The one program chaining you to Windows

ITT: the one program that keeps you from abandoning windows entirely.
Also ITT: help others find workable alternatives to their program of choice.

gaymurs need not respond.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O6hKk-0dzKA
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18689
playonlinux.com/en/app-2011-Foobar2000.html
literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php
userbase.kde.org/KSysGuard
help.gnome.org/users/gnome-system-monitor/3.22/
github.com/mate-desktop/mate-system-monitor
github.com/brndnmtthws/conky
alternativeto.net/software/bibisco/
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10436
amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-PAU06-300Mbps-Adapter/dp/B00JDVRCI0/
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap
wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Multipage
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=17&sClass=application
youtube.com/watch?v=qq9Kjr6f6rU
jamesudiljak.com/blog/jekyll/update/2016/09/07/eq10q.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

League of Legends

THIS D E S U

Post IGN.

>Tuxguitar
Or be a real man and use a real scorewriter like MuseScore.

Guitar Pro is cross-platform.

Fuck off subhumans.
Last time I tried that, and it was years ago, it was really buggy and shitty. Is it any better now?

>the one program that keeps you
One? Please, I don't use linux because I don't like using shitty FOSS bootleg garbage

>it was really buggy and shitty. Is it any better now
it's a linux hack job, I think you know the answer to that

For what do you need guitar pro?

Windows.

Not OP, but I started using it as a teenager and so I use it for legacy tabs that I wrote out. Not sure what else to switch to that would properly convert a bunch of GP5 files.

>For what do you need guitar pro?
GP tablature is often much better than text versions on UGT.
Also helps me learn by ear better.
Here is your (You). Go away now.

Please work in Wine ;_;

FL Studio and a myriad of games.

Better question would be what's one program linux has that would trump windows programs enough to let you ignore linux's glaring flaws and bugs and switch.

paint

Wine/Paint or, the better option: Pinta.

Uh, none

>better option
>foss garbage

In my opinion you should start using notes. It is a easier then to understand harmony etc. Also better for you if you gonna go playin on jam sessions

Valve hammer editor AKA worldcraft
There isn't any proper replacement for this software either :(

Foobar 2000

Okay, I now I understand what your use case is. I think TuxPaint would fit your needs perfectly. Here's an example: youtube.com/watch?v=O6hKk-0dzKA

works perfectly under wine.
>but WINE is autistic and requires me to type in the scary black box!
playonlinux.com/en/app-2011-Foobar2000.html

>works perfectly
>ugly title bar and shit font rendering
>perfectly

Task Manager

Scrivener. It's amazing software for writing and structuring. I'm using it for writing a screenplay and I can't really find any alternative for it.

literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

Nothing op

Freedos for msdos loaders (hdd/gpu/ssd hardware flashing and muh dos games)

ReactOS for w95-ws2001 (muh games and legacy drivers for utility devices that dont go online)

Wine for vista-8.1 games and hardware that needs to be modified first on windows to flash foss firmware.

I've managed to phase out work related programs so everything I use day to day is on Linux now.

The other devices aren't connected to the net and are phsyically isolated.

Unreal Engine 4.

Proof?
Every single DE has one of these.
userbase.kde.org/KSysGuard
help.gnome.org/users/gnome-system-monitor/3.22/
github.com/mate-desktop/mate-system-monitor
there are even ones for X
github.com/brndnmtthws/conky
>Unreal Engine 4.

I started getting interested in learning about trading but was disappointed to find out that all the terminals are only for windows. So I started playing around with the idea of writing my own. The code I've written for it so far is an ugly mess of hacks on top of hacks but it's just a proof of concept that shows if I can do it, and it looks like I may be able to. Here's a screenshot.

Almost every WinShit piece of crap program has Apple and Mac OS ports/versions and alternatives, try harder

The engine can run in Linux but the suite doesn't.

alternativeto.net/software/bibisco/ maybe?

>Proof?

There a few but most of it is wondershare pdfelement and sharex havent find something close to it in Linux

Tried it, but it feels too much like a stencil sheet where you defer organization and development to the software, whereas Scrivener gives you a lot more freedom and control over the organization and development of your project.

Also, biblisco doesn't support screenwriting, sadly.

I wasted my time for you. It works fine. Install with PlayOnLinux if you want it to be streamlined.

>I wasted my time for you.
Sorry -- thank you. I'll install Stretch this weekend thanks to you. :3

>The one program chaining you to Windows
>Screenshot of it running in OS X
N-nani?!?

I grabbed it from Google Images.

The undeniable quintessential. More specifically, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and After Effects.

DirectX

retards

Explain.

Sorry but DX11 doesn't work in wine

Aren't there FOSS Guitar Pro alternatives?

>gaymurs need not respond.
fag

that's the spirit. Nothing better than writing something useful while learning

GP6 works under wine perfect.

I said gaymurs need not apply. that is obviously the greatest obstacle to abandoning windows completely.

What does Adobe software have to do with gaming other than game development?

FLStudio 12 (and all the included plugins) runs without issues in Wine, I use it daily. A lot of third party VSTs are compatible as well. I've yet to find something that won't run, although other people might've had a different experience.

>the vast majority of programs here have an os x version or alternative
>os x is actually decent
install hackintosh already

osx is nonfree software

The reason the boxes are there in the album titles is because I didn't bother configuring for Japanese characters. I'm sure you can do it.
I replied to the wrong person.

Windows itself is really the only thing chaining me to Windows. Linux is just too much hacks and configuration hassle in order to even get a fucking wifi adapter to work.

use quodlibet, its better

t. former foobarfag

off topic, but what API do you use for your stocks?

sudo apt-get install wine

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10436

Not reliable at all

You can't use Wine or PlayOnLinux with Foss?

That's how I use Photoshop.

When is the Unreal Engine 4 editor coming to Linux?

Welcome to Linux, user.

>stocks
None.
It's not stocks. I found a forex broker that will let you download forex data as csv.

ah, nvm then.

Thanks anyways.

>Photoshop
Krita and/or Gimp

>illustrator
Inkscape

>is just too much hacks and configuration hassle
Depends on what distro you choose. Solus for example is probably the easiest to use distro I have found. Even moreso than Ubuntu.
>in order to even get a fucking wifi adapter to work.
Assuming you're talking about a Broadcom NIC in a laptop? Yeah, it sucks, but there are several solutions. In some cases, just using the b43 drivers will work. In others, you can actually use the broadcom supplied drivers. Worst case scenario, you buy this amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-PAU06-300Mbps-Adapter/dp/B00JDVRCI0/ for $15 and never have wifi issues again, or you can replace the entire NIC.

I compiled and ran v4.15 and the editor a couple weeks ago.
It's not a cakewalk to get everything going, but it does run.

ETABS 2016

>GIMP
Many of the non-destructive features that make Photoshop great (filter/adjustment layers, layer effects, smart objects, high-end CMYK support, shape tool, etc.), GIMP isn't even expected to have for another couple of years according to their roadmap. The ability to select and move multiple layers, like Photoshop has had for years, isn't even on the roadmap.

wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

>Inkscape
Inkscape is designed specifically for SVG web graphics, but not for print or video.

Inkscape explicitly conforms to the SVG featureset (if SVG doesn't support it, Inkscape can't do it); Illustrator on the other hand, while it supports SVG nicely, is not limited by what features the format supports, so they have the freedom to add as many features as possible.

Support for multiple artboards/pages in one document (pic related) is a key example that I've wanted, but Inkscape devs said they can't support it because even though it was a proposed part of SVG 1.2, it was dropped from SVG 2.0 so they can't do it.

wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Multipage

>conveniently ignoring Krita

I haven't been able to use Krita that much. It was practically unusable on Windows thanks to a bug. I would try to paint something and it would freeze and not update until I minimized and restored the window.

I just hope it has a modicum of the non-destructive features Photoshop has that GIMP is missing.

Yeah, I got nothing. You're stuck if you have to use this.

CS6 runs on Wine.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?iId=17&sClass=application

You're not subscribing to their online-only cloud thing are you?

I wish 3ds Max was on Linux. :(

unironically world of warcraft in the current year

>I haven't been able to use Krita that much.
Well go boot a liveCD and try it out. I think it's much better than GIMP.

CS6 doesn't support artboards (multiple canvases) like CC, a feature that has been revolutionary in my workflow.

youtube.com/watch?v=qq9Kjr6f6rU

Not Windows, but Logic Pro X keeps me on macOS

No CUDA support for GPGPU acceleration.

I'm a Mayafag. I wish I had put the time into Blender instead.

Visio fml

Visual studio

Neither Krita or Gimp are even remotely close to as good as Photoshop. Inkscape is closer to Illustrator but still a very long ways behind.

that's how nu-guitar players learn songs :^)

visual studio

I wish they would either provide repos for package managers, or bring the Epic Games Launcher to Linux for painless updating.

Linux isn't worth making any sacrifices for. Linux programs have to be better than the Windows/OS X alternatives and they're not. Basically everything runs on OS X anyways so it's objectively superior.

Are you implying that there are no reasons to use GNU/Linux other than software catalog?

Equalizer APO. AFAIK there's no way to do system-wide parametric audio equalization with a ton of available bands in Linux. I know there's LADSPA parametric EQs one can run system-wide but none of them have enough bands.

MadVR, because NGU AA is significantly better than any mpv upscalers.

In what way are Krita and Gimp inferior to Photoshop?

And yes, I've used all three. Gimp is not as smooth as PS. But Krita isn't bad.

Works in WINE

ITT: Retards have not heard about VMs

Rufus.

Literally every single Linux bootable USB maker has at one point failed to boot, on anything from older machines to brand new builds.

Rufus just werks.

If I'm just going to run it in a Windows container with reduced stability and no access to Linux APIs, then why wouldn't I just stay on Windows where it runs natively?

jamesudiljak.com/blog/jekyll/update/2016/09/07/eq10q.html