So when do you reckon the display of the gods shall rise again? Her superior colors, black levels...

So when do you reckon the display of the gods shall rise again? Her superior colors, black levels, and response times are much missed as we've been chained to the oppressive yoke of monitors and TVs with awful contrast and smear trails everywhere.

>when will the 10kg heating tubes be used again?
about when horse carriages will replace cars again.

Reminder that CRTs
- also have blur because of the phosphor
- have shit colors and geometry problems
- flicker
- CRT TVs make a high pitched noise

>blur
>shit color
Underage leave

Except the high pitched normally inaudible noise, you're wrong

MY EYES. THEY BURN.

dems heavy sonsofguns.

literally never. oled monitors have just as good black levels. The only time CRTs look better is when you're playing retro games on them

>10kg
usually they are 30 or more.

Fix your hearing aid, gramps.

>black levels
This is a stupid meme, and the picture you posted is proof of this. Far from all CRTs had good black levels.
>superior colors
Now we're really memeing.

>normally inaudible noise
Get your hearing checked. You can even hear it in some movies that feature CRTs.

when will rotary phones replace cellphones again?
when will chamber pots replace toilets again?
when will we start putting lead back into makeup and paint again?

Never.

Our closest hope was SED, but that died in the lab. Despite the claim that it only died because LCD took dominance and no one wanted to compete, it really died because it had crippling flaws that caused rapid deterioration.

We're going to be stuck with LCD for at least another 10 years.

>We're going to be stuck with LCD
But OLED is clearly the superior product at the moment?

Click EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeee

I enjoy them but they're also heavy as fuck which makes them really hard to deal with.

We can only hope the pixel density meme keeps going until LCDs can effectively use non native resolutions.

OLED is pretty fucking awesome, I have a 4k oled monitor and a laptop with a 1080p oled screen, both look fucking amazing. Perfect blacks, colour (the monitor actually has way too many colour settings, but once you get it right its perfect), nice refresh rate (120hz) and neither have stuck or dead pixels. Whereas every single LCD I've gotten either comes with dead pixels, or they start popping up like wildfire after a year or so

>using tvs as monitors
no

whats the best CRT i can get for under $300
>must be capable of 720p
>must be capable of 200hz+ at any lower resolution
>no display lag
or is that impossible to get at that price

holy shit senpai I could tell my family was up when the noise started, man good times

Not sure, but you'd definately be looking at 20"+ PC monitors. Look for a maximum horizontal refresh of 125kHz+ to be able to run 800x600@200Hz.

Avoid HDTV CRTs, as they have substantial input lag and try to upscale low resolution content. They blend frames to make motion appear smoother (and achieve their "200/240 Hz"); their maximum input refresh is usually only 60Hz.

It all depends on what the highest resolution you need to run 200Hz is. Most PC monitors are capable of 720p, and all have no display lag.

This board will often demonstrate how little its users know about old technology, but in this thread it's very visible.

CRT computer monitors are a completely different beast compared to conventional TVs. The last generation of monitors were particularly good, notably the cheap Chinese monitors that Dell were bundling with their machines in the early 2000s. The bigger widescreen Sony Trinitrons are practically unbeatable in terms of image quality.

CRTs might make a comeback as a niche product and continue to grow, sorta like vinyl records, but don't count on it.

>overall worse colors simply because of the technology
>black levels: read above
>oh fuck i really need these 3 milliseconds
I'd rather use a plasma than that shit.

I had a Sony Trinitron and it looked like ass. You couldn't even read the smaller letters on the screen

t. too young to remember a crt at all.
I don't think we'll see boutique manufacturers of CRTs, it's literally a dead tech
your gamecube hooked up to the basement tv with a composite cable isn't the same

Let's see..
record players:
>le ebin retro xDD
>simple ancient technology, cheap to produce

CRT:
>nerd shit
>complicated as fuck, expensive to produce

Nah it was actually HDTV hooked up via SCART

i had that exact tv, it fucking sucked

>t. too young to remember a crt at all.

When canon's SED patent expires

OLED+DISPLAYPORT+FREEYNC+AMD+VULKAN+WAYLAND+120HZ

Nice BVM, muh niggah

Sadly just a PVM. They're rare here though, and people who have BVMs want too much for them.

Well something must have been wrong. I have a Trinitron connected up via RGB SCART and the definition is very good. Of course it depends on the size of the text, and don't forget the limitation of standard definition resolution

Ah, which model?

Not an L5, so it hardly even matters..

But it's a PVM-20L4.

>tfw only got a consumer Trinitron
>tfw didn't even die from shock when I opened it

OLED fixes the shortcomings of modern flatscreen displays, CRT is now completely obsolete.

Can we make them flat?

>OLED fixes the shortcomings of modern flatscreen displays

while inheriting the burn in issues from crts and early lcds

Digital signal handshake still introduces the small delay CRTs don't have to deal with.
Also, no raster display can do variying resolutions better. Some old game consoles can run games in weird streched resolutions you can't display right anywhere else.

SED is shit, why use CRT technology if you don't have the variable resolutions? That's like half the idea.

>black levels

Fuck those things. Oh yea I want a TV that sticks out into the room. Oh yea I want to be hauling a 60kg television.

>superior black levels

Dude, the fuckin' TV is off and I can see the screen is gray, not black. Some god tier.

I remember feeling the static on the screens. Anyone else remember the weird static smell they made?

Yes, and thinking about it is making me cringe for some reason.

only thing i remember about my crt is the colors being so black that i literally couldnt play silent hill 3 on max gamma.
And yes i knew how to lighen the screen up in both game and on monitor, and everything was barely visible in the flashlight.
I remember that it infuriated me at the moment but i guess i could use it to play some horror games now.
However it was really nice for low resolutions, but i think it was a shitty crt - LG 775n

I really appreciate CRTs, but geometry problems are real and the latest OLEDs make them looks like potato.

You're comparing a technology that hasn't seen development in 15 years to a modern piece of equipment, and you can still only come up with one flaw.

>120Hz 4k screen
Please tell me where

Dude, that's a pc Trinitron.
We're comparing a technology that was developed to the edge of physics and had no room to improve to something that's barely been scratched, and the only remaining strong points are no input lag and resolution flexibility.
I like my tubes too but they're not the best of the best anymore. Just get over it.