Ryzen 1700x

I was thinking about assembling a desktop computer and have been reading about the AMD's CPU being a nice alternative to the Intel. What do you guys think ? For instance the 1700x vs Intel's 6700K ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2_T-wq8qQ
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stay away from Intel.

hm jewish processors

no takers ?

Unless you buy the $1000 8core/16thread i9, anything else wont make sense. Anything below that, the i5's & i7's, cost too much and lack cores/threads and pcie lanes.

If you have a direct need for performance, by all means you will pay good money for a good product. If your a casual gamer, content creator, Ryzen 7 is just fine.

The money you would have saved from buying a 299 motherboard, and the CPU itself can go into an nvme M.2 or an ssd or a graphics card or 2k/4k monitor.

What will you be using on your computer for?

You can get the 1700 (no x) instead and overclock manually.
The processor is great btw.

Let me get this straight, 1700 is gambling on the silicon lottery, while the 1700x and 1800x guaranteed high overclock?

Basically, yeah. Same with 1600 and 1600X.

Not as far as I know. It took me three clicks in my bios to get to 4.0 GHz. Using the Asus Crosshair VI Hero.

You would not credit the 4.0 GHz to winning the "silicon lottery" or the cooling method or the mother board?

On that note, did you use air or water and I heard a better mobo lets you overclock more, that true?

The motherboard is certainly made for it. And I'm using a mega fat aircooler. You can look up the Alpenfoehn Olymp, if you're interested.
But I refuse to believe that some chips just won't overclock to 4.0 Ghz, even when the Mobo and the cooling are right.

If you want craziest single core performance possible, get a 7740X, delid it, put on a watercooled and rev that bitch to 5.5ghz

you guys no longer believe that the AMD's cpu can become a toaster ? That's kinda of my concern...i hate heat and i didnt want to go liquid refrigeration

Nah Ryzen is very power efficient. It's not like bulldozer with the retarded TDPs.

Thats a good point. I have a massive noctua aircooler, will it not be compatible with new ryzen platform?

There are adapter brackets you can get from Noctua.

If it isn't already (check on the website), they will send you a free compatibility kit.

good. dam thing cost like 70 bucks. now i gotta make to buy short ram sticks.

Yes. Try 4.1ghz you need to bump the voltage to nuclear voltages. You think I'm memeing you but Ryzen really can't overclock for poo, not even 100mhz above 4ghz. Same story with ram. Anything past 3000mhz will cause you problems

What the hell is with all the stealth marketing and focus group about Ryzen and Intel?

> Anything past 3000mhz will cause you problems
I got my RAM running at 3200MHz 14-14-14-14-34. No problems so far.

G skill?

Yes.

Trident Z

No, Flare X.

>not rgb
Kys

>rgb meme
kys

Nigga u gay

so in conclusion, you guys think there's no longer any problem with the AMD's CPUs ? and that they can perform as good as intels

The 1700 is very decent. There are no ifs and buts.

>while the 1700x and 1800x guaranteed high overclock?

The 1800X is the only way to improve your chances. The 1700X is no better binned than the 1700 according to Silicon Lottery's testing.

In most cases, yes. Ryzen 7 is objectively better for the average consumer, even ones that would call themselves 'enthusiast gamers'. And also infinitely better for software developers, and productivity in general, with its 2x core count.

If you're gaming at 4k and on a 120Hz+ monitor, or running programs that are extremely CPU intensive (single core) or need high speed RAM compatibility (4000 MHz and quad channel) Intel is better.

BRUUUUTHHERR

ty mate

>The money you would have saved from buying a 299 motherboard

Really?the cheapest 299 mobo will probably be like 200 bucks

i don't really care since i already got a 1800x system, but yeah to be honest i was pretty interested about 299 and the equivalent CPU (100$ more expensive though) but when i saw the mobos and the jewing on the raid keys or whatever i just insta-ordered the ryzen system

with one of the cheapest X370 mobos(msi sli plus) and an AIO cooler(kind of stupid to go with an air cooler to be honest for such CPU) i got 4.0GHz stable,i'm just keeping it at this freq all the time since leaving the CPU with the auto freq doesn't work very well

I'm like 80% sure that if i had a better mobo(anything above the pricepoint of a Gaming 5) i could have stayed stable with 4.1 GHz in a cinebench test instead of crashing

Are you advising OP to put fire on his house?

You should be guaranteed to reach 3.7 on the 1700. It's rare to see anyone who can't, the same with 3.8. 3.9 usually depends on your voltage, but it's possible. 4.0 and beyond is a gamble. I can't reach that on my 1700, even at 1.44v. The best I can go on mine is 3.9 at 1.38v. If you want to take a chance with the 1700x, go right ahead.

Single core perf is a meme.

The way people benchmark cpu's got outdated the day AMD released 8 cores to the masses.

The moment you use more than one app at a time while gayming, your corelet cpu will shrivel and stutter under the load.

If yo leave your browser open, if you voice chat, if you play music in the background .... your single core perf will be rendered meaningless and the lack of cores will be a handicap.

The standard bang for the buck performance AMD build consists of a B350 motherboard, 1700 @ 3.8ghz and 3200mhz memory. You should compare this CPU to 6900k not 6700k. Intel is good only for 720p gaming, don't fall for the fps meme. The 1700 has enough juice and it can do every task involving many threads really well.

hmm yeah according from everything i've read so far that's pretty much it...Intel is better for 4K screens and one a time activities, and the difference is almost non existent...and the heat concern seems to be something of the past as well. So maybe, yeah, maybe the AMD starts to be something looking up to

I thought AMD, unlike Intel with their jewish cum, soldered the CPU lid to the die?
Wouldn't delidding such a processor irreparably damage the die?

7740X is an Intel CPU on their new X299 HEDT platform. youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2_T-wq8qQ

>Intel is better for 4K screens

not my science...besides i dont give a fuck about 4K yet

are there any know issues with the AMD's BIOS ?

So, lemme get this straight, for a filthy casual that wants a 7 but doesn't really care either way about overclocking, is it the 1700 or the 1700x?

Would've thought the 1700, but I read some random comment on here that due to some convoluted reason the 1700x was the better buy.

The 1700x is only better if 1) you want moar clockspeed than the 1700 (because you cannot into overclocking) AND 2) you can't afford an 1800x.

Welcome aboard

Idk why plebs keep saying the 1700x isn't better binned, it IS better binned.

Oh man, haven't seen this picture since piledriver.

get the 1700.

both can overclock.
x auto overclocks.

lol

There's been a lot of progress on BIOS issues since it launched several months ago. Things are looking pretty stable now.

>x auto overclocks.

The 1700 boosts as well - it just has a few more restrictions on it than the X models.

From uarch standpoint, there's no reason IPC should not at least par with Skylake-X/Kaby Lake X. Per Agner, back end is wider on Ryzen for the ALU, FPU, and vector SIMD (4 FPU/SIMD+4 ALU vs 4 ALU/SIMD/FPU), but half as narrow on the memory load/store, leading to higher memory latencies. The front end is also superior, believed to have a larger uop queue as well as a more compact decode that works with more L1, so in theory it should also decode way faster when receiving long instructions to the benefit of SMT.

Clocks are limited mainly by process, but it's good for power. SenseMI improves on Carrizo/Bristol Ridge's voltage gating. 1700 & 1700X both are nearly guaranteed 3.7GHz @ 1.3-1.35V. Voltage wall starts climbing fast near 1.4V and degradation is said to occur near 1.42V, some can get only 3.85GHz, others 4.1GHz. AM4 is a cheaper platform as well, has 4 extra lanes to Kaby Lake, and can OC on all platforms, but only X370 is recommendable for 8c OCs. On the other hand, 6700 has an IGP, and I think Thunderbolt on some mobos? DDR4 1T support is better too, but DDR4 timings positively effect IF latencies/bandwidth, resulting in faster L3/data access, which is good for data latency heavy/inter-CCX apps, like games.

The 8 core is $600. It's supposed to be a shot fired at the 1800X. A lot of the performance bonuses are from the clock speed jump (800MHz in boost clocks) and of course, quad channel DDR4.

A lot of people are saying go with Ryzen instead of x299, and for casual/amateur use Ryzen is fine. But keep in mind x370 is still a consumer board, with dual channel, 16 PCI-e lanes and ECC memory support is kind of wonky right now. If you're a professional who needs a workstation for serious productivity you would be better off with x299 or waiting for Threadripper.

yeah, stay away from Intel Kek

1700 vs 7700K is tradeoff. the 1700 has much better overall value but the 7700K outperforms it in some key areas.

I would recommend the i7 for a purely high-end gaming machine (eg 144fps) and the 1700 otherwise.

the 1700X is a bit more expensive and essentially you're paying extra for a chip that will most likely OC better. mine reaches 4.0GHz at 1.375v which is pretty fucking good. tons of people will tell you it's not worth it but personally I have no regrets.

>waiting for Threadripper.

64 PCIE LANES

It depends

For gaming purposes the 6700k definately, anything else, the 1700x

Yeah, that's awesome, I can't wait to see how it performs. I just wanted to remind people that Ryzen 7 is not a drop-in replacement for the 7800X, especially if you're talking about a computer you use for your job.

>7700K
4 CORES??? DRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUMMMMPPPFF

i see your meaningless tweet and raise you a $300m diversity fund

>I'm like 80% sure that if i had a better mobo(anything above the pricepoint of a Gaming 5) i could have stayed stable with 4.1 GHz in a cinebench test instead of crashing

dont make me post it you dumb tripfag

You don't even need a K version of an Intel chip to match that performance :3

If you are going to spend $300+ on a chip you should get an i7 and hit like 4.7GHz

Too late.

lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html

so both cpus fucking crash, somehow intel is btfo? no, they are both btfo you pajeet shill

Non-K processors automatically overclock.

Its called turbo boost.

FUCK YEAH
BRING IT AMD, CALL IT RYZEN 10
I'M GOING FULL ON 16C/32T AND SMACK A COOL 4/5K ON THAT BITCH

>4/5K
But highest end Threadripper is going to be only around $1000, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

your 'i'm a retard' schtick is getting old

ENTIRELY NEW BUILD

why does deciding on what ryzen parts to get have to be so fuckey?

have to buy specific memory to get proper performance and needs to be at least 3200mhz

>that price

Prices for components are retarded across the board at the moment.

Naw, retarded is looking at benchmarks where the non-K processors aren't running at maximum turbo boost and thinking AMD competes.

how long till every manufacturer of memory is "compatible"

Outside of AVX tasks how do you even get non K cpus to run at anything other than boost? Well, other than shitting on the fan so it overheats I mean.

Ryzen has XFR, you stupid faggot.

By Zen2 (7nm) probably.

Only the "X" Ryzens have that enabled.

Alright, thanks manks.
I think it's the 1700 for me then.

My 3200 Hynix based kit (cheapest 3200 kit on newegg) is working fine @ 2933 as of AGESA 1.0.0.6.

Non-X does have XFR, but it's much lower boost (0.5 GHz)

>Only the "X" Ryzens have that enabled.

Nope - the non X chips boost 50mhz but only when paired with a x370 board.

Are there any better air coolers other than noctua/212?

Why do AMD fanboys hate Trump so much?

cryonigs are meme coolers

Meme brand for ricers.

The older I get, I'm increasingly disapointed by people falling for common marketing tactics (corsair, allthe razer imitation brands, cryorig, etc...).

>Why does everyone hat Trump so much?
Maybe because he's the worst President this country has ever had and put the US on a path to Third World poorfaggotry irrelevancy in just 4 months.

This is what I currently use.

Speak for yourself faggot. He's better than obama already.

Better at being a senile old fool. Yes, you are correct.

Thanks for outing your taste for faggotry. Obama was and still is a pansy, just look at his mannerisms.

You shouldn't steal achievements of black people user, USA become a joke during Obongo presidency, Trump haven't done anything of importance yet.

>There are people like this who genuinely believe the executive branch has this kind of power and should have this power, but only if Their Guy is in office.

Take your central planning bullshit and fuck off to china.

>implying the US hasn't been a joke for over 20 years