m.youtube.com/watch?v=DmpGaC9dK24
m.youtube.com/watch?v=m31sVyHT9s4
rgbthink.com
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/09/lenovo-releases-leather-bound-thinkpad/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anything but thinkpad fucking hate thinkpads just buy tablet or some shit

>it will not cost $5000
D R O P P E D :^)

that keyboard looks lower than the x220 keyboard, doesnt it?

Yeah it will cost even more

Are you mentally challenged?

rude, thats not the same perspective as op

>aimed at enthusiasts
Into the trash it goes.
The only reason people buy thinkpads is because they are good and dirty cheap once corporate is done

I still have some hope, but knowing lolnovos recent development, they'll probably fuck it up.
I mean look at the teaser picture. That does not look like a clamshell design, but it rather looks like it has the shitty just-like-apple wristcutters at the front.
And limited? Dick move!
Assuming it seems promising, I have to get it fast, because it will be outsold quickly and raise to W700ds prices used, without having extensive reviews. So I either might buy a turd or miss the only laptop worth getting since the last 10 years. Dammned if you do, dammed if you dont.

Also, I wonder if they did not fuck it up anyways, with their shit timing. I wonder who is in the same boat as me:
>have used thinkpad
>its great!
>starts to show its age
>need a new one
>all new shit is me
>retro announced!
>cool, I'll just holdout a few months more and say fuck it and buy that thing new
>Where is it?
>OK, I'll wait a bit more
>some more
>fuck, that X61 ain't cutting it anymore in 2016, so I have to get a new one
>buy a cheap, used one again
>fuck, they are as bad as Sup Forums says (though still better than the crap at bestbuy, but only in so much as
>sheep shit is better than dog shit)
>Not sure if I really wan't to pay full price for the shit lenovo is producing

>x61 isn't cutting it anymore in 2017
>not using an x60
>not using an x200
>not using x220

Yeah, sure, you CAN use all of the ones you listed, but some of us have jobs and want certain comforts and simply can't afford (as in time used) to constantly swap parts and tinker around and use minimal ricing WMs on their main machine.

But yeah, at some point I might finally cave in and get me the X62 or use my X61 as a "typewriter" to get away from the shitty X1 keyboard.

>no lid latch
>real thinkpad

Pick one, Lenovo.

Those lid latches are shit. When they broke you can't properly close your laptop and the one on my x60 has way to much give and allows the lid to be oped slightly.

PLEEASE PLEASE QUAD CORE! Come on Lenovo you can do it.

Tfw I'm not going to be able to afford this

You don't have to use a minimal wm on an x220

>X220 for notes
>dual xeon workstation for "work"

that solution is probably cheaper then a new decent new laptop

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DmpGaC9dK24

m.youtube.com/watch?v=m31sVyHT9s4

Nice hair, fag.

All I want is a good keyboard, a 4:3 panel with good colors/contrast/angles, and physical mouse buttons both above and below the touch pad.

Thinkpad fans will want the clamshell latch and for the entire unit to be its original thickness, but honestly I don't care about that. The thickness of old laptops was because of cooling and extra drive bays which included HDDs and an optical drive. ULV i5 and i7 chips on a properly designed laptop means that the elaborate cooling isn't needed, and large capacity SSDs mean you don't really need an HDD. I'm sure the laptop will have a premium price, so it should have a 1tb SSD and a higher end i7 U chip (not a HQ chip). If Lenovo goes for an HQ chip then yeah I guess you'll need the better cooling, but since this isn't a ridiculous gaming laptop I doubt they will do that.

it's fucking nothing

It will not come even close to T60p comfyness levels

Good think I didnt sink $ into upgrading my T61...

Can't wait to see this, hopefully they do not fuck up.

>and large capacity SSDs mean you don't really need an HDD
Don't tell me what I do and don't need. I'd much rather have extra drive bays than have a super thin laptop.

Calling it now, thinkpad autists like
will hate the retro thinkpad and it will only sell to a small subset of hipsters who consider themselves too unique to buy a macbook.

will get if:
-- old keyboard
-- ethernet
-- thinklight
-- trackpoint
-- no touchpad / reasonable sized one
-- not backlit keyboard
-- not touchscreen
-- (no camera)
-- built quality

I also want status lights and physical wifi switch

a kill switch on the webcam would be nice too

glad I held off

Awesome

might actually buy this if it has the old keyboard

Yes, I agree, with the switches being real kill switches, that make it physically impossible to power the camera/wifi/bluetooth whatever.

Oh and a mic kill switch if it includes a mic.

specs revealed in ~5h
rgbthink.com

Looks like BS

it's been up for days
it would be a real coincidence

Lovely work on that website. Doesn't look like bullshit at all.

>I just bought a new laptop and then this comes out

It sounds like it's aimed at enthusiasts or fans, so I hope it isn't just a limited run. I'm broke rn.

>look whois information
>not owned by lenovo

Yup, seems totally legit.

It will use Kaby Lake's i7 7770HQ wifh Iris Pro Graphics with 128MB L4

No dedicated graphics this time guys.

data-end="June 21, 2017 21:34:28"

what is that in lenovo time

I can't wait to buy a used one in 2025

wrong

kys

>It’s aimed at enthusiasts and superfans that were kind enough to share their thoughts about what the laptop might be.

This is the huge problem here. It's basically going to be a Thinkpad minus the large community since we won't see large numbers produced or a typical enterprise backing.

What made thinkpads great was the huge afteramrket communities that popped up for models. With low availability this won't be possible.

Last time Lelnovo tried to do a limited edition no one really cared.
People don't want a limited edition retro meme
They want good features to return to the laptop line that has been heading in the wrong direction for years

If the retro sells well enough lenovo will no doubt start to return to classic features

I think this is just a test to see if consumers will put their money where their mouth is. If this does well we will probably see at the very least the classic keyboard on the next T series

damn

What if it gets a Zen chip?

too early isn't it

its not 5000 but 4999.99 8/9cent

BIG DIFFERENCE

go be a stupid faggot somewhere else

make me, bitch

>I'll be a stupid faggot right here thanks
I see.

The fuck is going on. Thinkpads are memes, just like trump was supposed to be a meme over on Sup Forums.
Sup Forums dont let your board become that, you stop it now

Trump is 4EVER faggot.
ThinkPad. ThinkTrump. ThinkDifferent.

Too late for that because we already made our own retro thinkpads as well.

Site's up.

WTF is this!?!

Is this even associated with Lenovo or is this some fan site?

>click on "Guide", "Board", and "Shop"
>Coming Soon
WHY DID YOU BOTHER AT ALL

Wow! It's fucking nothing!

Makes laptops great again

>thinklight
thinklight probably won't make it

Memes shape reality in 2017.

>-- old keyboard
Most probably
>-- ethernet
Also very likely
>-- thinklight
Probably not
>-- trackpoint
Of course
>-- no touchpad / reasonable sized one
No, yes. Thinkpads have among the smallest touchpads in the market
>-- not backlit keyboard
It will probably be backlighted
>-- not touchscreen
Maybe there will be a touchscreen version, but everything points to no
>-- (no camera)
Probably not
>-- built quality
Probably the same or sightly better than the modern thinkpads

>fuck, they are as bad as Sup Forums says (though still better than the crap at bestbuy, but only in so much as
>sheep shit is better than dog shit)

improve your greentext skills.

You made me bite your bait.
Fuck you.
Here's your stupid (You) you wanted so hard.
Now fuck off back to where you came from.

If it comes with libreboot, would be amazing

>If this does well we will probably see at the very least the classic keyboard on the next T series
you're a bit optimistic

this is a niche market they're going for. They're even calling it "retro" which it really isn't unless you consider good design retro which is most certainly the case with modern throwaway hardware

I doubt they're going to start changing the main line unless this sees mass enterprise contracts

Don't forget that the shitpad is mainly an enterprise line

you're entirely delusional if you think that is within the realm of possibility. Don't even think it's possible with modern hardware

They certainly could provide the specification and free drivers for much of the hardware allowing coreboot to run without proprietary blobs. It would be a fantastic step.

Libre won't happen since Lenovo can't remove IME themselves.

Texas Lenovo

I like you.

If it has all of the following features I will buy it
>thinklight
>changeable bootup screen
>old style keyboard
>ethernet
>dock support
>open hardware/specs
>extended battery support
>lid latches

bro, this is a company, not a hippie commune.
no one releases open hardware.

Then im not buying it lel

enjoy your five year old tablet cpus, then.

That is literally everything I want in a thinkpad aswell, I like you,

Any idea what the screen size is? If it's 12" I'll buy the shit out of it.

what model is this

>no thinklight
it's in the x230 which wasn't ages ago. infact I think that series was the only one with the possibility of a backlit keyboard AND a thinklight, which I would love.

Who honestly uses ThinkLight anyway?
I get what they are trying to do but it just doesn't work in practice. Backlit or nothing IMO.

>>all new shit is me
aren't all of the 4xx series ME?

There are rumours that it will be somewhat based to heavily based on the T470/T480 which is 14" and 16:9
I also briefly looked at something on Reddit saying that Lenovo had placed an order for screens from a company in Singapore which makes weird aspect ration screens as well as 16:9

>quarter is over next week
>schools don't start till next quarter
>quick, hype up that fake retro thinkpad idea we used to boost stock prices multiple times again

Welp, guess it's time for an x62

I'd wait and see
It's almost impossible to get a 16:9 screen built nowadays without the panel costing hundreds of dollars to be built, but quite a few devices are coming out with 3:2 so we could see the new thinkpad with a 3:2 screen

My current laptop's 3:2, I want a 4:3 one. I'm going to wait, but it sounds like I'm going to be getting an x62

what model is this? never seen one like that

Here are my biggest fears:

>BGA design for GPU and CPU
Inherently bad for longevity. Solder always needs to be reflowed or reballed after a few years. I have never had this issue with socketed processors. I have preference to a dedicated GPU module allowing it to be swapped out whether it's a proprietary design or not is irrelevant, as long as the connection means can have an adapter to connect external GPU or devices.
>Lack of features
Please bring back quick hotswap bays and smartcard reader. Also want M.2 AND mSATA connections
>Batteries
If you're going to do an internal battery, make it removable and allow something else to take it's space. Internal battery can be useful for those of us that carry around multiple charged batteries and swap them out for a charged one. Not having to power down the laptop to change battery is an AMAZING feature that many would take for granted. Also bring back the battery slice and make the battery slice in 6 cell and 9 cell variant or better yet just make it so the slice can connect normal batteries to it.
>screen
Make it versatile. Make a bezel compensation accessory for 4:3 screens, 16:9 screens and 16:10 screens.

>bezel compensation
what's that accessory?

It's their last anniversary thinkpad they did, called the reserve edition or something
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/09/lenovo-releases-leather-bound-thinkpad/
essentially its a standard X60, but with leather exterior.

If they use the innards of the current ones - fine.
Saves the money of designing a limited run PCB, and whats inside is not exactly what is wrong with thinkpads (unless you are one of the folks that want a 100+W TDP, 100-min battery life monster) and using new components to make stuff lighter and smaller is perfectly reasonable (as was done with every new generation of thinkpads), as long as you don't fucking overdo it (as they probably will…).
There is no reason to build a 5cm/5kg monster in 2017, but there is also no sane reason to built a .5cm/.5kg piece of "lol, you wanna work on that? hahahahahahahahahahaha. We are 100% starbuckshowoff now!"

>solder needs to be reflowed in a few years

That's the biggest bullshit I've read in /tpg/

Got some laptops at work with soldered cpus working almost 24/7 for years and the failure rate is the same as with socketed ones

I dont know about every possible solder, but wasnt there a whole "genereation" of BGA that failed after a relatively short time, due to some changes in the allowed lead content in solder?
The new, lead free (or low lead? Too lazy to look up the WEEE or whatever it is called regulation) solder was quite shitty at first, since no one knew ho to get them to work as good as the old ones, but maybe current lead free solder is quite robust again, since they got the chem to work.

you have small enter on your x220 I have big enter how so?