/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Speed Test - OnePlus 5 vs HTC U11 vs Galaxy S8 - Snapdragon 835 Edition
youtube.com/watch?v=9LnohX8G3vQ

Samsung Galaxy Note8 launches late September for nearly €1,000
venturebeat.com/2017/06/23/samsung-galaxy-note8-launches-late-september-for-nearly-e1000/

Sony Xperia L1 review: Level one-GSMarena review
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_l1-review-1624.php

Camera Shootout - City at Night - HTC U11 vs Galaxy S8 vs Google Pixel vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium
youtube.com/watch?v=Hv5NsV88C1w&feature=youtu.be

OnLeaks: "LG V30 will support wireless charging and thus, very likely have glass back. Still have dual rear cam and rear FPS."
twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/878150557273387009

OnePlus 5 fails at 4K video stabilization: comparison vs Apple iPhone 7 Plus
phonearena.com/news/OnePlus-5-fails-at-4K-video-stabilization-comparison-vs-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus_id95250

Deal: Grab an LG G5 for under $260 in US
gsmarena.com/deal_grab_an_lg_g5_for_under_260_in_us-news-25752.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_617042.html?wid=11¤cy=GBP&vip=1006721&gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9WbV4T790jnPH0Nl0NMiU7NSfngog4-RgwcKO09B_oyvBoCEezw_wcB
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_649867.html
amazon.de/Motorola-Smartphone-Android-Schwarz-Silber/dp/B01KUXKP92/
warosu.org/g/thread/S60982587#p60989456
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6ftg72/want_to_completely_disableuninstall_those_pesky/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Currently have an iPhone 6 and sick of the lack of customization, will a Moto G5 be a performance downgrade from it? I want a removable battery so the G5 Plus isn't an option.

What can /spg/ tell me about the Zuk edge? worth it for around $250? or are there better options i need band 4

I want a phone in the UK. from 150-400. Where do I buy phones. pls respond

>Seriously though, you'll be playing the waiting game indefinitely if you work that way
I don't know user: every time I see a new product there is always that something that sets me off:
>Galaxy S8
>curved screen, bloated android, bad durability (glass not protected by the frame)
>LG G6
Old processor, dual camera with wide angle instead of zoom, bad durability (glass not protected by the frame)
>OP5
1080p PenTile AMOLED, unstabilized cameras, no IP68, no SD card slot, shady company that cheats on benchmarks
>Everything that doesn't have a 3,5mm jack

Fuck, I know I'm picky, but it's my precious neetbux, and I won't be able to afford a new phone for another three, maybe four years, and I don't want to waste them on a half ass product that will shit itself in less than that time, or will brake because it slipped from the sofa and fell for 40cm and got the screen cracked from the impact with the carpet.

What's your usage? Wanted features?

Well yeah obviously a big performance downgrade. If you don't play games it's fine though. Just don't expect iphone smoothness.

I lost my Mi5 and I'm wondering if I should get a new one or if there's something better now at the same price range. Is the Redmi a lot worse?

I want to browse Sup Forums and to play PS1 games, maybe PSP too.

Lenovo P2 from Carphone warehouse.
Maybe you'll manage to find OP3T for 400 quid.

Also I just want to pay and go

Should I buy the Moto Z Play right now or wait for the Moto Z2 Play? I'm thinking of the former because of the battery downgrade.

When will the X4 be released?

Okay I checked my local 3 store but they didn't have it in stock, I'll try carphone warehouse. Is the Lenovo P2 good?

Is there a way for me to reset my phone to exactly the state it was when it left the factory? Including:

>all settings reset
>all files deleted
>all apps and files that were on day 1 on it are back

I want to do it in case I fuck anything up and uninstall some crucial apps or delete files.

Don't play any games aside from some old emulatable RPGs, a friend has a A5 2017 that sometimes stutters when playing PSP RPGs. I just want a good video player like mpv, open source apps just a fuck ton of customization. Only normalfag thing I do is Instagram so having a worse camera than the iPhone 6 kinda sucks, but not a deal breaker.

Yeah, it's pretty great.

OP3T is better but more expensive.

Also look into Moto G5/G5+.

The rumour is it will be announced june 30th so in a few days. When it will actually available I don't know.

>Carphone Warehouse
as far as I can tell they don't have it but Three has it for £200, it's not SIM locked either

Pretty good deal.
This or G5/G5+ should good enough for your needs.

Z2 Play is way too expensive for the specs it has

Thank for the help, If I can't get the OP3T then I'll go for the P2

Thinking about going for the OP3T it's £320 on gearbest. Is gearbest trust worthy? It's the gold one.

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_617042.html?wid=11¤cy=GBP&vip=1006721&gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9WbV4T790jnPH0Nl0NMiU7NSfngog4-RgwcKO09B_oyvBoCEezw_wcB

XZ Premium?

Yeah, but it will take 3-4 weeks to arrive from China.

Factory reset from the settings, you have to tick the box to format the internal storage too

There's most likely a way way to flash the stock ROM on the phone too

>Note 4 usb port fucked up for the third time

Gonna kms, bros

>flash the stock ROM on the phone too
That's what I'm currently looking into. But is there a chance that it won't restore all of the apps that came with it? Because I remember uninstalling some system (is that how you call them?) apps and now I'm afraid that it's forever gone.

Ideed.
Is there something else (with similar specs) I should consider other than the Z Play?

Lenovo P2 or Redmi Note 4, both have SD625 and hueg battery.

The system apps are in the stock ROM so they will be restored when you flash it.

Praise the lord. Thank you.

You can get the gray version for £310 with the coupon OneplusK
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_649867.html

Remember you might have to pay VAT / custom duty when ordering from outside of the EU

>SIX HUNDRED NINETY-NINE U.S BURGERS

Will it be a bigger blunder than the op5?

Whats this boards opinions about the s8? If I can afford it should I get it?

My brother just got it and it's very good. Basically a better bersion of S7 Edge.

If you can afford the S8 you can afford something better

pls respond

>you can afford something better
and that is?

Mi5s

Not as big of a blunder as the OP5

I had the sany z4c for 2 years now, but its broken now and I need a new phone.

For example?

If it's like the XZ, then the structural build quality is abysmal. Also, it's way overpriced, and out of budget.

The Essential
HTC U11

HTC U11, OP5

What do you guys think about Vodafone Smart Platinum (rebranded Alcatel One Touch Idol 4S)? Is there a better alternative? Costs just 320 yuropcoins.

Essential phone. Doesn't ship outside America.

What's your usage / wanted features? That phone does seem like a pretty good deal for ~300€ looking at the specs

Wil the s8 ever get android 7.1?

it hasn't even released yet and I already think it's just as big of a blunder as the OP5

I mainly use phone for browsing internet (Google Chrome, clover, etc), and for whatsapp and viber. I rarely play games on phone and mostly of them are 2d. I also use camera a lot but not sure if it's good enough.

I don't know personally, but I'm very sure it will get it soon since it's a new phone anyway.

Check this out
amazon.de/Motorola-Smartphone-Android-Schwarz-Silber/dp/B01KUXKP92/

It's the German Amazon but they ship to other countries too

Other phones to consider
Moto G5 Plus
Honor 8
Lenovo P2

I am not familiar with samsung's support for devices. I do not follow the smartphone scene to closely, but do they have a history of just dropping support for their phones?

How well will the Xperia XZ line work on Verizon?

>but do they have a history of just dropping support for their phones?
yes, but it's a common thing for Android in general

Not at all

I need a new phone. What do I think of the OP5?

Hmm. That sucks. Whats the latest on the pixel 2? Do we know a release date? My current phone is broken, so I am keen to buy something.

If my phone is working fine for me, there's no need to replace it until it dies, right?

Really? It has all the bands required and I already have an active Verizon SIM. It should work as long as I don't go to east bumblefuck where there is no coverage at all.

probably overpriced crap again. I wish Nokia would hurry up with their US release

Looking for honor 5 owners. Let me know how you like it - what would you change?
Is it enough power for yo?

>4.7"-5.2" no more no less
>Metal
>Little or no branding on front (i.e. chrome text logo of manufacturer)
>Has buttons in the chin or virtual buttons and small chin
>Nice to look at
>Fingerprint
>Can install different rom
>Performance on par with iphone 6 or better
>Sub $300

Does this phone even exist Sup Forums?

so, I don't play games on my phone, I don't want a fingerprint sensor, I do want something with quick response and reasonable storage, preferably pretty close to stock android. I don't care too much about the camera, I care very much about build quality, what should I get for less than 400 USD?

Well the release date will be around the same time as last year, so october or something.

Moto G5, Nokia 6, Axon 7

>available in both 5" and 5.5" for the same price
>all metal
>0.5mm side bezels
>home button /w fingerprint + two flanking buttons
>snapdragon 835
>dual 1" sensor cameras
>dedicated team of 40 nerds keeping its lineageos up to date
>no more than $150
Why doesn't this fucking phone exist Sup Forums??

Good luck finding a phone without a fingerprint reader that isn't either ultra low budget, or old as fuck

screen popping out memes aside, how is the blackberry keyone? I think it would be nice to have a keyboard again.

>Snapdragon 835
>no more than $150
shit bait

Sending my OnePlus 3 in for repair and going to sell it. Is their any decent GSM budget phones that cost in-between 50-80$ that doesn't have notable Android Lag™. Last budget phone I had was a Moto E, and it had like .2ms input lag after any screen input is registered.

Not for $50-$80

BLU R1 HD is $60 with Amazon prime

Ok. Just going to close my eyes and buy the s8.
I see the international version have some rom support so I am going for that. I am also going to get the dual sim version.

I am currently looking to buy it a b&h in new york be cause I have someone that can pick it up for me. I am not from US, so can anyone recommend another store in new york which sells unlocked phones?

You'll regret it

I'm in the US with Verizon and I want to get a new phone. Looking for something with a decent camera and battery life, microSD slot, and preferably something I can also use in China and Europe with their carriers (which I feel is unlikely given past experiences), any suggestions? Looking for stuff on the cheaper end that meets these conditions and it looks like something from Xiaomi is probably going to be my best bet.

>Xiaomi
>Verizon
Forget it. Moto G5 Plus is probably your best bet

What won't I regret?

What is going on with Xiaomi because Redmi Note 64gb global model seems to be sold out almost everywhere? Did they stop manufacturing it?

warosu.org/g/thread/S60982587#p60989456

get the mi6 if you feel that the headphone jack isnt essential

What is going on with Xiaomi because Redmi Note 64gb global model seems to be sold out almost everywhere? Did they stop manufacturing it?

What's the deal with Xiaomi and Verizon?

They won't work on Verizon as they don't have the network bands needed.

That seems like the ideal choice, thanks.

What's the go to in android tablets these days?
My Nexus 7 (2012) can barely hold a charge and I need a replacement.

When I do
pm list packages
it doesn't show all apps that are installed on my phone. That includes apps that came installed with my phone, not just apps I installed manually.
Is there a way for me to list all apps?

I want to cleanly uninstall some things I don't need. I can see the APK files in /system/etc/product/applications, but is removing that APK file enough to remove the app?

How legit is that information though?

As legit as any you're gonna get.

Geekbuying and Honorbuy are saying they'll have it back in stock at the beginning of next month so I think it's legit

Try following this
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6ftg72/want_to_completely_disableuninstall_those_pesky/

Thanks.
It's exactly what I've been doing. The "pm list packages" doesn't return the name of all the programs. Well, maybe it does, but they're cryptic. I am afraid to remove stuff randomly though.

What exactly is it you want to remove?

A few things:

>facebook
>something called "messenger"
>sony select
>timescape
>xperia link

I just tested flashing the stock firmware on my phone and it seems to restore the things I randomly uninstall, which is good. I guess I can just try to find those things by trial and error.

Hey /spg/ I'm about to buy a redmi note 3 and had a question about the "special edition".

I have two options:
>3gb ram and mediatek helio x10
>2gb ram and snapdragon 650 (special edition)

Which would you choose? The snap 650 performs about 50% better on benchmarks, but this version has 1gb less RAM than the other.
I've had issues in the past with 2gb not really being enough but I had a phone with a locked bootloader and touchwiz - thinking I could deal with 2gb with the right rom.

Both phones can be had for the same price.

neither, get redmi note 4

I think the idea is to use the grep command to search for specific apps so

pm list packages | grep 'facebook'
pm list packages | grep 'sony'

Redmi Note 4 Global is the one you want, redmeme 3 is old

5.5" is a deal breaker. Really don't want to go over 5"