/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

do I need surge protector for RJ45?
outlets and dsl rj11 will be protected
but it seems rj45 surge protectors are not that common

Are aio liquid coolers better than aircoolers?

yes, but not by much assuming higher tier aircooler
there are also drawbacks
- pump noise
- pump will break and you can toss it out
- danger of puncturing/leaking

air cooler is a block of metal that will work forever as long as you can mount it, and when fans die, you buy new one for $10 and go on..

I've just unbricked my router via telnet failsafe using md -r erase rootfs_data. Which I assume resets it.
Should I reflash the firmware? just to be safe or is it fine.

depends on how your bricked it
if you bricked it by puting some new firmware then yes
if you bricked it by playing with some settings then no

alright thanks. I guess i just leave it for now and see how it goes. I was seeing if I could use my backup settings with the new firmware. Didn't really want to manually input everything again. Found out the hard way. but it worked in the end.

Is there any way to get animated gif preview in windows explorer?

I've had a nic die from a power surge before and my new surge protector has rj45 on it.

mine died few weeks back
plus adsl router
plus graphic card on another PC
new surge protector comes with rj11 for telephone wire dsl modem protection
but I am wondering if I should keep looking for some surge protector with rj45 for the other PC

out of the box
unless by preview you actually mean showing whole animation
which I think wont work
they wont even do animated gif in build in picture viewer

>surge protector with rj45
your ethernet network is all internal-only, what would a surge protector protect you from?

the thing that killed my build in NIC last time
but I guess if it did came through telephone rj11, and thats surgeprotected it might be unncesseary

but cat5 cable also snakes outside house walls few meters...

I want to try out bitcoin, just for experimentation really. Seems to be all the rage. Figured I'd get a premium account at a DDL host I use alot.

So I got my wallet, and I was told to buy coins from coinbase. I set up an account and whatever and they want my bank information? Isn't this supposed to be anonymous?

nothing about bitcoins is anonnymous
every single transaction is public record...
you need to get bitcoins from anonymous source
to get some level of anonymity

though I believe there are services that for fee anonymize your bitcoins
you put in bitcoins, they mix it with other bitcoins and then send them to some address your give them
then nothing ties you to that address that got all those bitcoins

Why is the factory tint setting always too high?

So I'm sitting with a PrestaShop database and need to JOIN three columns with SQL. I get the right results when I only run one LEFT/RIGHT join, but I need them to join (I.E the other columns not being NULL)

Running this only gives me ps_product_lang.name and the others NULL
SELECT ps_product_lang.name, ps_product.id_product, ps_product.reference
FROM ps_product_lang
LEFT OUTER JOIN ps_product ON name = ps_product.reference
UNION
SELECT ps_product_lang.name, ps_product.id_product, ps_product.reference
FROM ps_product_lang
RIGHT OUTER JOIN ps_product ON name = ps_product.reference
Am I missing something here? I have a feeling it's something obvious, but I'm not experienced with SQL queries. Already tried UNION ALL and putting parentheses around the queries.

I want to play vidya gaem at 1920x1080, how many inches my screen should be?

24"

This morning I started my HP laptop like normal and started my browser. When I hit F12 to turn off Airplane Mode, it instead popped up the page source across the lower half of the screen. In fact, all the buttons on that row are acting like I have the Function button held down even though I don't, and there is no F-lock on this model.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

go to bios, look around, some option might be there about hotkey mode, or function keys or something

then there are notebooks who have led that shows which mode is running, on/off is like fn+Esc or fn+F1 or something

maybe some driver update fucked you up...

what if i want to play 720p?

you dont

I want to install some distros in a virtual machine. My laptop has a Pentium B960 CPU. I googled it and it said that its architecture is x86-64 (that's the same as AMD64, right?). I downloaded the .iso for this architecture and booted from it in the virtual machine. However, it says that the machine is unable to boot because my CPU's architecture is i686. What do I do?

the VM itself is set to only support a 32bit cpu

your host cpu is irrelevant, your virtual machine is configured with a 32 bit cpu

shameless self-bump

should I ask in /wdg/ instead?

What if I have a 64-bit computer?

see and

do you understand what a VM is and what it does?

My question is: will it work and, if yes, how?

yes, it will work, by configuring the VM to use a 64bit cpu

change the architecture to 64bit for the VM

Yes, and I understand that a VM can't do anything about the CPU architecture. But a website told me that my CPU is x86-64 and the VM tells me it's i386, and the distro won't run.

I use VirtualBox, for Linux the only option is 32-bit

>I understand that a VM can't do anything about the CPU architecture.
i'll take that as a "no, i have no idea what a VM is"

VM stands for "virtual machine", and it is essentially an emulated PC, as such, the cpu this "machine" uses can be different from the host's real cpu
in this case, your VM has been configured with a 32bit "virtual" cpu, which your guest OS doesn't support

this is not true

Bitcoin tumbler is the word you're looking for

you have a 64 bit capable cpu with, presumably, a 64bit os

when you configured your virtual machine you explicitly gave it (or rather ignored the defaults) a 32bit cpu

so when you try to install a 64bit iso on your virtual machine configured with *a virtual 32-bit cpu* the iso booted from the *virtual machine* only sees the *virtual* 32bit cpu with a *virtual* 32bit instruction set

either use a 32bit iso or reconfigure your virtual machine to emulate a 64bit cpu

(and as a note the cpu isn't technically emulated but when you configure the virtual machine with a 32bit cpu it's only using 32bit instruction sets regardless if the host cpu is capable of providing 64bit instruction sets)

How do I avoid getting my job outsourced to India within few years?

bomb the indians

Why are IT jobs being outsourced to India instead of to China?

by focusing your carrier on jobs that are harder to outsource

english is official language there
getting chinese to learn english is much more difficult

There is no 64-bit option for me

do you have virtualization extensions enabled in your bios?

This thread has surpassed my level of competence

My laptop's charger is always disconnecting and reconnecting, but only when the battery is in, when it's not, the charger works fine.
Does that mean the battery, the charger or the connector is broken?

Top 10 questions science still can't answer

why are you even trying to install linux on a virtual machine on a 6 year old laptop, just bare metal that shit

if you want to get this working just get a 32bit/i686 iso and expect slightly worse performance because you will be emulating everything rather than having some instructions run natively

last i checked, virtualbox can only software emulate a 32bit cpu, and for 64bit support, it needs hardware accelleration, which is often an option that can be turned on and off in your system firmware (bios/uefi)
why it's not always on, i don't know, in fact, i've seen it off by default more often

just go into your bios/uefi and look for "virtualization", "vt-d", "vm", etc

>slightly worse performance
more like immensely worse performance
the fact that 64bit isn't showing up means he has accelleration turned off

OK NEVERMIND
i double checked, and your cpu DOES NOT SUPPORT VM accelleration
seriously intel? a 2011 cpu with no VM accelleration? what the fuck.

enjoy your slow as balls 32bit vm. just dual boot

I've got two spots for fans on the bottom of my case, two on the top and one in the rear

Would it be better to have 4 intakes on the top and bottom and the rear be exhaust, or the two bottom be intake and the top and rear be exhaust?

my guess is your battery is fucked

>Write CloverOS to USB with UNetbootin
>Fails to boot
>Write CloverOS to USB with dd
>Fails to boot

???

Lubuntu, Arch, and Bunsen just werked, as well as a broken SourceMage iso write.

How do I make a bootable CloverOS USB werk?

make everything intake

so I actually just googled your cpu and it doesn't support vt-x, what vt-x does is allow virtual machines to run cpu instructions natively instead of having them be emulated

what this means to you is that virtual machines can only ever emulate a cpu, and in the case of virtualbox you cannot emulate a 64bit cpu (other virtual machine software *might* be able to but I wouldn't recommend it unless you *absolutely* need a 64bit vm)

basically, you're stuck with 32bit virtual machines if using virtualbox

>why it's not always on, i don't know, in fact, i've seen it off by default more often

there is some slight security risks to leaving it enabled if you're not using it but in practice it's nothing to worry about

it's mostly just because bios firmware manufacturers tend to go for more failsafe defaults especially on lower end boards (being a pentium cpu it's most certainly the lowest end motherboard)

>just go into your bios/uefi and look for "virtualization", "vt-d", "vm", etc

it's almost always going to be listed under "virtualization" and/or "vt-x", if the cpu and motherboard do support vt-d it either comes under the virtualisation option or has an option of its own next to vt-x, I've had a bios update which puts it under its own option where previously it was only under the regular virtualisation option

oh you motherfucker you beat me to it

but yeah the speed is going to be shit, never actually tried running virtual machines with vt-x disabled before

>but yeah the speed is going to be shit, never actually tried running virtual machines with vt-x disabled before
unless he was planning on using 20 year old software, he really doesn't want to software emulate his cpu

and yea, i got vt-d and vt-x mixed around, not used to modern intel stuff
and while virtualbox doesn't support software 64bit cpu emulation, there's no technical reason for it, you can emulate a 64bit cpu with other software, such as QEMU

Hey Sup Forums here's a tricky one:
How do I make all word versions display the same way one doc file?
>inb4 install gentoo

word doesn't support word documents

wtf does that mean?

exactly what i said, a word document made in one might not look the same with another version of word, therefore word does not support word documents

40+ PCs
Cisco ASA5520 + Cisco catalyst switch, without fancy modules for blocking shit

How can i block HTTPS websites like youtube and facebook?

another machine that has a proxy server installed to filter requests ? seems too much.

suggestions?

Block port 443?

>How can i block HTTPS websites like youtube and facebook?
easymode: DNS block
normalmode: DNS + IP range block
hardmode: filtering https proxy (this may be illegal depending on area and circumstance)

I already knew that.
Look this is sqt not stupid answers thread.
How do I find the solution though?

either stick to the same version of word, or use another word processor

It'll break banks and payment systems as well, not good.

1. Requires setting up a server on Metal, i don't have extra metal, just shitty NUCs and two Cisco's.

2. same as 1, IP range blocking isn't consistent and tends to break.

3. still requires more metal that is capable of processing all this, but i like the idea, seems simple, establish a connection, you know who the destination is, then all traffic is encrypted.

Can't be help i think, i need more good Metal?

Perhaps Squid is fast and small enough to be installed on every NUC without raping resources too much?
a lot of manual work but maybe it's worth it

you could do something like having port 443 traffic alone routed through a machine that just does https proxying/filtering

I'm taking intro to cs this upcoming semester, and java and c# as well as calculus the semester after. I want to apply to the Explore Microsoft program for 2018, but when I apply, do I tell them more like, "will be completed?" How soon after applying will I interview(if I make it that far)?

can i make an egpu using 2 mpcie instead of 1?

hmm

How do I put some Eclipse features into sublime text (or any other recommended text editor)? (autocomplete, Ctrl + left_click, ...) I like how Eclipse finds the shit I'm using.
(C++ and Windows)

google for some recommendations
but C++ is one of those languages that benefits the most from a solid IDE

Is this SSD dying? What is its actual condition?

what are some recommend USB 3.0 to SATA Docking Station that aren't shit on ebay?

Bringing () from the old thread.

Anyone know? Can't find shit about this on google

how do I send digital information through radio? where do I start learnin?

Can a faulty cat5e cable cause high ping to *some* servers?

Best Android emulator besides Jewstacks?

no

android studio

the one at the bottom is the "status bar", and can be turned off from in "folder options"
not sure about the top one

don't. try opensuse tumbleweed

Thanks

>the one at the bottom is the "status bar", and can be turned off from in "folder options"
That option enables/disables this one though. I already have it disabled normally.

Why should I use opensuse tumbleweed?

I was torrenting some films to an external hard-drive when I suddenly unplugged it without unmounting/ejecting it.

I was downloading 5 at the same time, but most of them were rather slow. I plugged it back in immediatly and the torrents resumed downloading as normally.

How likely is it that they're okay? Many of them were very slow, large torrents that had taken me an entire day to get to 50% so I'm reluctant to just delete them and start over again.

Also I was seeding some finished torrents from the drive, is it possible/likely that some of these have been corrupted?

force a recheck on anything that was actively being downloaded

>taken me an entire day to get to 50%
you call that slow?

its bleeding edge with less blood.
if you want more stablity, try opensuse leap

Why is email used for creating accounts everywhere? Why not just unique username and password?

How do you clean your computer? The spray cans of compressed air don't do the job, and I don't want to buy an oiless air compressor.

How do I remove keyboard markings on the screen? I've been thinking of using a 50/50 water and acetone mix and softly wiping until they're gone.

Tried the BIOS thing, didn't work:(

How do I get a job at a data recovery center? What kind of certification and training do they typically require? Is it possible to just intern or apprentice without prior credentials?

Set me on some sort of path towards that job if you have any knowledge about it because I currently don't know where to start.