Warning advisory for broken hyper-threading on Intel Skylake/Kabylake CPUs

INTEL BTFO

>This warning advisory is relevant for users of systems with the Intel
processors code-named "Skylake" and "Kaby Lake". These are: the 6th and
7th generation Intel Core processors (desktop, embedded, mobile and
HEDT), their related server processors (such as Xeon v5 and Xeon v6), as
well as select Intel Pentium processor models.

>TL;DR: unfixed Skylake and Kaby Lake processors could, in some
situations, dangerously misbehave when hyper-threading is enabled.
Disable hyper-threading immediately in BIOS/UEFI to work around the
problem. Read this advisory for instructions about an Intel-provided
fix.

lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xah84cJwdxE
phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/processors-memory/955368-some-ryzen-linux-users-are-facing-issues-with-heavy-compilation-loads/page7
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>This advisory is about a processor/microcode defect recently identified on Intel Skylake and Intel Kaby Lake processors with hyper-threading enabled. This defect can, when triggered, cause unpredictable system behavior: it could cause spurious errors, such as application and system misbehavior, data corruption, and data loss.

>It was brought to the attention of the Debian project that this defect is known to directly affect some Debian stable users (refer to the end of this advisory for details), thus this advisory.

>Please note that the defect can potentially affect any operating system (it is not restricted to Debian, and it is not restricted to Linux-based systems). It can be either avoided (by disabling hyper-threading), or fixed (by updating the processor microcode).

>Due to the difficult detection of potentially affected software, and the unpredictable nature of the defect, all users of the affected Intel processors are strongly urged to take action as recommended by this advisory.

>The only reason to buy an i7 over an i5 is broken

Wew lad, what an embarrassment. Can this be fixed with a BIOS update?

Sure it can, just hope your motherboard actually gets the fix.

According to the advisory the only fix is either to update the CPU's microcode or disable hyper-threading.

>Buy a i7 k
>intel says not to overclock
>intel says not to use hyber-threbing
wew lads

I don't get this thread.
On my Arch Linux cpu microcode gets updated with the rest of the system. Debian stable is obviously affected because it is a stable, security updates only distribution (for windows users: think LTSB), and as this microcode update is a security update, it should receive that too.

Is Windows incapable of updating the cpu microcode?

How is that related to motherboard firmware?

There are two ways of updating microcode, through the OS, or through BIOS.

The former was done on Windows, but only for specific SKUs and not for Kabylake yet, but Intel hasn't put out a microcode update for Linux yet for this issue.

So you're either stuck waiting, or waiting even more for BIOS updates to come from vendors to include it.

>made a second thread on this exactly the same as the first
you got btfo in the first one op because you were too retarded to read your own link showing this has been fixed already. unlike ryzen being unable to boot esxi

>ITT
>Lets find reasons to hate intel because there arent enough

listen i hate intel. i do

but this bug doesn't manifest in 99% of cases of normal use.

you fuck heads are reaching and exaggerating. Again.

swear to god i feel like im back in the womens bathroom in high school around here sometimes with the made up stretched truth bullshit that gets flung around.

but i have arbitrarily projected that intel are jews and i am an insecure piece of shit who has to post out of my ass to feel good for a fleeting moment. ebin BUY RYZEN!

>It can be fixed by updating the processor microcode

Wow. It's literally nothing

>6th and 7th generation
I'm safe.

That is not true; there is a microcode update out packaged for Linux already. Check for updates to intel-microcode package (Debian)

Did you say the same thing for samshits note 7s? It was a rare chance after all.

As usual, you're misinterpreting the facts on purpose.

sometimes when you run an OS that holds less than 1% of market share, hyperthreading will break is NOT the same as sometimes when you charge the phone.

fuck off im not deliberately downgrading my 6700k to a 6600k

>but this bug doesn't manifest in 99% of cases of normal use.
>billions of operations per second
>>don't worry, go- customer!
>>it's only 1 percent of those!

Again, purposefully misinterpreting.

This problem only happens with Debian, because Debian is a shit fuck OS.

Read the advisory. There is a Linux update and I installed it in a couple of minutes.

Read the advisory. Not limited to Debian. Not limited to Linux-based OSes. It's a problem with the way the CPU executes certain sequences of instructions. Any program containing those instructions may be affected.

Read the advisory. Debian stable already has had the update backported to it.

Daily reminder that intel won't do anything about it

So if I have an unlocked skylake i7 6700k on an windows 10 64-bit operating system I don't have a problem?

Yes, you do, unless Microsoft has included the microcode update in its update channel. We don't know yet whether this has happened.

The issue is not limited to Linux

Maybe you could try reading next time instead of misinterpreting the facts

1% of for a userbase as large as Intel is quite a large size.

Those if there's 100,000 sky/kaby i7/xeons, then that's 1,000 people affected by this bug.

>muh linux microcode registers
nobody cares nerd, its why you have motherboard updates turned on so other nerds can patch it
its almost as thought modern computers are fickle pieces of shit that arent perfect

Sorry to ruin your fun, but that's just Linux being a piece of shit once again.

It's F00F all over again, and incuccs will defend it.

You would crucify AMD for fucking years over less. This actually matters and is a serious design flaw.

Take a fucking hike you stupid faggot.

It's not, I've already installed the fix. It took minutes.

>just fire the validation teams and pretend thousands of erratas are the norm
>nobody cares nerd, its why you have motherboard updates turned on so other nerds can patch it
Good luck with MB vendors releasing updates for 3 year old products, and enjoy your bricked mobo from the MB vendor being incompetent as fuck
Not yet, just another preview to the final fuck up from Brian

Sure but it doesn't affect you or anyone you know.

These guys are running an extremely specific compilation for 30+ minutes or after only a few seconds when running the same compilation in parallel.

Unless you are compiling some specific part of a specific version of ocaml in multiple VM's on one server you would generally not hit this bug.

Meanwhile if you leave your AMD rig alone for 20 min and it goes to sleep it doesn't wake up. That's a real problem. :)

youtube.com/watch?v=Xah84cJwdxE

>Meanwhile if you leave your AMD rig alone for 20 min and it goes to sleep it doesn't wake up. That's a real problem. :)
Yeah, keep lying dumb tripfag

it's okay m8 you'll always have r9k

Hej Ugion

Kill yourself, tripfag.

But AMD has a similar problem, but it's triggered primarily by GCC.

phoronix.com/forums/forum/hardware/processors-memory/955368-some-ryzen-linux-users-are-facing-issues-with-heavy-compilation-loads/page7

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546.html

Also remember to filter the tripfag.

why filter him? he is the sole reason i come here to laugh

> mfw I still have no issues on Windows 10 Home
> mfw my i5 6500 is working like a charm

a cpu lose the entire reason for being its nothing
a cpu puts to sleep and doesnt wake due to buggy power profile ITS THE END OF WORLD

Pretty sure the issue he's referring to was something at launch that's been fixed for months now.

It affects all systems though user

When's the last time that Windows users complained about it? That's right, never.

No one's ever complained about it before, baka. It was a vastly unknown issue that was only recently bought to light by a small team of researchers. It helps to read every once in a while you know