So Sup Forums

Im getting back into gaming and I'm gonna build a cheapfag PC. The two options I've narrowed it down too are either getting a used Dell optiplex 790 with a i5 2400 and just putting a 1050 ti and 4 more gigs of RAM
Or
Just building a new PC with a Pentium g4400 and a 1050 ti

Both will cost about the same. So which would you choose? And if I did go with the optiplex is the TI's 40 dollar price increase worth it over the regular 1050? Or will the old i5 bottleneck the slightly more powerful ti anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/YxmvK8
pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/#view=VRX9TW
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-Intel-i5-2400-3-1GHz-Quad-Core-4GB-250GB-HD-Win-7-Key-/132226150314?hash=item1ec94aefaa:g:E~sAAOSw-89ZQFPp
amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497397464&sr=8-1&keywords=1030 gt
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNyxqk
youtube.com/watch?v=eyD1Eh9mQAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why would you buy this?

Even a normal computer is better

>wanting to be a CORELET

just buy a pone it'll be faster

I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible and it's main purpose would be catch up on old games I missed and run newer stuff at like medium 60fps.

Can't your main PC do that?

I haven't had a desktop in like 6 years. I've been a laptop fagget.

>medium 60fps
need 4 threads for that these days. Get a 4 core, maybe one with integrated graphics, so you can save up and buy graphics card later.
Would save up for ryzen 5 in your place.

>pic not related

I can afford a better setup but I don't feel like spending more than like 400.

pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/YxmvK8

IDK what the hell I am doing but this is what I came up with. How does this look?

g4560
any mobomobo
8gb ram
scrapyard case and cx400 or some other cheap psu

get it all used and you should get it under 400 autism bucks

Damn, why is ram soo freakin expensive? I rememmber buying 2GB DDR2/3 sticks for 20 dolla

If I was going to spend that much I'd probably get an i7 instead. Thanks, but no thanks.

so I dont get what youre saying, thank, but no thanks
idk, how much should RAM be

I looked into the 970 before the 1050 ti and couldn't find a used one for less than like 225.

Keep looking.

Sandy i5 systems go for like $110. There's really no greater bang for the buck since the processor alone is still ~$110 tier compared to new.

i fucking give up. Its too hard choosing parts for a pc. I just cant do it. people always say im picking something wrong.
I just want something similar to the pc my friend made last summer but not as pricey...

here is his pc
pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/#view=VRX9TW

>idk, how much should RAM be
Seems like the industry is ripping everyone off. Few ddr chips on a PCB should not cost more than an entire motherboard.
Yes, im mad.

Ok. I have been out of the loop a few years but I thought that the new Pascal GPUs we're supposed to be a lot better than the old Maxwell ones. Too the point where the budget ones performed on par with older premium Maxwell GPUs. Is this wrong?

Get an rx 460, better value. How much money you want to spend?

>even considering a 3.5GB video card

Looks fine. I don't know about that mouse, keyboard, though.

Check for cpu mobo ram bundles on ebay

I got a i5 6400, asrock board, 16gb ram and cooler for 250eur

That was my thought in this. For 120 bucks I would get an 3.1 GHz i5, motherboard, 4 gigs of RAM and a case. I would only need a new power supply more ram and a cheap graphics card and be good to go.

This is pretty much every every nvidia generation for the past 6 years, they all get shuffled down the order when new cards come out

your options are 970 or 1060 with your price point. I would recommend an amd card but they are sold out pretty much everywhere.

$90. New listing. Free shilling.

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-Intel-i5-2400-3-1GHz-Quad-Core-4GB-250GB-HD-Win-7-Key-/132226150314?hash=item1ec94aefaa:g:E~sAAOSw-89ZQFPp

Most popular gaymin card
decent price/perf
can pick em up used pretty cheap.
no amd cards in stock

>b-b-b-but 3.5
Unless yo are paying shadow of modor in 4k it never becomes an issue

I considered the 1060 too but worried about spending more just to have the older CPU bottleneck it.

99% of your games are going to be gpu bottlenecked on a 1060

Get a cheap i7/8Gb tower off ebay for $150 or so.

+ new ssd + video card

easily doable for $400

*and the 790 mini tower comes with a 265W PSU, so you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a 1050 or Ti.

RAM and NAND prices are high because supply has had hard time meeting demand. Most fabs are currently also testing new smaller process nodes (and thus higher capacities), which means at around Q4 2017- Q1 2018 you should see prices dropping soon and the trend of $ to GB ratio get better.

What's wrong with it that you have it so rock bottom?

We have a lot of them.

Get a old H61 mobo for 10$
Get a SB or IB Xeon E3 1270 for 50$
8gb of 1333mhz ram for 30$
450w 80+ bronze PSU 25$
RX 560 or 1050 90$~ meme coins kind of fuck this atm
Reuse HDD if you have one
Free/cheap case

I built this for my parents, it should work for you too.

Just need to make sure the mobo BIOS is updated to accommodate Kaby Lake.

E3 1270's go for $100.
I'm also not seeing any deals on E3-1230/1240's. Often Xeon systems go for less than the same i7 ones, but for Sandy it looks like the i7 2600 is less.

I forgot I put a 1050ti in . You can go without a dedicated GPU if you want. Alternatively you can use a 1030 GT instead.

amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497397464&sr=8-1&keywords=1030 gt

I bookmarked it. But I thought I would have to get a new psu anyway because the 790s pci doesn't put out enough for the 1050 ti anyway?

Hmm paid 70$ for mine 5 days ago

The only xeon that is bad is the 1220/1225 as its non hyper threaded

Does the 1050 Ti require a 6 pin? If not it should be fine. You're only looking at ~115W for the system. A card that only draws from the PCI-E is 75W max, so you're a good 75W under the rated power.

2400 is really weak but it would be a better start than a 2t 4400. You could always put a 3770 or xeon 1270v2 in it later for more cpu muscle.

might just want a console at that price range though

I have a PS4 I just want something to play a lot of the somewhat older games I missed and casual shit like bf1. I used to PC game as a young teen and just got back into gaming and I can't aim for shit with a controller.

How much are you looking to spend and do you have any desktop parts like a case or HDD?

Preferably 400 or less but I would go up to 600 if I could get some amazing deal.

This will run everything on 1080p @ high settings 45-60fps
Medium settings will run great

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNyxqk

Video with game benchmarks on this hardware setup

youtube.com/watch?v=eyD1Eh9mQAg

Very similar to the build I had planned(I retardedly thought the g4400 was the newer one) I'll probably end up doing this as it won't preform a whole lot better than the i5 2400 for being 100+ bucks more but as the new i5s and i7s dip in price with ryzen and i9 coming out, I can pick one up cheap and slap it in.

Did you miss where he could get an i5 2400 system for $90 that's perfectly capable of hosting a 1050 Ti?

Yea you want the 4560 over the 4400 unless you already bought it. 4560 had hyperthreading and this helps a TON in bf1. 2 threads in BF1 wont really work but 4 works fine. If so you can buy a cheaper H110/B150 board as you dont need a bios update to run it on the older boards. Kaby lake wont run on most b150 boards without updating the bios first hence the b250 in the build I placed.

Its a decent option but that path has no upgrade options late on down the line. The more modern system will allow a CPU upgrade in a few years as well as a GPU upgrade with the 450w psu.

G4560 is about equal to a i5 2400 for gaming

When upgrading it's usually better to sell the old system as a unit and buying a new one. The high end CPU of a socket is often worth a price premium since everyone wants to upgrade, and the CPU you're trying to get rid of is worth nothing. I'd take the savings and bank it against a future system rather than spend money to shackle yourself to a narrow upgrade window.

The i9 is using the same socket, no? The i7s and i5s should definitely dip then. But I see your point. Im still really torn on which way to go.