What variation of ubuntu should I use?

What variation of ubuntu should I use?

- Lubuntu if you want it to be very fast and don't care about bells and whistles
- Xubuntu if you want it to be fast while also looking slightly passable in 2017
- Ubuntu MATE if you want something that's based off of what's been the standard for years, and is thus stable as fuck
- Kubuntu if you want bells, whistles and crashes
- Ubuntu GNOME if you want something that will eventually become the standard Ubuntu in a few months

Manjaro is the best version of Ubuntu.

Personally I use classic Ubuntu with Unity as default Desktop Environment. I like the 'modern' touch of that DE, its beauty, and what is also important, that it DOESN'T resemble classic Windows desktop, which I hate from all my heart.

Is Lubuntu the best for videogames on Linux because it's the lightest?

Nonebuntu.

m8

rekt

Try out AngergOS It's some kind of Arch with prebuilt shit (like ubuntu) I like it.

Tiny difference almost non noticeable

So what should I go with?

Xubuntu.

Out of all DEs at the moment, XFCE4 is easily the best. While the compositor is weak, you can replace it with a better one. Aside that, it's quick as fuck but easy to configure. It looks good with basic Numix themes installed. One big upside at least in my opinion is vala panel which is a very functional global menu system. Very neat way to decrease window frame bloat if you use a thinkpad or other laptop.

Gnome is bad for very obvious reasons, Unity has that STUPID sidebar and bloat, KDE is Qt and bloat, LXDE and others look like shit.

I use this too. I cycled through many different desktop enviroments/versions of ubuntu but I felt that Ubuntu Unity was the one that felt the most "polished" and functional. Unity is still my favorite because of it's implementation of merging the title bar with the global menu when a program is in fullscreen mode.

It even does it better than MacOS to me.

Plasma 5 has a lot more features than GTK3 based desktop enviroments, but the problem like you said is that it isn't as stable as GTK based DEs (and IMO the best themes are still on GTK DEs).

Gnome is a lot better to use nowadays ever since Dash to Panel was released. I might consider switching to it permanently one day if someone releases an extension that allows you to easily change the size of the title bars. It's annoying having to edit a CSS file.

Kubuntu

Lubuntu or KDE Neon depending on what you want.

shit's a beauty but 64-bit these days
grr

server

Budgie remix, it's the prettiest Ubuntu

Gnome won't ship in Ubuntu until 17.10
Do you know that that 10 is? it means november, 5 months away so not really
> a few months

Your point still stands. I'm just borderline autistic.

you mean 18.04

Debian

If you want a ton of bloatware, then KUbunutu or XUbuntu. LUbuntu is good if you have a pentium 4 or worse.

Gentoo

>MATE
>stable as fuck
Top lel.

Cinnamon mint is the only good ubuntu.

Sierra

the only issues i ever have with mate is when i mess around with mate tweak, even then the issue is only related to plank.

No they'll first introduce Gnome to Ubuntu in November with 17.10 the have the next Long term support version with Gnome be April next year hence the the 18.o4 thing it is 2018 in the fourth month

Either
>ubuntu gnome 16.04
>xubuntu 16.04

All other versions are not worth it

minimall install xfce.

>fidget spinner logo
None.

Regular. Don't believe fags memeing about unity being shit

Is your PC decent?
Linux Mint Cinnamon. If something doesn't work, Ubuntu GNOME 17.04.

Is your PC slow?
Linux Mint MATE. If something doesn't work, Xubuntu 17.04.

REMnux

If you haven't tried normal Ubuntu yet, you're just wasting our time here. It's by far the most polished and functional.

Just install vanilla Ubuntu. You can easily install any of the variations as a meta-package with one command and switch between them at will. Try them all, you may be surprised by your opinion of the default.

Ubuntu MATE, preferebly the LTS release.

Windows 10. Ubuntu baked in.

Xubuntu or ubuntu MATE

Well, since you're here asking this question I'd tell you to go with the "Windows" variation. Go with version 8.1 or 10 depending on your preference. Seems like exactly what you need.

Im using unity now for pretty much the same reasons. That being said it feels a little buggy, and I'm pretty interested in the upcoming gnome based release.

I have a partition that used to have arch on it. I also share my space with Windows 10. Windows updates have fucked with the boot managers I used to use. I know I can get back in and fix it, but this isn't the first time they've done this. Unfortunate part is, I have work related programs that only run on Windows and Mac. I really don't have the ambition to keep on fixing this shit. They don't play well together.

>Lubuntu if you want it to be very fast and don't care about bells and whistles

This. Also it has openbox already on it and it plays ok with gtk2/3 stuff. Putting tin2 on it was easy (read:I was able to do it). So if you want a fairly light linux without too much effort it's pretty nice. Been using it a year with minimal troubles after a bit of learning curve of course. Perfect for running vm's on.

none of them come with openbox, so none of them

How easy is Debian to get a hang of?

manjaro is based off of arch..

Gentoo

The latest Ubuntu Server. No bloat.

lubuntu does