/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kFEl9Ysu3LI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First in for 42mm Men's watches have never been uncommon or thought of as too large since men's watches have been fabricated

true fact

fuck off ninefag

First for sexiest Seiko currently produced outside the GS line

not even close

niiiiiiiiiiiiineballlllll

don't be glib niiiiiineballllllll

what's better in the seiko diver line outside GS?

How do i measure gain/loss per day of a watch? sorry i'm kinda new to this.

how hard would it be to brush the bracelet of this thing and make it matte with light brushmarks?

>note the time of the watch in relation to a benchmark (atomic time)
>wait 24 hours
>see how much it deviated

Well in your first post you didn't say diver, now you did.

But if you want a diver specifically, you have that new 62mas remake with unfinished GS movement.

Look at time.gov

If yesterday you were 2 seconds ahead, and now you're 4 seconds ahead, you gained 2 seconds.

Or use wildspectra app to see possible gain/loss based on different positions.

>How do i measure gain/loss per day of a watch? sorry i'm kinda new to this.
You either buy a watch timegrapher for a few hundred dollars and adjust it that way

or you just zero you watch with a $10 casio then check how much your watch is off at the same time every day for awhile and adjust it like that, the second way takes longer but is just as good for the average person

>tfw regulating your Rolex with a casio

>Well in your first post you didn't say diver, now you did.
i said sexy, sexy means diver

I don't want an automatic, I want a reliable watch I can take off for 3 days that will still tell me the correct time when i get back

liquid solar powered sex

Just buy it user, instead of posting multiple pics about it here. Surely a quartz seiko can't be that expensive.

youtu.be/kFEl9Ysu3LI

Another shit watch that looks like all the other.
Congratulations on your completely mediocre taste.

>Just buy it user, instead of posting multiple pics about it here. Surely a quartz seiko can't be that expensive.

I just like looking at it and posting it here, don't need to buy it

if the polesmokers who post those ugly green alpine seikos every day, and that faggot with his grandpas gold rolex can spam his shit every day and ever neet can sperg his russian watch with cartoon tanks on it every day

you can look at my sexy seiko

I don't hate that watch, but I have never liked the Tuna shroud, I think it's weird and pretentious looking

and I don't see how it looks orders of magnituded better than the SNE437

It seems that this particular zenith might be pre 1920s

if it were in good working order it would be worth maybe $200

don't spend too much on it

How long does it takes for a dial to age and have patina?
Thinking of changing the black strap of my omega to a more casual strap, any recommendations?

Depends on how it's [ab]used, or probably the environment it's in. There are 40+ year old watches with a dial that still looks perfect.

>no lume

well yeah

I have seen watches from 1880 that look brand new, just gold and enamel though

It doesn't, he just has shit taste.

Not sure aging tritium lume counts as dial patina m8.

>Not sure aging tritium lume counts as dial patina m8.
well in my experience with rolexfags that's exactly what they mean by patina

Dial patina usually refers to the corrosion of the dial itself.

>Not sure aging tritium lume counts as dial patina m8.
an enamel dial won't really patina

any recs on watch winder/cases?

also known as oxidation or rust

that honestly just looks bad to me

What's the cheapest spring drive watch Seiko produces or produced?

Probably the landmaster, SBDB015. Last I checked it was around $2.5k new.

hey guys, how does this look on my wrist?

Damn, $1.5K over what I was hoping for.
Thanks user.

Too big.

is the spring drive reliable?

Is it on par with their solar or kinetic watches as far as longevity? Does it have to be serviced often?

im the guy arguing for big watches in the last thread

that thing is waaaaaaaayyy to big for you, and that crazy strap is not helping

There was never a spring drive that sold for $1k new as far as I know.

yeah, it's actually comically large on tiny gf's 5.5" wrist

I really don't know much about the inner workings of watches but there's something that's aesthetically pleasing even with moat movements.

This is the same pocket watch I posted in the previous thread and I've posted enough of these now. I find it cool how they are close to 100 years old, if not older.

It doesn't have to be serviced any more often than any other mechanical watch really. Pretty sure the manual will probably state somewhere between 5-10 years.

anyone have any experience with Kronen and Sohne? This watch looks pretty nice for the pricepoint but ive read some bad things online about them, specifically their longevity

seems like all the disadvantages of a mechanical without the advantages (low maintenance, months/years of reserve) of a quartz

but... have you seen that fucking second hand glide?

you can buy that shit all day long on ebay for under 100 dollars, american pocket watches of the late 1800s were mass produced and kept as mementos of relatives and of little value, just saying

>but... have you seen that fucking second hand glide?

no, is it that sweet?

Tbh i just need my watch to look ok and tell me what time it is and be rugged, little stuff like that is lost on me

honestly that's a pretty rough looking movement user, i know you just are starting in this but that's not even sexy

A lot of quartz watches these days are only low maintenance because the movement is completely disposable.

>no, is it that sweet?
yessir. i think i'm going to pick up one of the new ones without "seiko" on the dial this year.

Be sure to post your SBGA211 once you get it :^)

i was thinking of the 39mm with the solid caseback. i've come to terms with the lack of the display back.

This should give you an idea for how smooth the seconds hand on a spring drive is. Technically the accutron 214 moves in tiny steps, but it's indistinguishable to the naked eye.

>A lot of quartz watches these days are only low maintenance because the movement is completely disposable.

and last 15 years with 0 maintenance

*cough seiko 5 cough*

I like my watches to tick to be honest

did they make any versions of these that were not just unreadable hands over a bunch of watch guts?

that thing would be cute for 15 mins but it's not a practical daily watch, too hard to read

Yes, lots. It's really not that hard to read either.

that looks much better, the previous watch looks like something a 10 year old would get out of a gumball machine

The 214 is a marvel of engineering, but okay.

What are some quality minimalist watches on the 100-150$ range?

Might as well just go to the chink source and buy a fake for $2.

>quality

fucking disgusting

Are there any watches in the Seiko 5 series with a hacking movement?

They're out there, look for the 4R36 movement.

Sweet, thanks.

why does everyone and their dogs want to get / have a speedmaster?

it doesn't look that good

Because it's a MAN ON THE MOON FUCKERS.
Tbh i think it look plain, if i have that kind of money i would buy a El primero instead.

Because >muh moon

That is despite the accutron 214 being the lunar lander's instrument clock, and the instrument clock of numerous satellites. So marketing, I guess.

>accutron 214 being the lunar lander's instrument clock
Maybe an instrument PANEL clock, as I don't think it was any way connected to the AGC or anything.

Yea, it was in the control panel.

What's the point of this hobby?

What's the point of any hobby or interest user? The answer is that taking a nihilistic view is the wrong way to look at things.

It requires zero effort, even less than stamps or coins. Perfect for the lazy NEET of Sup Forums, you just order ancient some junker or a Hirohito Special, take a pic of it on your bitch/fat wrist and you're done.

>"I appreciate the intricacies and craftsmanship of a mechanical watch"
>buys a rep

i am going to buy a bulova for my dad and mom. wish me luck

I don't own any reps, but I don't see why having one would diminish your appreciation or enjoyment of it so long as it's well made.

Avoid their new shit unless it's mechanical, their vintage stuff is much nicer. Also, be aware that vintage Accutrons are a bitch to service.

>rep
>well made movement
Oh boy, I hope I have enough smug anime girls for this one.

You can get reps with ETAs and whatnot.

ETA clones, there's a difference.

>So my Aventador is a rep, but it's built from an MR2. That's still a good car, right? Right?
I wish the Holocaust would happen for real this time, only with rep owners.

No, I mean actual ETA movements.

>I have no response, so I'll just shitpost

>paying ETA money for a fake
At this point your could have bought a 6r15 Seiko and be proud.

Reps are like Robert Downey Junior's platform shoes. As in they make you a ridiculous tool and everyone is laughing at you.

Literally rebranded chinkshit.

I wouldn't buy one, I'm just letting you know your argument is shit.

My argument is flawless, rep apologist.

>Aventador is a rep, but it's built from an MR2

Sup bro, check out my ferrari testarossa :^)

Fantastic retort.
>rep apologist
Sorry, didn't know your worshiped horologic temple.

Any artwork of watches having sex with each other?

I still haven't found any.

W800h arrived today. The life of a wristlet is tough. Fits fine irl. Looks a bit big on camera but I assure you the lugs are in line with my wrist.

Just ordered one of these last night, it's my first watch in multiple years. How is it so far?

Nice, user. You really can't go wrong. The light is much better than my previous w59 and its functional too. Bigger dial font is welcome too.

I've finally done it, lads.

Boner alert

nice! whats inside?

That is fucking sexy man nice choice!

Gud shit m8. Now take a pic of the movement.