/tpg/ - ThinkPad General thread

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6440) and T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Original-IBM-Lenovo-Keyboard-X220-X220i-X220-Tablet-X220i-Tablet-/321101946296
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/361989012247?_mwBanner=1
lewd.pics/irc
slickdeals.net/f/10271552-hp-pavilion-15-au062nr-laptop-intel-core-i5-6200u-15-6-1080p-led-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-backlit-keyboard-win-10-379-99-free-store-pickup-staples?src=catpagev2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2570p

I want to replace a stock ANSI keyboard with an ISO one on the x220, any advice? Aren't there compatibility issues?

No. Both got same connector on the motherboard.

I SHALL INSTALL GENTOO

install CloverOS®

Are x200 still usable in 2017? I want to get one for using it as a portable linux machine for web browsing and watching anime.
I'm wondering if browsing the internet with core 2 duo is still alright considering all websites are bloated with js and whatnot.

engaging maximum comfy mode

how well does CloverOS run on an X220?

Yes, as long as the battery is in good condition.
avoid x200s series, as the c2d ulv trash is hard to use.

I tried to find a part number but I haven't managed to. Can you provide me with a number/eBay link? Thanks

ebay.com/itm/Original-IBM-Lenovo-Keyboard-X220-X220i-X220-Tablet-X220i-Tablet-/321101946296

Fuck that gay shit.

Nevermind, apparently it's the UK layout

was referring to this:
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/361989012247?_mwBanner=1

Drivers!!
So i got a old Thinkpad T61.
I go over to the Lenovo website to check the drivers and i cant find the model...
I then check for my Thinkpad X201 and again no drivers.

Where have they moved the drivers and support for the older models to?

They talk about a Lenovo EOL site that has all the old models and drivers, any of you guys know where to find it?

thanks for the help

I wouldn't buy it. notice the different color of some keys. So this is a combined keyboard with some other one, probably different layout.
Also
>UK layout
nope

install Zorin

No response in last thread so I'll repost...

So, I want to buy a x200 Motherboard, install it into my x201 chassis, and then install Libreboot onto that. I know that swapping the motherboards is easy, but I'm uncertain about the Libreboot flashing procedure... I have a device with gpio pin output/input, but I wouldn't mind someone to walk me through it and hold my hand... Anyone here know of this process and willing to help me out, or know anyone/anywhere that could help and hold my hand?

Join my IRC and chat me up, thanks a ton!!

lewd.pics/irc

>So, I want to buy a x200 Motherboard, install it into my x201 chassis
for what purpose?

So I don't have to buy a whole 'nother computer to flash libreboot to. i've done a number of modifications to my x201 already and I can get a motherboard for a x200 rather cheap.

Why do you want to use libreboot? Ever heard of ME cleaner?

Hello /tpg/
I've posted about this before but not gotten much in the way of answers that weren't just picking at my motivation.

I'm looking for a 13-14 inch laptop that has the following properties in order of most to least important to replace my X230 as it is surplus to requirements in some ways and unsatisfactory in others.

=1440x900 (can't stand my claustrophobic 1366x768 anymore.
display of good quality (no colour inversion whatsoever, glossy is ok. colour accuracy not a huge concern.)
thinner bezels
USB 3.0
CPU before core-i series for no botnet (yes, this and the prior are mutually exclusive)

I don't care about CPU speed, it's going to be running Manjaro and BSPWM and be for lightweight development, bringing to lectures and webbrowsing when I'm not at my desk. Currently my X230 is jack of all trades, master of none and when I get my desktop back I won't need the processing power any more (although the screen is IPS which I know is something I'd lose.)

What I really want is an X301, but the displays are pretty bad. Secondarily is something like a T400s but it could be thinner. X200s has a lot of benefits but is hard to find and I want to go to a bigger display, T420s has bigger bezels so more wasted space and I have no need for a strong processor, and the retrofittable better panels are hard to find. X61s would be cool but it's CCFL and I'd have to get an 1.8" adapter.

Are there any interesting Sony Vaio or Dell latitude models I'm missing that satisfy my requirements for small dimensions but sturdy design without the dumb compromises in display quality Lenovo made from 2009-2013 and with good keyboards? Cheers.

so such thing.

no such thing*
ffs
Remove the last requirement and you'll get a qt nice laptop

I want to use a device that is completely free of proprietary software, what is ME Cleaner?

the pre-2011 requirement is the least important but I kind of want it for the comfyness.

2570p. Here, also have pic related. Enjoy

>display of good quality (no color inversion whatsoever)
not this time, huelel fudgepacker shill

Still installing this shit. Fuck this will take all night + 12h to compile with Pentium 4M

Are you using windows? Dude stop. Don't do it. Just install gentoo

T400 keyboard had what looked like a cola spill from previous owner. Went at it with some alcohol for an hour and it's as good as new.
Ultrabay eject switch is still stuck no matter what I try, any ideas on what to do for that?

You know, 2570p user, people know you're full of shit when you respond to anything with your shitpad.

27mm thick, heavy, 12.5", 1366x768 screen with terrible viewing angles... pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in every way if you actually read my post.

Fuck this
I start all over again.

How does the x61 tablets note taking hold up in 2017? I can get one for cheap and return my surface pro.

Does anybody here have a librebooted X200?

Benn thinking about grabbing one and doing it myself

I think I broke one of my arrow key caps while trying to remove the keyboard?

Looks like one of the bits that clicks in and secures it to the keyboard is missing.

I'm not getting a new keyboard just for that, would glue damage any part?

pls respond, it's my first cumpad.

Werk on progress on mah gentoo

>this shity quality
Monkey.

What can I say, its a 6 years old smartphone camera and low light situation. You get the point across.

avoid the alps and the chicony. get the nmb.

otherwise you might as well use a chiclet.

I got an update from the seller who shipped me a w530 missing 8GB of RAM (was supposed to be 16GB), an extra battery and charger. Here is his response.

Giving that I paid $370 for this and what he's offering to send me, should I accept his offer or return?

I think you should accept his offer.

Sounds very good, accept his deal and if he doesn't ship you the stuff then you cuck him via a RMS or something.

Have you removed a bolt nearby? It has an icon that looks like the Ultrabay. If you have, there should also be a slide lock that can be pushed up, try that too.

is there any way to replace a soldered CPU in any X2xx series ThinkPad? anybody tried this and if so, how hard is it to unsolder a CPU?

The seller's offer seems very reasonable, I'd take it.

I've asked this before but, for xx20 keyboards, which out of NMB and Chicony have the better keys and importantly also, which have the nicer trackpoint buttons that are silent yet tactile. My shitty E-series has amazing trackpoint buttons but the ones on my X230 feel cheap in comparison and it actually has a less satisfying keyboard.

NMB Is the best, according to

Here

Thanks for the responses. A friend of mine said I should return the laptop and get this instead:

slickdeals.net/f/10271552-hp-pavilion-15-au062nr-laptop-intel-core-i5-6200u-15-6-1080p-led-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-backlit-keyboard-win-10-379-99-free-store-pickup-staples?src=catpagev2

I kind of want to keep the laptop that got delivered to me already. Even though the W530 is from 2012, do you think it's worth keeping over the laptop that I just linked?

>pavilion
>U cpu
>probably soldered ram

pos of shit

Very, even though ULVs are designed for battery life all those batteries will give you enough juice to equal or maybe even surpass what that laptop has to give.
Besides
>Consumer trash Pavilion

Shit I'm retarded, what I meant is: keep the W530, that consumer trash is not worth it and you can get a backlit keyboard for the W530 so I don't see the point.

>tfw 13 hours of battery life on 6 cell t460 battery normal web browsing no videos brightness on 5 and maybe some spotify here and there

my x230 spends its life in my desk drawer. i sort of miss it from time to time

running an old X61, what should I upgrade too? Got a £800 budget.

all you can really upgrade is RAM and maximum is 4gb while the chipset can only make use of 3gb so yea
you can't really upgrade the screen
CPU is soldered
that is basically it

Well, I wasn't talking component upgrade, was talking new ThinkPad all together and let my son use this. So, what's a decent / the best ThinkPad I can get for about £800 / $1k USD

my god /tpg/...
I am trying out an Asus X540LA, jesus christ, I would rather be using a SL400c.

>This elitebook shilling on the OP
Am I going to have to make another video?

Thinkpad forum

Gigantic downgrade unless you want to bother fixing it up.
They can play sega saturn games good tho.

Thats a good deal user

Your friend is a fucking idiot.

>>This elitebook shilling on the OP
it's the GOAT

What's so great about a thinkpad?
I'm genuinely curious.

Keyboard, thinklight, ultrabay, good HMM, wiki(s), mods, part availability, build quality, build quality and durability. Did I mention build quality? Also that.

Any good sites I can buy thinkpads? Preferably those with cheaper thinkpads?

eBay, a local marketplace website, maybe some company if you're lucky and they're retiring their older hardware in favor of newer one...
Probably Craiglist if you live in a country where it's actually a thing; I live in beanerland and it barely gets any attentions, or is it like that in the US too?

what battery should I buy for my T420s?

T450s

Rechargable AA ones.

T430 I bought has the 1600x900 screen even though the seller listed it as 1366x768, it also has the nvidia chip when there was no mention of it either. Has the back lit keyboard too, which also wasn't mentioned.

It never ends.

If its anything like my t420 good luck if you want to use the DP in linux. Also the nvidia chip is crap and barely better than integrated.

yeah i didn't really want the nvidia chip, I've heard that it makes it harder to set up an egpu but oh well

Install Solus

who else (((solaris))) here?

No, I'll install LFS

does your friend eat paint chips?

For crying out loud. Does this look like grub2 installing? I sure as hell don't think so.

>avoid the alps and the chicony. get the nmb.
Everyone who knows the difference has different preferences. I'll take the Chicony over the others any day of the week.

The keyboard feels are all different each generation. The designs changed markedly for all three manufacturers between X4x, X6x and X2xx. For X6x, I like the Chicony best. For X4x and X20x, I like the Alps. The NMBs only register reliably if you hit them dead center, and are stupidly overcomplicated construction. As of the X220, NMB started using the Alps design.

Does X230 comes with USB 3.0 in all configurations?

>not getting 1050ti instead
shame

>implying only one person shills 2570p
you're wrong.
and I already responded here:
get x250 or newer

>Linux
No problem, can even run windows 7.
>browsing
Depend on what site you would be visiting.
Social media sites with web apps is a no.
>anime
720p is fine, 1080p will cause high temp and might stutter , HEVC is not possible.

unfriend your friend, he's probably a pedophile

I've had some success installing coreboot in a chromebook
Can it be installed in a bios locked thinkpad? Seems like a good way to shave some bux

Stop forcing people to get your shit.

T420 with 4 GB of RAM running Linux, Running lspci shows that I have 256M of vRAM for the iGPU.
Is this the maximum amount allowed?
How do I increase that?

Accept it
He doesn't sound bad

Done
Got Gentoo installed just in 10h. Now I have to get this usable which is another 9001hours

>consuer hp
It's like you hate you money
Tell your friend that he doesn't understand shit from computers

Hey I think it was 5 or 6 threads ago someone mentioned a dell latitude e6440, explain why I should or should not get that over an t440p.

Is there some advantage I'm missing because they all have the same specs and similar build quality right?

>dropping a workstation laptop that still outclasses every non quad core mobile cpu every made for budget retarded hp shit that STILL can't get it's drivers straight for the past forever
Tell your friend he's fucking retarded and he should stop giving people computer advice.

Extended one

Return it. I know it sounds crazy but that 768p screen is worth returning on its own. Or buy a new lid with a 900p screen.
Also you can just disable the dgpu from bios so it won't be much of an issue. The Nvidia gpu is a overheating sack of shit that can barely outperform integrated graphics

Yes
And it comes with two if I'm not mistaken

Thanks, I was confused since there weren't any blue ports.
Speaking of colored ports, is it true that the always-on USB port have low power supplying issue?

How buggy thinkpads USB 3.0 ports under GNU/Linux?

Wouldn't know
I disabled mine since it eats through your battery while off or asleep

It just werks

Even if you don't have anything connected?
On what kernel?
I have USB 3.0 expresscard on my T420 and it doesn't worth using.

Yes. Even if you don't have anything connected it's always on and slowly draining battery
Also I was talking about my built in ones on my T430. Sorry don't know how they behave over expresscard

Can I hook up a e-gpu to my w530?

yes
but only if you got 8GB RAM. 16GB or more causes 100% CPU usage when eGPU is connected.