doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols2-material.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's not gnome.

more polished than other DE's but at a cost of resources

Looks great

>0.5 GiB at rest
Might already be beating Gnome.

have you seen gnome's memory usage?

the thing that strikes me the most is how discordant the colors are. like the whole window/buttons/menus/bars vs the icons.

even if windows 8 and 10 are ugly, there is consistency.

PS: the title bar and path/search bars are eyesores

>windows 10
>consistency
also if you turn on colors for borders it's exactly the same in windows 8 and 10

>windows 10
>design consistency

>windows 10
>consistency
Fucking lmao

>even if windows 8 and 10 are ugly, there is consistency
nigger what

windows 8 and 8.1 was duct taping aero with metro shit
then w10 went JUST and fucked up everything beyond recognition

GOAT quicklauncher
GOAT file manager and archive manager out of the box and integrated well with the DE
No need for any kind of tweak tool because it already does more by default than most DE's WITH one installed.

Only if you're running it on a toaster, or are too stupid to turn off desktop effects.

>Hey, it may be dogshit, but at least is not GNOME !

>Only if you're running it on a toaster, or are too stupid to turn off desktop effects.
And it still uses less resources than gnome, kek.

I wouldn't know. I tried kubuntu but it kept running like a piece of shit it is until I installed GNOME again.

Nope, KDE being heavy on resources is a meme, it is much lighter than gnome/cinnamon.

>What's the appeal?

An excellent level of customizability.

Features

it's better than gnome in every aspect
too bad it's still prone to crashes

you can set the active + inactive window title bar + the taskbar to the same color by using the dark workspace theme

OS X knockoff for poorfag freetards. If you're not too busy to even think about what DE you're using, you might as well just rice XFCE or Openbox to exactly what you want.

>Might already be beating Gnome.

I've always been very happy with KDE memory usage.

When I install KDE into a VM, 2GB of virtual RAM is fine.

>discordant
i too know words

>GNOME fresh install: 1.6GiB idle
>KDE fresh install: 550MiB idle

Where did GNOME go so wrong? It used to be so lightweight up to 3.10 or so.

>using Oxygen style in 2017
Why, user?

>use Gnome so as to be supported as the main Linux DE

>or use KDE and be cool

SO HARD CHOICES

Oxygen is nicer than Plasma IMO, shame GTK3 apps don't support Oxygen's themeing anymore.

it looks nice, very windows-y
I liek

Plasma > all

Jesus. Gnome rests at 0.7 to 1 GB for me, what the fuck.

It's the best looking and most functional DE out of the box, what do you think the appeal is?

Alright, so:
>GTK is shit
>Gnome devs believe that features are scary and confusing
>yet KDE uses less memory
>looks pretty nice
Also, pretty much everyone I know who uses Linux uses KDE, with the exception of my university's computers that run Arch with mate and xfce available (used to be xfce only).

Gnome 3 visually is a steaming pile of worthless shit. It looks like a failed OS from the early 2000's. The only think I like about it is the work flow while on laptops.

Looks nice and it's fairly consistent. I used to use KDE on my desktop but I've found that I like XFCE more because it has better themes, better built in apps, and uses 20% of the memory that KDE uses. I also despise the KDE wallet app. It's a buggy piece of shit that won't leave me alone.

Yes, we get it, Gnome is a shit pile. Who the fuck even uses that trash anyways?

eh, GNOME can look kind of windows-y too if you customize it. this is my setup now on GNOME.

nice user

How well does KDE Plasma deal with multiple monitors? Specifically with differing resolutions and orientations? I know GNOME is pretty shit at it

works4me

although really that shouldn't be a problem with any x11 randr DE

How the fuck does a Desktop written in only C++ use more memory than a Desktop written in fucking Javascript (aka GNOME 3/Cinnamon)?

all qt applications are ugly, as are all its styles.
If someone could port a decent material design-like theme, like adapta to QT/KDE, I'd switch from xfce instantly.

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols2-material.html
>If only we had the technology

Because that chart is outdated as fuck.

Literally what

10/10
Gonna try and copy that today

the appeal of kde is it is targeted desktop users.
krunner > menu systems and other shitty launchers.
The applications are a bit better in general.
They are very good at sharing code / features, which gives you more features faster, but also increases the dependencies which makes some people feel they need to install the entire kde library to use a single application.
The modularity is really good.
One I really love is having the terminal inside the file manager which pushed me further and further into the terminal as all the downsides were removed.
They offer graphical interfaces to config files which means more people configure the applications.
It starts in a configure mode which encourages people to change it to their liking instead of hiding these features away.

The problem is that it only looks like windows. On top of that, it has poor performance and can't handle vertical Taskbar because of gnome devs.

I understand why some would prefer a lighter DE or WM, but if you have resources to spare and want a more feature rich desktop there isn't really a better choice than KDE. GNOME competes for the same niche, but I think it offers too few advantages to be considered, if none. KDE also has their actual users in mind, unlike GNOME which is developed for fantomatic tech illiterate grampas that don't even use Linux and never will.
Nowadays KDE uses even less resources than GNOME, so it isn't even the heaviest DE anymore.
I never had crashes on the latest two releases of KDE(running Arch Linux). Maybe it was a problem in the past but it seems to be completely fixed now.

Why the fuck does your university run Arch? Sounds like pure hell to maintain.

Most crashes are on intel and nvidia hardware because the manufacturers refuse to fix their drivers and the kwin maintainer also refuses to put too many hacks into it to make it work with their shitty drivers.

Can't blame him, it would be an maintainable mess if he has to ifdev every single proprietary video card series.

Also, kwin uses completely different codepaths compared to mutter. The proprietary devs only really test their shit with it since gnome is the standard desktop on "enterprise" distros.

The only really way to get a good plasma experience is with older amd cards or getting lucky with the proprietary drivers.

um intel drivers are open source

Why won't they let me have a single, simple vertical taskbar/dock?

Why does gnome insist on wasting so much vertical space?

Oh I see now, I use open source Intel and AMD drivers so I haven't encountered issues so far.

this
GNOME 3 is heavier than KDE with none of the features. GNOME 3 is literally useless