Pick me a DE fam

What's the best Linux DE for a technically retarded BFU with an old trash laptop (1GB of RAM)? I'm looking for something that doesn't miss any important features, yet isn't comically bloated like GNOME or KDE, or doesn't have settings all over the place. I've been thinking of Budgie or LXQT. Any experiences? I've personally only used both in under two hours.

One man's bloat is another man's features.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure someone who doesn't even know what RAM is is going to find a use for 300 submenus to change your window title fonts.

Linux mint
It's minty fresh

xfce is pretty good and low on resources

I think you mean Cinammon, but I agree.

I've told you guys a million times not to exaggerate so much.

Why use a DE at all?
Just install some lightweight wm instead.

No I ment mint, there's nothing fresh about cinammon

So that the person doesn't get scared away when I try to explain how to use Openbox to them.
Okay, thanks. Been long since I used lightweight and/or beginner-friendly stuff. I'm gonna try Mint XFCE on a 1GB RAM VBox with some CPU throttling.

fluxbox

No DE, just i3.

It's hard for me to recommend anything but i3wm after my long journey of several DEs and WMs that ended here.

Linux Mint is not a desktop environment.

im using xfce. but the next time i reinstall my OS myb gonna use Mate.

kde if you want like menus, toolbars, sliders, buttons and more buttons, also widgets and extra toolbars, as well as popups

gnome you like a professional looking environment and having to rely on third party solutions that might or might not break after every gnome shell update, also framedrops on overview screen

xfce if you like screen tearing, no thumbnails in filepicker, generic outdated looks, and having to do everything yourself, in which case you might as well go full autism neet mode and start using tiling wm, for minimal "bloat"

Install rio.

1 GB of RAM? Use Openbox. You don't need any of these fancy gimmicks.

I'm using awesome regardless of available RAM.

But 1GB should be able to run even KDE...

To solve the screen tearing for AMD users (who aren't using catalyst):

In /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory, edit (or create) a file called 20-radeon.conf with the following contents:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection