/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread () is autosaging.

Ask stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread here. Remember to Bing it before you bring it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-ZT-P10600B-10M-Compact-Graphics/dp/B01KKJAJM4/?tag=logicaincrem-20&th=1
valid.x86.fr/yad3r8
deb.debian.org/debian/
deb.debian.org/debian-security
youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What anime should I be looking forward to next season?

What a shit book, it felt as if it was a magazine or something, never fully explained anything in detail just gave a brief table of contents on everything. Are there any books that are actually up to date that explain more about the essentials? Is it just trial and error searching the internet for solutions and hundreds of videos watching someone else explain concepts to me?
Why isn't there a book or set of books I can just consume knowing full well its all updated and I won't have to listen to someone explain things to me at their pace. I don't know how operating systems work and the tanenbaum book isn't enough

Will booting from an mSATA capped at SATA II still be faster than booting from a 7200RPM HDD at SATA III?

I'm using the router given to me by my provider. What would be the advantages of getting my own router instead of using their router? Are there any brands that are good?

stupid question here:

I have an overclocked x58 chipset cpu that has suddenly been generating more heat than it did before. I have been running a moderate OC of 3.8 @ 1.2v for many years, and suddenly, my temps get to 75ish Celcius at 100% CPU or a bit more.. up from the usual 65 @ 100% CPU. The only thing I really changed since the years have passed that I can think of that would do this is I added an AMD RX480 back in April, but I have a pretty good exhaust case fan with a high CFM, and an aftermarket cooler for my CPU which has always done well.

Yes, I've cleaned the dust and shit and do that regularly. I haven't replaced the thermal paste in three or so years and I think that might be it, but I dunno. What do?

tldr : my oc'd cpu used to hang in there at mid 60s Celcius, now it does mid 70s. It's not dust on the cooler fins, or air exhaust ports. Yes the fans are blowing in the right direction. It's not because Hyperthreading is enabled (tried to toggle both off/on, same shit).

Everything Sup Forums knows about gnu+linux is in the sticky.

I want to move from web development to more web design / graphic design. What would be a good course to take (online, not school)?

I asked /gd/ but that board is incredibly slow.

advantages are no rental fee (if you pay one), usually more configuration options for your router settings (if you're into messing with settings to your liking) like QoS which is handy if you share the internet with other people in the household.
If you get a Linksys, you can look into DD-WRT fimrware flashes which is perty good shit for a router when it comes to tweaking and doing neat things with your router that even stock third party vendors don't usually let you do.

Yes. The benefit of an SSD is not raw transfer speed (though they have plenty of that), it's latency. With an HDD you request data, and it takes several milliseconds to position the read heads and wait for the platter to be in the correct position. An SSD can respond much faster. And because booting involves reading lots of little files instead of one, big, contiguous one, latency improves matters much more than raw transfer speed.

are there potentially more security updates? For my router I get one like very year or so. also no rent for mine luckily, just had to pay one time.

>been using HDMI with my mac wtih U2414H at 1080p
>switched to mini DP to DP and the fonts and colours look sharper and better

what the fuck? Is there actually an advantage to using DP than HDMI when the monitor is the bottleneck or is this a placebo I'm experiencing?

Could a C programmer explain this to me.

Why is scanf("%d", &num); correct and not scanf("%d", num);? What's the significance of that extra "&"?

What stops any gentooman from making a script that would spam 'nigger calle'? Often Google only knows one pic, so you can put whatever as the other pic and they will accept it.
Given as how often 'calle' appears, wouldn't it be foolproof way to get past captcha?

Noob here. How do uninstall and then reinstall my mb chipset drivers? How do I know which ones I already have and which ones I will need?

Don't take my word on this, but:
scanf reads some text and wants to know "where to write it to".
Now if you were to give it the variable num, then it would receive whatever the variable num is storing, and nothing more. for example if num is = 3, then scanf would only receive the 3 and it can't really do anything with that.
What you do instead is use the & operator in front of the variable. This means it doesn't pass the content of the variable (for example 3) but the ADRESS of the variable (for example 0x123D56F)
scanf can then place its read text inside of the memory cell at the location 0x123D56F, where the variable content is saved at.
This results in the scanf text being the new content of num.

Can't find the stock rom for my phone/baseband anywhere. I don't suppose it's stored on the device is it?

Phone is SM-J320FN, baseband ends in AQA1

So, say I had a 250GB mSATA SDD at SATA II, loaded with my OS and programs and then also a 1TB 2.5" HDD at SATA III, loaded with files, would I see the most performance gain if I were to dedicate a percentage of the SSD as cache for the HDD, while also keeping a certain percentage of the SSD allocated for over-provisioning?

does anyone know how to root a metropcs lg k10? I've googled a bunch of guides but they're all written in sketchy second-language english and I'm scared of bricking my phone

ive flashed paranoid android to my nexus 10, and everytime i boot up the phone service crashes and tries to start and gets stuck in that loop. is there any way to stop it from trying to start the service?

Hard to say. An ISP might push through firmware updates more often (and if it's a gateway as well as a router, it's automatic), but that depends on both the ISP and the router's vendor. Overall, I would always prefer to have a third party router, if only for the ability to have more settings to play around with.

I'm new to C and I want to write a simple media player but I'm not sure where to begin.

A Centaur's Life.

>SDD at SATA II
>HDD at SATA III
Why?

Are there any brands that are Sup Forums approved other than linksys?

What paste do you have? It might have dried up, but some stay wet for longer times. I would probably repaste and clean your PC. Reading your post some more makes me think it's the paste that needs to be reapplied, or get better paste.

have you tried searching for the k10 on xda forums?

Because on my x220 the mSATA slot is capped at SATA II but the 2.5" drive bay is at SATA III. I'm using an HDD in there instead of an SSD because I need the 1TB of space and can't justify spending a large amount of money to get an SSD of that size.

Thanks. It's arctic silver 5. It really has to be the paste I'm thinking...but I hate doing this because I'm always scared of breaking something doing the cpu re-seating process. In your opinion, it's better to use too little instead of too much paste when reapplying, right?

ppl shit talk netgear sometimes but I've always liked hem for the most part. I, too, am partial to linksys and would get one if there's custom firmware available for it on DD-WRT.

Stay away from Cisco because it has major backdoors that were leaked almost a year ago and, as far as I know, they haven't been addressed because they're there for a reason.

so on my old phone I had this app from f-droid called frex
now on my new phone I can't find it on f-droid
how can I take it from one phone where it's installed and move it to another

mega poorfag and pc brainlet here, currently building my first pc and I'm thinking of using a gtx 1060 for my graphics card. which is better, a mini 3gb or a mini 6gb? the latter is fucking expensive but better.

Minutes after posting this I found it on a shit website called Alfafile. Fucking hate having to download shit from these shit nigger tier websites. Barely 50kb/s. come on man

all graphics cards are fucking expensive right now
wait for a restock or wait for the next gen and buy a used old one

I've learned that "0x" denotes hex numbers and "0b" denotes binary; Is there any equivalent for base-10 and octet? (Is "0." The base-10 equivalent?)

>Stay away from Cisco because it has major backdoors that were leaked almost a year ago and, as far as I know, they haven't been addressed because they're there for a reason.
Oh yeah, I remember those nsa/cia leaks lol. Thanks senpai.

fdroid hides incompatible apps by default, you could try disabling that option and try again

perfect thread for this question now:
What is it that caused them to spike in the last couple of months? I realize that it's from mining, but is it a a memecoin in particular that suddenly gained popularity?

Etherum or whatever that new shit is.

amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-ZT-P10600B-10M-Compact-Graphics/dp/B01KKJAJM4/?tag=logicaincrem-20&th=1

the 300$+ price is somewhat doable for me. how much of an impact will a 3gb do for my pc compared to a 6gb?

buttcoins and ethereum
because you can make like a hundred bucks a month mining with a cheap amd card

Is plain javascript ok for a text adventure game or is there a framework thatd help with this

how to choose framework?

im kind of learning as i go through my first web project.

that's like a 120 dollar card

I thought bitcoin mining was irrelevant with gpus because of those thousand dollar ASICs or whatever?

Figured it was ethereum but wasn't sure. T-thanks.

if you're smart you can still get satoshi for micro blockchain transactions
buy a beer every month

What's a good AM4 heatsink? It's a fairly simple question but after a few hours of reading I seem to be farther from an answer than I started. It sounds like some heatsinks are "compatible" but the install is either something involving precarious twisting motions or flimsy clips prone to detaching, or you'll be waiting around for "free" adapters on what look to be otherwise solid devices or you attach what you have horizontal (which doesn't work at all for my flow scheme).

There seems to be a lot of noise:signal on the matter...

Do I have to learn any other languages or CS shit if I wanna program AI?

What do you understand by AI?

or a pizza

machine learning

look at assembly if you haven't already

Most major languages have libraries. The most popular ones at the moment are Python and R

What's the best software for creating pixel art? Been looking at Aseprite and Pyxel Edit but I just want to be sure there isn't something better worth considering.

is there some way to filter videos by region on youtube?

Octal starts with 0, decimal is everything else. And yes, that can lead time some hilarious misunderstandings between you and the compiler if you like zero prefixing you decimal numbers for alignment in source code. It usually sees a 9 on the number and complains that it ain't valid.

How do I get my hardware to perform at expectations?

Built the PC over the years, exchanging parts here and then....

Noob question here:
How do I hook up the IBuyPower BB930 up to a monitor?

the SSD in my laptop (system partition) is at 58C all the time, I suspect because it's summer and it's hot as fuck everywhere

could it be the cause of slowdown in browsing and HD video? my CPU/GPU are at 30-50% load maximum yet everything is fucking stuttery and I can't even watch 1080p shit.

Thanks user!

Sometimes when I start a game the FPS would be very low, like 20-40.
I need to exit and relaunch the game and it would get fixed (up to 144fps on a 144hz monitor)

Its weird, it seems to happen on any game, even indie shit. Toggling fullscreen can fix it sometimes.
I have a gtx970 using 382.05 drivers on windows 7

The thing in the middle is called a graphics card, on it's backside should be a couple of ports (HDMI, Displayport and usually DVI). Use on of those connectors to connect you pc with your monitor.

post the speccy screenshot and/or a cpuz screenshot

Yes, could be but not likely. SSD's usually have a thermal throttle build in to keep it from burning your house down. Same goes for CPUs and GPUs, so eventhough they seem to be hardly in use it actually just might be the thermal throttle kicking in stopping them overcooking.

You could try to raise your laptop off of a flat surface in an effort to expose the bottom side to cooler air.

This is indeed probably caused by accidentally running the game in a windowed mode. Instead of restarting the game you could just try alt-tabbing. Usually fixes it aswell.

bottleneck might be loading stuff into memory and the way prefetch works (when it does work) is that the program should load faster after 1st run per reboot. Try benchmarking your harddrive to see if it's slower than its standard. You probably keep a close eye on vsync settings given your monitor.

I'll do that. I updated my drivers and I noticed the power preferences on nvidia control panel were back to default.

58C is a little too damn hot for an SSD, hardware-wearingly hot for an HDD. Check your SSD specs and see if the manufacturer lists a maximum operating temperature. For reference, you usually want your storage drives below 40 when possible. for better longevity.

Should I get a 1060 now that I can't find a 1070 or wait?
I hear the next Nvidia GPUs are coming early 2018

Wait a month if you can. Even if you're not interested in Vega. With the mining craze almost coming to an end availability will return and prices are bound to drop.

There's a large gap between the 1060 and 1070. Maybe by the end of July you might snag a 1070 for the same price you currently pay for a 1060.

1. Give me some suggestions on a PC made for video rendering

2. What's a good editing software to steal?(I'm currently using Windows movie Maker)

My Motherboard is dying and my 2600k is slow as fuck when I render videos.

Don't bother doing the HDD-caching thing. Just use your SSD for your boot drive and for whatever applications or games you care about having faster access. Partition it, if you like, to keep things separate. Put your anime collection and shit on the HDD.

Also the validation link from cpuz. If you dont trust the link, I can post a screenshot from the site.

forgot the link: valid.x86.fr/yad3r8

I'm willing to wait up to end of November. Close enough to maybe wait for Volta.

1. Anything based on a Ryzen 1700X with 16G of RAM or more. GPU doesn't matter much unless you want to play games.
2. Kdenlive, blender, flowblade, Premiere Pro, After Effects

>anime
I actually don't have any anime stuff but whatever. It's actually mostly documents and opencourseware-ish videos which I've saved for when I don't have internet access but need to study. I do have Berserk and Vagabond manga scans though...

How much will it cost to recover a laptop hard drive that wont power on?

It's only 2-3 years old and is a terabyte in capacity. Probably irrelevant information, but whatever.

I set a BIOS password for startup on my old laptop so that you have to enter it before you can get to the BIOS. I've since ditched the old laptop but kept the hard drive however, I can't seem to access it. It doesn't show up under /dev/ in Linux and when I put the drive in my new laptop, it prompts me for a BIOS password even though I haven't enabled one on my new laptop's BIOS. Even when I enter the password, it claims it's incorrect. How can I access the data on my drive?

What's a good graphics card to upgrade to? I have the nvidia GTX 650, so it's pretty old. I really don't want high-end stuff, just something that will get me out of playing everything on Low.

Thanks. Userbenchmarks includes overclocked cpus as part of the range that it compares users' cpus. It looks like the non K version, which is not ideal for overclocking. So even if they did things like force the maximum multiplier, or whatever other conservative limitations Intel set for their non 3770K, the boost is supposedly minor. I would take a look at the BIOS and maybe toy around with some settings like Speedstep, power states, things like that (not bus speed).

As for your GPU's performance, it looks like there is a mutual bottleneck somewhere in the system. I don't know if it's a thermal limitation, because the speccy shot shows okay temps at idle, but maybe run a temperature logger for both your cpu and gpu (something like OCCT maybe) while you are playing a high-resource game usage or otherwise edging at 100% cpu or gpu usage to see if there are spontaneous underclocks going on. If you try OCCT for this test, it'll capture a lot of stats changing over time like voltage, frequency, etc on top of temperatures. Good luck with your tweaks!

is there anything comparable in windows like alfred for mac with spotify, custom integrations etc? or does one really have to do one..

I just moved and took my computer with me. I've got it set up again, but there's no sound. Typically, I get sound through a pair of external speakers (or headphones plugged into them) since my monitor has none. But now there's no sound coming from them. I get sound if I plug the headphones directly into the tower's jack. The monitor is connected to the GPU with an HDMI cable, and the speakers connect to the monitor. I can't tell why this setup isn't working now when it was fine just a few hours ago.

How do I get GIFs instead of MP4s on Twitter? Ruins the fucking quality.

Tell me about the age of BBSs in the late 80s/early to mid 90s.

Is it true that it was a "local" thing? Meaning that, say, two people in Korea and Finland would not be able

to connect to a BBS hosted in, say, Canada?

rx580 at the start of july when new stock comes in

Just did an installation of debian testing on my old laptop, but for some reason screenfetch and neofetch both show debian 9 stretch.

I did a netinstall with a Jessie USB, then edited the sources list for testing lists. Here is my sources.list:
deb deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb deb.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src deb.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main contrib non-free

deb deb.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main
deb-src deb.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main

Is anything wrong with any of these lists? My understanding was that as long as I had testing written there instead of the distro name (stretch, buster, etc) then I should always be on the latest testing distribution.
Am I doing something wrong?

I have an i5-4460. According to Intel's site, it runs at 3.2 GHz and can boost up to 3.4 GHz.

I'm currently running at almost 100% CPU usage (decompressing and downloading files). I've noticed that in CPU-Z it runs at 3 GHz. On a couple of occasions I've seen it drop to 2.8 GHz for a millisecond. Speccy reports that it's 46 degrees right now, which isn't too high.

What's going on?

I've heard that you could, but it'd be very expensive since you'd be charged for the equivalent of an international phone call.

Stock cooler?
It might be throttling.

Nah, they probably just haven't bothered to update /etc/os-release or /etc/debian-version or whatever screenfetch uses.

>open a webm with sound in a thread page
>it's muted at 0 volume

>open this webm in a new tab or a saved webm
>it's at full volume

can i set them to last value like on youtube?
google chrome

My hard drive makes 10 sequential buzzing noises on start up then powers off.

Problem with the headers? It's distinctly a buzzing noise, not clicking, squealing, whining, or knocking.

Update, I've moved the speaker cable around and confirmed it works when plugged into the PC directly. So why the fuck is the monitor suddenly not taking sound?

Thanks for the (You). I know nothing about hardware so this is all new to me.

I've just tried running Prime95. It's running right now. Task Manager reports 99% CPU usage. CPU temperature isn't going above 56 degrees. According to HWiNFO all my cores are around 3120 MHz (x32 ratio, whatever that means).

I also don't know if this is weird but while browsing and installing HWMonitor and shit my system feels perfectly fast and responsive as you'd expect if I wasn't running a benchmark.

Is that abnormal? What's going on? I've noticed that Steam downloads (which use a lot of CPU) seem to rape my machine a lot more than they did a year ago and I think the reason I can't get 5 MB/s any more is because the CPU isn't running at full speed. Steam downloads eat a lot of CPU because they're compressed or something. Sorry for being a retard.

Also, in case I'm going to get shit about >Windows 10, I'm downgrading to 7 once I figure out what's causing this issue. I wanted to try it, though.

it's fucked m80. buy a new one and restore your shit from backups

>buy a new one and restore your shit from backups
I already have, but there's still some stuff on there I want. Not enough to shill out money for, but I'm willing to try some surgery on the thing for a goof.

Would something like vid related be a possible solution? Even as a shot in the dark?
youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg

when i search in google images the term "topless teen" then i get many pictures of topless girls obviously between the ages of 14 to 17. does google break the law showing me these pictures? they dont depict sex only nudity

how can I set a definitive keyboard layout on the i3 config file? everytime I log in it changes back again.

Google is run by a bunch of outlaw pedos but whenever they get taken to court they say "lel, too big to fail", and they are, so they get let off. ;_;