Java or C++?

Java or C++?

been learning C++ for a while and made some games with SFML but i'm looking for give to java an oportunitty.

Java is the language of the future

rlly? how you know it?

FPBP
/thread

deepblockchaining with nodejs at webscale on elk stack running on k8s or go home

I would only consider using Java for android
Java, everything is an object, no pointers, you need a virtual machine
C++ is just C with objects, type safety, method overloading, polymorphism

this post is everything I hate

Java is mainly good for small games and Android apps. I wouldn't use it for anything else

do you recommend it for an indie game developer?

backend development

>spotted the half stack engineer

bet you are a fucking white cis male, please don't come to our conference or host your code on our hub ever again

I looked at job openings in my state and there's way more Java positions available than anything else,except maybe Ruby on Rails and JavaScript. I think C++ is a bit better but also probably harder to learn.

>think C++ is a bit better
Sorry, I meant I think C++ is maybe a bit more flexible. I'm just talking out of my ass, though.

Java is already legacy shit

Except that this is the opinion of a 5 year old. Go check backend dev positions with Spring.

Guess you're unemployed hahaha

>hating elasticsearch
Why tho?

ask notch the billionaire

>implying Notch knows anything about writing stuff that isn't a bloated Java piece of shit
He even admits to it for god's sake.

>unironically not hating EShit

>you have to create a new index to change the document structure
>no joins
>JSON as query language
>designed by the same ego stroking web people who believe XML is verbose

hey, at least it is fast at what it is doing, which is basically nothing
hell is when you have to work with ES. When your peers suggest to use it, you know you are among plebs

ES is to be used only for searching data you store somewhere else or don't care to store.

It may present itself as a database, but it's more of a search engine.

And if you have a faster open source search engine, do tell, I run Terabytes of data through it to caulm for fab errors, so even a marginal improvement would save me tons.

No man, if you want to rant about NoSQL DBs, use MongoDB, ES actually has an industrial use.

Java is number one language

I know it better than Hind- I mean English!

>implying I said anything about DBs, but nice strawman anyway

do they teach it at how to defend ES 101?

>implying I don't have petabytes of data indexed and queried in sql

+ the documentation is atrocious, the versioning is joke and you have to actively work against it. What is that, you want more than a couple of results? Too bad, you have to restructure your whole query and use a different api endpoint haha

Why not just learn both?

I'd rather kill myself than write Windows API code in C++.

Gotta give you that, they did fuck around with versioning so fucking bad i had to rewrite my queries on every major version.

But I still don't have a better tool to use. And you didn't answer my question so I'll assume you don't have a better one in mind.

And when I said Terabytes I was talking throughput, not whole size. Not that it matters, past a certain size you only care about having polynomial time operations anyways.

haha hilarious post

have an upvote

entirely depends on the details of your specific queries, try to state the problem to some dba

ES was sold as the panacea of full text searches, but the tokenizer and co is so shit, I was amazed

>case insensitive but returns null for upper case queries
>special character like * break searches

all carefully hid behind some obscure documentation

>no pointers
it has pointers, you just never need to dereference them

that's the worst fucking thing, it means you have to do ass-backwards shit like foo.equals(bar);

you don't have to do that, you could compare hashcode() instead :^)