Opus 1.2

>Opus 1.2

Version 1.2 of Sup Forums's favourite audio codec was recently released by Xiph.org. This version improves the sound quality for both speech and music. Among others, variable bitrate coding was improved for low bitrate music encoding.
Check it out from their demo site:

people.xiph.org/~jm/opus/opus-1.2/

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1374870
listening-tests.hydrogenaud.io/igorc/results.html
hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,114234.msg940959.html#msg940959
itunes.apple.com/us/app/foobar2000/id1072807669
rockbox.org/wiki/CodecPerformanceComparison
my.mixtape.moe/ltdlob.opus
my.mixtape.moe/harfyd.opus
my.mixtape.moe/zzwsli.flac
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ph1b.audiobook
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1374870

THANK YOU BASED NIGHTLY & MOZILLA

should i transcode all my flacs to opus again then?

Nice.

Yes my fav audio codec got updated!
Time to lower my bitrates from 48kbps to 8kbps!
>WTF REALLY?
Yes I stored my music on my phone as 48kbps opus files or even 24kbps.
Sounded great for such a low file size... then my s5 died 5 months later.

I wish my PMP could play Opus. It runs FLAC and Vorbis fine but having all my music crushed into a small microSD satisfied my autism.

time to re-encode everything from 128 to 96 then

Me too user!
I love fitting 5 minutes of music in 1024kb of space or even tried fitting 80 minutes of audio in something like 10mb.
That shit is so much better than spinning those pesky autism spinners

what are you using?

Clip Sport
It was an impulse buy from my mother when I said I was interested in getting a PMP
[spoiler]I have two[/spoiler]

that 32 kbps clip is impressive, compared to the mp3 one, very usable

My hobby is trying to fit the most data (i.e., in human terms) in the smallest amount of space I can. Opus is my go-to for audio.
>Audiophiles hate him!

The 32kbit music samples are insane.
I was very impressed it can do this much at 32kbit, and how much each version improved on the former.

>constantly compresseing images with optipng and jpegoptim
>compulsively recompressing flac files with meager returns
this is Hell

Is there a new version of opus-tools which encodes using Opus 1.2 anywhere?

When will anime rips start using Opus?

I wrote a script to do images.
If you actually do that, you might want to look into pngquant as well. It does lossy png compression (though it doesn't convert in place, detect if it actually made it smaller, or give any output). It's usually better on larger files.

Nevermind, found it.
I've been re-encoding archived anime with FLAC audio to Opus to save disk space for a while. I wouldn't expect it to happen though. People will probably continue to use more widely compatible formats.

I've had decent luck with zopflipng. My method was to run optipng through a directory and then run my favorite images through zopfli for a few more bits shaved off. Very primative but I was never good with computers.

>Under default settings, the output of Zopfli is typically 3–8% smaller than zlib's maximum compression, but takes around 80 times longer.
>80 times longer.
Dear lord. I'll still check it out though, thanks user.

Pretty much all anime comes pre-encoded as AAC so there's really no point in re-encoding it. Release groups that re-encode audio to FLAC for blurays are fucking retarded.

Does HE-AAC have better sound quality than Opus 1.1/1.2?

>48kHz

reencoding my music in 48kbps vbr atm
is this the safest choice?

For which kind of use use?

I've used 96 kb/s Vorbis for storing some music on phone. Been very satisfied with that, I've even connected it to a sound system and to my surprise it sounded okay.

I think by using Opus instead of Vorbis you might be able to cut the bitrate maybe 1/4 or 1/3, so I'd try 64 kb/s or something like that.

Whoa, that's amazing. That 32 kbps Opus samples is insane.

Public test shows the superiority of Opus over HE-AAC at 64kbps. Lower bitrate is unclear with not test.

listening-tests.hydrogenaud.io/igorc/results.html

this.

where's my 44.1khz?

is there a perceptible difference?

honest question: is there an opus player on iOS ? (jailbroken)

i have a huge collection of hearts of space and ambient nights i would like to convert 32kbos opus for shits and giggles

It doesn't matter at all. Stop being autistic.

WHERE IS IT AAAAAAH

hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,114234.msg940959.html#msg940959

itunes.apple.com/us/app/foobar2000/id1072807669

Been testing opus alpha regularly. Big fan of Opus/Vorbis.

New 1.2 is good for low bitrates, such as audio books or TV-shows without music or demanding audio effects

If you have with 96 kbs in previous version, you probably won't notice a difference in an ABX test since the audible improvements are in the low segment. (Vorbis will work just as fine as Opus at those rates or higher.)

Remember that depending on encoder, it may either follow the target bitrate closely or deviate by adding up to 20%.
So one encoder told to do 64 kbit/s but adds a lot, and another that's told to do 80 but makes sure to stay below, should be judged by actual file-size and not your settings.

I didn't really know anything about the technical side of Opus until just now. So Opus is like two codecs combined into one. SILK codec works best on frequencies up to 8kHz and the CELT codec works best on the higher frequencies. You can use one or the other, or combine them and let each codec handle what it does best.

That's really neato.

Replacing existing opus files with new opus files encoded from flac? Sure.

AAC is still better

Making the world a better place.

>jpegoptim
>not mozjpeg

AAC has the better compatibility. Opus is better, though, if your player supports both.

>Opus is better, though
I'd say that's true most of the time, but there are cases where AAC is better. And keep in mind there are different AAC encoders that perform very differently.
Also AAC decodes faster.

AAC-LC is fast. Opus is faster than HE-AAC.

>Opus is faster than HE-AAC.
When decoding? I don't see it.

rockbox.org/wiki/CodecPerformanceComparison

With Opus I can use one codec and it will adapt depending on what bitrate I want.
With AAC I have to choose the correct one for the job (LC-AAC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC-v2)

In my own subjective tests Opus now beats HE-AAC v2 for really low bitrates (32 kbps). It didn' t use to do that.

Only advantage with AAC is that it's supported by most and resilient to additional loss when recompressing with the same codec and bitrate. I.e. you won't noticeable deteriorate the quality. (Unlike other lossy audio codecs or JPG.)

Actually it does matter when there's a 30 years worth of recording material saved specifically as 44.1 kHz. Conversion to 48kHz isn't lossless

You can use flac for archiving. 16 bit int -> 32 bit float is lossy to begin with.

Love this.

Went autistic and re upped my phone music library using the new opusenc tool and saved tons of space.

What's ur parameters when converting FLAC to Opus?

I use --bitrate 32 or 64 if I have the space, and --comp 10

>Conversion to 48kHz isn't lossless
Good thing we're not doing lossless conversion, then, eh?

Why not step it up to webp?

>--comp 10
Complexity 10 is default. No need to specify.
I prefer HEVC and Opus 48k-64k for Stereo (2-channel) film (down to 32k for documentaries) and 96k for music.
(But usually do Vorbis for music with same bitrate since it's supported by my MP3 player).

Bit depth has no effect on sampling rate. It's a completely different metric.

I thought you were talking about CD source because it's the only format where 44.1kHz matters.

Good to know.

>96k for music

Honestly its hard to tell the difference between 64k and 94k

WIthout looking at filesize or bitrate tell me which track sounds better?

1) my.mixtape.moe/ltdlob.opus
2) my.mixtape.moe/harfyd.opus

Anyone can join in too, Just dont cheat

>hard to tell the difference between 64k and 94k
Yes I agree in most cases it's very difficult.

When testing codecs, I usually rip something from a good quality CD.
Encode it with various settings, and then decode it back to WAV.
Burn the WAV to CD and play it in the stereo (since it has the best audio).

Tested your sounds with sennheiser attached to the attached to this comp.
(I hate soundblaster btw, but the gold plated connectors and stuff looks cool I guess.)

Can't judge which one is best. They all sound equally good to me.
But I think the original probably isn't the best for critical listening.
At 22 secs in (and around there) it sounds like heavy distortion but I know it's not from the codec so I guess it's the way they want it to sound.
Also has some faint backgrounds sounds that's still audible on both, (no idea how original sounds) so it didn't miss much.

Sorry if I didn't analyze more than 30 secs, but it really isn't my type of music.
Probably good for critical listening if you attuned to it.

I would, but not much supports it. My image viewer doesn't, and I don't think you can post them on Sup Forums.

the girl that read the thing sounded really cute, does anybody know her name

>can't directly transcore aac 256kbps/mp3 320kbps to opus

into the trash.jpg

It's okay, I only test the first 30 seconds too

The original is here if you really want to compare
my.mixtape.moe/zzwsli.flac

In any case I think I will stick to 64k for phone music because it appeals to my compression autism. But really 96k seems to be the best from what Ive read

Why would you convert mp3 to opus?

Someone dropped 320 kbps MP3 torrent with some Discography, and now you want to save space?

old files, newer files are currently in aac

Find flac of the same albums. Unleash your autism and be a man.

Oh for saving space, yeah sure. I'd just keep the MP3 since i dont want to lose quality.

I only encode opus from FLAC or archive formats. If there's an MP3 320 V0 rip then I'll leave it as that.

What good android player can play this shit?

blackplayer, don't worry no niggers come with it

prob vlc

Thx user
>vlc
bait.jpg

foobar and material player do, and those should cover all your needs

Doesn't play opus files =(
Android version?

>Android version?
yes, both are on android

which material player? Im not seeing in the store

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.ph1b.audiobook

Compile with ffmpeg.

but DISCORD DEVS says it does next to nothing

they cant be wrong
discord is lyfe
discord is luve

discord makes no fault because its chrome in a box

Which codec do they use instead?

they use the previous version

they know best theyre discord

5 Albums = 150 mb

Wow thanks Opus

i've been considering what bitrate to use on my PMP for running and the gym. quality isn't super important when i'm not sitting perfectly still in a quiet room, so music sounding acceptable at 48kbps got me to do some math

Average Album Length = 45m

Average Album Size
>48kbps = 16MB
>64kbps = 22MB
>128kbps = 43MB
>320kbps = 108MB
>900kbps = 303MB

Albums per 64GB
>48kbps = 3949 albums
>64kbps = 2962 albums
>128kbps = 1481 albums
>320kbps = 592 albums
>900kbps = 210 albums

Artists per 64GB, 10 albums per artist
>48kbps = 394 artists
>64kbps = 296 artists
>128kbps = 148 artists
>320kbps = 59 artists
>900kbps = 21 artists

I can't name 400 artists that I enjoy, so 48kbps seems overkill. 64kbps would let me stuff pretty much everything I can think of, and have plenty of room for audiobooks and podcasts.

128kbps would remove any quality concerns in the back of my head, and 150 artists is way more than enough for a gym playlist. Think I'll go with that.

you need to buy and creative card of sound

ok

What PMP do you use for Opus?

You're sweet spot is 96K if you want a little more albums on it

no he must have the suber woofer into 386K so he can feel the smoothness of the hydralics in the air when he does the into jack with tubes

shit, I got Vorbis and Opus confused. Oh well.

AIMP

nope. 64

Opus has an adoption problem. There are literally no music stores or streaming services that distribute Opus. Not even Bandcamp sells it and Bandcamp sells music in almost every format, even Apple Lossless which not even iTunes sells.

Why would they when billions devices supporting MP3 and AAC, almost none supporting Opus and the latter has little to no advantages for music on non-autistic bitrates?

ur a gay

> 96k for music
I use 192 because it's still smaller than mp3 at max quality and it retains FLAC style quality

Opus would be terrific for streaming services like Spotify (which currently uses Ogg Vorbis). Terrific quality sound at lower bandwidth would significantly reduce costs around the board.

Neutron.

Looks like shit but every other player lacks features compared to it.

See, this is the reason this meme will never get popular. mp3 was the same since... 1997? People dont need change

That's retarded. Throw away your PC and get a typewritter. You don't need technology, and we don't need your bullshit.

MP3 encoders changed a fuck-ton. Decoders don't change but encoders can do whatever the fuck they want as long as they produce a bitstream that is compatible.

Well yeah but it seems to be the change of format. else why call it opus 1.2?

Opus is backwards compatible since version 0.8.
Just stop posting.

The encoder changed, the format remains exactly the same. All that changed is the encoder discards more useless information and retains more useful information but the format it outputs is still compatible with the original specification