/w4v/ - Daily Wait for Vega Thread - Frontier is Near Edition

This is where we wait for the latest AMD graphics card which AMD will surely release in a timely manner and will definitely blow all of our minds, no questions asked, 100% guaranteed, no chance it'll fail, just you wait.

The latest:
pcworld.com/article/3202659/components-graphics/hands-on-amds-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-vs-nvidia-titan-xp.html
youtube.com/watch?v=D5GcpYA7_wY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZW7cLF34jkU
videocardz.com/70480/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-preview
videocardz.com/70465/msi-damn-rx-vega-needs-a-lot-of-power
videocardz.com/70440/amd-announces-radeon-instinct-mi25-specifications

Other urls found in this thread:

semiaccurate.com/2017/06/26/amds-epyc-lots-connections/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like that they're pricing it at $1200, which has a lot of opportunity to unseat NVidia's Quadros which are typically much more expensive.

>To approach the performance of the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition with an Nvidia product, you’d have to step up to at least a $2,000 Quadro P5000. A P6000 card, which is kind of the professional equivalent of a Titan Xp, is nearly $6,000.

>Our original estimates after seeing Radeon Vega Frontier Edition with Sniper Elite 4 at Computex still hold: The cards appears to be faster than Nvidia's GTX 1080 and close to that of a GTX 1080 Ti card.

Shills screeching it's the same/worse than a 1070 BTFO.

Out in 2 days, inb4 inb4

>1080-1080ti performance for 1.2k USD
OY.

This isn't Vega RX you cuck.

wrong. quadro has a $700 model which is better for solidworks than vega

Model? Specs? Benchmarks?

And AMD has a polaris model that's better as well, your point?

youve clearly not used solidworks, have you?

Yeah, it's actually better

The point is these cards don't have pro drivers like quadro or WX.

Nothing about Frontier Edition is specifically optimized for gaming. They've already said RX Vega would be better for gaming, not worse. You shills are just fucking relentless with the negativity and assumptions.

so who is going to use these cards?
no one here in my office is even thinking of these.
we use a lot of solidworks (aerospace design).
and we all have 1080 and 1080tis at home for gaming. whats the use of FE?

I hope they keep their promise on making all their cards a single-slot design. Also, throw in good Linux support, and I can see a lot of people buying those even on day one; or at least just for the aesthetics.

Have you reserved your card, desu?

The fuck if I know, ask AMD.

It has fp16 at double rate at least, meme learning and content creators? That's what their site says.

sorry, didn't mean to come off as rude, english isn't my first language

>fp16

Probably this, nVidia limits double rate half precision to the obscenely priced cards, and even those aren't 26tflop

Who else here losing hair?
I'm on R5 1600 @3.9ghz
3200mhz ram
500gb ssd
and

hd5750

COME ON AMD RELEASE THE SHIT NOW FUCKING KEK BE PRAISED DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Me except
R7 1800X
32GB 3200
128GB NVME M.2 OS
512GB SSD SATA Programs
1Ter Black aux and bigger programs
4Ter data

And

Sapphire RX480 8GB Nitro+

Situation not so grave as you but I'm tryna do 1440 on this bitch

>KEK BE PRAISED
back2reddit

55fps+ is easy with 390/480 nitros

unless 55 fps really bugs you I wouldn't upgrade for a while

Oh yeah I have no problem hitting around 60 in most games, forgot to mention I use a 144Hz Freesync monitor that I really enjoy having at full framerate. The 480 is fine, but I'm not making full use of my hardware. Monitor was bought for windows performance and for future plans for Vega but this is taking too long.
Obviously I'd be buying RX Vega not Frontier. Not sure if I am getting a reference or 3rd party card either.

Basically the same, except I just caved and got a Fury X

Basically all I'll need until I get a 1440p 144hz monitor instead of a 60hz one. If the $499 or $599 gets 1440p at 144hz I'll probably resell the Fury for i.

>1700x
>16Gb 2666 RAM
>GTX "Cuck" 970

I just want to get a 4K monitor

Not to mention I have other plans for the 480 (NOT CRYPTOMINING) and have fairly deep pockets, the 480 was really an impulse buy as at the time I was on an R9 270X that was getting long in the tooth. I bought it as a placeholder until I could complete my Ryzen/Vega rig. 480 originally paired with 8350 and a 60Hz monitor but I've been rolling parts and pieces into it over the last year like bigger PSU, better cooler, better fans, faster drives, etc, eventually Ryzen got popped in, now the last piece is Vega.

So i can buy a card for the price around a 1080 for a performance around a 1080

Exactly why the fuck shouldn't i buy a used 1080 instead?

We don't know anything about pricing for RX Vega, and RX Vega will be better for gaming than FE anyway.

Who gives a fuck about single slot, it's a 300+watt tdp card.

R5 1600x @4ghz
3300mhz ram
and

hd5850

t. Pranjeet

t. leather jacket man

i dont care about frontier edition wod about muh gayms

Later you ungrateful gaymen faggot.
t. Raja Koduri

um excuse you

I could've been enjoying a 1080ti by now but I got cucked by Freesync. At this point I'm all in on Vega even if it's housefire tier.

Any aftermarket 1080ti is also housefire-tier, sasuga GPU Boost 3.0.

>not making your own hybrid

pleb

Porkshoulders edition?

1080ti is also housefire, but nobody cares since performance speaks for itself
if vega at least 1% faster everyone going to lose their shit how terrible it's TDP is etc., it will matter SO MUCH all of a sudden

well as a casual content creator I'd love to get a workstation grade GPU with a consumer price tag.
ps kids buy GPUs too you know, there's a giant market aiming at dirt poor kids/college students and that's where Vega will shine. check the annual steam survey, I bet my ass less than 10%of the gamers have the latest and greatest 780/980/1080 ti models. Vega will be aiming at the 90% who cares about price performance ratio and aren't retarded enough to shell out 2000 on a pc component.

>We don't know anything about pricing for RX Vega
Post YFW 1080 Ti performance at 50-75% 1080 Ti prices

calling it right now
>productivity that shits on anything nvidia
>gaming perf that ranges from 1070 tier to above 1080 Ti in ideal circumstances
>no halo product, no perf crown
>does OK price/perf wise until volta shuts it down

What mh will Vega have

>4k freesync 2 when?

Fuck you samsung, fuck you.

>until volta shuts it down
A year from now?

>muh volta
That bigger die shit isn't going to cut it in consumer GPUs. It's going to be 10-15% faster than Pascal if you're lucky.

Water cooled Vega will be $700, non Water cooled full chip probably $600. Then cut downs from there with the 1070 competitor being $450

>Water cooled Vega will be $700
sauce me bro. That's still a bit cheaper than 1080 Ti's

Why are you guys hyped for Vega, miners will buy all of them before they hit the shelves anyway

>1070 competitor
>$450

nope, you get the 1070 in germany for €380 in sale, if vega sells for $450, it would cost at least €500. nobody would buy them. if it's >$350, it's DOA

>Source : his ass

No one knows how much they are going to cost, nothing has been released, people are just speculating based off of previous products and the upcoming Frontier cards

>he hasn't heard the word

Is the crypto meme finally coming to an end?

You are forgetting about miners, if 450$ is actual price for RX Vega, then it would sell like hotcakes.

miners can't use Vega because it uses HBM

The Nano is one of the best cards for mining

ETH is crashing so, possibly yes.

I love it when normies think miners disassemble their rigs every time there's a dip

I just want SR-IOV ;_;

And I was feeling bad with my 7870

the limitation was the 4gb and nothing more

now that vega will ship with 8 and 16 well you better preorder one before

how much time would one of these high end gpus from nowadays last at 1440p 60fps?

Miners don't, but people who wanted to make some quick dosh will be panic selling like crazy

>yfw crossfire 480's for 200 bucks

GTX 960 here, sold 580 to hungry coiners for easy bux. Vega is the next life.

I mean you could buy a RX 580 and play 1440p on high for the next few years honestly. GTX 1070 will let you play ultra settings until at least 2022

and for how long could I surf on a 1080ti at ultra settings disregarding gimped drivers?

At 1440p 60fps? Forseeable future really. You wouldn't really have to worry about it.

3 0 0 W

what will come after we reach silicon limits? graphmeme is still way too far away, but it's the one thing that will give the highest performance/power

>reaching silicon limits
>with GPUs

not with gpus exclusively, more on the general

And?

looks like Charlie is dropping hints about what to expect from future GPUs
semiaccurate.com/2017/06/26/amds-epyc-lots-connections/
>While AMD did not go into explicit detail about IF and how it works, from the Epyc launch and other briefings you don’t have to dig very deep to come to the conclusion that the entire 2S system and PCIe cards can be treated as a single device. This may not do much at the moment but it is a powerful platform to build on in the near future.
in case you missed the important parts:
>PCIe cards can be treated as a single device
>it is a powerful platform to build on in the near future
>near future
WAIT FOR NAVI

>scalability
Hehehehe.

This. Navi has always be the one to wait for. Even if Vega turns out to be a dark horse and destroys Pascal is of no matter. If they can pull a Zen and make one efficient die that can scale however they want, then it's all over. A two die Navi card would be amazing, enthusiasts would love their 3+ die cards, and poorfriends will take their one die cards.

Don't forget the HPC niggers. Remember that slapping 4 400mm^2 dies and raping your competitor is absolutely legal on the market.

Will we ever have a smug Raja?

I think yes. Papermaster was some insane levels of smug on EPYC presentation.

Might have to watch it then. Intel must still be crying.

The software side of that must be like stepping into the eye of terror. When it works its amazingly brutal but get it wrong and OH GOD D(A)EMONS.

I don't think AMD will get it wrong, since they made the Infinity Fabric.

Why did AMD not keep Zen and Naples as their product names? They sound so much better than the terrible Ryzen, the somewhat ok Threadripper, and the terrible Epyc.

You can't trademark Zen and Naples.

zen would be a nightmare to trademark, naples too

repeat after me

1070 performance levels. when you factor out dx12 and vulkan meme shit and put in games people actually play with amds usual shit drivers thats what it will be

Because they can't register them. Naples is an italian city, and Zen is a buddhist school.

I shudder at the thought of how many man hours are lost in discussing the name of a product.

yup
>be AMD
>make single die with 32 CUs for low end
>stitch two together for 64 CU mid range cards
>stitch four together for 128 CU high end cards
well it's going to be on 7nm so who knows how many cores could actually be put on a single die, but if this actually happens we could see a gigantic leap in GPU performance

It's literally the Holy Grail of GPUs.

nvidiots would have us stay in 2011 forever

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES 300W & 375W

I sincerely doubt this would make a big difference. GCN's problem has always been CU under-utilization, not potential for raw parallel power. Simply strapping moar coars on it wouldn't bring it to 1080 Ti levels efficiency.

The savings would be pretty insane though. I honestly hope the Zeppelin strategy becomes an industry standard. This is a historical development.

game developers are usually slow to adopt new API

Vega is to GCN as is Maxwell to Tesla.

>game developers are usually slow to do any work

the comparison is still dumb. R7s are known to get i5 perf in some cases. that doesn't mean they're not vastly superior.

hopefully.

r7 are beastly but game makers are lazy and are designed around single thread intel compiler

It's not about ICC. Devs are simply lazy.

No reason not to wait for vega at the moment, considering you can't get a polaris card.

Lack of availability and waiting is at least giving me more time to save up and get a higher end card.

>GCN's problem has always been CU under-utilization
that's what vega is supposed to fix by bringing better IPC with more resources in rasterization and load balancing
it should* make vega more balanced than fiji which had 64CUs, but all other resources were the same as hawaii
* - hopefully