What the fuck is wrong with android?

What the fuck is wrong with android?
Is this why fucking cell phones have 6 gigs of RAM these days?

How the fuck do you manage to bloat up a phone OS this fucking bad?

>tfw haven't used Android in years

Look up android memory management. It doesn't work the same way as windows you fucking pleb.

Bloated as HECK. I have 3 GB of RAM and 1,6 of it is already in use even when I haven't opened a single app myself. I really dislike how Samsung and Google both forces all these background applications and I don't know which of them I should stop without making my experience worse.

OK but why is a fucking phone os using at 800mbs?

My fucking riced out xfce Debian desktop doesn't use that much ram.

i dont think you know how a smartphone works user

>Android shills in full force

Operating systems are like that.
They use what is available. If you have 8GB of RAM in your computer it will consume more than if you had 4GB of RAM just idling and especially after running some applications.

It's not really a problem. It'll free up memory when it is needed for other tasks.

Then how the fuck does it work, user?
Tell us.

What the fuck are you talking about?
My main machine has 16 gigs of ram running arch with a full KDE install. I've never seen it go over 6gigs of ram used, and that's only because of firefox being garbage.

Put 4GB in your machine and see what the RAM usage is like when idle.

It'll be less than when you had 16GB in.

Open htop, you'll probably have almost a full bar of orange like pic related.
All of that is cache, it's just not counted as being "used" or else your memory usage would be near 100% constantly.

>have 5GiB RAM
>never used more than 1GiB

Not him but I'll tell you:
Android app development is fucking ass and everything is a resource hog because muh flash transitions and styles.

by running the whole os in a vm, of course.

this

the whole fucking thing is written in Java, the most resource-gobbling language you can code an OS in. I'm just waiting for the day someone goes and writes an Android alternative that runs in a Python interpreter

Learn how android works before you make a thread. Android uses as much ram as possible in order to make sure all your most used apps are stored there. That way, your cpu doesn't have to render the interface, the animations, the code again every time you start it, this consume resources like the battery. Full ram consumes the same energy as a empty ram.

>Android app development is fucking ass

yes

>do Android development for 1.5 years
>everything is inconsistent
>nothing makes sense
>12 different ways to do anything
>1 million libraries that are all shit and have their own little quirks

>try iOS dev with swift
>everything just makes sense, is a breeze to work with
>never look back

>has 16 gigs of ram he doesn't use
It is you who is the retard here.

>Old phones did it better

just root your phone and remove bloatware

Android is a joke. Get an iPhone

Why not get a windows phone?

>what is cache

I think you should leave.

different ways to do anything
Welcome to programming in general.

but it runs fine
if you like looking at very low memory usage just get a minimalist linux distro on your pc and start jacking off to numbers that give you nothing at all

Lol nope that's on android only.

Nope battery took a lot hit and phone will sluggish when ram being clogged. I'm using android since 2.1 those ram usage cause lagging slowdown and worse app restarting even with 4gb ram...

even with 200mb free on my 2gb phone i don't see any slowdowns at all

>Media files can be transferred using iTunes desktop app. Photos can be transferred out via USB without apps.

Lmao, fuck iOS

except this is objectively wrong, shilltard. android caches everything previously opened into RAM to make loading much faster, which means this should speed up your phone significantly. the only reason it would still "lag" is if you use shitware placebo apps which "clean RAM and improve battery life xD" or anything similar.
I'm using a 3yo phone with 2GB RAM and never did it freeze on me or lag, and it uses 6.0.1. If you actually had 4GB RAM you'd be able to run a shit ton of background apps with no performance issues. Android was a laggy piece of shit only up to v5, so you're definitely not "using android since 2.1".

>lol nope that's android only
again, your stupid underage is showing. all operating systems will cache themselves and other software as much as possible into your RAM because that's the only way to make your performance not suck. This is why when you use 8GB or more RAM on desktop the default RAM usage will be greater than if you'd use 2GB.

>Lol nope that's on android only.
It's all operating systems.
Windows? 5GB used, 7GB cached, 3.7GB free. Only shows 5GB usage but a huge amount is being used to cache that will be freed up when needed.
My server? It splits MemFree and MemAvailable but there is 1.5GB cached.
My OrangePi? 300MB cached.

Depending what application you use to view memory usage cached data may be included in the total memory usage and it may not be. But that isn't all, applications themselves may use more memory when more memory is available. It's just the way it is.
Complain about it when it affects performance, don't complain just because it is being used.

>but when I open 10 apps in a row some apps get unloaded from memory!
But if you actually monitor the memory usage when you do that you will see they start being unloaded before you hit full memory usage. That has to do with OS/kernel settings, often changed in custom ROMs and sometimes tweaked in OTA updates if they decide it is too aggressive.

Honestly, I agree. Why does some phones have more RAM than some of my fucking desktops and yet my 2GB phone is considered as a low RAM device and it never has enough free RAM to run multiple apps. Why is this allowed, I can run a Core 2 machine with 2GB and Loonix with no issues and even botnet10 runs on 4GB fine.

Are you on drugs? My GNU/Linux system does not have any significant difference in actual active RAM usage on idle with the same programs open or nothing open, its pretty much the same between 4GB, 8GB and 16GB and 32GB machines I got with pretty much the same setup. It uses the available RAM for caching pretty much.

>GNU/Linux
It's just GNU.

Cache misses are the reason. The big difference in these devices is memory/storage speeds.

When you try and load a program on a Windows PC and it's not already loaded into memory, the HDD can serve it up at 100MBs or greater. The result is that the cache miss isn't too costly because it loads quite rapidly off of the disk.

With phones, storage speeds are much lower. The result is that when you have a cache miss, loading off main storage is very costly. This issue is further exacerbated by most apps requiring a data connection, that each and every single one of them immediately initializes and starts to pull from when it starts. This has a further cost that is less apparent than on Windows where in most connections are open 100% of the time because you care less about data/power usage.

If you were to run Android like a Windows PC, always on connection, no care about battery life etc you would find both of them can perform pretty close to equally on the same hardware.

With the above considerations, Android is tweaked to keep a lot more stuff in memory to try and avoid having to pull from much slower storage systems, so you always appear to be using more RAM.

There's a bigger cost in Android when the cache is missed too. In Windows, dropping a memory allocation times in the space of nanoseconds. Because many Android systems are running JIT compiling, there's a small cost in dropping the memory, and a much larger cost in loading the new app into memory.

This is a complex field with dozens of variables made all the more complex by storage and memory configurations. Saying your 2GB phone doesn't slow down is just plain old pants on head. You're either paying penalties all the time so it feels the same, or you're not actually using your RAM.

One final thought, Android loads a lot of graphic elements in memory that Windows generates dynamically or loads off of the disk. This makes a difference too.

Because fuck optimization and performance that's why.
In the Android 4.4 days having 2GB RAM meant you can have pretty much all apps cached in RAM and switch between them instantly.
Now with 2GB RAM I can't switch between browser tabs without reloading them.

In that time websites have quintupled in load size, browsers have become immensely more complex and Android has started to exchange more RAM usage for greater battery life (using more RAM is less of a power drawn than shuffling memory around).

On top of that, most modern app developers don't give a fuck about optimising their apps. Back in those days, they had to or the app wouldn't run. There are tons of reasons for what you're seeing.

I also think you have romanticized your Android 4.4 days a bit. It's like going back to old games, you remember them fondly, but objectively, most of them were rubbish.

>It'll free up memory when it is needed for other tasks.
No it won't. Stop with this meme. When my keyboard needs 50MB more, it doesn't get them back, it crashes. Android is pure bloated crap.

Fucking get an iPhone or do some cache/start up management yourself.
The way standard android handles this shit is ridiculous. It just caches/saves every fucking piece of shit everything and leaves it forever.
iOs doesn't do that. At least not on that level. The management on iOs is actually pretty fucking neat. That's why everyone is like "hurr durr apple just works" and of course this fucked up management system also affects battery life and performance. That's why an iPhone with a smaller battery and less RAM doesn't perform worse than some androids with huge ass batteries and lots of RAM. But that's also why apple limits its devices, apps and store in some ways.

Code monkeys are a plague.

There's some truth to this. Android runs entirely in VMs. There is overhead to be had for this, but it's not that significant.

The guy who posted the reclaiming memory thing is correct. If your keyboard is crashing then either your ROM, hardware or keyboard is complete rubbish.

>4.4
Lagging garbage with a shit battery life. Newer versions are much better.
t. Someone who after 1.5 years of using 4.4 finally updated the OS to 6.0.1 on the same device

>When my keyboard needs 50MB more, it doesn't get them back, it crashes.
Stop using a shitty ROM. This shouldn't happen, it doesn't happen to me.

I keep a few old phones with the old software on them, even a basic 800MHz single core with 512MB is surprisingly responsive running stock Gingerbread.
For me Android peaked with 4.1, I gave 4.4 as an example because I used a Nexus 4 for a bit on 4.4 and it was glorious.

What phone? I'm on 6 on my LG G3 and it's fucking awful even after removing as much of the LG software as possible.

Shill alert fatherfuckers

And according to op replies he uses linux
What kinf of a faggotfucker uses linux and know how linux works but complaints about andoroid ram management
Fucking shills not even doing their job properly

Because they aren't comparable. You'd know this if you weren't a drooling cocksucker who cannot read 40 posts before furiously typing his uneducated opinion on the topic

It also does a ton less than modern phones do. Battery life is a joke relatively.

I think any statement calling Android 4.x glorious does rather prove my point.

Despite using the Linux kernel, Android memory management configurations are a wholly different beast. Not saying he's not a shill, but not really apples to apples.
lol, right as I said it..

Werks on my 4gb phone senpai

this desu

>what phone
Galaxy S5. I disabled all google-related apps (store, services, maps, docs, g+, hangouts, etc.). But I had the same setup on 4.4.

Because GNU and Android are different. Linux is just the kernel.

Uses way less on my tablet, to be fair though, I didn't install Gapps on Lineage

I'd say, at this point, flash lineage on it, LG phones are fine, but the software is what fucks them

>Lagging garbage with a shit battery life.
wrong

Not OP, but thank you for that explanation.

It's just scaling.

Android is not like desktop windows or linux. The Android designers assumed users are stupid and cant manage their RAM. Because Android DOES NOT HAVE PAGINATION, even though the linux kernel supports it, they impose a series of restrictions regarding RAM.

One restriction is that because users are stupid and never ever close apps, its the system who closes apps automatically. When you are a programmer, that means you have to expect the OS to kill your app at any moments notice.

Most importantly, there is a PER APP LIMIT on the ammount of RAM you can use. So Java apps have the heap limited to, lets say, 16MB, 32MB, up to hundreds of MB, etc depending on the OS version and the total RAM available.

So if you buy a phone with 8GB its not going to mean shit for a particular app, because its heap will be limited to, lets say, 128 MB and neither the developer or the user can do anything about it.

Because of this division of the RAM in buckets, it is retarded to buy phones with a lot of RAM as if it was a PC.

Note that this does not affect processes written in C, only Java apps.