For day-to-day (non freetard) use, should I use Debian or Arch?

For day-to-day (non freetard) use, should I use Debian or Arch?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Debian.

Arch.

Void Debian.

I want to get arch on my macbook air (dual boot). But I'm inexperienced.

Debian. Arch is for people who want to seem cool by having to repair their system at least once a week.

Gentoo or Slackware

That's impossible

arch-anywhere

no matter if you are experienced or not, it's the best way to install arch today

can you repeat the question

debian sacrifices everything, even usability, in the name of stability.

Can you explain in detail how, or are you just parroting memes like Gentoo having a "powerful" package manager?

Arch is better because it has more up to date software.

stable serves firefox 52, and doesn't update it until the distro upgrades.
this is a trend through the system.

Debian.
When ever somebody says arch you should arch your back and walk away.

Read the wiki you fucking illiterate faggot
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac

>day to day
>get stuff done

use debian

>tinkering for interest

use arch

I3wm or sway if you use wayland

debian only if your getting stuff done doesn't require software written in the last year.
and sway's still fucked over.

Arch. It has more software because of AUR and it's much easier to manage packages on it because pacman. Compiling from sources on debian is pain because of outdated repos.
Le update break is just a meme.

Whatd wrong with firefox 52 esr? I use that on my windows install too

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac
It says here it's possible.

Thanks, a guy on youtube also recorded himself doing it, imma buy some external hard drives for all my shit and a pen drive and get on it.

What kind of technology does'nt allow you to see things in red ?

A red visor.

Nani?!

Arch doesn't seem a bad fit for a home computer which I'd use on a regular basis, all I do is check the arch homepage once a week or so to make sure there is no manual intervention required (generally just a few simple steps) before updating. Haven't been using it long enough to judge its stability but for over two weeks now I haven't had any serious or time consuming problems past the first hurdle of setting it up.

I never liked the idea of rolling release distros before and worried about having issues with stability, but the appeal is that I don't have to worry about migrating to a new version of the OS or trying my luck pushing a huge upgrade which could break a lot of things since you are always up to date.
As for the debate on whether having the latest updates is a good or bad thing I don't know, it is possible for new bugs to be introduced breaking things but at the same time you gain access to the latest fixes and features.
I wouldn't use arch on more than one system or a home server though, having to babysit several systems sounds like a pain in the ass. Debian is an obvious choice if stability and minimal upkeep is a priority, especially if I have to leave said system unattended/upgraded for a long enough period of time to cause issues if you were on a rolling release distro.

For general use debain sounds like more of a pain in the ass to setup if you wanted certain proprietary software like codecs and what have you. Arch has a pretty massive repository including AUR (a bit iffy about using it though since it is not officially endorsed try to keep its use to a minimum), but more importantly the arch wiki is quite thorough and insightful covering a vast amount of topics in depth.

Gentoo

Manjaro > Arch

>sway if you use wayland
Did you manage to get this working smoothly?
Still wonky on my end, when I open a lot of windows it slows down the entire system.
Tried way-cooler as well, that was snappy but doesn't have multi-monitor support yet.
The only wayland DE I could find that supported monitor rotation was GNOME, got sick of it after some extensions caused system to segfault and logout of my session.
In the end said fuck it and went back to i3+XFCE

this shit again?
fuck you

So what's the problem?