/ntr/ - Netrunner official Sup Forums browser

We are making a web browser!
PREVIOUSLY In the face of recent changes in Firefox and Chrome some anons were asking for a Sup Forums's perfect web browser, we collected the most wanted here and plan on continuing with the creation.

To contribute follow the WORK PLAN and get to programming!

>Teknik repos
git.teknik.io/eti/netrunner
git.teknik.io/gyroninja/netrunner
>Github Mirror
github.com/5yph3r/Netrunner
>IRC
Web cient: qchat.rizon.net/?channels=Sup Forumsnetrunner
Channel on Rizon: #Sup Forumsnetrunner
IRC guide: pastebin.com/YDbEWRHV

>TODO:
- Host project at savannah.nongnu.org
- Set bug tracker, website, and mailing list in Savannah.

WORK PLAN

1. Browse links2 source code (you can use Ctags for tagging functions and files).
2. Open API to future javascript integration (version 2.1pre28 of links2 had javascript enabled).
3. Expose API and give access to just about everything (scripting through executables is planned).
4. Give total control over the DOM, in the way of hierarchical folder structure referencing sites and subsites.
5. Implement a link grabber for every link and media type to be parsed by scripts and independent applications.
8. Create uncomplicated switch in the UI for security profiles and to saved in rc files.
9. Implement ncurses simple tree style graphics for bookmarks, tabs, security policies, etc.
10. Work in the framebuffer graphics rendering.
11. Add javascript support.
12. Add the rest of the features.

FEATURES

- Options by site.
- Granular control over incoming traffic like Policeman (more detailed than uMatrix).
- Granular control over outgoing traffic like Tamper Data or like Privacy Settings (the addon).
- HTTPS with the HTTP fallback optionally in a new instance of the browser with functions like HTTP POST disabled.
- URI leak prevention like "No Resource URI Leak" and no plugin enumeration.
- Local CDN like Decentraleyes and Load from Cache.
- Cookie management like Cookie Monster.
- Option to turn off disk usage for all data (cache, tmp data, cookies, logs, etc.), and make cache read only.
- Randomizer for user-agent and canvas fingerprint.
- Custom stylesheets like Stylish.
- Userscript support like Greasemonkey.
- Proxy management like FoxyProxy.
- Simple switch to universal profiles to be used like blocklists from uBlock, or like Privacy Settings.
- A configuration file like Lynx for universal profiles.
- URL deobfuscation like "Google search link fix" and "Pure URL".
- Search customization like surfraw, dwb or InstantFox Quick Search.
- Reverse image search like Google Reverse Image Search.
- Use external applications to open links, like using a video player with youtube-dl and MPV, or for text input with a text editor, and for protocols like ftp and gopher, or as a file picker.
- Send commands to the background to be optionally displayed in an optional interface, as to use wget web crawling feature like a DownThemAll, and to use and watch other batch commands.
- Simple emacs-like keybindings for the menubar by default for new users.
- Keyboard driven with dwb features like vi-like shortcuts, keyboard hints, quickmarks, custom commands.
- Configuration options from an integrated command-line.
- Non-bloated smooth UI like dwb.
- Import bookmarks from browsers like Firefox.
- Written in C.
- Low on dependencies.
- GPL v3+.
- Framebuffer support like NetSurf for working in the terminal (TTY).
- Actual javascript support so we can lurk and post in Sup Forums.

all of your logos suck. even /gd/ think they're awful, and that's coming from /gd/.

What is the status of this? I want it bad but am too retarded to help

This. Me desu

that's a great logo
take it back

FAQ

>Where is the download link?
Until a few features are completed there is none, unless a dev wants otherwise.
>Will it have an adblocker.
Yes.
>Will it have tree style tabs?
Yes, but not up in the priorities.
>Will it be crossplatform?
Already is.
>Will it it have vim keys?
Yes.
>Will it have "graphics"?
Yes. We are planning to run the program in terminal using the frame buffer for graphics, but Links2 also comes with directfb, X server, SVGA and other graphics drivers.
>Why teknik.io?
We plan on moving to savannah.nongnu.org. There is a github mirror too.
>Why links2?
Enough features and the API seems more friendly.
>Why not netsurf?
Good rendering but not for DOM updates, plus dependencies gave problems.
>Will you use a separate javascript engine?
We're debating this.
>Will you use a separate layout engine?
We're debating this.
>Will you use netsurf layout engine?
Might be a problem because of the DOM (not enough information).
>Will you use webkit/blink/servo?
No.
>What logo are you going to use?
We liked all so far.

4U

No code has been written sinse the initial commit.

VAPORWARE

Much progress has been made, read the other threads, a lot more if you help

chrome shill bait, ignored

I use icecat.

How can I help, I know a little bit of ruby on rails :^)

Me too, so stop fucking around and help nigger

Egas in all fields for this bait.

>ruby
you can help by killing yourself :^)

consider the following:
Implement an intelligent caching system with user defined policy (something like an adblock filter list) for files downloaded based on filename/url.
*some files are not to be downloaded, but served from local cache only (except for manually initiated update procedure), like decentraleyes
*Download files and:
-retain them indefinitely
-retain them according to a policy specified by the server (so don't use them for a second time if the server says don't do that)
-retain them only till the end of the session
-retain them only till their tab is closed
-retain the file only till it is in use
-retain the file only till it is in use and keep it in memory

The most autistic board and the 2nd worst overall (behind Sup Forums) on the site?

Those faggots opinions don't matter. I'm surprised their still around, I popped my head around, came back months later same exact threads still there.

>implying Sup Forums can program

I like your ideas and I am not the only one, I think is already agree on put them to work

>Aqua
Dropped.

Is this the netorare general?

>Is this the neato general?
Yes

>last commit was days ago not even a real commit
why did you even make this thread? i want to help but it looks like the project was doa. i guess thats to be expected with a shit logo.

Started to get the renderer actually rendering the DOM tree.

You guys seriously need to make a bug tracker and a way to monitor progress.

I fap with every update desu

How can I help? I can write shitty C but can't read it, if that makes sense.

I would love to help somehow but without a formalized TODO I have no idea where to start. After reading some pieces of the js file I learned nothing

Under what license will the documentation be, and will these threads also be under the same one? It's important for free software to have free documentation.

Can you map the code with ctags and skip the js part?

Great idea, lets make documentation FDL

so I assume you guys are going to use the V8 javascript implementation?

there's no way this project would get anywhere if you tried to implement html5, css, and javascript all from scratch.

>implying Sup Forums and Sup Forums are worse than Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /fit/, /r9k/, and /soc/

>it's another Sup Forums learns why the industry standard application is so "bloated" (i.e. has features) episode

I have no problem with this if V8 is small, efficient, and GPL friendly

Website is already set, also all js development in the work plan must move to late stages when the engine is decided

Added h1 through h3 so we can render more of this site. You'll also notice that the text rendering is slightly better, before it used to slightly chop off part of some letters.

Why are Netrunner threads so desolate now?

Most of the shitposters have given up on insulting it

>FDL
CC BY-SA is less bloated for reusers and much simpler to comply with.

Almost no programmers, four forks.

The only thing Sup Forums cared about was the name and logo.

Also it's too decentralised. The IRC doesn't help

I recommend the OP make a Discord server. Then the unskilled can pretend to make a contribution and discussions on specific issues can be made more accessible than stuck in the IRC server.

this

and now he's back

t. too scared to have an anime girl bent over as their browser icon

Added a basic implementation of list elements. I also made the text wrap if it goes off screen (it currently just moves to a new line if the next character is going to be at least partly offscreen)

Looking good man, well done

Netsurf is going to finish faster than netrunner at this rate.

Great, more options against chrome and its shills

>a browser started 10 years ago is farther in development than a browser started a week ago
Nice analyzation friendo

Almost two weeks actually, this tuesday will be the 2nd week of development and the thread that started on the 13th. Feels like this project has been around for a month.

>Aqua
Dropped harder than the A-bombs.

fuck off

>Using worst girl as your project logo
Even fucking yun yun would have been a better mascot.

Then start drawing motherfucker

So much happened in this week famm

If anyone think people from Sup Forums are writing this you're deluded

Why are you guys still pretendin this is a thing?

Chrome is a perfectly working alternative and I haven't had a single issue.

I hope you all crash and burn.

If you thought chromeshills were gone, you thought wrong

>chrome spy browser
>sjwfox browser
>weebshit browser
Is there an end to this hell?

Then why the fuck are you in the thread?
>I hope you all crash and burn for daring to develop something that I, personally, don't see is necessary or useful
Get over yourself

Because you dumbasses are wasting your time on this meme project which will never go anywhere when you could be contributing to Firefox or something actually useful.

Wrong

Until Firefox stops me from visiting Sup Forums, this "sjwfox" stupidity needs to die. AFAICT there are no political statements of any kind in the browser.

This isn't done from scratch and everything is a contribution to an already existent codebase, your argument is invalid

>Implying
Also, maybe they are developing this because they don't like where FF is going. Just FF is open source doesn't mean they can just contribute to the main branch and get what they develop into it. FF has a mission goal that that mission goal doesn't align with what the developers on this project want. Therefore, they develop their own browser. Again, you're upset because they are doing something that you see no use in. Get over yourself

I have a lot of questions about what is happening in this thread, anyway keep with the good work guys, we need this

A few years back I've written my own web browser.
What's wrong with current browsers?

Too bloated, forcing users into deprecating features the users use regularly, less and less control over the browser in the name of security. Lack of features users actually care about, eg: native and extensible ad blocking, tree style tabs (I'm unsure about that one but I've heard it mentioned in these threads I think), and other features that users prefer over things like updates to make sharing pages you read easier.

Triggered neo-cuckservatives aside, what are some actually legitimate reasons that Firefox is not worth using?

Hmmm, this looks familiar.

I'll work on the logo

N E W L O G O S ! ! !

kek

Why are we constantly changing the logo?

See: It's just a difference of opinion, design goals etc. But if that is what you're going to bitch about you should be bitching about people not using whatever first browser was ever created, since difference of design and implementation goals isn't a valid reason to make something new.

You guys, are wasting your time.
Just install Chrome, and relax for once.

>ree muh botnet
Stfu, you baby.

You expect everything..
to be handed to you, for free?

It's a cold world out there, children.

So, is the project dead?

protip: sandbox

>"Wahhh, why don't you use chrome"

t. butthurt chrome shills

>- Randomizer for user-agent and canvas fingerprint.
Will it be as advanced as in Tor browser?

If all the suggestions are implemented then yes

I was just asking for update and you called me a chrome shill when I don'even use it.

>Weeb logo
That's it. Enjoy your dead project.

Weird you miss

What kind of sandboxing do you suggest? Cutting out HTTP fallback to a separate instance and control over data storage are two goals. I am not sure something of the scope of a separate filesystem or alike will be included, this can be done by users in many ways like pointing data storage and cache there.

>trusting software made by Sup Forums users
might as well infect yourself with lostboy.exe, Sup Forums.hta, Anonymous-OS or tox.
and make sure to whitelist ekansovi while you're at it. nothing to hide, nothing to lose.

>nothing to hide, nothing to lose

I think simple ports routing is achievable for using Tor and i2p, I beg you consider it

I don't want to be an asshole here but do people here seriously think this will work out? This will probably be insecure, slow, and barely functioning at best.

>In the face of recent changes in Firefox

This likely is related to the support for legacy addons. If you really want to maintain Firefox legacy addons the best way would be to fork 46 when it releases and backport security patches.

Even starting with WebKit is a better idea despite even I think "yet another WebKit browser" is getting old.

Servo will be great probably but it's still too early for Servo.

I don't see any mentioning of open source anywhere.

Sup Forums botnet browser to steal basement linux neckbeards neetbux

Will it be written in assembly?
Will it support multiple (also old/legacy) architectures?

>webkit
>servo
No

It is open source, you mong

>It is open source
>decide not to mention it
sure thing hacker known as 4chink

>assembly
The fuck is wrong with you

>No
Amazing argument

You're an idiot

If you like webkit why don't you use dwb?

heh, neetrunner

Do you really think you'll finish this by september when webextensions become mandatory?

>WORK PLAN
>Open API to future javascript integration
No, thank you.

Thank you for the free bump motherfuckers

are you retarded? all they've done is copy the source code for links and traced over some anime someone else drew and colored it in for the logo