Why does this old shit still sell for this much?!

What the fuck man

stop being poor

can you find them for cheaper? no?

free market

they're retro!

i7 anything is always hugely inflated. probably because normie dumb-dumbs just see the bigger number and assume it's better. look at t420s on ebay with an i5 vs the ones with i7s for a perfect example - the i7 adds four to five hundred dollars to the price despite the fact you can just buy an i7 3630qm by itself for like $120, swap it out and sell the i5 3320 that was in it for $70.

i7 on anything portable is a huge joke anyways.
the shit keeps heating up in literal seconds and then gets throttled down to speeds lower than a i5 or even i3.
i7 is such a fucking meme cpu.

Go fuck yourself. I'm going to sell my 3770k soon and I was aiming for no less than $185. Probably more. Stop underrating good tech just because it's old.

because your a nazi

Inertia.
2500k/3570k/3770/3770k used to be the lords of used market for years and years. Normies still think intel is all the rage and those used cpu still has as much value as 1y ago or whatnot. Buy in a community tech forum, you'll enjoy more reasonable and up to date prices. I'm only using ebay for used xeons. And even in that situation I found chinksites to be better suited.

jokes on you i got a i7 t420 with maxed specs for $175 :^)

And the good 1155 Xeons are over 200$. Stay away from 1155, t. user who gave up and bought a $60 3570 last month. Even 3570K goes past $80 at Ebay auctions.

Function of being the final-form CPUs for a large number of in use motherboards.

gz

Fun question:
Is it worth to "upgrade" from an i3 3220 to an i5 3470 for 60 bucks?

Would you actually feel a difference?

I can buy them for 100 bucks in my /cunt/...

Just went from i3-2100 to 3570, it halved my RTP in Overwatch to 10ms. Also browser scrolling noticeably improved, and DVB went to full resolution, I'm happy. The main issue is motherboard is 6 years old, and motherboards are mortal. End-of-life maintenance cost dilemma.

Because it's still a great CPU? It's not far behind the 4790k, 6700k etc. and if you're gaming at 1440p or 4K then there's literally no difference.

I don't plan on upgrading mine until it dies, mines at 4.5Ghz.

Hope it's a quadcore

Reply to this post or your motherboard dies in her sleep tonight?

Going from a dual core to quad core yes.

supply and demand

Complaining about a god damn i7? Look at Core 2 Quad prices send then bitch to me.

Any CPU which is the best option for its socket is always overpriced. 2600Ks are a lot cheaper, despite the tiny performance difference (non-existant once you take higher overclocks due to better thermals into account), because people see that Ivy Bridge is newer and want it based solely on that.

It's the socket compatibility. For some people, upgrading to the higher clock CPU available in their socket is all they want/need.

C2Q Exteme CPUs still fetch a pretty penny as well.

ogad pls no.

good 1366 boards are a living hell to get ahold of these days for a sane price.

LGA 2011 ones are even worse. It's the exact opposite problem to LGA 2011-v3, where the boards are getting dirt cheap, but the CPUs are still massively overpriced.

Was the same with the q6600

> dumb-dumbs
It's dum-dum, you fucking idiot, not dumb-dumb.

what the fuck is going on ?

i dont game and i bought an i7 920 3 weeks after it dropped and had a 25% percent overclock stable for almost the past decade

why are you guys so skittish trading bitching ??? Relax

artificial scarcity.
Nothing is stopping Intel producing this CPUs and Sockets, but as soon as new socket comes out they axe old production line, leaving demand but not the product.

>meanwhile an i3 3220 sells for fucking $15

that's hilarious.
the i3 3220 was actually really decent and older i5s or really old i7 that are slower sell for much more.

Good bless poo in loo and AM4.

>community tech forum
Could you recommend a tech forum to find used i5's/i7's for a decent price?

God*

>Referring to the candy instead of actually calling people dumb

Stupid fucking American.

If you trying to look smart, at least get the joke right.
Cretin.

How much performance could I get from overclocking an i5? I stupidly bought a 3570k when I have a B75 motherboard. Would it be worth spending ~$80 on a Z77 motherboard for at best a 15% improvement (and more likely 5%) when I could save up for a proper upgrade and get a guaranteed 20%+ improvement? 5% just doesn't seem worth it, but it's a decent chunk of change for an upgrade, considering I'd have to replace the motherboard and RAM.

Zero point. You'd not even get stock 2600K performance out of it. The i5 meme is dead.

>Backpeddling level: Retard

Go back to your shitting street.

wtf

i have a 3770k i should sell, just need to get my kraut friend to write the listing for me

Noooo

ThinkPad W520 with i7-2670QM doesn't have this problem, it heats up only to a bit over 70c and doesn't even make much noise and does not throttle under full load. W520 with only integrated graphics on runs really cool under normal use. No idea what would happen if the jewvidia card would be on, it has higher tdp than the cpu and it's fermi so i believe it would generate heat a lot.

My T420s with a i7-2620m heats up to over 90c and makes noise but it does not throttle under full load either despite being hot. Stop buying shitty laptops, i7's on these things don't have really other differences than higher clockspeed, they work fine. Also, I didn't buy them because "i7 is best!!", these units I got just happened to have them and had a good price

locally in my country these goes around 140-150euro, ebay is def overpriced for older tech most of the time

This. Instead get a Xeon E3-1220 or E3-1230

Maybe 15% behind 6700k.
Was criticized as housefire back then.
All but below average temps nowadays.

just checked the prices there few listings at 110euro for 3770, so ebay is definetally overpriced.

I have one of those and honestly I've never found anything it couldn't do (except for GPU passthrough, fuck me).
But fuck, after like 5 years these prices are still steep.

I was talking about the 3770K, the normal 3770 can actually do GPU passthrough.

my w520 throttles like a bitch under cpu and gpu load

i can get hands on a i3-4000M notebook for 170$ is that a good deal ?

Aren't ultra low voltage chips also labeled "i7"?

Higher number doesn't mean faster, it means more/better features.

same dies just better binned and more perfectly formed esp. cache wise leads to lower power consumption for higher overclockability

Not bad depending on how much RAM it has and if it's easily upgradeable.

it has 10gb ddr3 and a gtx860m

Just some backstory for anyone tempted to overclock ivy-bridge shit.

Was running 3770k for 5 years @ stock, good mb (z77a-gd65), good PSU (Corsair AX750).

Ryzen out, not sure if should sidegrade.

OC to 4.5Ghz. 1.25V ,temps below 80°C on prime95.

One month into it, sound loop freeze.
Won't boot.
Clear Cmos, boots, but unstable as fuck.
Now it runs at 3Ghz, with ram @1333Mhz (from 2133) mining ethereum with my 2 Rx480s.
While I shitpost on my 1600x.
It's objectively the exact same thing, but with 2 more cores. Maybe it will come in handy later on.

That's definitely worth picking up for $170.

thought so.
downside is he bricked the gtx gpu with a bios flash. but i didn't want to mention that here in a cpu thread. i will try to flash a older bios on it

Damn, no wonder it's so cheap. lol
If you can get the discrete GPU working again it'll be pretty good. I don't know anything about getting that going, though.

The fuck? How are Intel Core i7 "old"?

Sucks for you, man. I've been running my 2600K overclocked on a Maximus IV Extreme since near launch and it hasn't missed a beat. It was even at 5GHz for a while using 1.475V, though it's at a more comfy 4.6GHz/1.336V these days because I don't want it to die any time soon.

First-gen i7s are nine years old this year. That's ancient in computer terms. The fact that they're still perfectly viable shows how much progress has stagnated.

i7 on anything mobile is a scam. the mobile cpu is fuck slower than the desktop one

everything Intel is retro

Well said colleag- I mean coll, coo, coolio bro buddy man

It uses the old hardware backdoor which isn't as exploitable

lmao

No bully

youd be better off selling the 3570k and upgrading to a 3770 non k or a xeon 1270v2