Hey Sup Forums, i have a question for you. i live in a studio apartment and want some nice home audio...

hey Sup Forums, i have a question for you. i live in a studio apartment and want some nice home audio, an upgrade from my shitty $75 sound bar. any suggestions? post yer setups if you don't

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00CFOX420/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1498109113&sr=1-1&keywords=hs5
noaudiophile.com/Micca_PB42x/
polkaudio.com/products/rtia3
parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702
parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-speaker-kit-pair-with-knock-down-cabinets--300-7128
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a $400 soundbar

what's your budget? how thick are the walls? do you want accurate or loud? neutral or bassy?

i want to feel like i am swimming in joanna newsom's harp, not like the music is only coming from the corner of my apt
$500
the walls are thin
accurate, not loud
neutral, not bassy

This, but unironically. Sonos makes a $700 soundbar that is really, really nice.

Or go get some Klipsch tower speakers and any receiver.

two of these would be $400 and should do you well. you'll need a y splitter and mini stereo plugs

amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00CFOX420/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1498109113&sr=1-1&keywords=hs5

>>$500
>the walls are thin
>accurate, not loud
>neutral, not bassy
it'd be a lot easier to do this with headphones, instead of speakers

Second this. You can't turn your music up loud enough to appreciate it. Get some headphones.

Even if he doesn't care at all about loudness like he says, he can get much higher-quality sound from $500 headphones than from $500 speakers.

The best answer is Micca PB42x if give you two shits about price.
Review at noaudiophile.com/Micca_PB42x/ also has other good recommendations.
Thank me later.

Oh, trow in a subwoofer of course

>subwoofer
>apartment
>thin walls
he'll have neighbors banging on his door and complaining to the landlord within 15 minutes

Doesn't need a huge one, with small bookshelf speaker like those a basic subwoofer would make a lot of difference.

sonos shit is super annoying to use if it's only for a single room

they look pretty good, thanks- added to the shortlist
oh, ok. this is maybe a better idea, but i can't really do this with a record player- i also like to have music on while i am cooking. are those mdr-7506s my best bet?
awesome. i'll just thank you right now. thanks user
i'll take a look around- i think i would try without a subwoofer first and then see if i wanted one
you are right about this

I've been a DIY audiophool for nearly 20 years. The last thing you want in an apartment is a dedicated subwoofer. Even a decent set of speakers with 6.5" woofers can be satisfying enough to not need a sub, but still be loud enough to piss off the neighbors. Since max volume is limited to "being respectful" levels anyway, you can boost the low end on 6.5" woofers for a fuller sound without exceding XMAX. My personal preference is a sealed speaker with custom Linkwitz Transform circuit.

word, thanks for coming into the thread. great info

>The last thing you want in an apartment is a dedicated subwoofer

i am an apartment cuck. and YES he needs a dedicated sub

sounbars are the worst meme since hitler

OP should get a $50 2.1 setup by creative

>subwoofer
>$50 2.1 setup by creative
pick one

OLDER CREATIVE 2.1'S had a dedicated sub. these days they dont anymore

You're right about the cuck part. Soundbars are for faggots; I didn't endorse the use of one.

2.1 systems with small main speakers sound like fucking trash. The small speakers require the "sub" to xover in the 200-400Hz range which causes boomy vocals and shit tier imaging.

A quality set of 6.5" 2-ways and a decent center channel can sound better than you think.

if you live in an apartment, anything beyond a cheap soundbar or pair of bookshelves are a mistake, invest in decent wired/wireless headphones if you're alone or make do with the cheap shit if you're a normie, people who live in apartments and annoy all their neighours with their stereos piss me off.

Where is horn loaded these days

>2.1 without a dedicated sub

That's not 2.1 m8

I shopped around and picked up a pair of these for $245 including delivery (newegg):
- polkaudio.com/products/rtia3

While these are not audioautist over-the-top-end, they put out some very, very sweet sound that fill a 20 x 30 foot room. You have to make the effort to play around with positioning to avoid that "coming from the corner of my apt" effect. I prefer excellent reproduction and warm sound over loud, and I don't require bowel-shaking bass. But, 6.5" woofer still puts out damned decent bass, unless you're into club & rap. These break in fantastically after about 50 hours, and I love them more and more each day.

Goodwill & other thrift shops often sell older amps cheap. I got an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII for $15. This amp is one reason why the sound is nice and warm. Slightly scuffed, and I opened it up and cleaned it out, but otherwise near-factory. I listen to a very broad range of music, a lot of rock and jazz and folk, mixed with world ethnic, anime soundtracks and some harder stuff like Within Temptation (just happen to have that on right now, so that's why that example).

Same Goodwill, a 10 foot audio cable with 3.5 mm jack on one end and a pair of RCA on the other for direct computer-to-amp connection. Something like 12 gauge wire. Fucking THICC. $1.

Newegg cable sale, two 50 foot spools of 14 gauge speaker wire for $8 each, delivered.

Running it off a true sine wave UPS, the same that my computer monitors run off, an 850 VA Cyberpower. $75 on sale. Well worth it since it took out an annoying hum that was either my house wiring or a grounding problem wih my computer.

So, total of about $350. If you want to stretch your budget, you could get two pairs and be right at $600-ish.

You can keep your soundbar on the system as a center channel, using your soundcard to manage & balance the configuration..

>$245

$245 for 2 sissy speakers

op ignore this cuck and get a creative 2.1 for $50

Ignore this faggot. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Better sound than a sub and less boomy. One for the diy crowd and not so much apartment dwellers except the japanese are pretty into them and make them with a minimum of power tools.

pic not so related

Get one of these kits and feel like a fucking man for once in your life. Kids these days don't know the feeling of building something yourself...

parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-speaker-kit-pair-with-knock-down-cabinets--300-7128

Pair them with a TPA3116 amplifier and you'll be one satisfied dude.

What's the advantage to horn over other speaker designs?

spl/sensitivity and directivity, obviously with a lot of downsides as well

There is zero benefit to horn loading for home listening, but for PA it's a different matter.