OLED smartphones and tablets have been out for years

>OLED smartphones and tablets have been out for years
>OLED TV's are getting better and more affordable every year
>OLED laptops are slowly coming up (Alienware 13, Lenovo X1 Yoga, HP Spectre X360)

Meanwhile, no OLED monitors anywhere yet? What's the holdup?

scale

>What's the holdup?
Screen burn from static elements. High costs at larger panel sizes. Uneven wearing of subpixels so the colour changes over time.

Done. Next time ask this kind.of thing in the stupid questions thread.

/thread

Burn in is much more of a problem on computer monitors than on phones, as the displayed content changes much more on phones. burn in is a meme for phones but not so much for computer screens. the different lifespan of the 3 RGB colors is acceptable for phones, as a small color change over the years is tolerable. garbage for a computer screen you're going to use 5+ years. good post user.

As says, OLEDs are very limited. Even though they are constantly being improved, the technology is probably not fit for constant usage like on desktop displays. What might bring us hope are quantum dot displays, which could work like OLEDs (currently we have QLEDs which actually don't work like OLEDs), but use inorganic materials which would help with durability.

>What's the holdup?
Huge back stock of shitty TN panels that need to be sold before OLED.

This, solid GUI elements kills the OLED.

>burn in is a meme for phones

>burn in is a meme for phones

You sure about that?

get a phone that isn't dogshit.
samsung phones don't even turn off their displays at this point.

Who knew that if you left an OLED screen on max brightness for days on end with a solid image on it, there would be burn in?

Stop posting display models that are abused daily and sit at max brightness 24/7 and act like that's common burn in on phones.

I have had the same OLED screen in my note5 since it launched 2 years ago and there isn't a single lick of burn in visible.

I guess my post only counts for samsungs top quality panels used in the S and Note series. Also the only good feature in samsung phones right now. I think some people keep an image for 24+ hours on full brightness to get a burn in effect, normal usage wouldn't show burn in, ever, unless maybe it's a really low quality panel.

OLED will always have issues with burn in, always. Even if they mitigate this problem, you'll have to replace your screen every few years because your subpixels will degrade over time. Colors will change unevenly across the screen, static elements like your clock or task bar will burn in, brightness will drop unevenly, and it's just in general a shitty technology for computer displays.

SED when

What does however happen is the wearing out of the OLEDiodes. Where my black status bar is, the pixels are a tiny bit brighter when viewing a fully blue image. My phone is over 2.5 years old though.

>literally a display model running the same dog shit all day
>hurr oled burns in very easily

Never due to patent trolls.
Same reason why we'll never have safe table saws.

They won the patent lawsuit but they decided to stop production and research on them anyways.

>OLED will always have issues with burn in, always.
That doesn't deter companies from releasing it for sale. The only real issue is this.

Just wait microled + quantum dot

latency

Agreed. I've only owned oled phones since the galaxy s2. None of them are burned in anyway.

We have safe table saws though. If you touch the blade it will stop before it can cause serious injury.

>What's the holdup?
The Samsung ones are bad for your eyes with the 240 Hz flicker 'n shieeet.

>What might bring us hope are quantum dot displays, which could work like OLEDs (currently we have QLEDs which actually don't work like OLEDs), but use inorganic materials which would help with durability.