You need git as a single developer developing a personal project

>you need git as a single developer developing a personal project
Why?

If you need to revert back to a former version, or maybe you have a development branch and a stable branch.

Who are you quoting?

Because unless you're writing single-file bash/python scripts, you'd be stupid to not use git.

online portfolio, plus it's an extra layer of backup in case your computer blows up

If .git is gone then nothing helps

they might mean they also push it to a remote server, like GitHub or Bitbucket, so they could just clone it again.

I think it's a bait but basically this

>what is versioning

> all take "what is version control" for 100
> bonus points for "shows employers that you know how git work"

for publishing on github (at least as backup)
for branches (at least stable/develop)
for editor/ide because they detect .git folder and take it as project root

ITT: shitty reasons

Either you only write "hello world"-tier programs or you implement your own form of version control instead of using git

This is bait.

Or, you develop a huge ass program using nothing but manual backups.

Nothing but meme programmers with their memes ITT

You want simple redundancy in case of a system failure, OP. Jesus. But I wouldn't used some distributed crap, no I would go with a centralized solution because I want my repository to live elsewhere. Plus, I'm not going offline or worry about others so I don't need a local repository. Nah, I'll use SVN instead of GIT.

>his editor doesn't handle that

>apache software
>ever

This. Emacs has built-in version control capabilities. Git is an unnecessary burden for personal projects. Branching is a meme.

what editor does that?

please no autismo answers like vim or emacs

It's way easier to track your changes.

You don't have to use github, there is plenty of alternatives that offer free private repos. You could also host your own git repo.

I was using dropbox before realizing every job applications want a github link.

Why would you track your changes? Then you're developing backwards, not forwards.

Because you can try out things in multiple branches, go back and forth between revisions, you have a fucking backup and after a long time you can read the revision history tounderstand why you did some things.

I don't understand why you don't see thosebenefits. Are you retarded?

>go back and forth between revisions
Seems like a shitty way to program.

I use folders with source code and timestamp on them, is git Superior? And how?

I think he's talking about any editor with git integration.

I don't know, since he was shittalking git in the first place.
But maybe you're right.

>is git Superior?
Infinitely.

>And how?
Every way imaginable.

You don't. Just use RCS.

no real response indicates you can't back up your claims

Git is vastly superior.

- It's easier.
- It consumes far less disk space
- It keeps a log with commit messages so you can actually find where you made changes.
- It lets you see which lines were altered and how.
- It can merge changes to a single file.

If you wanna cripple yourself then don't use it

No. It's just necessary when developing big projects. You'll love branches and commits when your changes go back multiple hours or even days of work. That's stuff you better should not try with undo/redo, even when using an editor having undo-tree.

Yep. I never even knew source control existed when I did a couple of projects years ago for a couple of gaming communities, and basically broke stuff without even remembering how it used to be in order to revert it.

Wish I'd have known about git or svn then, would've saved me loads of hassle.

Because git blaming your old commit messages is superior to inline comments.

> Fixed for real this time
> fixed
> asdf
> initial commit

What did you change between the current version and the last version?
Just copying your source files won't tell you that; any version control system will - it's just that git is the best.

Let's say you're in the middle of a new feature, but then you discover a bug in the existing application.
With git, you can easily stop what you're doing, fix the bug, then pick right back up where you were. You can't do that with just copying your source files.

Version control is absolutely essential for development, and git is the best version control system out there.

I even use git when I write an article.

>But I wouldn't used some distributed crap, no I would go with a centralized solution because I want my repository to live elsewhere
Are you mentally impaired? (Honest question)

Or if you don't want your stuff to be public access or under the control of someone else, git repos can easily be copied or cloned to any kind of storage or remote server under your control.

>all these git shills
codelets when will they learn

>I really wish I had not deleted that one function that took me 1.5 hours to write, in favor of saving screen real-estate

Best practice starts at home. If you're gonna do it right might as well do it right everywhere, less you become a sloppy undisciplined bitch.

>shills
>free open source program.

>working for a company that doesn't use any svn/git anything anything at all
>huge ass projects with 20k loc fully bloated
>one ftp where multiple person work on at different times
>connect to ftp, download one file, work on it, upload it again. Backup halfheartedly on your pc and maybe in the ftp in the same directory with some random name
>we have been doing this for over 16 years now, no joke, welcome to the real world.
>I also know another company that does it like this

there's at least offsite backup right?

>developing on multiple computers
>commit often practice is useful in every project even if you are alone as it makes you to think small and get shit done
>feature branches are helpful because you can go back if you found a bug and check if it was introduced while working on the new feature itself or is it some older bug you just found

Two backups (another online and one offline of the current state. If there is an error, then the projectbackup has that error too) and maybe backups of the files you download and store in your own folder.

One thing to add:
>programmer A downloads file, starts working on it
>programmer B downloads the file an hour later and also starts working on it
>B loads the file up after like 4 hours of work
>Sometime later A loads the file up and overwrites everything B did.
This happened in the past. Since then, people talk to each other a bit more.

>free

emacs vc just interfaces with a git repository, it's not replacing it at all

Is there any reason to use CVS, SVN, or gh over git?

s/shills/cultists

SVN is a bit easier to use. But git is the one to rule them all in the real world.

It's both free as in freedom and free as in beer.

I don't see what your problem is?

So why haven't YOU stepped up and done something about it?

Please never work where I work. You're literally stupid aren't you?

I have to pay to keep my privacy when using it

>- It keeps a log with commit messages so you can actually find where you made changes.

No it doesn't. YOU keep the log.

>I am too retarded to know the difference between git and github

OK, KYS then.

I only write the commit messages.

Git combines them into a log, ads time stamps and other info, and tracks which changes in which files were involved in each commit.
Doing all this myself would be a lot more work than just typing
>git commit -m"added poo to designated street"

Here's the thing. Version control is basically for stupid and undisciplined people. If you develop right you don't need shit like that. It's only useful for teamwork.

No, I was referring to emacs' numbered backups..

LMao you are retarded that's github not git

/thread

Confirmed for mental retardation.

>go to git
>"Learn Git in your browser for free with Try Git."
>it links to a github url
whatever you say

hahahaha