disrespect but how do you manage to not get a catalog? It seems like I can hardly make it out of a boutique without a catalog being pushed in my hands.

The AP and PP ones, at least in Stuttgart, are not that easy to get.

What Quartz is that?

>I watched a couple of his videos in order to know what he is about and I just don't see any value in his videos.

Are you a bible believing Christian to begin with? Obviously if you think it's all bronze age fairytales or something you're not going to carre what a pastor has to say.

If you mean that seiko, it looks like a grand quartz 9943-8020 to me.

What's the point of these threads? Women don't care about what watch you wear you fedora wearing faggots.

I mean the one with the gold case next to what I think is a Raketa.

Well they're both gold seiko grand quartz. Just looks like one's a twin penis and the other a single.

So you pick every stitch of clothing you wear based on what you think a woman will want? Nothing that's personal for you?

*notices bulge*
what's this

I just bought a Macbook Pro with touch bar instead of a Rolex. Did I do the right thing?
My previous computer was an X220.

You're gonna miss the thinkpad when you start using that garbage keyboard

Other men care. And we're all gay here, faggot.

I tried it in a shop first and it's not so bad. I use an external keyboard and mouse most of the time anyway.

you did the wrong thing. You should have been a real man.

what did he mean by this?

So I've got a bit of a problem. This morning I woke up to find that the hands on my watch weren't moving and were stuck at around 2 o' clock(obviously 2am). I pulled out the crown to set the time and as soon as I moved the hands the second hand started moving again. It's been running fine all day but I've noticed the second hand's ticks are kind of jumpy, as in it wiggles a bit rather than a dead stop.

Any idea what went wrong or how serious this is? Should I take it to a repair shop?

(((quartz)))

Yeah I expected shitposting of this degree.

Given that it's quartz you could bring it to a shop, but it will probably cost as much as the watch to repair. If it's still under warranty, I'd send it to Seiko instead.

have you tried replacing the battery?

Do you by chance post on Timezone.com? That isn't a common idiom

Does it make you feel pretty wearing bracelets?

It's almost certainly still under warranty because it only came out a year ago, the problem is I don't have a warranty paper, it just didn't have one.

I know the battery wasn't low because I always put it near the window when I take it off and it never did the 2-second tick that indicates low battery.

good-stuffs.com/Beijing-Hong-Ru-Y-automatic-wrist-watch-_p_244.html

Anyone know anything about this one? This is about the best picture I can find. The price is right and I think it'd look great (39mm) but maybe it's actually shit looking for real

They're Okay-ish for Chinese watches - better than most chinese mushroom brands. I would say probably worth $100-$200, with finishing commensurate with that price range.

Is it Chinese? Is it a Maison Celadon, an Obris Morgan, or a Seagull 1963? No?

IT'S FUCKING CHINKSHIT GARBAGE THEN YOU DUMB FUCK

Beijing Watch Factory supply Maison Celadon's movements

Email Seiko. It might not need the paper.

I don't give a fuck. So far the only three entities in China that seem to have any concept of QC are Maison Celadon, Obris Morgan and that Thomas dude that gets Seagull 1963s made.

As far as I've ever been able to tell no one else does ANY qc at all.

Do you all wear your watch to bed? If not, what is the optimal way to place it on a surface so it loses the least amount of accuracy? Or do you just set your watches every morning/other day?
Sorry for the newfag questions - just received my SNK809

I sleep with my F91W on, or my GWM5610. I put my SARB017 on one of the pillow things overnight. So far it sits at ~3.5s/d.

sh

i

>being this much of a samefaging fag.
SAD

Is the dial white or champagne? Can't tell if that's lighting trickery or not.

Champagne

Who else /atomic/ here ?

Nope never heard of it. It's pretty common where I'm from

is there a motor to wind the hands back and forth for accuracy in relation to the atomic time?

It's presumably a fly-by-wire, where the hands are more independent than a single drive train and where the watch microprocessor knows where the hands are (a basic quartz watch doesn't need to know what time it is, just when to advance the hands next).

Anus

Nice

thanks user, I knew I could count on you

Did someone say shitter?

Dope. Here is my Luch.

You fucker this is my dream please post wrist pics and hi beat in action. Very nice condition in jelly

>chrono24 seller hasn't confirmed whether my tudor watch has shipped, one week after I made a payment

They have until tomorrow morning before I start to lose my shit.

Actually, yeah.

Well it looks like that's not happening, apparently Seiko will only honor their warranty if you buy it at an authorized store, which I didn't because it was only sold in Japan. Although the bouncy second hand seems new and isn't an issue with any of my other watches, it's apparently very common. The real problem is I now notice that I've gained 5 seconds since setting it this morning.

I guess I'll pull the crown out to keep it from ticking and take it to a local repair shop ASAP.

Love the way these look but i can't find a clean black dial one. Only one that was close is from some Ukrainian trash seller.

Ah didn't know it was JDM. Good luck