Hey Sup Forums

hey Sup Forums
i want to have a deep knowledge of low-level stuff, how a computer works, kernel development, linux, etc

I have a basic understanding of linux (i am using Arch), programming in python, a little bit of C and asm (just basic commands like mov, add, cmp, etc, and the basics of computer science (logic gates, memory, architecture, stack/heap) but as i said i want to have a very deep knowledge.

I feel that things are overcomplicated, so i want a very simple enviroment where I can explore the system internals (directory structure, packages, etc) understand it completely and interact with it.

what do you recommend? Should i try LFS?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20070318023700/http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/paper1.pdf
m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNlUrzyH5r6jN9ulIgZBpdo
retractionwatch.com/2014/07/18/the-camel-doesnt-have-two-humps-programming-aptitude-test-canned-for-overzealous-conclusion/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

templeOS

but is it well documented, nice for learning its internals, etc? as far as i know its just a meme

muh dick has deep knowledge of your wifes vagina.

>implying i have a wife
>implying im not virgin

>Dozens of frames a second

Wow, great shitbox there m8.

Me too, but i'm a sub 100 IQ brainlet so it's not gonna happen.

it has nothing to do with IQ

Incorrect, homie. Maybe IQ isn't the perfect measure, and maybe there never will be a perfect way to measure it, but there are certainly hard limits on what you're capable of due to your intelligence. I'm sure pretty much anyone can always improve beyond their current level, but there's a point of diminishing returns. This is true of any skill. Take advanced math, for example. You're just wrong if you think everyone is capable of learning it. Some people will never even be able to understand programming. I don't actually know my IQ, and I don't really care either, I do know there are things I will never be able to understand, though.

web.archive.org/web/20070318023700/http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/research/PhDArea/saeed/paper1.pdf

No. It has nothing to do with IQ/"inteligence"

What's your argument, then? I'm all ears (eyes, actually)

Insofaras the source code being available, and your being able to edit it and load it on a vm counts as documentation and nice for learning internals. Holy C is readable, not schizo jibber jabber, but maybe computer language and the bridge between interface and human is schizo jibber jabber to the outsider. If you reduce every suggestion to meme or not meme you're going to crash out because you're a little snot nosed piece of shit who cannot seem to do anything on its own. In fact your needing to ask on Sup Forums should be an indicator that you won't amount to anything in this field.

For you, read Beej's guide to C (to be using a lot-o bit of it, ideally besides Python and assembly language for now), and take an introductory computer science class (to figure out where you want to go and what the hell you're doing before you go screwing around in a solitaire you don't understand the rules to).

What a silly paper you linked there.

Reactos and reversing random system dlls
A lot of them have symbols
Also buy Bruce dangs book and Alex Ionescu's

CE grad here. Linux is incredibly complex and difficult to tame - the majority of kernel developers have incredible knowledge of their domain or have taken OS implementation courses in the past. If you're trying to develop for the Linux kernel for some specific purpose (some hardware you implemented yourself or packet filter, etc.) you can just run Linux with DKMS in SIMICS or a VM, compile it with tracers, and read the kernel API. However, to really understand computing and how to design an operating system, it's almost fundamentally necessary to take a course on it. ASM and C are necessary, but you'll also need to extend that knowledge over to interrupts, utilizing the MMU, PID handling will be fundamental, not to mention preemption, NAT, and filesystems. Even deeper yet, at the logic level, computing is just as complex, and unless you're looking to design microprocessors, ripple carry adders and implementing the Wallace Tree will not be useful.

Playing with LFS is a fun time burner (I've ran a few systems my self for fun), but IMO it's not that useful for teaching design. The best thing to do is take up a course.

>I feel that things are overcomplicated, so i want a very simple enviroment where I can explore the system internals (directory structure, packages, etc) understand it completely and interact with it.

Start with The Unix Programming Environment by Pike and Kernighan, 90% of the code examples should work on modern Linux, the only big exception is directories which have not be readable as files for decades.

>OSX

>it's almost fundamentally necessary to take a course on it.

In the day and age of the inernet there is nothing that can be taught that can not be more efficiently self learned.

You're just trying to justify wasting your money on that degree of yours.

you should get that sorted out then mate.

How low do you want to go

> inb4 a fag calls you out for not using raw microcode

m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNa9bQRPMB8

>You're just wrong if you think everyone is capable of learning it.

I disagree.

What sets us apart from other animals is that our brains are like a lump of wet clay that can be reconfigured to perform all manner of specialized tasks: from playing and composing music, to flying aeroplanes, to learning advanced mathematics.

Outside of literal, genuine mental retardation/rehabilitation mental illness, I'm pretty sure every single person can learn to do every single thing - if they put in the effort.

I disagree with your disagree. I think maybe if you start from a young age, most humans are capable of learning most things, but I still stand by the fact that there is a hard limit (or even a soft limit) on everyone that they can not or will not surpass.

The reason a course is superior is because it incentivizes you to do projects with a set deadline and I feel that it's incredibly important to learn by doing in CS. It can be easy to mull over some concepts like the Fibonacci heap or how to implement Karger's algorithm but knowing when to use it is much more important and will help you in the future.

I make a decent living (work for Texas Instruments) and I was a Provost Scholar so I only spent money on my apartment.

>more efficiently self learned.
Keep telling yourself that

if you want to have a very deep knowledge of anything you have to work in the field for 10-20 years. But you'll never fucking do that just because you want to sound smart

Go to b faggotfucker

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNlUrzyH5r6jN9ulIgZBpdo
Here op i belive this will be a good start

The brain is flexible. It becomes less so when you age, but it is capable of adapting. Maybe there are people *too stupid* to understand something, but short of mental disabilities anyone can advance in a field with hard enough efforts.

I recommend learning assembly (preferably on ARM - it's quite simple) and also reading the book "The Elements of Computing System", which explains how to make a computer in a hardware simulator, and then make your own assembler, virtual machine and programming language.

Also learn C, it's an essentail part of many software systems in this day and age.

Well, do you have any real source ?

do you? it's all just speculation

retractionwatch.com/2014/07/18/the-camel-doesnt-have-two-humps-programming-aptitude-test-canned-for-overzealous-conclusion/

Did mommy and daddy give you permission to use the computer?

>using (((medication)))
he deserved it

>but is it well documented

nigger...

>I feel that things are overcomplicated, so i want a very simple enviroment where I can explore the system internals (directory structure, packages, etc) understand it completely and interact with it.

gentoo

Minix.

Last I checked, most Youtube vidyas are 30 FPS.

Are you arguing that there is no such thing as physical differences between different persons' brains that can cause them to have different capabilities?

>basics of COMPUTER SCIENCE
>logic gates, memory, architecture, stack/heap

Sorry, but essentially none of that is computer science. Don't spread ignorance.

Why hasn't anyone suggested FreeBSD yet?

>i want to have a deep knowledge of low-level stuff
tl;dr:
learn C and ASM, and read Tanenbaum's books on OSes and networking