Old laptop

hi Sup Forumsuys

testing Lubuntu on an 11-year old laptop (Dell Latitude D620)
so far so good; browsing, rendering, and just even loading the start menu's way faster than my current Windows 10 setup

I remember reading somewhere that dual-booting Windows and Linux together's a no-no; is that true? if so what should I do about that? I like this distro

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
www74.zippyshare.com/v/dSpULQGy/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Windows 7

If you still have a reason to use Windows, go ahead and dual boot it. There's nothing wrong with dual booting, but why would you? Linux probably does everything you want on that computer better than windows would

Well it's a nono because non-free software.
Also if you want to go more minimal and lightweight get Ununtu minimal.

I left my copy at my dad's place
yeah I had plans for it already
fucking Windows 10, holy shit
aoiusdhfaw9iuopefdhnasdjkfvnasdiuofhawpeiufnasd

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
www74.zippyshare.com/v/dSpULQGy/file.html

Haven't tried this myself, but buntu fans might consider it for old hardware.

Get rid of Windows and explore Linux. I suppose this is not your primary machine so what do you have to lose? Windows 7 won't be supported soon anyway.

oh...
well...
uhh...
I am heading to my dad's in a few hours, but thanks so much

>Linux probably does everything you want on that computer better than windows would
I guess so
it's just an all-new learning curve for me that I'm not sure I can juggle my time with at the moment, with school and all. was thinking I'd need a fallback OS just in case I get too stuck on Linux
but yeah most of the time, when I'm on a computer, for sure I'll just be on the internet anyway

ooh, lightweight

it's a shame, really. I always thought Windows 7 was XP on steroids. love it to death

what distro do you use/

>There's nothing wrong with dual booting
I thought dual-booting the two OS's together would fuck up the system somehow
I know I screwed up the bootloader on my other old laptop
also nice dubs

I'm a CS student and I installed Arch just recently because I want to learn Linux inside out. But you should really install Lubuntu, Debian or whatever other user's suggest because you'll be frustrated if you use anything like Arch, Parabola or Gentoo. Those 3 are for complete autists like me.

>learning curve
It's not that different than windows. And it won't look at all different if you use xfce or lxde (since KDE is not an option on a laptop that old). There are a few distros worth taking a look if all you've known is windows:
>ZorinOS Lite
Uses xfce and looks nice. I'm currently using it myself. However, I get around 1.7/8.0GB RAM usage while browsing and your laptop probably has 1GB. So try live booting to see how it behaves. It also includes a way to use windows drivers for laptop onboard wifi in case Linux doesn't officially support your device.
>ChaletOS
It almost looks like Windows 7 so I guess it will do fine for you. It uses xfce DE which is very light.
>Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Linux Lite, LXLE
All also based on Ubuntu or Debian and all of them are light.
However, if you really want to use windows I'd recommend getting the Win10Lite instead of Windows 7. It excludes most bloatware. The installation size is only 4GB.

If I were you I'd get 2GB RAM since it's very difficult to get a modern OS working on less than that nowadays. Mostly because web browsers eat RAM. You won't have trouble doing anything else, even on windows.

If you need specific Windows-only software for school, I'd keep a Win 7 partition just in case. There are decent open source alternatives for almost everything, or it can run via WINE.

not to worry; I received this thing with 3GB in it
officially it's supposed to take in 2GB only, so Idk how it's working... but hey, it works

were you able to try all those distros yourself? which was the fastest?

>Gentoo
okay
what is it with "Install Gentoo" flying around this board all the time lol
is it any good?

I found Arch the less frustrating experience with linux distros. With Ubuntu, Debian and the likes I always found myself juggling to avoid problems, but Arch... it works by itself. Speedier and easier, I may be lucky, but never had the laptop so responsive.

yeah I really don't mind Windows 7 at all. I upgraded my other laptop to 10 since day one

fuck Windows 10 though, for real
damn

>which was the fastest?
They performed equally well. The only thing I didn't try was LXLE, but it's basically Lubuntu with different defaults and UI layout.
Gentoo is considered to be one of the most difficult Linux distributions to install and use daily (although ChromeOS is based on Gentoo and is very normie-friendly), because you have to compile it from source and compile all software from source, which is sometimes annoying and is time consuming. "Install Gentoo" is basically a meme flying around to get users to try installing gentoo, failing and then screaming around how Linux is difficult to use.
>is it any good
It's not too bad. Afterall, Google decided to base their laptop OS on it. But I'd never recommend using it if you haven't used Linux for at least several years. An easier approach would be installing Sabayon.

I feel like I just learned something I wasn't supposed to

well thanks for your input Sup Forumsents. smooth sailing to page 10 from here

the best thing to do is ubuntu network install with i3wm or either ubuntu mate xfce or lxde anything else you'll be way over your head for nothing and don't fall for the buntu forks

does that do well on 2006 specs?

He's basically recommending what you've already been told. Except he recommended a net install with i3wm, don't do that.
Here are your best options:
>I want xfce as my DE
Install Xubuntu or ZorinOS Lite
>I want lxde as my DE
Install Lubuntu or LXLE
>I want MATE as my DE
No, you don't. Ubuntu MATE has tons of issues, including freezing the entire OS when trying to open the downloads folder with firefox (as of version 17). XFCE is simply better and more customizable.

yep i has linux on one from '03
ubuntu might drop support for 32bit cpus tho
anyway openbox is the comfiest stacking wm

Gentoo is a meme distro. It lets you customise absolutely everything, to the point where you're pretty much creating an entire operating system for yourself from scratch. So it's perfect for every computer you use it on (and the advantages are most noticeable on old machines like yours) but it's so difficult to use that you will probably kill yourself before you ever manage to make it work. Also, if you know enough to install Gentoo, you probably know enough to just fix whatever your problem was in a much easier way.

delusional so much

32-bit's going the way of the dinosaur these days, it seems
I oughta get me a real rig before the end of the year

so unless you're ridiculously good with it, you'd be better off just doing something else, huh
thing is, total control's something I'm interested in

>Ubuntu MATE has tons of issues
yeah I heard
downloading ZorinOS Lite now
here's hoping it runs

Easiest way to do it is install Windows first, because if you install Windows last it will write over the GRUB bootloader. You would have to manually reinstall GRUB and configure it if you wanted to use the Linux side of your dualboot.

Go try a youtube tearing test and see how shitty it is compared to windows

on Windows 10, YouTube stutters at 240p
high-res webms lag (RIP /gif)
start tiles won't stay pinned
scrolling down is a bitch
just using the damn thing normally lags anytime due to lack of driver support

I'm sure it'll run better on 7 since this Dell has the same video card as my Asus, which ran 7 and Ubuntu just fine
but I can't trust 10 on this thing
not when it's this old and updates like to keep coming

hehe
grub
anyway yeah I remember that not being too much of a hassle

It's the same

k i go
>on windos tearing
>on gnu no tearing
what now?

yeah crossing out ZorinOS
loads too slow