/Friendly Unix General/

Hello Sup Forums ! This thread is to discuss all things UNIX

Real UNIX systems such as AIX, HPUX, macOS, Solaris:

>opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

(For a List of UNIX® Certified Products)

PS: For quasi-unix / spin-off systems like GNU/Linux refer to the GNU/Linux thread, thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
repo.or.cz/w/grimoire-witchcraft.git
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of Unix (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Use clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Please stop spamming GNU/Linux material in a Unix thread.

At least use a high quality screenshot, OP.

Reminder that a FreeBSD fork of sorcery exists repo.or.cz/w/grimoire-witchcraft.git

>Advanced users of Unix

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Unix, is in fact, UNIX®. Unix is not a GPL operating system , but rather a registered trademark of The Open Group, the certifying body for the UNIX trademark. It publishes the Single UNIX Specification technical standard, which extends the POSIX standards.

Many computer users run a modified version of the UNIX® system every day, without realizing it (including GNU/Linux users, a system defined by POSIX). Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of UNIX® which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically a "free" UNIX® clone, All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of UNIX® clone.

>be unix
>don't follow the philosophy
What's the point, Apple just rips off free shit to sell at extreme prices to endless herds of hungry goyim.

It runs on FreeBSD, in case you hate the Linux kernel so much.

your image quality is just as shit as OP's

is this the power of the MacBook? lmao

>UNIX® Certified Product
this thread is shit.
the only good unix are the ones that arent certified.

Awesome. Now all 2 (two) of the smgl users forcing this meme can shut up about their stupid package manger with its outdated "grimoire" of build scripts.

Still not UNIX

this.
unix is cucked...

bsd/mit licenses are communist
why even provide dev work if they just make money off you?

atleast the gpl protects my contributions for future generations to utilize freely and its protected from corporations unless they contribute back upstream

derailing this thread with a serious post. disregarding illumos' driver support, what does /fug/ think about openindiana? the packaging situation is rough, and clearly not oriented towards the desktop situation, but it is stable, which is more than even some GNU/Linux distros can say.

A lot of the benefits of fBSD, but it's less well known in the desktop world so that means you get a bigger epeen. probably not as good a desktop solution as trueOS, though.

what window managers are available for it right now? I think if it has window maker or mwm, I'll be okay.

Hi, /fug/.

I've been thinking I was just watching this Apple presentation when Steve Jobs introduced MachOS.

Well, it's a bit patronizing, but he makes a really good point about what, if I remember correctly, he calls a "floors", which he basically ascribes Apples success in the consumer market to, and it's pretty relevant to the state of GNU/Linux right now; what he means is basically that developers prefer if an OS has certain libraries, tools, "floors" that can allow developers to start programming at a higher level of sophistry--and thus make more sophisticated software--than on a platform whose fundamental constituents are unclear and stratified. Like, for example, multiple init systems, DEs, and packaging. Well, the state of enterprise-level distros is pretty much homogeneous what with GNOME and systemD, so what I basically think is that this is, while harmful in some respects, ultimately, probably good for the Linux desktop, because it means less thinking--less politics--for developers.

Your post might receive more attention if you just started your own thread. Although you pose a great question, it's a bit off-topic, not many people lurk Unix generals anyways.

>why even provide dev work if they just make money off you?
In case this post is not satire, nothing prevents individuals or corporations from profiting off of GPL software without contributing anything to the original author(s), this is very common yet people still make this mistake for some reason.

You can always install pkgsrc if the native package manager doesn't have what you're looking for. Joyent even has public binary package repos for Illumos as well so you don't have to build yourself.

>UNIX
>Literally means "eunuch"
UNIX-based systems are literally for emasculated homos.

I've realized the games I play (mostly WoW and Euro Truck Simulator) work on Linux and thus I'm thinking of building a new system to play with just Linux. Any general tips? I've read that I should stick to NVIDIA cards and likely use a non-bleeding edge distro

wtf i hate unix now

We don't use Linux, but all of those games are already fully playable on a Unix environment, see MacOS.

>there are people who actually give a shit about the unix certification and trademark

fug

UNIX isn't Unix. Mac OS X isn't Unix.

And what are you going to do with that "UNIX"? Build a heavily loaded server to handle bucketload of requests to a database server or a supercomputer may be? "Just drag and drop the file into Applications folder".

macOS is a UNIX® Certified Product

go shill somewhere else GNUfag... your OS is quasi-UNIX® a spin-off / rip-off

Mac OS X is UNIX. BSD is Unix.

macOS is a UNIX® Certified Product

BSD is not a UNIX® Certified Product

From freebsd.org website

>The BSD operating systems are [...] open source derivatives of AT&T's Research UNIX® operating system

>[...] in a copyright sense BSD is very definitely not UNIX®

Unix CLI tools suck dick compared to the equivalent GNU ones.

>Unix CLI tools suck dick compared to the equivalent GNU ones.
Please go back to your GNU/Linux thread
UNIX® is a serious OS for production
GNU/Linux is for "hackers" tinkering and web servers

>/Apple Shill General/
GNU/Linux is more Unix-like than OS X, which is a giant mixture of FreeBSD, NeXTSTEP, some GNU components, and the original Mac OS system. GNU is a free and open source userland, and Linux is a custom kernel that Linus Torvalds agreed to open source. Together they make a fantastic Unix alternative that's widely used for servers, embedded devices, super computers, and even space stations (AKA things that actually matter). OS X is run on shitty dual core craptops by pretentious college kids.

Sage.

Literaly literaly literaly go fuck yourself you literal homo

Dude lmao post true povah if teh thinkpad pro neckbear edition™ scrshot

Fuck off

Which is exactly why he said BSD is Unix, not UNIX.

XNU is also an open source kernel.

I never said it wasn't open source, faggot. I said that OS X is not Unix. Do you know that XNU means? It means X is Not Unix, you homo.

>macOS
>the only unix that you cannot run on unauthorized hardware without committing a crime

Also
>macOS
>the only unix that is actually a hybrid kernel

>I never said it wasn't open source, faggot
I never said you didn't.
>I said that OS X is not Unix. Do you know that XNU means? It means X is Not Unix, you homo
It is UNIX though. GNU also stands for Ganoo's Not Unix but there are multiple UNIX certified Linux distros.

It's not Unix, retard. Posix compliance does not mean something is Unix. IIRC certain Windows 7 versions had partial Posix compliance. It doesn't mean shit.

>It's not Unix, retard
I never said it was, dumbass. I said it was UNIX.

Do any of you even know the significance of UNIX and POSIX certification or do you just think they're really cool nerd things and you want to argue having them in something?

The only difference is spelling. Do you know what Unix is, dumbfuck?

Unix is the family of operating systems, UNIX is a trademarked term that can be used on any OS that passes SUS certification.

Unix, or UNIX, is an operating system. The term you're looking for is Unix-like.

I have no idea why i like macOS. I just do. I don't even have Apple hardware, i run a hackintosh and like it a lot.

Still have no explanation for why.

The Open Group owns the term UNIX. They get to decide what it's used for, not you.

Like I said, the name means nothing. Fuck yourself.

Again, I never said otherwise.
>Fuck yourself
Wanna help, bby?

it all makes sense

Then stop making shill threads, faggot. OS X is a piece of shit made for the same basic bitches that visit starbucks daily.

hahaa fug

Not sure if this is the right place
I'm trying to install numix-frost, but I get this error

error /home/myuser/Desktop/Downloads/Numix-Frost-master/src/toolkits/gtk-3.20/scss/_widgets.scss (Line 1: File to import not found or unreadable: functions.

I've never made a shill thread.

t. someone who never used mavericks nor Sierra

Poo in the loo.

You're wrong, you fucking nigger.