/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - NO POLITICS EDITION

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile-stream.com/easytether/android_faq.html#linuxsetup
raw.githubusercontent.com/pixelb/ps_mem/master/ps_mem.py
packages.debian.org/search?lang=pl&searchon=names&keywords=libmagickwand-6
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Windows_installed_in_UEFI-GPT_Mode_menu_entry
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump for good thread

how does one get good with vim? is vimtutor really the best way, I suppose learning through practice is the best way to do it, but i'm using qutebrowser to try and get a hang of vimlike commands

Eeee, that's a little backwards. At least it will get you used to mashing ESC if you are in doubt about what mode you are in. And you can use ctl-e to write your shitposts in vim!

try vimtutor it's not bad, then check various vimtips online

Do you prefer GTK or Qt based DEs?

>where systemd fits in to the stack
Yet they clearly don't bother too much about sticking to 'system daemons'. What's stopping them from trying to dictate the whole userland?

I agree with you.

Reposting because I had already written it out when some braindead mod deleted the other thread when we had finally managed to have a constructive discussion about something technology related.

---
That is a bit of an overboard reaction.

The SystemD project hasn't given any indication of a desire to make their own compiler toolchain or binutils. But Poettering did say he wants systemd to serve as, among other things, "The glue between applications and the kernel" which sounds suspiciously like a libc.

If systemd does turn out to be so much better than anything else available at the moment then it could easily be argued that it would be more important to linux based operating systems than the GNU project (now, not historically obviously). Because everything (at least major things) that the GNU project puts out has competative alternatives, but in that scenario systemd wouldn't.

You are welcome to provide a counter argument more substantial than "You are all ignorant and stupid".

Wait so can I Xerox that book without any legal repercussions?

You mean Qt or GTK programs.
I like GTK, because the theming seems easier. I don't even know how Qt theming works. I know it has styles, but where do you install them and are they exclusive to Qt4 or Qt5 or?
Functionality wise, you don't realize notice a difference as a user.

holy crap compiling firefox takes long

Lmao both of the old threads died

Oh yea, Firefox is a huge ass piece of software

M-Manjaro

*tries to contain laughter*

Pfffhtttt... Haaa... Manjaro *snickers*

Manjaro forums are down

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

*gasps for air*

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Are you 13 y/o?

I wish

And it eats memory like a bitch. Is chromium better?

I changed my resolution to 320x240 for shits and giggles and now I can't change it back because I can't press the apply button. What do?

Run xrandr in terminal and set res there

Using up 800MB of my RAM?! How dare it?!

Why do you think a different browser browsing the same website will give you different results? Why do you think that the potential 50MB of RAM you'll "save" will make your computing experience better? Why do you want to have unused RAM? Do you know what RAM is for and why it's logical to have things in it for faster access?

Learn to move windows with alt + left click.

That's cool, thanks

It's mostly because websites themselves are huge nowadays.
You cannot open something like Facebook and expect to have low RAM usage. It's just how the site works.
But you can try for yourself and compare the mem usage on different browsers.

You can probably also use alt + right click to resize - this one's a big help because, unlike the title bar, resizing widgets are often tiny and hard to grab.

is emulating windows on qemu+kmv with pci passthrough a viable solution for gaming?

I haven't got a spare GPU myself but I have heard people swear that it is just fine. If you can get it set up. There are links to guides somewhere on the arch wiki and the linux_gaming subreddit.

You do lose some performance though so I suppose you will want a recent graphics card.

I just installed parabola GNU+linux-libre with openrc on my x60 and I just realized wifi-menu doesn't work. What do?

Can I fug your boipucc?

Ok so I stupidly fucked up again. I chose a resolution higher than my monitor's, thinking it would automatically revert after like 15 seconds like on Windows. It didn't.
Now I can only use the terminal, however, when I try to change the resolution using xrandr commands, it says "can't open display". What do I do now?

no

Switch to a tty, remove any config files set by your desktop environment when you changed resolutions.

Good idea. Edited the xfce config file and now it's all good. Why is Sup Forums so much better than all these Linux forums? I've read through several threads and I didn't find a solution

>it says "can't open display"
Pograms that do X-related stuff use an environment variable to know which display to work with. When running them outisde of an X environment, you need to supply that variable yourself. in the case of xrandr, I see it also takes a --display option, so you can probably use that too.

Either way, the display is probably ":0.0". Try passing that as the environment variable $DISPLAY, or using the --display option. It should work™.

In fact I just went ahead and tried, it works.

xrandr --display :0.0
env DISPLAY=:0.0 xrandr

Both work in a TTY. Glad you fixed it already anyway.

Lxqt seems promising.

vlc doesn't read files or even launch on Arch after update.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall. Anyone with same problem?

Finally figured out a mutt configuration I'm comfortable with using.

At last I can remove the last remaining piece of Shitzilla software on my installation

I want to remove \n from every odd line.

I know that sed '1~2d' removes every odd line, but I don't want the line to be removed. I want the \n of the line to be removed so the even lines would be right next to the odd lines.

How do I go on about adding that into that sed command?

Actually I looked it up, seems like paste -s -d' \n' does it. But there is a space. I guess I can pipe it into sed again and remove that space.

Nevermind, tr -d ' ' did it lol

I want to use easy tether on linuxmint 18.1 but i dont know how to set it up.can someone help me?
mobile-stream.com/easytether/android_faq.html#linuxsetup

Help with what? You posted a tutorial for it didn't you?

Is there a way to make htop less verbose and to report a single program's total RAM usage, without splitting it out by process?
It almost makes me miss Windows Task Manager, that shit was clean and easy to understand at a glance if some program was being a faggot.

Before systemd you would just set usb0 to be dhcp but that has probably changed now.

Nevertheless, I don't use easy tether but it like like it just use the normal USB tethering protocols, so just look up how to do usb tethering with you os or de.

>but user, i dont understand what the words are sayin.

Start it from a terminal emulator and see what it says.

this:
Alternatively, you can grab the appimage for VLC and use it until your package maintainer pulls his shit together.

>install network manager (probably already have it installed)
>turn on tethering on phone
>click on the connection in network manager that shows up when you connect your phone

Shit nigga, it works on my shitty dumphone, it should work on your fancy smartphone as well.

K hides kernel threads.
htop shows you resident memory per process.

You can use utility called ps_mem.py to check memory usage per program.

wget raw.githubusercontent.com/pixelb/ps_mem/master/ps_mem.py
sudo python ps_mem.py

what browser are you using?

w3m (i shit you not) for text stuff aka majority of my browsing.
iridium for 4swamp and multimedia.
chromium for botnet services like google accounts.

Caveman here. Just got a Android phone from a friend and I'm wondering if you guys know if there's a way to use this thing in freedom (or at least as far as it gets). Any hints?

none at all.

How can I speed up my boot time? it's over a minute long right now

[]$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

[]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 9.543s (firmware) + 3.503s (loader) + 928ms (kernel) + 3.891s (initrd) + 56.433s (userspace) = 1min 14.300s

]$ systemd-analyze blame
21.472s akmods.service
17.466s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
14.933s dkms.service
11.311s plymouth-quit-wait.service
8.450s firewalld.service
7.628s systemd-journald.service
6.530s systemd-udev-settle.service
5.515s accounts-daemon.service
4.603s libvirtd.service
4.585s dev-mapper-fedora_definer5\x2droot.device
4.276s lvm2-monitor.service
3.567s lvm2-pvscan@8:19.service
3.176s systemd-journal-flush.service
2.978s polkit.service
2.671s abrtd.service
2.458s NetworkManager.service
2.068s dmraid-activation.service
2.040s network.service
1.911s ModemManager.service
1.293s chronyd.service
1.204s fwupd.service
1.185s abrt-ccpp.service
1.059s sshd.service

>w3m
My nigga. w3m is superp.
- nice for paging
- nice for ebook reading
- nice for html2texting
- nice for browsing
- nice for viewing pictures
- made by anime girls from japan
Let's all love w3m.

systemd-analyze plot > something.svg

upload the svg to somewhere or convert it to png and post it.

reinstall

networkmanager.wait it the problematic one, it stalls the booting for >15secs

there are plenty of google results to fixing that wait (usually by lowering timeout), check those.

Out of curiosity I measured the performance of my 10 year old laptop running sysvinit (not parallelized). 18 seconds from grub to login.
I wonder how fast it would be if i put an SSD in it.

Anyways, describe your machine more senpai, is it a desktop or a server?
Throw out anything related to plymouth, it's just this silly fedora logo that fills up on boot time, completely fucking irrelevant waste of resources. To disable it you have to remove rhgb (redhat graphical boot or something like that, look it up) flag from the grub boot up script

>4.603s libvirtd.service
You're using a VM? How often? Maybe starting libvirtd manually when you need it could be a better option?
>1.204s fwupd.service
What the fuck? Isn't fwup just a bios firmware updater? Why does it run in the background?
>1.059s sshd.service
Server or a desktop? If a desktop throw it out immediately friend.
>2.671s abrtd.service
When I used to run fedora I removed it. It's a botnet to collect info about crashed software so you have an easier time filling a bug report. If you don't fill bug reports, you don't need abrtd.

I have no clue what akmods and dkms are for, my wild guess is nvidia drivers, am I right? So you probably need these.

Also can some greybeard share his insight on why NetworkManager is such a slow piece of dookie?

thanks m8. but even without that, shouldn't it be faster? i am seeing boot times

on youtube, someone did some benchmarks and the performances were ~95% of windows's

some games like borderlands 2 were even faster while running on windows+kvm than on native windows (i am not sure but i think it's because the filesystem being used being better than the windows one)

best music player that isn't mpd+something?

cmus/moc

it heavily depends on the phone. but it won't be GNU/Linux.

it's a desktop but i SSH into it remotely a lot so i can't throw out sshd.service.

i never use vm and i dont even know why i have it running

I think fedora workstation comes with Boxes(gnome libvirt frontend ) by default.
remove that.

>all those "non-standard" services
No wonder.

]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 11.057s (firmware) + 1.479s (loader) + 934ms (kernel) + 3.852s (initrd) + 33.758s (userspace) = 51.082s

]$ systemd-analyze blame
10.240s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
7.507s dkms.service
7.105s akmods.service
7.064s systemd-journald.service
5.884s dev-mapper-fedora_definer5\x2droot.device
5.723s systemd-udev-settle.service
4.723s plymouth-quit-wait.service
4.388s lvm2-monitor.service
3.784s firewalld.service
2.971s systemd-journal-flush.service
2.385s libvirtd.service
2.235s lvm2-pvscan@8:19.service
2.196s accounts-daemon.service
1.868s fwupd.service
1.798s dmraid-activation.service
1.556s gssproxy.service
1.409s ModemManager.service
1.113s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d4a8d4ba\x2d408d\x2d4967\x2d9b
1.070s systemd-udevd.service
1.035s avahi-daemon.service
954ms systemd-random-seed.service
940ms chronyd.service
880ms fedora-readonly.service

which ones can i lose without losing basic functionality? the desktop doesnt have any special boot up requirements, other than sshd

if you dont use lvm, disable that.
if you dont use libvirt (boxes, virt-manager) that too.
plymouth too.
ModemManager

>i am seeing boot times

audacious with winamp classic gui

Yeah buddy, cause virtualization daemon, lvm services when you don't use lvm, shitty graphical bootup for god knows what reason and NetworkManager proving to be an absolutely garbage piece of software are absolutely essential to normal functioning of a desktop operating system.

systemd was supposed to be THE fast init system and it's speed is hailed by hordes of redmumbai shills as the single biggest advantage of using it for your average user. When it boots like a 15 year old WinXP shitbox it's time to reasses these statements don't you think?

here mine
user@devbox~> systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 8.024s (kernel) + 9.620s (userspace) = 17.645s
user@devbox~> systemd-analyze blame
3.595s systemd-journal-flush.service
3.317s dev-sda2.device
2.256s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2[...]
2.240s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2[...]
2.087s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2[...]
1.728s systemd-journald.service
1.355s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2[...]
963ms mnt-neko.mount
888ms systemd-logind.service
864ms dhcpcd.service
864ms alsa-restore.service
600ms systemd-modules-load.service
520ms systemd-udevd.service
428ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
404ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
374ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
373ms systemd-sysctl.service
275ms [email protected]
275ms upower.service
234ms systemd-binfmt.service
223ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
222ms dev-mqueue.mount
221ms dev-hugepages.mount
216ms systemd-remount-fs.service
210ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
210ms systemd-hostnamed.service
204ms boot.mount
166ms home.mount
154ms systemd-networkd.service
135ms systemd-random-seed.service
131ms systemd-timesyncd.service
101ms kmod-static-nodes.service
78ms dev-sda4.swap
75ms mnt-newvolume.mount
73ms systemd-update-utmp.service
38ms mnt-doran.mount
31ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
16ms systemd-user-sessions.service
5ms tmp.mount
2ms sys-kernel-config.mount
user@devbox~>

I'm trying to compile windowmaker on debian 9 and autotools is giving me this error:
with pkg-config and MagickWand-config - are you missing libmagickwand-dev package?
but I have that installed, any ideas?

packages.debian.org/search?lang=pl&searchon=names&keywords=libmagickwand-6

libmagickwand-dev in stretch is a dummy package

>when it boots like a 15 year old WinXP shitbox it's time to reasses these statements don't you think?
why are you blaming systemd for a shitty config now? if you fill your init with garbage, it will boot like win xp eventually.

does it happen after
apt-get build-dep windowmaker
?

windowmaker on debian does not have svg support (that's what need imagemagick) so build-dep doesn't install what's needed for that, that's why I'm trying to compile it myself.

reposted for visibility

So you have a physical location for a bootmgfw.efi? Good.

I'm just guessing at this point. No. I don't think moving that file is a good idea. According to the GRUB wiki entry, /run/media/name/###/Windows/Boot/EFI could be the proper location for W7's bootmgfw.efi. I wouldn't know though.
>These two commands assume the ESP Windows uses is mounted at $esp. There might be case differences in the path to Windows's EFI file, what with being Windows, and all.

If you can locate the efi file, just add a GRUB entry with the adapted path and point it there and see if it works. Use the example entry from wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Windows_installed_in_UEFI-GPT_Mode_menu_entry and adapt it accordingly.

If that works out, you can try to retrack the steps to install GRUB in arch very carefully to see if the script messed up. If you can't manage to make auto-config work, try to find a way to make it honor your manual config for W7.

If none of that helps, remove GRUB, follow follow wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems to install it again and try to auto config it.

I don't care about systemd, but just a reminder:
when people say that systemd boots faster they are talking about that systemd can start services on parallel which usually means that's going to boot a lot faster that sysvinit, if the services can not start on parallel, (because they need to wait for other services to start) they arent going to be magically faster.

>NetworkManager proving to be an absolutely garbage piece of software

1.292s NetworkManager.service
on my computer.

>le works on my machine
sure thing friend

>thinking speed is the only reason for systemd's existence
>using the speed layman meme

Speed is only cited by absolute retards who know nothing about it as one of the reasons to use systemd. Even laymen like myself can tell that.

>laymen like myself
Then why do you opinionate?

Like I said, systemd alleged speed is always quoted by lennart's drones
>average user doesn't want to deal with init XD
>systemd handles it for him XD
>it's fast mon XD

Just whom or what do you suppose you're arguing against? Your post does not contradict that user's. It's time for a nice cup of tea.

I keep hearing that nobody likes Unity.

What's so bad about it?

Guys I have a headless Debian 8 torrentbox that I keep somewhere and untouched for a while. Today I tried to do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and I get the following messages.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
base-files libcomerr2 e2fslibs e2fsprogs libudev1 udev initramfs-tools libsystemd0 systemd systemd-sysv libss2 libpng12-0 libcairo2
libgtk2.0-common libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-0 python-crypto debian-archive-keyring tzdata vim vim-tiny vim-runtime vim-common wget w3m
ca-certificates libfcgi-perl
Install these packages without verification? [y/N]

What do I do? What caused this?

the pgp key probably expired since debian changed stable.
Just download a new key mate.

Amazon botnet

We're using GoogleDrive at work, but we want to switch to Seafile.

What are the best solutions to keep both "database" in sync (there is people who will continue to use GoogleDrive for some months) on Raspbian or Ubuntu ?

Right now I have google-ocalmfuse to mount GDrive on a folder, RClone to pull GDrive on another folder, and SeaDrive to mount the local Seafile in a folder.
I've tried Unison, FreeFileSync, RSync with ignore, there is always a failure somewhere in the process and it takes a fuckton of times.

>2017

That's funny, usually I fix, not cause, package authentication problems with apt-get update.

The suggested upgrade of debian-archive-keyring supports that other user's theory. My apt-key shows some keys generated on May this year, maybe you're missing those.

If you don't want to upgrade unsafely, you can fetch those keys from a keyserver and then feed them to apt-key.

Do apt-key list, note the email addresses of your expired keys, then do gpg --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --search-keys $ADDRESS to find newer versions of the keys. Add them, then export them from gpg to apt-key with

gpg --export $KEY | sudo apt-key add -

error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-glib-vpn.so'
error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-glib-vpn.so.1'
error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-glib.so'
error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-glib.so.4'
error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-util.so'
error: file owned by 'lib32-libnm-glib' and 'steam-native': 'usr/lib32/libnm-util.so.2'

I'm getting this whenever I run pacman, it seems benign but I'd rather not have lots of error messages in my terminal
anyone know a fix?

How do I know which ones are expired?

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
--------------------
pub 4096R/521D8275 2016-04-28
uid Christian Svedin
sub 4096R/B3AF3087 2016-04-28

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/deb-multimedia-keyring.gpg
-------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/65558117 2014-03-05
uid Christian Marillat
uid Christian Marillat
uid Christian Marillat
sub 4096R/B508B3D7 2014-03-05

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-automatic.gpg
----------------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/2B90D010 2014-11-21 [expires: 2022-11-19]
uid Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (8/jessie)

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-security-automatic.gpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/C857C906 2014-11-21 [expires: 2022-11-19]
uid Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (8/jessie)

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-stable.gpg
-------------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/518E17E1 2013-08-17 [expires: 2021-08-15]
uid Jessie Stable Release Key

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-squeeze-automatic.gpg
-----------------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/473041FA 2010-08-27 [expires: 2018-03-05]
uid Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (6.0/squeeze)

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-squeeze-stable.gpg
--------------------------------------------------------
pub 4096R/B98321F9 2010-08-07 [expires: 2017-08-05]
uid Squeeze Stable Release Key

Removed last 2 entries cause too long.

There don't seem to be any expired keys. Connection errors with the repos can cause authentication errors like yours. Do you see any connection problems in the output of apt-get update?

Do those unofficial keys correspond to repos currently active in your sources.list? They'd be prime candidates for having gone down and causing these errors. I've also had this problem with official debian mirrors, too - they can have their downtime sometimes. You can always switch to a different mirror if that is the case.

change permissions on affected files

Oh yeah that's it, my local repo a shit, I switched to .jp and it worked.

Thanks man!

Heh. I've been using German repos for years because my country's are also garbage. Glad you got that fixed.

If i add a user with adduser on ubuntu, will the user be able to break anything, or is he already safely restricted?

it depends on the groups you add him to and how you defined your sudoers