Tell me, Sup Forums

Tell me, Sup Forums.

Why aren't you using Vivaldi?

Other urls found in this thread:

vivaldi.com/source/?lang=en_US
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's slow

because chrome on windows 10 just werks :^)

because it is P ~ R ~ O ~ P ~ R ~ I ~ E ~ T ~ A ~ I ~ R ~ Y software

It's one of the best browsers available atm tho

is this better than chrome on windows 7?
please be kind to newfag

It has lots of useful features but it's slow as fuck. Really annoying and a dealbreaker to me, although I would be overjoyed to see a browser with half of Vivaldi's features yet as smooth as Chromium (I mean simple stuff, like "close tabs to the left", for fuck's sake).

because i prefer pale moon

>proprietary
That was precisely one of the reasons I stopped using Google Chrome.

It isn't slow at all for me, nor has it ever been on any of my machines.

vivaldi.com/source/?lang=en_US

This proprietary meme needs to die. It's open source.

you can have software that's "open source" and still proprietary. That happens if there's a nonfree license on the source code. Is there?

But I am, desu.

Just to elaborate, I don't mean sluggish overall, I mean a 0.5-1s delay when performing a few specific operations. Can't quite recall all of them, I think it was opening a new window or moving a tab to a new window, for example.

>works on my machine
dude it's slow. and I mean the UI is slow.
Fucking browser UI lags, why should i use this shit?

It's a good browser, but please stop shilling for it. You're making people hate it by doing so, unless that's actually your intent. In which case, please kill yourself.

same

>720 MB source code
>compressed
Browsers really do suck.

The core browser is closed source

No, Vivaldi is not open source.

A Vivaldi dev is in the best position to explain the state of the browser, but I'll try to explain to the best of my understanding.

The way I understand it, Vivaldi runs as a React app on top of Chromium, but to make that possible, they had to make changes to the way Chromium works (likely how it handles extensions).

The changes to Chromium are under the same BSD license as Chromium itself. The actual bulk of Vivaldi (the React app), by the nature of Javascript, is viewable in plain text. This viewability is the closest Vivaldi gets to open source, and definitely means that the entire browser source code is vettable for privacy purposes (which seems to be what most people look for in an open source browser), but is not sufficient for the browser to become open source software.

The EULA that ships with Vivaldi precludes it from being open source software, much less free software. When we say free and open source software, we do not mean zero-price software or software with viewable source code. The gist of it is: open source software aims for open development where devs can freely contribute to the project, while free software is a stronger, more ethical view that strives to protect all users' freedom to use, learn from, modify, and redistribute the software.

You can read more about free software from the Free Software Foundation's website, and about open source software from the Open Source Initiative's website.

I admire the browser, I use it everyday, and I understand why they make their decisions. The browser just simply cannot be called free or open source software.

That's not the entire source

if i wanted cancer i would use a meme build of firecucks with browser.ctrlTab.preview turned one

Oh it surely has to be. It even includes the entire fucking Mesa source code as part of its "external libraries". There can't be any more dependencies outside of all that.

It's my go to browser for those sites that Opera 12 can't handle. Lucky me Sup Forums is not one of those sites.

I am

it wont play normiebook or twitter gifs and videos on ubuntu, so i uninstalled that fucker

It reminds me too much of old school Opera and I break out in tears and semen uncontrollably