Should I use debian as a first Linux distro?

Should I use debian as a first Linux distro?

No. You should try Ubuntu MATE

I heard that it was unstable.

Arch. Seriously it's actually really easy to install unless your retarded. Plus it's not bloated with crap you'll never use.

honestly I'd say not, you'd be better off starting with some alternate version of ubuntu. Access to PPA's and things like the sudo command off the bat will make the transition much easier. Many things in Debian that are deemed "unnecessary" don't work off the bat, and they're things you may value (wireless card drivers for a laptop.) While this does stay in line with the values of linux, it's just a pain in the ass for anyone looking to use linux for the first time. Almost any other response you get will be someone memeing at you, and I'm sure someone will have something to say about what I said, so the rest is up to you.

>the sudo command off the bat will make the transition much easier.
Are you serious?

>ubuntu
>unstable
are you out of your mind? Debian stable is server tier but you can always give it a try if you don't mind old programs

>Debian
>So stable founder kills himself

Devuan will slowly phase out Debian, not because of the init freedom but because of the competent, professional Devuan developers and lack of SJW politics.

>le epic SJW bogeyman
Kill (you)rself.

t. SJW

Yes!

>your retarded

Unless you need tampons for your vagina!
Otherwise, install Source Mage!

he killed himself because he could no longer watch the fruit of his life's labour be raped by systemd.

It's so sad he did not last to see the light of Devuan.

Kek

no, because you'll have to install proprietary firmware manually
it's especially painful if you want to do a network install through wifi

>if you want to do a network install through wifi
But why would anybody want to do that?

should have just installed windows

He killed himself because he read your shitposts.

Yes, it was my first too. It is fine to this day.

mint + cinnamon
fuck mate

>first distro
>arch
go fuck yourself faggot

>Plus it's not bloated with crap you'll never use.
You're fucking stupid.

you're actually saying arch is bloated...

when you inevitably look up a tutorial on something it will say
sudo apt-get update
and that command will work on stock ubuntu, but not on stock debian because the user isn't on the sudoers list
therefore, it will make the transition that much easier

Install xubuntu.

Freebsd?

is there an install cd with non-free?

Autism

of course it is you idiot. a kernel with all possible settings enabled... software compiled with maximum features/deps. how is it not bloat?

I'm pretty sure the installer recommends you to not set a root password, which will get you sudo installed and your first user configured as a sudoer.

Not him but ubuntu crashes after every boot, at least for me. Debian testing is the way to go.

Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu is the best choice for first lunix.
Arch is bullshit and piece of shit.
Gentoo is the best OS ever, but installation process is dick sucking faggotry.

Arch packages include all the headers you'd only ever need if you want to go and compile on that system, which isn't even recommended to do.

your very first distro SHOULD have plenty of "bloat". There are tons of tiny conveniences built into "bloated" distros/OSes that you take for granted until you have to learn about it and configure it for yourself from a barebones install.

Absolutely, after you are comfortable navigating the command line, have settled on the programs you like, and know the things that you do and don't need on your computer, you can start from the basics with gentoo, arch, netinst debian or the like. But don't get memed. Start with something very comfortable.

And only for you. That should give you something to think about.

All these posters are inncorrect.
Install Gentoo.

i recommend deepin since it's pretty

go fuck yourself with that pseudo-distro

>I heard that it was unstable
Most Linux distros have 2 versions, a current release and a LTS. The LTS is super stable and supported fort years where the current release is supported for about a year.

I've been using Ubuntu mate since December and the only issues I've had with it is when switching themes, but that only related to plank which is a dock to make your computer look like a Mac.

>Most Linux distros have 2 versions, a current release and a LTS.
Actually, most Linux distros don't have such a release model.

No, use Ubuntu, they aren't as autistic as Debian on 'freedoms'. By default Debian offers only main repo, no contrib or non-free. No non-free blobs, either: you have to install them during setup or after that.

Yes. Also Live and Netinst images.

t. Jewbuntu user

because it is ? even their main-neckbeards erm "developers" say so

>bloated
retard.

Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.Install Slackware.

Mint mate is better desu.

Fucking retard

I was always under the impression that newbies have two choices when selecting their first GNU/Linux distro: Fedora or some Ubuntu variant.
My first distro was Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04. Totally different experience back in those days. Once I learned the basics and got myself well acquainted with the FHS, I hopped over to Crunchbang--another Debian-based distro. Eventually I tried out Fedora; however, it wasn't for me, and jumped back over to using plain ol' Debian.
Debian is sturdy, trusty, a truly great distro, but you're gonna wanna ease yourself into it. Get your feet wet before you jump in headfirst.
Download yourself a Xubuntu 16.04 .iso and go ham. Really immerse yourself in the system and then move on to using Stretch when you're comfortable.

THICC

go suck your mothers dick, boy

Debian is awesome. I like it a lot. We had such an good relationship for so long... But everything ends. Anyway, I don't recommend Debian because of it's philosophy but you will make no mistake by using it as a main distro.
Ubuntu is nowhere near stable as Debian, and it won't be for the foreseeable future. Although you must be aware that in gnu/linux the stability is highly dependent on the user. You can make your distro be more stable by configure to and maintaining it stable.

This is the vantage about using Arch. But you need to invest a lot of time in it.

>2017
People still seems to not know how to install Debian and wrongly speak about the "sudo" problem. As if it was a problem.

I still miss Ian Murdock.

Read both, OP.

arch finds you
you can't convince someone to use it
same as gentoo
only then you can feel the true power

The power of FOSS
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
Flame on burn desire
FOSS with tongues of fire
Purge the soul
Make FOSS your goal

first off it's gnu/linux
second off, no, use Hurd From Scratch

Fuck off, shill.

It's just Linux you fucking memelord.

>not setting a root keyboard

Why?

laptop wifi + no lan = no internet from devuan

Get an atheros wifi chip and enjoy the goodness of free software.

Ubuntu if you don't want to loose time with driver problem, missing software

Is the name true? Is it really a distro for slack people?

>spend money to use linux

actually, it's probably the opposite
but if you learn slackware, you've learnt linux
if you're a real slacker that wants to try slackware try salix

>Nice try FBI

They're $5 on ebay.

and i have to block a usb port because of linux even though there is a solution in linux just so i can linux the linux way

Use Jewbuntu, Jews are smarter.

>using USB for wifi
Have you never installed a pci or pcie card?

Linux Mint MATE should be your fisrt and last distro.

have you never had a laptop with no usable pci slots desu?

No because I only use thinkpads. Anything else is shit tier and you should kys for having a shitty laptop.

You should use Debian as your first, last and only Linux distro.

Just do it. Also a VirtualBox will answer this question better than anyone here.