What does Sup Forums think of this project?

What does Sup Forums think of this project?

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365574(v=vs.85).aspx
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-it-legal-to-use-windows-programs-on-linux-using/9b6321ea-7261-43a4-947f-021e9af4c197
gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2753/post_id=11092
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shit

It doesn't seem to come with a web browser which doesn't matter because it doesn't seem to come with NIC drivers either

You can install a web browser though

I don't get the point of it. It's not like the problems with Windows either begin nor end with it being proprietary. I don't even get who'd want to work on such a thing.

There is collaboration with the wine project which is good for everyone, and can be used as a platform for running really old shit programs that don't run on any other modern os. And I'm sure the devs are having fun too. Don't think anyone expects this to be a daily driver for anyone.

It is 0$.
Window is not.

ReactOS and Wine _have_ to suck, because if they didn't suck and could actually take any marketshare away from Windows, Microsoft would have sued the project into the ground.

Think about that for a second. What makes you think that a project operating under those limitations could in any way be good?

Makes sense, sadly, since microshit is a very anticompetitive corporation

Great. When I built my own cmd, I referenced reactos's cource code multiple times.

Would you eat shit just because it's free, user?

>And I'm sure the devs are having fun too.
That's precisely what I can't imagine, though. Who can have fun rewriting garbage?

In 2020, when official support for windows 7 runs out, I intend to switch to React, so I need them to make it work before then.

I can't decide if you know what you're talking about or not, because you're too terse and general.

But in any case, you are 100% correct. I don't know of anybody who has ever had to deal with Win32 and hasn't run away screaming. It is a fucking disaster with awful SuperLongCamelCasedFunctionNames() with a billion parameters and weirdass alternate typedefs for everything like LPSTR and DWORD, just to do things that would be trivial with standard POSIX functions.

Then again, Win32 actually has a couple of neat features that I wish POSIX had. But it's buried under such verbosity that it's just not worth it.

#define _WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS

You are not autistic enough to be on this board :^)

The most important thing to me is that it plays all my old Windows games, plus runs all the emulators. I definitely will NOT be using it as a daily driver, instead probably running it in a VM.

>Then again, Win32 actually has a couple of neat features that I wish POSIX had.
Please exemplify. Honestly curious.

Oh you have no idea the autistic and pointless code I've written. Even if I know it's pointless doesn't mean I think it's bad, however. It was fun to write.

Well, here's an example for when I was trying to write some Windows-specific inter-process-communications.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365574(v=vs.85).aspx

Win32 gives you more options out of the box, and the options that are similar to POSIX equivalents generally have more features - for example, named pipes in Win32 behave more like a specially-namespaced network-transparent UNIX domain sockets with extra duck sauce.

>network-transparent UNIX domain sockets
If there's anything I'll never ever understand, it is why they didn't make Unix sockets werk over NFS.

NFS is a filesystem protocol. UNIX domain sockets only use up an inode, but they're not actually files behind the scenes, they're buffers in memory.

I imagine NFS support would complicate the implementation of domain sockets considerably - now you have to deal with the realities that both ends of the socket might not be local to the machine (or even the same type of *NIX), plus the added "fun" that the realities of networking involve - and for what, a stream of bytes on top of NFS (the N stands for Notoriously unreliable) on top of...TCP. Or UDP, if you cock up the NFS configuration, which is likely.

Just use TCP if you need a stream of bytes between two remote machines.

Hopefully it werks™ by the time Windows 8.1 dies.

It's great

inb4
>he just said his actual opinion! let's kill him!

>NFS is a filesystem protocol. UNIX domain sockets only use up an inode, but they're not actually files behind the scenes, they're buffers in memory.
Of course, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to implement them thus.

>Just use TCP if you need a stream of bytes between two remote machines.
It would be awfully practical, though. You'd get hierarchical naming all within the confines of ordinary filesystem calls, and you'd get authentication and encryption along with it automatically.

Contrary to memes WINE is in fact impressively capable, all things considered. They are very careful to not do anything illegal. It's as behind as it is because they have to re-implement the Windows APIs from scratch; disassembling and reverse engineering Windows, which would rapidly speed up development, would open them up to lawsuits. As it stands, they're legally in the clear and have had formal audits to ensure that. It doesn't take away marketshare because in reality no one gives a shit about their computers they just want it to work. If it doesn't they take it to BestBuy.

ReactOS on the other hand is a steaming piece of shit developed by ruskies for ruskies that has no clear purpose.

thred poolz

Does win32 have builtin utility functions for thread pools?

it's got better everything for mulithreading than archaic linusx

Such as?

Wine is starting to run Witcher 3 nowadays though. You can play it but there are some graphic issues here and there such as pic related.

I think I've been looking forward to it being finished soon for over 15 years

>gaming on wine

Non existent driver support

Ask GNU users.

It's doomed to stay an educational project. That's not a bad thing, though.

It's shit
A ded shit

>gayming
>ever
You must be 27 y. o. to post here.

like linux

That is, at least, not an official stance that has been emanated from Redmond.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-it-legal-to-use-windows-programs-on-linux-using/9b6321ea-7261-43a4-947f-021e9af4c197

Why not? I've done it to what I considered success.

I've no clue how well they've succeeded, but their intention is to implement the driver side of the Windows API as well, so that drivers made for Windows can be used unmodified for ReactOS.

you are aweare there is native linux version of Witcher 3 on steam now, right?

fucking awesome. The last release I was able to download and install a recent libreoffice and then run it. It seemed to hang, but the UI did come up. A couple days after the release they fixed that bug upstream.

I don't know why so many asshats on Sup Forums love paying that MS tax.

This.

Normies will whine about everything that takes more than 3 mouse clicks. Fuck learn to use technology.

Comfy

You know we're being invaded by Sup Forums when windows users say "muh gaymes" instead of "muh photoshop"

>silky smooth 2 FPS

The day that it runs modded Morrowind, Giild Wars and various Chinese Mmorpgs, I will totally switch to it.

Wine is pretty good for gaming(If you are not an idiot who bought a amd card and can take a performance hit). If they ever get gaming sorted out maybe they will work on getting more proprietary applications running well.

my HD7850 performs quite well, fyi

Pretty neat, I'd use it if I could get it to install on my hardware given I can play Civilization 4 and Sim City 4

Doesn't it just take Windows XP drivers?

No there isn't. Quit lying.

You just got me thinking about the state of Linux, since both games will run on Linux, with one of them having the option to use a native binary on it.

Cool when you realize how far an operating system made for autists by autists has come.

I see 40 FPS from this report on the state of Witcher 3 on Wine: gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2753/post_id=11092

OK, lets try this!

> setup can't recognize usb kb
> all done, reboot, BSOD 0x07
> it works! but it lag as fuck
> half of drivers can not be installed (nvidia / 865 chipset)
> mfw

seriously guys, even KolibriOS is more completed than RectalOS.

>seriously guys, even KolibriOS is more completed than RectalOS.
No fucking shit. KolibriOS is just an OS, ReactOS is a reverse engineered one. You're a goddamned retard.

Why not just run a Windows VM to begin with?

Why if ReactOS works?

Eh, seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to have to deal with
>botnet
>can only use certain hardware
>Windows Update slowness
>ads
>just tired of the brand, the OS, and their way of doing things in general

I realized, ReactOS written that would be written.
Maximum autism.

>ReactOS written that would be written
What?

I know winfags are looking for an alternative, but goddamn, why do you want it to be exactly like windows? Windows is shit, maybe win95 was innovative but that's it, let it die, there are better things now, even KDE if you want that sort of shit.

write code for the code, instead of the result.

Doesn't always work. I've played 3D Windows games on a VM before and it was just occasional graphical glitches and mouse sensitivity problems.

Well that's not the point of this project.

A lot of old programs (and yes, vidya gaymes) require certain Windows-only drivers to be in certain directories. So instead of doing things peacemeal, it's easier to build an OS that's structured like Windows and uses the same stuff as Windows, even if it's not Windows, so those programs will work properly. 'Cause a lot of 'em don't work properly on modern hardware/OSes.

And 90 percent of them will fail to install or will break the os.

Compatibility and preservation. It's getting harder and harder to use old programs on modern Windows.

I have found open source Linux alternatives to all programs I've used on Windows but there are thousands of games that will never get Linux ports. I'd love to have a ReactOS shitbox to play old vidya on desu.

>Wine Internet Explorer
Why?

I don't understand the point of this operating system. Making an open source version of Windows XP who no one uses anymore makes no sense.

I think it's amazing, last time I tried games that could run on Windows XP and 7 worked far better on XP in my old (now dead) PC.
I'm really looking forward to it reaching Windows 7 levels of compatibility.

this doesn't exactly solve the problems pointed out