ITT: Obsolete devices with amazing industrial design you wish you could get with modern specs/internals

ITT: Obsolete devices with amazing industrial design you wish you could get with modern specs/internals.

>USB Drive
>Obsolete
Shit thread op

Give me this with a 2736x1824 screen like the surface pro and let the screen fold back around into tablet mode.

>1.0 GB

>1GB
>Not obsolete
Yes technically it will function, but so will a floppy drive.

It's obsolete because that model with its glorious smooth metal casing was only ever available in sizes up to 2GB.

You know the finish doesn't actually make it any more durable, right? Whatever stress would crush some shitty $1 usb would break that too

A fucking USB?

So what?

Smooth metal casing? That's what does it for you? Wow.

I've still got a Cruzer Titanium 2gb on my desk right now, works fine for me if I need to move files in a pinch.

he didnt mention anything about durability, he only talked about design

But it looks pretty. Just like my Macbook.

How is this in any way special for an industrially designed device? Looks like a fucking typical USB stick to me.

It's sexy as fuck, dude.

Case was real titanium. It was heavy and cold and gave the impression of quality.

>slide button
Literally the worst design a usb could have

Core2Duo processors

Don't know if it counts as "industrial design" but basically they have no IME.

best design*

It prevents dust and scratches. Also the clicky sound is pretty satisfying.

Buy a metal USB stick then.

Muh metal = quality is marketing bullshit though, there is pretty much never a case where this will be better than a well-designed plastics case.

Intellimouse 1.1 with nonshitty parts and without squeaking

Not when you have to hold the slider to stop the usb retracting when inserting it, especially when you are trying to do it at awkward angles or under desks

There are credit cards out there that are made of metal. You pay a premium to have one.

Here, found a piece with more metal than is necessary easily. As always, China has metal fetishists covered.

And of course, many more exist.

>viao
>Sad anything about it is not with us anymore

kys cunt you can just get any ultraportable that is designed the same if not better than that.

Or, if you're an interesting customer, they'll give you one free, because its like a $2 piece of metal.

I'm sure they'll charge up to $arbitrary_nonsense for the privilege of you being able to show that you're "rich".

Yet, plastic will generally be superior as a choice for a credit card. What do you get from the metal, scratch more objects and accidentally poke your GF's eye harder or something?

>What do you get from the metal, scratch more objects and accidentally poke your GF's eye harder or something?
You get to feel like your dick is larger than the waiter's when you hand him a heavy credit card. That's about it.

This one is my favorite, still use it despite being only 4 gb.

>GF's eye
well, apparently you get a GF, so thats something 98% of Sup Forums would be interested in.

The short version of that is really handy, actually. The carabiner-thing lets you keep it on your keychain conveniently.

There is no problem in letting the people who need to know you have money know when it matters, and in most other situations it's honestly more chill and easy if they don't.

If you see it that way, I guess so?

All right, I guess a hook has a legitimate use, and for the loop metal is probably superior to plastic.

Anyhow, you can get metal. Not hard.

>stop liking what I don't like
Can you just go back to >>>/facebook/
I fucking hate summer

You mean if you need to move them... In a FLASH?

>you mean you should go back to Lol upvoted my man

I think it would be super awesome if the plastic protective casing around a floppy disk had survived until this day. Scratched disks are an abomination

Buy a new one and transplant the guts

Eh, you were able to get cartridged optical or magnetic storage media all along. You just never bothered to, apparently.

>so will a floppy drive

Are there even motherboards produced with non-serial anymore?

Good industrial design should minimize moving parts, not add pointless ones.

Had one of those. Astoundingly easy to break. Very cheap plastic.
I always look for flash drives now with either no moving parts or the kind with a large slide over it, not fixed to the port (no force on it from plugging in) so less likely to break, and if it does, I can still use it.
I had to superglue my cruzer open.

TN panels
Applel products
USB2.0
RGB gaymur shit
Soundcards
All of these to be trashed.

Underrated design would be automatic God Tier if and only if it had better battery life, a better keyboard, and ran only Linux distros.

I just want a EeePC with current generation specs. Am I asking too much?

>Industrial design
>Adds unnecessary moving parts
Sure thing, kiddo

That sounds horrible, but with enough effort you could make it happen.

chromeos is a linux distro :^)

ITT: children who don't respect just how much data a fucking gigabyte actually is

Tell that to a 1080p movie.

>2017
>watching movies
nice meme

obligatory

replaced by memebook pro clones

I always thought this was such an aesthetic case, I just wish you could build a modern PC in it without having to mod the fuck out of it

I hope Apple goes all out with the next Mac Pro, I want 8 pcie slots on a backplane.

There will never be a console which looks as good and will have as many great games as this did, gaming was actually good during PS1-2 times

But how secure is the flash drive if it's going to be dangling on keys in pocket at least 6 hours a day?

a combination of general idiocy and having compatibility with audio CDs (which were never going to have cartridges) stopped cartridge-held disc media from taking off
which is a right shame

the real dumb thing is that DVD didn't do it by default, but again, combined CD/DVD players killed that idea
good luck finding DVD-RAM media lol, shit was hard even ten years ago, let alone now

Fuck you faggot. I moved Stalker Lost alpha with my 512mb usb stick. I need to do 47 parts of that motherfucker

>he doesn't know that installing chromiumOS is basically installing gentoo
user, I...

you have to be 18 to post here

What do you mean? It can't come off the keychain by itself and the metal casing keeps it from being damaged. I keep a microUSB converter stick stuck in the port opening so it doesn't collect any dust.

found a terabyte one of these in the parking lot at uni one time, clearly got run over, still worked fine

This post is evidence of Sup Forums's secret Macbook fetish

I laughed.

damn where can I buy this

>one post of 60 million
nice job faget

I have one of these uselessly sitting on my floor because I can't bear to get rid of it. I LOVE the look of this case. The thing weighs a ton though, relatively.

hahah someone printed a 3d save button!

Fuck why do I want one of these so bad.

I'm not a Macfag but fuck those cases look good.

Absolute eternal beast, this thing had like 32MB of RAM, a 333MHz CPU and ran games that still looks amazing, better than most shitty mobile ganes of today. Great fucking battery life and build quality. Still looks sexy af, also I still find Sony's UI very modern on that thing.

Reminder that this device is 12 years old already, great travel companion when I was a kid. Played a lot of Monster Hunter. Shit is nostalgic

what the FUCK is wrong with you?

I think you mean the slim.

poor taste

>be an industrial designer
>people still don't know what we do
>keep charging $200/h
I got into the right profession.

This! Best fucking mouse ever.

Still have my GO. Took some steps back, but I love how satisfying the sliding mechanism is. I wish more technology sliding out.

Just take it apart and replace the guts with modern equivalent. I did that with my swiss army USB knife. Of course they want $80 for a 8GB upgrade swap-in.

Fuck that. I just took a minimalized 64GB USB drive and transplanted it.

Normies need to stop being so fucking afraid of buttons.

Wish I could but the metal case has press-fit tabs that break off.

this would be amazing.

that one mini white laptop someone post it please

>bruh what the fuck is that shit? thats probably from 2004 and doesnt even run imessanger. fuck that.

that kind of design has faded away and is a thing of the past. kids want the "pwofessional" look of the apple but it to still be simple enough for their normalfag minds to comprehend so that they can peck & hunt type and still feel like they are with the times and the trends

Fuck I'm crying now

You child will never understand the engineering glory that is sonys vaio line. Most thinkpads are crap compared to their lineup from their glory days.

If you believe it's a terabyte, I hope you like corrupted files

I'd buy a modern version of this in a heartbeat.

What model is that?

It hurts so much.

>obsolete
It's like two years old.

That's why it hurts. Blackberry dropped development of the OS, there are no good mainstream apps on the BB store, Android integration works in many cases, but many apps are utterly broken.

Best phone for business I ever used. Had an iPhone before that and am now using a HTC 10 (all company issued). But holy shit did I love the Classic and the flexibility the keyboard gave me.

Not Mac specific, but I miss transparent tech

>tfw only use my phone for communication so the Passport is perfect for me and every Android app I have used works flawlessly
The Passport, Classic, and P'9983 are the last smartphones I will ever use unless either Android stops being shit and a BlackBerry supports that version or BlackBerry brings back BB10OS.

Check out this transparent-backed S8.

Well that mac isn't transparent. So its not related at all.

Modern transparent tech is hideous, EMI shields all over ruin what makes it great

Looks like an X220? X230 has the same chassis too, but chiclet keyboard.

looks like an X201