/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/1143/how-can-i-uninstall-software
help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-firewall-on-off.html
0x0.st'
youtube.com/watch?v=RCv4Y0v5PZI
git.solus-project.com/?ofs=2050
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where Stallman is?

Eating.

What are some cool terminal commands?

less -f /dev/null

Ok I uninstalled iptables and I still dont have my internet. Im clearly connected to the fucking wifi. All I did was click on the fuxking buttons for my motherfucking firewall next thing you know I dont have internet so I turned it off and then the firewall breaks on me. Now After almost two fucking hours of searching and uninstalling random shit I still cant browse I dont want to go back to windows. Im using ubuntu mate 16.04.whataver anybody can pitch in AnYTHING WILLL HElLLLLLPPpP

I can't post my command because cloudflare drops the post thinking I'm trying to hack the site or some shit, and trying to workaround it gets flagged as spam by Sup Forums.

Sup Forums is so ghey these days

I prob should have used the vm method first but I really want to kick windows out the curb I tried shit from
askubuntu.com/questions/1143/how-can-i-uninstall-software
And from here
help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-firewall-on-off.html
Really Linux shouldnt be giving simple shit from something this fuxking small I had installed only for 3 days and it breaks with a simple fucking click configuring a firewall

alias 0x0='curl -sSF 'file=@-' 0x0.st'

date | 0x0
0x0 < stallman.jpg

0x0 < cool_terminal_commands.exe

wew, pls replace 'file=@-' with "file=@-"
copied from a function

What triggered the error, do you know?
Current list: ls [whycensor]-l, /proc/[whycensor]cmdline

In vim, I want to search for a pattern that only matches if it is in a specified proximity of a second string. For example, I want foo to match only if bar is within three lines of it.

Let me try something:
echo "localhost Sup Forums.org" >> /etc/hosts

How do I reformat ubuntu back to normal without having to reinstall the whole system?
>inb4 delete system64

Ok that was it I had to use Japanese slashes and let Sup Forums replace it with normal slashes lol.
If you try to make a post containing "/etc/hosts" you get "connection error"

Then I was using the loopback address instead of localhost so Sup Forums was flagging it as spam too.

kek, added to the list

Hello I have a very old powermac G4 that I want to put gentoo on but I know the compile time will take forever on that toaster and possibly melt the hardware.

Does anyone know of a way for me to compile the system for it on one machine and then put it on the powermac? I can't use distcc because networking is not an option.

youtube.com/watch?v=RCv4Y0v5PZI
good shit

OpenBSD has binaries.

I want gentoo because I want to compile packages optimized for the powermac g4.

easy guess

Reposting from an old thread:
I'm getting this problem with my X220 where it won't connect to my TV. I plug it in and the TV gets no signal, but my laptop gets unresponsive too about half the time. I have it set so that its screen turns off when it's plugged in, and even thought I'm not connected the screen goes dark. What's worse is that when I unplug it the screen stays dark and I can't even adjust the volume. Usually I can get it back on by logging out but sometimes I have to shut it down manually. I'm not sure if the problem is with my computer's hardware, the HDMI cable, the TV, or my software. Until today it was all working fine.

By the way, I'm running Ubuntu.

> Does anyone know of a way for me to compile the system for it on one machine and then put it on the powermac?
Of course you can do that with Gentoo, it supports cross-compiling and binary packages.

Or you can use Sabayon's tooling as well.

What happens if you just manually use "xrandr"?
Basically you just type xrandr by itself to list all the displays and their available resolutions. Then you do something like:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080

I would recommend figuring out the right xrandr for your computer screen and keeping a terminal window open. So even if your screen goes black and you can't see you can still type the command out to turn your monitor back on (or maybe even just bind it to a hotkey or whatever works for you)

I want to drop botnet 10 and install a linux distro, which one is the most easy/comfy to use?

Tastes vary, which is why a lot of people use a lot of different distros even among interactive end user desktop-oriented distros.

Start trying one and see if it works for you.

I want something easy to use, similar to windows 10 gui.

Why is spacemacs such a piece of shit? I've tried installing it multiple times now from both the git repo and my instructors home directory on my school's Red Hat servers and my WSL (which required building emacs-25.1 from source because Ubuntu's repos are horseshit, which was the most ridiculous build process I've gone through; building Linux was less esoteric), and it either totally shits itself and can't do anything, or half of the interface is undisplayed unicode characters despite me having installed all the fonts on the machine it's running, my windows installation, and WSL. Even ignoring that horseshit, it's ridiculously slow. All I need is fucking org mode and an elisp interpreter, and my instructor is like hurr use spacemacs it's like vim but emacs, but at this point I'm starting to think I'll have better luck getting an org-mode plugin for vim, a superior editor.

Fuck emacs. Fuck spacemacs. Fuck GNU. Fuck Stallman.

Nah, tried that and nothing happened. It might not be a problem with the TV or cable, because the fact that the screen goes off means at least something is connected.

Find a theme that you like
Apply it
???
Profit

I need a distro with minicom in /bin, suggestions?

Jaromil posts on Sup Forums?

You should just hop on youtube, search linux desktop environments and get a good idea of what there is to choose from

Sorry to say but there really isn't any distro I would call both easy and comfy right now.

These things change over time. Ubuntu used to be the one, before they went insane.
Right now, I'd say there's a few on the horizon that could be the next big hype distro loved by both new and experienced users. But we're probably not quite there yet.

My current opinion is you either just go straight for an advanced distro, or you install a "user-friendly" one but will probably want to change it in a few years.

Thanks for the info

now suck our cocks maki

Maki is pure, she doesn't do that kind of things

pure shit

Hi, I recently installed Fedora 25 on my HTPC and my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard is disabled after I resume from a suspend.

Please help, I really want to use Linux on my homeroom and this is a deal breaker for me If i want to use it for my HTPC.

How scary is void?

subjective

>Why are Autobahns such pieces of shit? I've tried having them built multiple times now by both my own workers and some contractors in my country (which required building Autobahn 25 from concrete because Asphalt is horseshit, which was the most ridiculous build process I've gone through; building statues of myself was less esoteric), and they either totally shit themselves and can't do anything, or half of the lanes are unfinished despite me having drawn all the markings on my plans, the plans the contractors used, and in my drawing book. Even ignoring that horseshit, it's ridiculously slow. All I need is one fucking exit and a couple kms of straight roads, and my instructor is like hurr use Autobahns it's like A roads but fast, but at this point I'm starting to think I'll have better luck getting an Autobahn plugin for A roads, a superior type of road.

>Fuck roads. Fuck Autobahns. Fuck Nazis. Fuck Hitler.

This is how stupid you sound.
>waaah waaah I am too stupid to install some software that thousands of people have been working with for decades
>fuck everyone and everything which is associated with this thing I can't get to work, it's everyone else's fault!!!!!!!!

I'm going to stick an old computer in a garage shop, dirty environment. I wanna run a live-cd just so it will run browsers/pull up youtube and shit.

its an old athlonXP 1900, but it has a gig of ram.

whats the top 3 livecds for low-spec machines? (noob to linux in general)

"puppo linux" and salix are two hot contenders

>spend all night setting up nextcloud
>realize i dont really need it when its all done

Puppy Linux

You install any distribution and then install minicom.

There is no reason why those would run any better compared to something like Ubuntu with the same software on top of it.
Stop recommending shitty niche distributions, retards. Chances are you've never used those yourself and you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

does nvidia not work with GNU/Linux or something? every single liveCD i've tried on my desktop blackscreens and nomodeset doesn't fix it.

Maybe because this is a distro meant for live image usage, it's lightweight af and will run on shitty hardware. Not something you can say for Ubuntu (Xubuntu or Lubuntu may work tho)

I didn't get specific, but the box has no HDD. don't need people able to mess it up, or bother having it fail.

Why do you think a live session would run faster? Not only will running it from a shitty USB 2.0 device (at best) be slower than running it from an SATA2 hard drive, but you can use the same software on it as on your shitty niche distributions. See this :

>vlc
>palemoon
>lxde what it appears to be
None of those are Puppy Linux exclusive.

>hurrdurr everyone should use Ubuntu because I say so

Fuck off, idiot.

If that's what you got from that, then your reading comprehension is on level with a 2nd grader.

>oh no someone didn't mention my distribution and they mentioned this other sensible choice for beginners but not even that definitely
>i don't like this how dare they?!

On top of that you haven't provided any actual arguments or data which would back up the fact that those shitty niche distributions would run faster than one of the major distributions running the same software. Hint: you can't because that's impossible.

Sorry, but I think it's you who should kill himself.

And if you think Ubuntu would be even remotely appropriate for the use-case presented, you're either illiterate or so far up your own ass that you can't comprehend that not everyone needs to use Ubuntu. So go fuck yourself with a rake.

How much software is available on Solus nowadays? I want a decent "just werks" distribution with a good MATE desktop support for all of my laptops. I do a ton of programming and need loads of software for that so I'm currently using Ubantoo MATE on all of my devices.

Have you still not figured out that Ubuntu was just an example? I don't even use Ubuntu, but I can claim that there's no reason to use those shitty niche distributions ,especially not if idiots like you think they would "run faster".

Why wouldn't Ubuntu be appropriate? Do you have any actual arguments or just failed reading comprehension?

Why do you think Solus would have "better" Mate "support" than Ubuntu or any other distribution? Assuming you use the same version, it's exactly the same software.

git.solus-project.com/?ofs=2050

>Have you still not figured out that Ubuntu was just an example?
...do you not understand what "example" means? Do you even read your OWN posts? How is it you're even able to type with so much brain damage?

>I don't even use Ubuntu, but I can claim that there's no reason to use those shitty niche distributions ,especially not if idiots like you think they would "run faster".
That's only because you're a fucking idiot. How are you even in this thread if you don't know what "live-CD" means?

>hurr durr Noobuntu for newbies XD
Stop your life now.

Not even remotely what I said, retard. It's just not a good choice if you need LIGHT-WEIGHT DISTRO BEING RUN FROM A LIVE-CD

>How are you even in this thread if you don't know what "live-CD" means?

There was no reason for him to stick to a distribution that runs from RAM. See his original post.
Then idiots like you come in and suggest idiotic solutions based on myths and assumptions (PuppyLinux and other stuff is faster than [insert major distribution here]). Only later did he state that his computer has no hard drive. Not even then are those distributions warranted, because you can install distributions on USB flash drives the same way you can on hard drives. Bottom line, he won't see any improvement when running Firefox and browsing YouTube on PuppyLinux compared to any other distribution on the same hardware.

He can either have something that does what he wants out of the box, or he can take something that's meant for a different use-case entirely and spend several hours customizing it. Bottom line is that only a retard would insist the latter is a reasonable choice unless he just wants to mess around for fun.

Now that we're clear on that, just fuck off and kill yourself, you retarded waste of oxygen.

So... do you have data which proves that Firefox or similar software runs significantly faster on PuppyLinux or any of those similar distributions? Because that's the point here in case you missed it.

No, but the recommended specs for ubuntu include minimum of 2 GB of RAM, so I would guess that it won't run too well with half of that. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.

There is something called the Ubuntu net-installer. No one is forcing you to use Unity.

>bluetooth support in Linux used to be pretty good
>BlueZ 4.0 revamp in 2008 broke everything
>NINE YEARS LATER
>still borked beyond belief

Why is this allowed?

>no harddrive

Both Ubuntu and Solus have good MATE support. I didn't say one would have better than the other. Both have a maintainer for the MATE version. Both have nice MATE defaults and software to improve the MATE experience. F.ex. Ubuntu MATE comes with stuff like mate-menu and Solus with brisk-menu to improve the MATE experience. Both also include MATE Tweak and other crap that's usually not in any repositories and has to be compiled. I have so many devices I don't have time for configuring and compiling.

That wasn't known when the question was posted. Regardless of that, the point that one should use those shitty distributions gets made all the time whenever someone mentions low-end hardware.
He has an USB flash drive.

The whole point is to run a distro from a usb stick or a DVD/CD. It also needs to be as lightweight as possible because oh his shit specs.
What is it that you don't understand?

The original post literally said he want's a LIVE-CD distro. Having or not having a HDD doesn't matter if you specifically ask for something to run from a live cd.

thanks, nice digits

Is there a way to uninstall unity from ubuntu 16.04 after installing xfce, without fucking it up?
Tried to just purge unity, but got a "screen, graphics card etc not detected, system running in low-graphics mode what do you want to do?" and then some options, but compltetely unrespoponsive.
Had to reinstall unity, and everything works fine.

I could just nuke everything and install xubuntu from a live-cd, if there's no way to remove unity.

Maybe post the list of packages that get uninstalled when you remove unity? It shouldn't be hard to locate the shit you need to keep. Then marking those packages as manually installed may be enough to keep them installed.

Did you remember to log out and switch to xfce first?

Yes sure.
True. Think I just install xubuntu then, it's a clean install anyway. Just having unity laying around bothers me, and it sounds like it'll be more work to uninstall unity.

>when people unironically add a copyright to their dotfiles
github is getting worse every day

>calling it dotfiles
>thinking the host of those files has anything to do with the people's behvaviour
>thinking a license's only benefit is to prevent stealing and not preventing liability from your computer exploding when running my configuration file for a taskbar
>thinking that people hosting things on a file host is in any way contributing to said filehost's greatness

Idiot.

- github is shite ootb, even without normies using it
- making dotfiles proprietary is literally retarded with no benefit, why even uploading
- github not teaching people about correct licensing actually created stupid usage

really? post a link

There's no easy to use distro, you should choose one based on people you know who can help you with Linux.
If you don't know anyone, get Ubuntu because it has largest install base and increases your chances on getting help with it.

Technically, adding a copyright notice (without any license) does literally nothing. Stuff you post online without a free license is (c) copyright, You, automatically.

not sure with that, there was a controversity with githubs recent TOS changes, which grants github some permissive rights

>- github is shite ootb, even without normies using it
Why is it shit?

>- making dotfiles proprietary is literally retarded with no benefit, why even uploading
Who said anything about making it proprietary?

>- github not teaching people about correct licensing actually created stupid usage
That's not a file host's responsibility, but they recommend licensing anything you upload there.

/thread

I publish mine under the GPLv3. Therefore they aren't proprietary.

Hi guys, i have a question.
Ok so my mouse scrolling is kinka weird on my debian, let me explain:
>on windows
smooth, and in an internet browser, just incredibly smooth and fast, ok
>on my gnu
smooth too, but in an internet browser not really and the speed change cause the wheel itself is not mechanicly smooth and i have to roll a lot.
My problem is quite solved with an add_on, but i would like to know if there is something i can modify deep in my browser instead of just go to /firefox_menu/options/advanced/general/smooth scrolling (disabled now cause the add_on is better).
Thank you.

Anyway of using Sup Forums x with qutebrowser? Or anything like it?

>using windows

check the archwiki for firefox, theres a section for scrolling problems

What distro should I install on a 2012 MacBook Air? I have used Debian and Ubuntu so I know my way around Linux.

I want to dual boot Arch and Windows and I'm struggling to understand how to do that from the installer, since I've never partitioned a disk before. Specifically, I don't understand how to resize the Windows partition in order to free space for the Arch partitions. Any tips?

My tip is to use your favourite search engine for 10 seconds, and maybe to read some wikipedia articles on that.

GNU/Linux*

I will do that, thx.

How do I correctly setup permissions for my websites /public_html folder?

Now it's nginix:nginx, what I want to do is to make another user, let's say "john", would be able to edit/delete the files in that folder.

Is adding user "john" to group 'nginx' and
chmod -R g+rw /public_html

is a good idea? Is this the correct way?

Sounds good. That's what I'd do at least.

What mail server config would you recommend for personal use? I was using dovecot + postfix smtp/imap with startssl.com certs but it was driving me mad all the time

You can just boot from a systemrescuecd liveusb and use gparted, which is a partitioning tool with a gui, where resizing a partition is a matter of right click → resize

I tried to load the GParted live CD, but it doesn't seem to load past a tty for some reason. I just want to know how to resize a given partition using one of the tools in the installer, because the wiki isn't very clear in this regard.

Hey g, brainlet ricer here. How do I make lemonbar not dissapear I want to press screenshot button? Please no bully.
lcher(){
echo '%{A:exec scrot:}  %{A}%{A:wpg:}  %{A}'
}
loops=$(( loops + 1 ))
echo "%{l}$(ws)$(mus)%{c}$(lcher)%{r}$(bat)$(clock)"
sleep 0.1

done | lemonbar -g 1366x24 -B "#2f1e2e" -F "#D2D1CF" -f "Font Awesome:size=11" -f "Carlito:size=11" -p | \
while read line; do eval "$line"; done &