Programming advice

Im a teen that is trying to get into programming as a head start for college. So far I love what I have done. I want to be both a game dev and a programmer in general for work when the time comes. Everytime I start learning again, I fall off the horse and take long breaks because I cant find efficient places to learn. Im learning c# but I cant follow youtube videos because they just teach you one thing, not how to actually use the methods they are teaching. I have yet to find a good website or websites to be able to learn and keep me coming. Id really appreciate some advice for successful programmers. Thanks my fellow friends.

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/gellydew/1176803d077da01898cb0ea6331a0a08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd suggest you start with a little project, let's say standard atuff: build a simple calculator. You learn about GUI, basic math operations, click handlers, maybe events, maybe attach a little sqlite database for storing history. Search and learn as you go.

>atuff
*stuff

There are a few books out there that teach you how to build small games in XNA step by step. This is literally what you're looking for.

Disregard any other shit advice on Sup Forums.

Im gonna take this to heart and start tomorrow on something like this. Before I stopped for a bit, I freestyled a dice roll program which I was pretty happy with.
gist.github.com/gellydew/1176803d077da01898cb0ea6331a0a08

>game dev
haha

>laughing at a job in an industry with estimated worth of 91.5 billion
haha

> never know how shitty is industry

>Im a teen
>>>/global/rules/2

>C#
Fuck off

Ever hear of eighTEEN nineTEEN? useless muck

when's the last time you've heard an 18 year old refer to themselves as a teen?

Yesterday

Op here. Just want this thread to be helpful and nice.

Here's the trick. You need to make your own projects. Do not fall into the trap of making huge projects. One, you'll never keep the motivation to finish it. Two, you'll not gain as much experience as starting a new project.
For example you might want to learn how to interface with a database. You might make a simple program which you can input and lookup data. You would not try to create a whole client to manage everything you would want to do for a database. If you did a project like that you'll be wasting that time which you could be using building something else.
Starting projects often also makes it so you aren't always looking at the shitty code you wrote when you were terrabad.
t. game prototyper

Videogames aren't easy cause it's not just about the code.
It's also about the audio, the graphics.
I'd start learning some programming first.
Maybe make some mods in Lua or something.

You can pay other people to do the Audio and graphics.
I'm not that great of a programmer or game dev yet but I suggest trying small projects at first and then working your way up to bigger and better projects. I learn best just trying to make something and consulting something like stack overflow if I need help. Watching YouTube videos or reading shit out of my text books does nothing for me.

I have never really understood what math has to do with programming. Have any of you used math formulas beyond 8th grade in something.

Programming is like learning a language. You try-fail-try-fail and then eventually accomplish something. Try love2d for games and python for everything else.

Some fields in programming heavily use math. Vidya programming is one of them. Knowledge in geometry and arithmetics really help.

Yeah but these formulas come before 8th grade. (At least in my country) I am talking about the absolute advance math that you need to learn in order to """"""program""""""

You just need basic maths to build games using an engine, but you need complex maths to actually build some of those game engines, especially if they have 3d physics.

Saying that I can think of multiple examples I've needed maths when programming such as:
>Creating a drunken sway effect on the camera for a vr game
>Ai for some enemies
>testing if you jump in real life using the accelerometer in your phone for an in game mechanic in a vr game
>using maths to always ensure a possible path for the player in an infinitely long randomized track with barriers

Shit like that all uses maths, the equations are usually held within functions but you need to know what the equations are for, what they do and when to use them.

Consider actually reading a book, rather than trying to learn from websites and youtube videos.

Doesn't this go more to the subject of physics? And if not can you give me an example? Thank you.
Sorry for being such a pain in the ass with the questions I really wish to know about the math in programming.

>Just want this thread to be helpful and nice.
[pictures_of_laughing_hyenas.png]