When?

when?

Other urls found in this thread:

mprat.org/Terminus/
youtube.com/watch?v=yBI5tsa1inY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

never

the Linux ecosystem needs strong leadership to accomplish the following:
>Develop an operating system with a unified and centralized set of standards so that it "just works" for the end user
>get the word out: viral marketing, aggressive advertisements, whatever it takes.
>this one's crucial: needs to be able to make deals with many, many manufacturers to start preinstalling their OS instead of Windows, and for stores to sell these computers.

never with current state of gazillion distros

I hope never. I don't want to be in common bag with dipshits.

Soon

When somebody make DE with nice UX and good looking.
(Like google android)

Why? Are you afraid that if you use something that's "mainstream", you won't be such a special little snowflake anymore? Is so much of your self-identity tied up in being a "special" Linux user?

Linux is pretty much standardized. You can pick up any debian or Red Hat based distro and expect to find the underworkings are the same. In modern distros like fedora and ubuntu things just werk already. The last part I give you. Manufactures need to preinstall Linux in a big way.

As soon as ms office stops mangling libre office documents

The reasons why linux is so good are the same reasons why a "year of linux desktop" will never happen the issue is users lacking the wetware to operate a linux system.

Nao.

Oh, okay. So you're one of those people that believe that making something more complicated than necessary somehow makes them more intelligent than the people who devote less time and effort to achieve the same outcome. Got it.

I don't want to be 'special.' Being hip and trendy is my definition of special. This 'year of the desktop' bullshit is just getting on my nerves. I know that Sup Forums is just a shitposting central and all threats are mostly baits and 'discussions' here are mostly meaningless rants about nothing but most of social life is just shit and yielding to some dipshit who happens to yell his mouth noisier than the other, so I decided to stuck in this cesspool voluntarily just to see fucked up people are.

What are you talking about?

see:
>the issue is users lacking the wetware to operate a linux system

I interpret that as saying Linux is only good if it's intentionally too complex for the average person to operate.

Linux was never really developed for mom and pop desktop users. It's like asking why doesn't everyone drive a Tesla yet.

I heard opinion than is the philosophy problem.
Something like in Windows it goes from action to understanding and in Linux it goes from understanding to action

Sorry for my bad English

Cause Tesla is not enough useful

Computing is a difficult processes to begin with Linux systems just don't obfuscate this fact by limiting user freedom and control to make it "easier".

Chrome OS

RedStar is GOAT

MacOs clone for literal communists

see:

(Insert shitty analogy here)

So what? Reverse engineer the DE and put it to good use

For the school I'm working in Linux desktop might become a reality the next year. A couple of my colleagues and I are thinking about uninstalling Windows from all computers in our school and installing Ubuntu or Edubuntu. The computers in our school are quite old, then paying for Windows 10 licenses would be overkill and would arguably make computers even buggier than they are now. Linux Desktop has always been a great solution for people caring about productivity, freedom and safety instead of games and advanced entertainment. Every year is a Linux Desktop Year.

The thing is while it may make simple tasks easier but as soon as you want to preform a non standardized task it immediately becomes exponentially more difficult to do so if not completely impossible.

>desktop
not using the glorious Linux console?

plebs.

You are doing a favor to those kids user

I know, right? Since when I first installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I've been more and more persuaded that Ubuntu allows student to work on pc in a safe environment. Also Windows has caused our computers to run way too slow. Ubuntu is quite light, so it should work well on the computers of our school.

lxde or xfce will be great for lightweight computing

openbox with a panel if you want maximum performance gains

You better have scripting courses for those kids, I remember when DOS was around and I learned how to install Doom and thought it was magic, never met anything like that until I dig the Ubuntu machines in my uni. Ubuntu is so friendly these days that getting to power user won't come natural.

>it "just works" for the end user
Linux Mint does this pretty well

> lxde
> xfce
>openbox open panel
Sorry, but I'm maybe too new to Linux world to know the meaning of those things. Wouldn't Ubuntu 16.04 LTS work well on school computers straight out of the box?

We have a computer for each class, but only teachers use them, then we have a whole class room containing around 30 computers to make students work on them. We mean to teach students do very basic stuff like browsing the web, writing presentations/docs (LibreOffice should be more than sufficient for that purpose), and using medias like videos or music. I don't really suppose that we'll need to use the Linux terminal to do more complex operations.

Android looks disgusting by default. Need to rice it to make it good.

you are such a little faggot lol. we don't want to be associated with the vast majority of tech illiterates like you, getting wannacry every five minutes. you guys are targets.

Android looks great not even ricing it.

Linux looks like shit even riced.

Linux is a kernel, Android looks ugly by default, and you'reare gay

what are you comparing Linux to? Windows? LOL that inconsistent ugly mess? If you are comparing it to anything other than macOS (shitty OS but at least it looks nice) then unironically kys

Don't worry about words like lxde, xfce or openbox. Start by browsing the software center for words like "education", "math", "kids". A few applications to give you a taste for what there is:
Klavaro, a touch typing application.
FreeMind; mind mapping.
Anki, flashcards.
Scratch, fun way to learn coding for kids.
GNU Solfege and LenMus are ear Training software.
GraphMonkey is a graphing calculator.
Celestia and Stellarium are astronomy applications.
Marble is a virtual globe application.

As for learning the command line, is my recommendation to introduce the kids to skills they definitely can help them. And to prove my point that is not really that hard check this site mprat.org/Terminus/
Is a game where you type and learn.

I already knew some apps you mentioned, but thank you for the rest, I'm grateful to you. The problem with learning to code isn't its supposed difficulty, but it's more a matter of time: I'm sure that you need at least a couple of dedicated IC hours to teach kids even the basics of coding. I'm not working in a specialized/technology school, I'm working in a middle school, where students' timetables are dedicated to learn basic subjects like maths, natural sciences, music, art, grammar ecc.ecc.

When people can somewhat agree on some unified standards, programs aren't randomly dropped by their maintainers (without notice), and freetards accept that not everything propreitary is evil and filled with spyware.

The problem with Linux is (I know this sounds bad) TOO MUCH CHOICE. Few things ever reach full maturity and get maintained in the Linux ecosystem.

I see, same problem I had

Even under these circumstances I deem Ubuntu to be a good choice over Windows. Ubuntu 16.04 is very easy to use for basic stuff and needs, like the ones we need at our school.

The problem with free software is that at the end of the day nobody wants to do the boring, mind-numbing shit, like maintenance, for free.

Exactly. Only the purely autistic or goodwilled are willing to go that and even then they get tired of it.

I reckon you don't use Ubuntu

I reckon you don't understand that Ubuntu is developed and maintained by Canonical Ltd.

By people that have Jobs and are paid to do so.
I have no problem with Ubuntu, but my current shitbook laptop needs something lighter and more simple, like Arch.

Lubuntu is lighter, a Devuan netinstall even more, maybe that helps

I appreciate the recommends, but I have already tweaked this desktop to my exact liking. If it shits the bed I will probably take a look at those.

the desktop is dying, so maybe you should aim for year of linux on the smartphone, or linux on the tablet. oh wait, android.

Reminds me of what happened at my high school before, but unfortunately the people managing the installs were, well...
>Pentium III, 20GB HDD + 256/512MB RAM
>GNOME 3
>Firefox
>The computer club boasts about having "boot up times under 70 seconds"
>Students give it a try
>Find it the slowest shit in the school due to all the other computers being purchased ~3-4 years ago

And that is how, Sup Forums, Linux became the most hated operating system at a certain shitty high school.

happened a long time ago. ever heard of chromebooks?

Ubuntu fits all except aggressive ads.

underrated

No there are many parts that are not just werk.
As a normie who play games (CSGO, !osu, Neptunia), with gaymer gear nothing works out of the box on linux.
Want to turn off mouse acceleration? Ofcourse just go to mouse settings, but theres nothing here, go google, make some startup script because setting somehow would reset every time.
Want to get 144hz? Ok just open dysplay settings and set it to 144hz, there is no such a thing, go google, and even after you change it to 144hz, games detect only 60, all window animations are 60, only mouse is 144.
Want to play games?its easy just install vine, install simple 2d game, tonns of errors, somehow it installed, and even run! run like shit.
Install CSGO from steam, performance is shit, alt+tab to desktop, alt+tab back to game, resolution is fucked, game now in windowed mode with 10:5 aspect ratio.

I know you can fix all of this so it works fine, but i tried many distros, and never had "just werks out of the box".
Maybe if your only purpose of using PC is work, then linux have ok out of the box experiance, but for normies its pain to use it.

Everything just werks on my Ubuntu gaming rig. CSGO runs fine apparently:
youtube.com/watch?v=yBI5tsa1inY

The only problem you'd have on linux are drivers. Nvidia has great drivers, but the default ones are shit. AMD abandoned driver support for most GPUs because they switched to amdgpu pro, but this does support any serious gaming card anyway and the performance is great.

I never understood the mouse acceleration meme, can you show me exactly what the problem is?

Wine will always run worse than native. But that doesn't mean it will run terribly. Tons of steam games run on wine just fine.

Hopefully never.

Everything a normalfag touches it turns to shit.
Look how Sup Forumsedditor manchildren on Sup Forums are excited about stupid gimmicks like snap and appimage that don't even work half the time
>Zoom g its like windos but free!111

Obligatory link to "why linux is not ready for desktop"

I'll start with the fact that RHEL backports huge amount of patches into their kernel while it still reports older versions, so third-party software (like dpdk drivers) that depends on specific kernel mechanisms breaks on rhel while works on debian and vice versa.

Or how Fedora runs Wayland by default which breaks compatibility with insane amount of existing software.

Or how we have multiple GUI toolkits that follow different HIGs and use different languages.

Linux is nowhere near being standardized.

when a company starts to make computers with Linux pre-installed

Companies have been selling computers with pre-installed Linux for almost a decade now if not longer

People usually buy those because they're cheaper than the ones with Windows pre-installed and just install pirated Windows on it

>Linux is pretty much standardized. You can pick up any debian or Red Hat based distro and
see that both use different software packaging format so you can't ship one package that works on both distros